PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year

An announcement on Steam narrows the expected launch window for the promised PC edition of Horizon Forbidden West to early 2024. The Epic Games Store and Steam Listings are each now live so this can be wishlisted. Here's the Complete Edition Accolades Trailer and a refresher on what to expect from the PC edition of this PlayStation action/RPG:
Join Aloy as she braves the Forbidden West, a deadly frontier that conceals mysterious new threats.

This Complete Edition allows you to enjoy the critically acclaimed Horizon Forbidden West™ in its entirety with bonus content, including the Burning Shores story expansion that picks up after the main game.

• Brave an expansive open world – discover distant lands, new enemies, rich cultures and striking characters.
  • A majestic frontier – explore the lush forests, sunken cities and towering mountains of a far-future America.
  • Confront new dangers – engage in strategic battles against enormous machines and mounted human enemies by using weapons, gear and traps crafted from salvaged parts.
  • Unravel startling mysteries – uncover the secret behind Earth’s imminent collapse and unlock a hidden chapter in the ancient past… one that will change Aloy forever.

View : : :
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year
Dec 8, 2023, 08:03
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 8, 2023, 08:03
Dec 8, 2023, 08:03

AngelicPenguin wrote on Dec 7, 2023, 19:46:
Beamer wrote on Dec 7, 2023, 06:42:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Dec 6, 2023, 23:35:
Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2023, 20:48:
Pointless nontroversies aside, Horizon immediately got me with a startlingly unique premise, and the game was great.

Ya the combat was super fun, story was interesting with some good twists, voice acting was pretty great (RIP Lance Reddick) and the world was fun to explore and looked really amazing.

Again, maybe I missed something, but I felt I was getting weaker, not stronger.

There were definitely some tougher enemies but mostly it was about figuring out what they were doing that would murder you and then dismantling that. Certainly didn’t seem frustratingly hard and I’m pretty terrible at reflexes

I guess I'm like the RogueSix. Yes, it's obvious what you need to hit - they were basically crabs that you hit the big red spot for massive damage (actually yellow, if I recall, but the crabs from the quote were red.) But rolling past their attacks so you could hit them in the backside just wasn't much fun. Especially if there were multiple. It was a lot of fun to start, but the bullet spongier they became, the more tedious it felt. Taking something difficult out the first time as a boss battle is one thing, but when you get to a valley and it's suddenly full of creatures that take about the same length of time to kill, I'm moving on to something else. Once you know the dodge-roll-turn-shoottheweakspot mechanic, you hope it gets faster. For me, just more tedious.

Dec 8, 2023, 01:52
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 8, 2023, 01:52
Dec 8, 2023, 01:52

Bodolza wrote on Dec 7, 2023, 13:04:
I enjoyed the combat in the first one. As others have said, it takes a bit to figure out how you're supposed to play. The game doesn't really hand-hold on that one.

Actually, it does hold your hand plenty if you listen to the NPCs and actually read the tutorials etc. - And that is exactly why I found the combat underwhelming and boring after a while. It was so formulaic.

The machines became bigger and bigger sponges, the further you progressed, and depending on the machine, you simply had to follow certain "procedures" to take them apart bit by bit. This was fun for a short while every time you came across a new machine or a new arrow/munitions/damage type to put to use against the machine in question but then the game threw thousands of those machines at you so it just began to feel repetitive, tedious and annoying when you simply wanted to get on with exploration or the story.

IIRC, I actually dialed down the difficulty about half way through 'Frozen Wilds' just to get through the fights faster, not because it was hard. It was time consuming, repetitive and tedious, not hard.
Threadcrapper Extraordinaire

Dec 7, 2023, 19:46
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 7, 2023, 19:46
Dec 7, 2023, 19:46

Beamer wrote on Dec 7, 2023, 06:42:
Pointless nontroversies aside, Horizon immediately got me with a startlingly unique premise, and the game was great.

Ya the combat was super fun, story was interesting with some good twists, voice acting was pretty great (RIP Lance Reddick) and the world was fun to explore and looked really amazing.

There were definitely some tougher enemies but mostly it was about figuring out what they were doing that would murder you and then dismantling that. Certainly didn’t seem frustratingly hard and I’m pretty terrible at reflexes

Dec 7, 2023, 16:13
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 7, 2023, 16:13
Dec 7, 2023, 16:13

Argonius the 3rd wrote on Dec 7, 2023, 04:42:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Dec 6, 2023, 23:32:
Argonius the 3rd wrote on Dec 6, 2023, 15:10:
It's the sequel where for whatever reason, they made Aloy uglier. Look at the difference ! That is crazy !

This is a joke post right?

