Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles

Here's an official press release that arrived last night in the scramble to officially unveil Grand Theft Auto VI following the leak of its trailer. This fills in some details on the next installment in the open-world crime series, including word that the planned 2025 release is for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S, so, as usual, there will be an additional wait before this launches on PC. Word is the game will take us to surrounding areas in the state of Leonida besides Vice City in what's being called the "biggest, most immersive evolution" yet for the series:
Rockstar Games®, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is proud to announce that Grand Theft Auto VI is coming to PlayStation® 5 computer entertainment systems and Xbox Series X|S games and entertainment systems in 2025.

“Grand Theft Auto VI continues our efforts to push the limits of what’s possible in highly immersive, story-driven open-world experiences,” said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. “We’re thrilled to be able to share this new vision with players everywhere.”

Grand Theft Auto VI heads to the state of Leonida, home to the neon-soaked streets of Vice City and beyond in the biggest, most immersive evolution of the Grand Theft Auto series yet. Watch Trailer 1 now at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBZY2fkU-0
View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: GTA6 PC Will Trail Consoles
Dec 7, 2023, 04:44
Re: GTA6 PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 7, 2023, 04:44
Dec 7, 2023, 04:44

Well it worked for them the last few times. My PC is ahead of my consoles on paper but the fixed target optimisation always seems to deliver better results on the toys. It's a TV game for me anyway so I'll live but still a dick move.

Dec 6, 2023, 14:44
Re: GTA6 PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 6, 2023, 14:44
Dec 6, 2023, 14:44

slx wrote on Dec 6, 2023, 12:55:
„...there will be an additional wait before this launches on PC.” Does it mean GTA6 will be released in 2026 or later???
I think your supposition is correct, unfortunately.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Dec 6, 2023, 12:55
slx
Re: GTA6 PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 6, 2023, 12:55
Dec 6, 2023, 12:55
slx

„...there will be an additional wait before this launches on PC.” Does it mean GTA6 will be released in 2026 or later???

Re: Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles
Dec 6, 2023, 12:44
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 6, 2023, 12:44
Dec 6, 2023, 12:44

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 6, 2023, 04:09:
There is no actual mention of a PC version in the said release. People assume it will come to the PC but there is no guarantee that they will not pull a Red Dead Redemption 1 on us all, and just let it rot on the consoles forever.

That would be hilariously funny as fuck and there is no amount of popcorn in the world that would even begin to cover the LULZ but I don't think that is gonna happen. The PC is pretty insignificant for Take2/Rockstar but a sweet couple hundred million in sales and MTX is nothing to sneeze at either.

That said, I'm sure they will act like complete primadonnas again when someone has the bold audacity to even ask about a PC version and they will surely delay any announcement and the release for as long as possible.
Threadcrapper Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2023, 04:09
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 6, 2023, 04:09
Dec 6, 2023, 04:09

There is no actual mention of a PC version in the said release. People assume it will come to the PC but there is no guarantee that they will not pull a Red Dead Redemption 1 on us all, and just let it rot on the consoles forever.

Dec 5, 2023, 20:52
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 5, 2023, 20:52
Dec 5, 2023, 20:52

Prez wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 18:23:
I thought it was already established that make this a timed console exclusive so as to not cannibalize console sales. Maybe I was under the wrong impression, but I am not in the least bit surprised as I knew this would be the case. They've done the the same thing for 3 releases prior to this. It's between 6 months to a year IIRC.
Honestly, it's a lot of work to prep a PC release. Sure, maybe there's some attempt to appeal to PC folks FOMO and get them to purchase the console version first and then the PC version. But it's probably just the case the porting and testing the PC version requires vastly more resources than the console due to the infinite number of hardware and driver combinations, especially for a game with the scope of a GTA.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Dec 5, 2023, 18:23
Prez

Re: Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 5, 2023, 18:23
Dec 5, 2023, 18:23
 Prez

I thought it was already established that make this a timed console exclusive so as to not cannibalize console sales. Maybe I was under the wrong impression, but I am not in the least bit surprised as I knew this would be the case. They've done the the same thing for 3 releases prior to this. It's between 6 months to a year IIRC.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Dec 5, 2023, 17:30
Re: GTA6 PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 5, 2023, 17:30
Dec 5, 2023, 17:30

2025 ? Yeah right, this is Rockstar.... a late 2026 console release is more likely. Followed by a summer 2028 PC release.

