Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo

A playable demo for Homeworld 3 - War Games is now available, offering the chance to play the return of this space-based RTS game from Blackbird Interactive and Gearbox Publishing. This is only available for a week, but is not strictly part of the Steam Next Fest, as the Windows demo is available on the Epic Games Store in addition to Steam. Here's the Demo Announcement Trailer and here's a bit from the announcement post:
This demo, available to all Steam players starting February 5 at 10am PT until February 12 at 10am PT, supports up to three players as they engage waves of hostiles in a series of increasingly challenging encounters. Players can find teammates through Quick Match or create a lobby to team up with friends online.

It’s important to note that any Fleets or Artifacts you unlock in the War Games demo will carry over when Homeworld 3 launches. For players not using Steam Cloud Saves, make sure you don't delete your demo files as we'll be sharing info on the exact transfer process later.

Each level presents a greater challenge and new modifiers to your next War Games run. This demo will feature four different maps and a slew of things to unlock as you continue to play, including different starting fleets (maybe even an extra special one!) plus new Artifacts and more.
View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo
Feb 7, 2024, 18:05
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 18:05
Feb 7, 2024, 18:05

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 7, 2024, 16:11:
By the way, rumors are saying it's got delayed for 2 months to "implement feedback"
EDIT; Not a rumor. they just posted it in the steam hub

Definitely a smart decision given the state of the game (as per the demo). It won't win me over personally because I still hate the DLC crap but if they want to have any chance of selling more than that "Year One Pass" (and I'm sure they would love to keep milking the shit out of players beyond just "Year One" because why else would they even assign the number 'One', right? Wink ) then they definitely need to deliver something smoother and, going by the Steam forums, especially listen to the old fans with regard to controls/camera etc.

For example, the person on their team who thought that it was a good idea to bind the center view on selected unit command to the fucking BACKSPACE key out of all keys, AND to add insult to injury make it a DOUBLE TAP action, really needs to be fired at least from the UI team.

Every sane PC gamer hates games that bind shit to completely dumb keys like 'Enter' or 'Backspace' which are usually very inconvenient to reach in any WASD-based game.

There was probably some hyperbole involved but I read several comments at the Steam forums from people (especially fans of HW1/2/DoK) who spent half an hour to an hour in the menu to rebind dozens upon dozens of keys in a vain attempt to at least come close to the classic controls.
Threadcrapper Extraordinaire

Feb 7, 2024, 17:39
Prez

Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 17:39
Feb 7, 2024, 17:39
 Prez

Oh I wasn't even sure if you were talking to me. I'm still futzing with the controls - everything where you control a camera is challenging to me though. So I don't even know myself if I am enjoying it. Throw in 3D space like a Homeworld game in there, and my struggle is compounded. Still working to see if it is for me. But I'm so excited that I want to fangirl! A new Homeworld game is up there with a new XCOM game for me.

The only thing I would say is that a long time ago, Alien Resurrection came out with what at the time was thought to be a stupid control scheme... until it was adopted by every first person shooter that used a controller in existence going forward. Bad example I know (FPS with a controller?!? Blasphemy!) but that always reminds me to keep an open mind and don't jump to conclusions. 😊
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 7, 2024, 17:15
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 17:15
Feb 7, 2024, 17:15

Demo has shown me I should hold off on buying the game at release. Second, it has helped me learn of the complex evo mod for HW1/2 and of a game by that mod team called Era One (same rts genre) coming out later this year possibly.

Also, it seems to be pretty universal in the complaints about the camera. I watched two streamers yesterday get frustrated with it on top of all the complaints I've read. Hopefully things get better for this game. The War Games roguelike mode is interesting to me though. But fighting over camera controls, speed and UI in general is not fun inducing.

Then again, I generally prefer Homeworld Cataclysm er Emergence (on GoG only these days last I checked) over HW1 and 2 these days.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2024, 17:30.

Feb 7, 2024, 16:11
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 16:11
Feb 7, 2024, 16:11

Prez wrote on Feb 7, 2024, 14:03:
So you are hyped by the option between 2 camera modes that neither work properly?