The fact that she doesn't look anything like that in the first game, coupled with the insane good looks should have made it blatantly obvious that this was a joke. Not only it flew over people's heads, some went into defensive mode... lol
Considering this was a massive (non)issue when the game first was shown off, how are we supposed to know you're "only kidding" without actually knowing you? For all we know, you're now just backpedaling the whole thing and calling it 'for the lulz' because you got called out.

Dec 7, 2023, 13:04
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 7, 2023, 13:04
Dec 7, 2023, 13:04

I enjoyed the combat in the first one. As others have said, it takes a bit to figure out how you're supposed to play. The game doesn't really hand-hold on that one. The main story was involving, as well. My main issue was that the writing on the side quests was garbage. They mostly felt like filler.

Dec 7, 2023, 11:51
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 7, 2023, 11:51
Dec 7, 2023, 11:51

The spear was upgradable (increased base damage through quest rewards, mods were added with the expansion IIRC), but I don't think it was ever meant to be a primary weapon. You sneak attack or use it to stagger or finish off enemies that manage to get close. New tiers of the ranged weapons were spaced out through your story progress, but mods went up to ~50% bonus damage for their primary attribute. Slot your high-damage bow with physical damage, elemental weapons with their specific damage types, etc. and use what each enemy is weakest against.

Defeating machines efficiently is always more about identifying weak points and targeting components, though... A feeling that combat was too difficult is most likely the result of not realizing that attacking the components ends up dealing as much or even more indirect damage than your projectiles when they're removed. So for anything large enough to not go down with one or two simple weakpoint hits, you focus on using physical/elemental damage to destroy those for a bonus explosion or 'tear' damage to knock them off for later retrieval. Learn which components will disable special attacks to neuter their offensive ability in the process. 'Tear' damage is also very important later on for removing armor plating, which will resist direct damage and protect their most sensitive components.

I personally found it very satisfying to systematically dismantle the huge enemies like the T-Rex, which had so many components that they'd usually drop dead before you finished harvesting them all. I was doing that with the controller on PS4, so aiming with the mouse on PC should make it a piece of cake. Damn, I'm feeling like I want to replay it now...

Dec 7, 2023, 11:35
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 7, 2023, 11:35
Dec 7, 2023, 11:35

yonder wrote on Dec 6, 2023, 15:45:
Is it safe to presume it'll be a low-quality port to help "inspire" people that want to play it in a decent state to buy a PS5?
Nope, the first game was a great port and took advantage of more powerful gaming PCs to make the game look even better than it did on PS4. I'd expect the same for this port.

Dec 7, 2023, 11:23
Watter

Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 7, 2023, 11:23
Dec 7, 2023, 11:23
 Watter

I initially really enjoyed the gameplay, so I was willing to ignore what I assumed were ridiculous premises, but by the time the game ended and we really got to see "why" things were the way they were, I was able to really buy in to the premise and I was surprised at how much of a difference that made to my enjoyment of the game overall.

The one big area I had to roll my eyes for and just suspend my sense of disbelief was the idea that anybody would combine bio fuel conversion and self-replication into any war machine. That just reeked of "See!! Evil corporations bad!!!" But hey, you gotta make the story work somehow.

Dec 7, 2023, 09:29
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 7, 2023, 09:29
Dec 7, 2023, 09:29

Yeah, in terms of combat the game way overstayed its welcome for me personally. I enjoyed the exploration and the story (not so much Aloy's story per se but the background story) but the combat got tedious after a while to the point it became actually annoying once I reached the 'Frozen Wilds' expansion stuff. The machines just got bigger and bigger and more bullet (or arrow) spongy.
It just got very boring and old to zap/roll around maniacally while trying to take pot shots at the weak points. I also really enjoyed the stealth kills in the early game but stealth was pretty much relegated to uselessness in the later game. You could use it as an opener occasionally but it did not really make much of a difference.

Zero Dawn was one of those games where I was glad when the credits finally rolled by.
This is why I'm in no hurry to get this sequel. I want to play it because I'm curious how the story/world continues but killing another 10 billion machines isn't exactly anything I'm looking forward to. That's why I will be waiting for that sweet €19.99 sale.
Threadcrapper Extraordinaire

Dec 7, 2023, 06:42
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 7, 2023, 06:42
Dec 7, 2023, 06:42

The combat didn't work for me. I've said it before, and maybe I missed something, but I felt like it was just getting harder. I was really only a bit past when the world truly opens up but there were larger, more dangerous machines everywhere, yet I felt weak. Shops were selling the same weapons, and upgrades seem to be something you could use only 1 of and were along the lines of "1% increase in damage." And, if I recall, you couldn't upgrade your melee weapon.

So there'd be a large fire robot that would take 4 minutes of diving to avoid to finally kill, and it just felt time consuming and tedious to me. Especially if it killed you towards the end and you had to reload somewhere. Avoiding felt more practical, but less fun.