Dec 5, 2023, 17:17
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 5, 2023, 17:17
Dec 5, 2023, 17:17

Fion wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 17:00:
While traditionally GTA games do have a staggered release for PC. I'm not so sure that'll be the case this time, for one simple reason... PC game sales outstrip console sales. There are nearly half a billion more PC gamers than there are console gamers worldwide. As of last year, PC game sales account for 43% of all non-mobile games sold. Consoles account for about 10% more, that's all three consoles combined. Neither alone comes close to PC game sales.

For that reason, I suspect it's more likely that PC will be in the initial release window with possibly xbox being released shortly after because the developers will need to achieve performance windows for both the 1x and s.

Please... these silly numbers always come up in clickbait headlines but when you look closely then the PC is only strong if you factor in the Korean/Chinese markets and the sales of games that none of us has ever even heard about. And those games run on PCs/laptops that would combust instantly if you would even think about running a game like GTA VI on them.

If you look at the western video game market and the revenue by platform numbers of ANY major publisher (like EA & co.) then consoles still rule supreme, of course. The PC usually makes up between 15% and 25% of revenues. There is a reason why the PC still gets treated like an inferior platform and why we still get sloppy ports or controls that can not be customized or that were poorly adapted from gamepad to M/KB etc. etc. etc.

The consoles absolutely remain the most important market for western publishers. And mobile is very strong for Actiblizz thanks to Candy Crush and various other mobile flagship titles.

EDIT: Since this is about Rockstar, why don't we actually take a look at Take2 numbers? Here's some numbers for FY2023 straight from Take2's IR pages.

Take2 revenue by platform in FY 2023:

- Mobile (47% of total) = $2,502 million
- Consoles (43% of total) = $2,258 million
- PC and other (10% of total) = $524 million

^ The numbers speak for themselves...

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2023, 17:28.

Dec 5, 2023, 17:15
Jim
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 5, 2023, 17:15
Dec 5, 2023, 17:15
Jim

czarsquid wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 15:56:
Huh, I get making video games are hard but even Bethesda puts in the absolute minimal effort to get simultaneous launch of their games on all platforms. I wonder what the delay for PC is for because it isn't going to be adding anti-cheat or a stable launch. Maybe they just want to wave their middle fingers longer before they plop their slop (and still sell like crazy)
I believe I read 40% of people own the previous one on multiple platforms. PC is really hard to program for due to the multiple platforms. Bugs always come up and then people scream about console ports.

Dec 5, 2023, 17:08
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 5, 2023, 17:08
Dec 5, 2023, 17:08

Business as usual. The PC-hating Rockstar primadonnas will deny the existence of a PC version until the last minute and feed PC gamers bullshit statements like "there are currently no plans for a PC release" with the most disgusted expression on their faces as if they had to give a leper the time of day.

But the R* primadonnas know exactly that they can afford it. No matter how shitty they treat PC gamers. No matter how shitty and sloppy the port will be. The vast majority of PC gamers will reward them with a $120 preorder of the Ultimate Edition or a $90 preorder of the Deluxe Edition. No questions asked.

And Rockstar will milk the living bajeezus out of PC gamers over the years because PC gamers are lepers but they are lepers that yield decent amounts of milk.

Dec 5, 2023, 17:00
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 5, 2023, 17:00
Dec 5, 2023, 17:00

While traditionally GTA games do have a staggered release for PC. I'm not so sure that'll be the case this time, for one simple reason... PC game sales outstrip console sales. There are nearly half a billion more PC gamers than there are console gamers worldwide. As of last year, PC game sales account for 43% of all non-mobile games sold. Consoles account for about 10% more, that's all three consoles combined. Neither alone comes close to PC game sales.

