Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer

A post from Electronic Arts notes today's Dragon Age day festivities. This year's celebration of all things Dragon Age includes fan art, Dragon Age and Mass Effect Humble Comics Bundle,* highlights of a Dragon Age cookbook, and a new Dragon Age Day Trailer for Dragon Age: Dreadwolf, the next installment in the series. The trailer is a teaser, playing out much like a Ken Burns documentary, showing locations with character voiceovers. The description says: "Enter Thedas, a vibrant land of rugged wilderness, treacherous labyrinths, and glittering cities – steeped in savage combat and secret magics. Now, its fate teeters on a knife's edge." It also says to expect a full reveal in (northern) summer. We also have this from EA on the clip: "The new in-game video showcases the desolate yet beautiful badlands of the Anderfels, the twisting canals and gleaming towers of Antiva, and the turquoise seas of Rivain which are just some of the locales waiting for players." Here's a bit on the occasion from Senior Production Advisor Mark Darrah:
Dragon Age has always been a franchise about characters. Characters to fall in love with or to learn to loath. Those characters need a place in which to live, to fight, and to love—a place that shapes them and the events they find themselves swept up in. Today we explore the place they call home that forms the stage for everything that you do: Thedas.

Corinne and the Dragon Age: Dreadwolf team have created a game that celebrates the rich and varied past of the franchise while crafting new experiences and stories. It has been incredible to come back to BioWare and see all of the progress they’ve made, and I’m excited for some of that world to be shared with all of you today.
*Blue's News may receive a commission on sales of this item.
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer
Dec 6, 2023, 14:54
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 6, 2023, 14:54
Dec 6, 2023, 14:54

RogueSix wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 18:28:
Nah. Baldur's Gate 3 proved that Larian's marketing is ingenious and that Swen's infectious enthusiasm still works wonders to convince people that they must buy Larian games to be en vogue Wink . Seriously, Larian games are kind of a marketing phenomenon more than anything else.
You definitely can not apply their success on a broader scope. It would be awesome if it were that easy but it's not. Larian are playing in a league of their own. It is a very isolated phenomenon that depends a lot on the marketing and the personalities (Swen Vincke first and foremost) involved.

Huh? I had to google who that even is. It's hilarious that you think he's a household name or something.

CRPGs with a good budget and production values that execute well usually end up selling, that was my point. The sort of AAA CRPGs we used to see such as your Baldur's Gate games, Dragon Age: Origins and so on. You seem to think otherwise which is fine but saying "oh no its all because of Swen!" is mildly amusing but incorrect. By the way the risk of a flop with almost any game is real, kind of a pointless statement to make.

Dec 6, 2023, 04:25
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 6, 2023, 04:25
Dec 6, 2023, 04:25

Verno wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 10:58:
Baldur's Gate 3 proved there is a huge market for CRPGs but they need to be executed successfully and stay true to genre roots.

Nah. Baldur's Gate 3 proved that Larian's marketing is ingenious and that Swen's infectious enthusiasm still works wonders to convince people that they must buy Larian games to be en vogue Wink . Seriously, Larian games are kind of a marketing phenomenon more than anything else.
You definitely can not apply their success on a broader scope. It would be awesome if it were that easy but it's not. Larian are playing in a league of their own. It is a very isolated phenomenon that depends a lot on the marketing and the personalities (Swen Vincke first and foremost) involved.

Other CRPGs did not do nearly as well. There are some outright tragic tales like Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire which was better than part one in almost every regard but completely tanked at the box office. The risk of a veritable flop for any CRPG developer, regardless of a game's qualities, is always very real.
Other CRPGs like the Pathfinder games or Solasta have performed respectably as far as sales are concerned but they are nowhere even near the ballpark of figures that a company like EA/BioWare is aiming for. Those games also have nowhere near the budget of an EA/BioWare title (e.g. Pathfinder is made in Russia and Russian wages are far below the western average and Solasta, well, you can see the lack of budget literally by just looking at the game).

Have you PLAYED BG3??? Seriously dude, what the fuck?

Dec 6, 2023, 02:55
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 6, 2023, 02:55
Dec 6, 2023, 02:55

Baldur's Gate 3 proved there is a huge market for CRPGs but they need to be executed successfully and stay true to genre roots.

Who? What?

Dec 5, 2023, 18:28
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 5, 2023, 18:28
Dec 5, 2023, 18:28

Other CRPGs did not do nearly as well. There are some outright tragic tales like Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire which was better than part one in almost every regard but completely tanked at the box office. The risk of a veritable flop for any CRPG developer, regardless of a game's qualities, is always very real.
Other CRPGs like the Pathfinder games or Solasta have performed respectably as far as sales are concerned but they are nowhere even near the ballpark of figures that a company like EA/BioWare is aiming for. Those games also have nowhere near the budget of an EA/BioWare title (e.g. Pathfinder is made in Russia and Russian wages are far below the western average and Solasta, well, you can see the lack of budget literally by just looking at the game).
Threadcrapper Extraordinaire

Dec 5, 2023, 13:37
Jim
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 5, 2023, 13:37
Dec 5, 2023, 13:37
Jim

Larian seems to have a very different philosophy about making games compared to most companies. Why their recent games have been pretty spectacular. Not sure profit driven companies can do that as well, however quality brings profits.