If that question was directed at me, then my answer is yep. I am. I have only messed with the controls to notice that it is a little different. I take a little more time to evaluate if it is good or bad. Changing the controls doesn't mean that they automatically "don't work properly".

I don't diz you for you liking something mate I just think this will be a huge flop if it releases like this in 4 weeks..... 99% of the complaints are about control/camera and the squad AI and the UI. Honestly not even sure how they managed to make it worse, but they did it. I had this wishlisted and now I don't. 3 hours of rogue lite made me go back to complex evo... where we have... a better mode like this (Complex Battlefield).

The persistent artifacts are something neat, wish Complex could do that in HW2, but everything else is just... and what happened to the textures?? Everything is low-res and that's on ULTRA highest settings. HW2 looks sharper to me

By the way, rumors are saying it's got delayed for 2 months to "implement feedback"
EDIT; Not a rumor. they just posted it in the steam hub

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2024, 16:21.

Feb 7, 2024, 14:03
Prez

Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 14:03
Feb 7, 2024, 14:03
 Prez

So you are hyped by the option between 2 camera modes that neither work properly?

If that question was directed at me, then my answer is yep. I am. I have only messed with the controls to notice that it is a little different. I take a little more time to evaluate if it is good or bad. Changing the controls doesn't mean that they automatically "don't work properly".
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 7, 2024, 12:50
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 12:50
Feb 7, 2024, 12:50

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 7, 2024, 12:13:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 7, 2024, 11:55:
So you are hyped by the option between 2 camera modes that neither work properly? Wasn't aware you are THAT easy to please
in case you don't know
Modern = you can't hotkey unit abilities
Classic = you can't move and focus properly because ALT + LEFT doesn't do anything. But you can use unit abilities

This was something HW2 had fixed decades ago

Reread my first post on this topic. It took me all of a minute how to figure out how to effectively use the controls. A lot of the grumbling I have read boils down to "Waaaaa! It doesn't work the way I want it to!" I don't care. Works just fine for me. Really looking forward to playing it on 3/8.

Most of the fundamental flaws are only visible in the rogue lite mode.

Feb 7, 2024, 12:13
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 12:13
Feb 7, 2024, 12:13

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 7, 2024, 11:55:
So you are hyped by the option between 2 camera modes that neither work properly? Wasn't aware you are THAT easy to please
in case you don't know
Classic = you can't move and focus properly because ALT + LEFT doesn't do anything. But you can use unit abilities

Reread my first post on this topic. It took me all of a minute how to figure out how to effectively use the controls. A lot of the grumbling I have read boils down to "Waaaaa! It doesn't work the way I want it to!" I don't care. Works just fine for me. Really looking forward to playing it on 3/8.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Feb 7, 2024, 11:55
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 11:55
Feb 7, 2024, 11:55

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 7, 2024, 11:45:
Prez wrote on Feb 7, 2024, 11:36:
Of course everyone hates it. Everyone here hates everything. I am super excited though. 😁

Hey! I didn't hate it! You take that back!

In fact, I haven't been this excited about a release in a long, long time.

in case you don't know

Feb 7, 2024, 11:45
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 11:45
Feb 7, 2024, 11:45

Prez wrote on Feb 7, 2024, 11:36:
Of course everyone hates it. Everyone here hates everything. I am super excited though. 😁

Hey! I didn't hate it! You take that back!

In fact, I haven't been this excited about a release in a long, long time.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Feb 7, 2024, 11:36
Prez

Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 11:36
Feb 7, 2024, 11:36
 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 7, 2024, 10:39
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 10:39
Feb 7, 2024, 10:39

I'm absolutely loving it. It took a bit to get used to the controls, but once I did I was having a blast. It feels very polished, and stable. I had no problems running it well on my 3070 with everything maxed out on 1440p. The only thing I haven't tried is having RT on, which I don't really care about. I'll be getting this game on day 1 for sure. I don't know if anyone knows, but you can make a private lobby match and just play against the computer that way.
“For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.”
― Richard P. Feynman

Feb 7, 2024, 10:38
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 10:38
Feb 7, 2024, 10:38

To be honest I think it's worse in everything but visuals than Complex EVO mod for HW2 remastered
And controls are god awful... it's a mix of modern and classic control which guarantees that nobody likes it (me neither)
Sigh... number 3 seems to be cursed. And what a shit demo to hype the game too. Where is the demo exclusice story mission? The prelude to the campaign? Zero care by Gearbox and you can tell.