For that reason, I suspect it's more likely that PC will be in the initial release window with possibly xbox being released shortly after because the developers will need to achieve performance windows for both the 1x and s.

Dec 5, 2023, 16:12
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 5, 2023, 16:12
Dec 5, 2023, 16:12

The press release still does not actually mention a PC version.

The latest GTA5 patch has new features for consoles only. It is possible it will be a console exclusive deal for few years. Remember RDR1?

Re: Grand Theft Auto VI Press Release Confirms PC Will Trail Console Versions
Dec 5, 2023, 16:11
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI Press Release Confirms PC Will Trail Console Versions Dec 5, 2023, 16:11
Dec 5, 2023, 16:11

Mystic95Z wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 13:03:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 12:28:
Rexis wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 12:07:
Ill be close to my 50's before this game comes out on PC. Oh well, at least by then Ill probably have a powerful enough PC to play it on.

More powerful than a Xbox S or a Playstation 5? That doesn't even require trying <3

No kidding, they need to release on all platforms at the same time. My gaming PC is far and above better than any console out today by a long shot...

FWIW Rockstar is notorious for poorly optimized PC releases

Dec 5, 2023, 16:08
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 5, 2023, 16:08
Dec 5, 2023, 16:08

czarsquid wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 15:56:
Huh, I get making video games are hard but even Bethesda puts in the absolute minimal effort to get simultaneous launch of their games on all platforms. I wonder what the delay for PC is for because it isn't going to be adding anti-cheat or a stable launch. Maybe they just want to wave their middle fingers longer before they plop their slop (and still sell like crazy)

It could be a number of things, but at least their PC ports are pretty decent as I recall.

The biggest thing I can see is trying to get people to "double dip", as with consoles. You know, put out an inferior version and then sell the obviously superior version later.. Ugh.

Dec 5, 2023, 15:56
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 5, 2023, 15:56
Dec 5, 2023, 15:56

Dec 5, 2023, 15:54
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 5, 2023, 15:54
Dec 5, 2023, 15:54

FloodAnxiety wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 13:15:
I still haven't bought GTA V because they did this last time too. Oh right, I just remembered, at some point got GTA V for free.
Yup, I did the same. I refused to pay for it on release and then just forgot about it. I picked it up for free a while back and played a few missions, though I never got into it as a game.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Re: Grand Theft Auto VI Press Release Confirms PC Will Trail Console Versions
Dec 5, 2023, 15:40
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI Press Release Confirms PC Will Trail Console Versions Dec 5, 2023, 15:40
Dec 5, 2023, 15:40

Rexis wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 12:07:
Ill be close to my 50's before this game comes out on PC. Oh well, at least by then Ill probably have a powerful enough PC to play it on.
If you put away $10 per week starting now, you'll have enough for a nice gaming rig when it releases to PC.

Dec 5, 2023, 15:36
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 5, 2023, 15:36
Dec 5, 2023, 15:36

phinn wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 14:13:
Doesn't seem like a big deal, GTA V sold like crazy on Steam. I'm sure GTA VI will be late 2026 on PC with plenty of added polish through patches and be fantastic for the fans of the series.

That's usually how it goes. Heck, I forget which GTA I fired up, either 4 or 5 where it had settings that were added to the game, but could not be enabled at launch because of the current technology not being able to handle them. I feel that they will do the same here. They will have new technology that they can incorporate into the game that we don't even know about yet and in the next couple years will. That will be part of the PC release.

Dec 5, 2023, 14:43
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI PC Will Trail Consoles Dec 5, 2023, 14:43
Dec 5, 2023, 14:43

Speaking of console games and delayed PC releases: the Steam listing for Horizon Forbidden West (the follow up to Horizon Zero Dawn) is now up to view and wishlist.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2420110/Horizon_Forbidden_West_Complete_Edition/
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older