Out of the Blue

Well, I survived my colonoscopy well enough. Thanks again for all the well-wishing. It was good news and bad news, and the bad news could be far worse. I have to go back for another of these again a year from now to make sure nothing remains of a polyp that was apparently in a tricky spot. Oh yeah, and it cost me a couple of grand, which is one hell of a copayment. The good news is that the results were pretty normal, the outcome is deemed positive, and my prep was not nearly as difficult as the first time I went through all this. The prep being easier is an especially positive development in light of needing to repeat the procedure again so soon. I'm actually dreading next year's copayment far more than loading up on the industrial strength laxatives.

Easy Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: OotB: Survivor
Dec 30, 2023, 15:44
Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 30, 2023, 15:44
Dec 30, 2023, 15:44

ZeroPike1 wrote on Dec 30, 2023, 05:23:
I forgot how bad „co-payments“ were, it’s an utter nonsense way to limit medical services.

It Cuts off the poors.

And I have mine coming up this month as well. And since they knock me out for an hour for it they are going to look into my stomach as well. I’m sure they will find something or other though.

Meh. Hope it’s not a repeat thing, 2 days of drinking some chemicals to clear it all out is the most annoying part of the entire thing.

2 days? It's always been 1 for me - I've been scoped 3 times, both ends. You can eat up until midnight then it's a whole day of fasting with lots of water, and blue jello if you like, Ducolax and the prescription laxative - name escapes me. The worst part is as you get toward the end of that day and you know you're cleaned out but the laxatives are still going strong so all the water you're drinking basically goes right in one end and out the other. There were points I was parked on the can for upwards of an hour because every time I got up it was like, 'Whoa, here we go again!'

I've done intermittent fasting beside that and I find once you get past the initial hunger pains it's not bad at all. They fade pretty quick. It only sucks when you see some delicious food on TV and think how nice that would be right now. And even after the procedure I can usually go the rest of the day without any strong desire to eat either. Like they say, people can live a long time without food.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Dec 30, 2023, 05:23
Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 30, 2023, 05:23
Dec 30, 2023, 05:23

I forgot how bad „co-payments“ were, it’s an utter nonsense way to limit medical services.

It Cuts off the poors.

And I have mine coming up this month as well. And since they knock me out for an hour for it they are going to look into my stomach as well. I’m sure they will find something or other though.

Meh. Hope it’s not a repeat thing, 2 days of drinking some chemicals to clear it all out is the most annoying part of the entire thing.
Rimmer: “Step up to Red Alert.”
Kryten: “Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.”

ALSO: https://www.stopkillinggames.com/

Dec 30, 2023, 05:18
Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 30, 2023, 05:18
Dec 30, 2023, 05:18

Chinese Chess Champ Loses Title For Taking A Dump In A Bathtub.

My mind immediately went to anal beads. I wasn't expecting it to be true. Makes you wonder about the whole Hans Niemann/Magnus Carlsen thing.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Chinese Chess Champ Loses Title For Taking A Dump In A Bathtub
Dec 30, 2023, 01:15
Chinese Chess Champ Loses Title For Taking A Dump In A Bathtub Dec 30, 2023, 01:15
Dec 30, 2023, 01:15

According to Chenglong, he couldn’t make it to the toilet in time and simply opted for the bathtub because…I guess it was right there?

Um usually the toilet is somewhere close to the tub. How could this Kung Poo Master not make the john? What, was it located down the hall?
With a damaged Panzer still hunting 'The Haunted Tank' and Gus out of ammo, Jeb knew there was only one option, "Slim, RAM!"

Dec 29, 2023, 22:31
Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 29, 2023, 22:31
Dec 29, 2023, 22:31

Cutter wrote on Dec 29, 2023, 22:04:
Uh yeah. I had mine last year and it cost me...nothing - beyond taxes paid obviously. Every time I've ever been to a doctor, hospital, had surgery or procedure my bill has come out to a big fat zero. Zero my hero. You'd have to pay me a lot to live in the US these days.
I've had a few colonoscopies, and they cost me exactly zero Australian dollars. USA's attitude to public health is just mind-boggling.

Re: Polyps. I had a few that just went away on their own. Definitely working following up on, but there's a good chance they'll just turn out to be benign.

Dec 29, 2023, 22:04
Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 29, 2023, 22:04
Dec 29, 2023, 22:04

Rhialto wrote on Dec 29, 2023, 13:02:
and it cost me a couple of grand

You mean you had to pay for the exam? Or the polyp removal? I'm glad in my country it's not like this whatever the issue.

