SSI and Mindscape Rereleases

SNEG announces the re-release of more classic games from the heyday of SSI and Mindscape Games in the 1980s-1990s. Updated for modern systems and now available for Windows are Phantasie Memorial Set (GOG.com* and Steam), Star Command (GOG.com* and Steam), Wargame Construction Set Collection (GOG.com* and Steam), Prophecy of the Shadow (GOG.com* and Steam), Renegade: Battle for Jacob's Star (GOG.com* and Steam), Savage Warriors (GOG.com* and Steam), and WarBreeds (GOG.com* and Steam). There's also a sale bundle of SSI Classics on GOG.com* and Steam which includes some of these games. Here's word:
SNEG, renowned publisher of long-lost classic titles, is proud to announce that its next collection of SSI and Mindscape-era games is available now on PC via GOG and Steam. This collection ā€” which features Phantasie, Star Command, Great Naval Battles, and more ā€” follows previous releases such as the Dungeons & Dragons Gold Box and Silver Box Classics collections, the 5 Star General games, and Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace.
*Blue's News may receive a commission on sales of this item.
View : : :
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: SSI and Mindscape Rereleases
Dec 20, 2023, 14:40
Re: SSI and Mindscape Rereleases Dec 20, 2023, 14:40
Dec 20, 2023, 14:40

I am amused by the rerelease of "Renegade: Battle for Jacob's Star", but I hope they also rerelease "Renegade Legion: Interceptor". I enjoyed the risk/reward maneuver system and the unique battle damage system.

Dec 20, 2023, 03:08
Re: SSI and Mindscape Rereleases Dec 20, 2023, 03:08
Dec 20, 2023, 03:08

MacLeod wrote on Dec 19, 2023, 19:44:
Looking at the bundle, it's a shame some of them are the DOS CGA versions (Phantasie games), instead of using an emulator engine of some sort and running the Amiga or Atari ST versions.

I am probably going to pick up at least Veil of Darkness and The Summoning though.

Feel free to find the Atari/Amiga versions of these games and play them on WinUAE/STEEM. Iā€™m currently playing the ST version of Star Command (the first game I ever played on PC back in the late 80s).

Dec 20, 2023, 01:28
Re: SSI and Mindscape Rereleases Dec 20, 2023, 01:28
Dec 20, 2023, 01:28

Oh man, "Renegade: Battle for Jacob's Star"; that was a classic. It came out against "Wing Commander III" and by every particular, it was the inferior game...but it was still a lot of fun and had a rocking sound track. I still have my original CD-ROM of the game, but I think it would be worth to invest in a GOG digital release, if only for ease of install and play.

Dec 19, 2023, 20:27
Re: SSI and Mindscape Rereleases Dec 19, 2023, 20:27
Dec 19, 2023, 20:27

I played the CGA Phantasie games after Pool of Radiance. Maybe today's kids will have similar memories of BG3.

Dec 19, 2023, 20:18
Re: SSI and Mindscape Rereleases Dec 19, 2023, 20:18
Dec 19, 2023, 20:18

MacLeod wrote on Dec 19, 2023, 19:44:
Looking at the bundle, it's a shame some of them are the DOS CGA versions (Phantasie games), instead of using an emulator engine of some sort and running the Amiga or Atari ST versions.
After looking at those screenshots, I'd happily settle for the C64 versions. It's great that we are seeing more SSI games come to GOG though; I have fond memories of messing around with the first Wargame Construction Set all those decades ago

I'd love to see them release some more of the old Origin Systems titles as well, such as Times of Lore, Moebius, or Autoduel.

Dec 19, 2023, 19:44
Re: SSI and Mindscape Rereleases Dec 19, 2023, 19:44
Dec 19, 2023, 19:44

I am probably going to pick up at least Veil of Darkness and The Summoning though.
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older