Feb 7, 2024, 09:47
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 09:47
Feb 7, 2024, 09:47

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 7, 2024, 07:19:
Does the demo feature a tutorial mission of any kind (one that introduces and familiarizes the player with the control scheme)? I mean if it doesn't then the demo is going to hurt sales of the game more than it helps them.

Yup! The only single player mission is the intro tutorial and it's decently involved so you get a feel for controls, gameplay, and a peek at who is involved if you remember what units belonged to whom from the previous games.

Feb 7, 2024, 09:06
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 09:06
Feb 7, 2024, 09:06

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 7, 2024, 07:19:
Does the demo feature a tutorial mission of any kind (one that introduces and familiarizes the player with the control scheme)? I mean if it doesn't then the demo is going to hurt sales of the game more than it helps them.

Yes, it does. I would recommend it. The game does remind me of the original.
"For petes sake, have you ever read an article before one of your inane hot takes."
~RedEye9

Feb 7, 2024, 08:42
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 08:42
Feb 7, 2024, 08:42

Big demo--17.9GBs on Steam. I'll give it a shot.
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Feb 7, 2024, 07:19
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 07:19
Feb 7, 2024, 07:19

Feb 7, 2024, 06:56
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 06:56
Feb 7, 2024, 06:56

RogueSix wrote on Feb 6, 2024, 21:13:
I first thought that I just sucked when I struggled with the camera and controls but then...

The Homeworld series introduced and refined one of the absolute best RTS in 3D space control schemes.
The advanced controls flow well and no game has done a better job in giving the player control and visual access to a battle space with full 6 degrees of freedom. Casual RTS players are used to top down perspective views with extreamly limited if any vertical camera movement. It is a learning curve and less than 50% of Steam players of Homeworld Remastered ever get past the second mission. This is not unique to Homeworld, but any RTS presented in full 3D space finds a limited audience. It's not the control schemes but the full 3D space that is the challenge. Full 3D space RTS are just not for everyone.

As a fan of the series, the only control issue of significance was when they used a slightly divergent control scheme for Homeworld Cataclysim (now relabled Homeworld Emergence).

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - HT

Feb 7, 2024, 03:36
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 03:36
Feb 7, 2024, 03:36

I didn't play deserts of Kharak, but I heard good things about it. I dislike prequels as a general rule especially prequels to stories which unfold in an extremely.....hmm final way.
I think this has the potential to be great, the aesthetic at least looks good. Although it looks like every single battle is fought amongst huge space stations\relics\debris etc. hopefully we get some "open" space maps too.

Feb 7, 2024, 02:46
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 02:46
Feb 7, 2024, 02:46

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 7, 2024, 02:22:
A big, part of....no let me rephrase that, the BIGGEST part that made the Homeworld experience so awesome was the story and the campaign. The feeling of progress as you grow your fleet and grow from an exiled race into a galactic powerhouse.

Did you play Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak? BBI is made up of a bunch of old school Relic devs from the HW days and they nailed the prequel's vibe and story within the HW universe. I would not presume to automatically assume they did the same with HW3, but their previous title suggests they likely will.

Feb 7, 2024, 02:22
Re: Homeworld 3 - War Games Demo Feb 7, 2024, 02:22
Feb 7, 2024, 02:22

A big, part of....no let me rephrase that, the BIGGEST part that made the Homeworld experience so awesome was the story and the campaign. The feeling of progress as you grow your fleet and grow from an exiled race into a galactic powerhouse.

Rougelite? Yeah....erm.....that's not what this series is about. I'm probably going to try the demo to check out how the game looks and plays, but I can live with the shitty controls if the rest of the gameplay and story is great, which we won't see until release.
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older