Dec 7, 2023, 06:37
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 7, 2023, 06:37
Dec 7, 2023, 06:37

Argonius the 3rd wrote on Dec 7, 2023, 04:42:
It's the sequel where for whatever reason, they made Aloy uglier. Look at the difference ! That is crazy !

The fact that she doesn't look anything like that in the first game, coupled with the insane good looks should have made it blatantly obvious that this was a joke. Not only it flew over people's heads, some went into defensive mode... lol

Poe's Law.
Legitimately, GamerGater types were making the exact post you did in earnest. The saddest people

Dec 7, 2023, 04:42
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 7, 2023, 04:42
Dec 7, 2023, 04:42

Dec 7, 2023, 00:31
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 7, 2023, 00:31
Dec 7, 2023, 00:31

Like most console games I found it repetitive and boring fast. I agree with the rest of your assessment however.
"While playing golf today I hit two good balls. I stepped on a rake." - Henny Youngman

Dec 6, 2023, 23:35
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 6, 2023, 23:35
Dec 6, 2023, 23:35

Dec 6, 2023, 23:32
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 6, 2023, 23:32
Dec 6, 2023, 23:32

This is a joke post right? If not, I played through the entirety of the first game not so long ago on PC and she mostly looked like the pic on the right - albeit that is clearly one to intentionally make her look bad (frown, etc). The one on the left is most certainly not what she looked like. Someone altered that pic imho.

Dec 6, 2023, 22:35
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 6, 2023, 22:35
Dec 6, 2023, 22:35

Xero wrote on Dec 6, 2023, 16:03:
The original was a beauty to look at, but I just couldn't get into it for whatever reason. The environment was interestingly odd. I found it nice to look at, at times and other times I thought it was just weird. The acting didn't sell it for me either which really took me out of immersion.

you ain't wrong - it took me literally years to get into after buying it, but man was it worth it. beautiful game; heart wrenching story. the only real downside is that it didn't have a huge budget and it shows in some small ways, especially the voice acting for minor characters. which reminds me; i still need to beat the second game after taking a year long break XD

Dec 6, 2023, 20:48
Prez

Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 6, 2023, 20:48
Dec 6, 2023, 20:48
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Dec 6, 2023, 20:38
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 6, 2023, 20:38
Dec 6, 2023, 20:38

Pr()ZaC wrote on Dec 6, 2023, 20:24:
Beamer wrote on Dec 6, 2023, 19:04:
HoSpanky wrote on Dec 6, 2023, 18:02:

That’s because the first image isn’t from the game at all. It’s someone’s stylized, dolled-up fan art. Also, in the second image they picked a terrible shot of her, just to try to make it a bigger difference. She never looks like a supermodel in either game, she looks like a person who has never even heard of makeup because it doesn’t exist.

I mean, she's an outcast cave woman and that first photo has her wearing eyeliner and mascara. Ok. Sure. Humanity hasn't had the means to manufacture those for centuries, and there are no mirrors, and they're really just concerned with having food to eat, but sure.

That image is 100% from the same people that say they don't want gay people in BG3 for historical accuracy...
Yet the game features machines far more advanced than anything we'll see in the next 50 (I dare say) years.

You misunderstand. Horizon takes place in the future, yes, but it's so far in the future (after an apocalypse led to the collapse of society) that humanity is completely rebooting from isolated tribes. So, as stated, it's been hundreds of years SINCE modern makeup was around.

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2023, 20:50.

Dec 6, 2023, 20:24
Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 6, 2023, 20:24
Dec 6, 2023, 20:24

Beamer wrote on Dec 6, 2023, 19:04:
HoSpanky wrote on Dec 6, 2023, 18:02:

That’s because the first image isn’t from the game at all. It’s someone’s stylized, dolled-up fan art. Also, in the second image they picked a terrible shot of her, just to try to make it a bigger difference. She never looks like a supermodel in either game, she looks like a person who has never even heard of makeup because it doesn’t exist.

I mean, she's an outcast cave woman and that first photo has her wearing eyeliner and mascara. Ok. Sure. Humanity hasn't had the means to manufacture those for centuries, and there are no mirrors, and they're really just concerned with having food to eat, but sure.

That image is 100% from the same people that say they don't want gay people in BG3 for historical accuracy...
Yet the game features machines far more advanced than anything we'll see in the next 50 (I dare say) years.

Dec 6, 2023, 19:54
Prez

Re: PC Horizon Forbidden West Early Next Year Dec 6, 2023, 19:54
Dec 6, 2023, 19:54
 Prez

I bought a PlayStation 4 some years ago just to play The Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn. I figured there was no way those would ever get ported to PC. Well, at least I made some kid happy by giving away my Playstation 4...
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older