Uh yeah. I had mine last year and it cost me...nothing - beyond taxes paid obviously. Every time I've ever been to a doctor, hospital, had surgery or procedure my bill has come out to a big fat zero. Zero my hero. You'd have to pay me a lot to live in the US these days.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Dec 29, 2023, 21:10
Cax
Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 29, 2023, 21:10
Dec 29, 2023, 21:10
Cax

Glad the colonoscopy went well.
You do know they don’t actually put you to sleep
They just give you something that’s stops you from remembering the procedure.
If it’s any conciliation, know the implant went well.

Dec 29, 2023, 20:35
Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 29, 2023, 20:35
Dec 29, 2023, 20:35

Glad to hear things are okay Stephen. I just sent in a Cologuard test two weeks ago that came back positive. Next step is the colonoscopy.

This all comes under the heading of what I call "Old Man Shit" Annoyed
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Dec 29, 2023, 19:30
Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 29, 2023, 19:30
Dec 29, 2023, 19:30

I've been exactly where you are. After the first visit, they found a polyp so I ended up having to go back a year later. On the next visit it was all clear so it's every 5 years now.
The big difference is it never cost me out of pocket as it's covered under OHIP or the Ontario Health Insurance Plan. I get the cost of living is higher here but just stating what is fact.

Dec 29, 2023, 18:48
Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 29, 2023, 18:48
Dec 29, 2023, 18:48

If you paid, you should look into that. Routine ones are supposed to be free under the ACA. You only pay if you go in requesting one off cycle due to complaint.

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires both private insurers and Medicare to cover the costs of colorectal cancer screening tests, because these tests are recommended by the United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF). The law stipulates that there should be no out-of-pocket costs for patients, such as co-pays or deductibles, for these screening tests. But the definition of a "screening" test can sometimes be confusing, as discussed below.

The USPSTF currently recommends that people at average risk start colorectal cancer screening at age 45.

The ACA doesn’t apply to health plans that were in place before it was passed in 2010, which are called “grandfathered plans.” You can find out if your insurance plan is grandfathered by contacting your health insurance company or your employer’s human resources department. Even if you have a grandfathered plan, it may still have coverage requirements from state laws, which vary, and other federal laws.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Dec 29, 2023, 16:46
Wilhuf

Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 29, 2023, 16:46
Dec 29, 2023, 16:46
 Wilhuf

It will all be ok.

In the end.

Dec 29, 2023, 15:18
Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 29, 2023, 15:18
Dec 29, 2023, 15:18

Oh yeah, and it cost me a couple of grand, which is one hell of a copayment.

Sounds like they ripped you a new asshole instead of using the one you had.

Dec 29, 2023, 14:53
Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 29, 2023, 14:53
Dec 29, 2023, 14:53

Rhialto wrote on Dec 29, 2023, 13:02:
You mean you had to pay for the exam? Or the polyp removal? I'm glad in my country it's not like this whatever the issue.
Ditto, I have to do it every 2 years.

Dec 29, 2023, 14:48
Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 29, 2023, 14:48
Dec 29, 2023, 14:48

Yes, for anyone hesitant to do a colonoscopy, the prep is much easier than it used to be. My doctor just has me drink 64 ounces of water (or gatorade if preferred) mixed with a bottle Miralax, and pop four Ducolax tablets. The result is nowhere as violent or explosive as previous methods - a lot easier on the body.

I've only done it twice in 5 years, and actually look forward to it as cleanse and reset. They have never found a polyp in me.

The wife has to do it every 2 years because she always has a couple of small polyps.

My biggest initial hesitation of doing the first one was a bad memory of recovering from anesthesia when I was 10 years old. Thankfully modern anesthetics are much improved. Your brain goes off like a light bulb, and then comes back on.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Dec 29, 2023, 14:13
Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 29, 2023, 14:13
Dec 29, 2023, 14:13

I can't believe that copayment, it seems outrageous. Glad to hear it was mostly normal Blue, sorry you have to repeat so soon.

Dec 29, 2023, 13:02
Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 29, 2023, 13:02
Dec 29, 2023, 13:02

Dec 29, 2023, 12:24
Re: OotB: Survivor Dec 29, 2023, 12:24
Dec 29, 2023, 12:24

Boeing 737 Max, the gift that keeps on giving.
Billy Connolly - Colonoscopy obviously nsfw
It sounds better in Scottish. Wink
the rats involved in the shooting of the scene weren’t harmed
And they're rats. jfc
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older