Dec 5, 2023, 10:58
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 5, 2023, 10:58

I wonder if ea and bioware took any look at BG3 for tips on making dreadwolf, if not, its so over.
Shenmue fans are the worst.

Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 5, 2023, 10:58

DA:I was pretty flawed but I still ended up completing it, paled in comparison to DA:O though. What people really want from Bioware is a true CRPG instead of these failed forays into making an action or live service game hybrid. The rumors surrounding this were that it was a live service game and was rebooted internally last year which isn't very encouraging.

Dec 5, 2023, 10:07
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 5, 2023, 10:07
Dec 5, 2023, 10:07

Jim wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 09:51:
not sure the hate against DA:O, I thought it was an amazing game. I still think about how it made me feel, the closeness of the campfire chats. The stories, the comradery. Morrigan, Leliana. I got my ass creamed the first time through, but then learned the mechanics. Sure, there were a lot of limitations on the environments. Most of the side missions used the same 2 or 3 maps, but it still was a great experience.

I really enjoyed DA:O, it was great. I also enjoyed DA:I. DA2, not so much.

Dec 5, 2023, 09:53
Prez

Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 5, 2023, 09:53
Dec 5, 2023, 09:53
 Prez

fotalbre97 wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 05:37:
Jim wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 00:58:
The last dragon age was ok. have high hopes for this, hoping like it is more like DA:O

Which part of DA:O? The combat? Dialogue? Classes? Companions? Tactics?

I don't know what context he meant it in, but I wish for a more Origins-type experience as well. Meaning a little more like Baldur's Gate and a little less like Mass Effect (Origins let you play it both ways) I don't think that is likely though. I'll play it regardless. They were all at least good, with the first being my favorite and the second being my least favorite.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Dec 5, 2023, 09:51
Jim
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 5, 2023, 09:51
Dec 5, 2023, 09:51
Jim

not sure the hate against DA:O, I thought it was an amazing game. I still think about how it made me feel, the closeness of the campfire chats. The stories, the comradery. Morrigan, Leliana. I got my ass creamed the first time through, but then learned the mechanics. Sure, there were a lot of limitations on the environments. Most of the side missions used the same 2 or 3 maps, but it still was a great experience.

Dec 5, 2023, 09:17
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 5, 2023, 09:17
Dec 5, 2023, 09:17

Leahi84 wrote on Dec 4, 2023, 23:56:
Super freaking excited about this, and put it on my wishlist as soon as it let me today! Can't wait for next year!

Can't tell if sarcasm or not......

Dec 5, 2023, 09:12
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 5, 2023, 09:12
Dec 5, 2023, 09:12

fotalbre97 wrote on Dec 5, 2023, 05:37:
The last dragon age was ok. have high hopes for this, hoping like it is more like DA:O

Yes to all of those? Maybe update the classes and combat a bit, but isometric 4-6 player characters* with real time with pausing, memorable characters and great writing...

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2023, 10:56.

Dec 5, 2023, 07:09
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 5, 2023, 07:09
Dec 5, 2023, 07:09

Didn't hate the last few games, but they did feel really basic and dumbed down compared to the first game.

Dec 5, 2023, 05:37
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 5, 2023, 05:37
Dec 5, 2023, 05:37

Dec 5, 2023, 02:24
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 5, 2023, 02:24
Dec 5, 2023, 02:24

... hoping like it is more like DA:O

Thanks for the laugh .

Honest question: Are some of you really this disconnected from reality? Have you plugged out completely?
Threadcrapper Extraordinaire

Dec 5, 2023, 01:47
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 5, 2023, 01:47
Dec 5, 2023, 01:47

"We fight for everyone, and we always will."

So, even the bad people then? Sounds like mercenaries, not heroes. Meh, I'd much rather see a game focused on the Qun. Now, they are interesting.

"While playing golf today I hit two good balls. I stepped on a rake." - Henny Youngman

Dec 5, 2023, 00:58
Jim
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 5, 2023, 00:58
Dec 5, 2023, 00:58
Jim

Dec 4, 2023, 23:56
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 4, 2023, 23:56
Dec 4, 2023, 23:56

Super freaking excited about this, and put it on my wishlist as soon as it let me today! Can't wait for next year!
“For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.”
― Richard P. Feynman

Dec 4, 2023, 21:32
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 4, 2023, 21:32
Dec 4, 2023, 21:32

They picked the wrong day to release a half-assed teaser like this...

Dec 4, 2023, 19:44
Re: Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Teaser Trailer; Full Reveal Next Summer Dec 4, 2023, 19:44
Dec 4, 2023, 19:44

I'm going to be honest, I don't have faith that Bioware (or its corpse at this point) can turn out a decent game anymore. After the stupid original ending of ME3, the dumpster fire that was Mass Effect: Andromeda ("My face is tired"), and Anthem, they seem to have lost their mojo. Nothing I have seen of this title, albeit it has been very little, has done anything to change that opinion. Sad, really, as the first three titles were enjoyable to me and that's saying something as I generally dislike fantasy.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older