Out of the Blue

Well it's December already, which, as always, seems too soon. But the late fall has gotten very wintry around these parts, making it hard to maintain a state of denial about this. The temperatures drop below freezing every night, we've already seen a couple of very light dustings of snow, and at various times ice has started forming on the pond. What's funny is that this has triggered an influx of ducks, who have been hanging out elsewhere for the past few months. They've been out there frolicking a few times lately, and seeing them splashing around in the frigid water like it's nothing is about the only illusion of warmer days I have at this point.

Obituary: Ex-Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor dies aged 93.

December Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories
Thanks Max.

Science

Media

Creature Features

View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: Brrrr
Dec 2, 2023, 08:33
Prez

Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 2, 2023, 08:33
Dec 2, 2023, 08:33
 Prez

For reference, my ex-wife had a friend whose house was struck by lightning. They asked me to take a look at the electrical system damage as things were burned up everywhere. Because it was for a report to her insurance company, I enlisted the help of a master electrician where I work who had much more experience on the residential side of things. We had to replace every outlet in the house, every circuit breaker (the whole electrical panel really) and the electric meter. That alone would have paid for a whole-house surge protector would cost according to the estimate you quoted and then some. Add in the damage to major appliances and the cost was almost $20k.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Dec 2, 2023, 02:47
Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 2, 2023, 02:47
Dec 2, 2023, 02:47

I don't think anything negates the need for GFCI outlets, but that is different than what you are describing. I plan on going 100% GFCI outlets in my home for the safety factor. Too many children running around to do less...

Dec 2, 2023, 00:29
Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 2, 2023, 00:29
Dec 2, 2023, 00:29

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2023, 23:20:
Thanks for the info on that. I need some electrical work done, that's how I came across these things, so I'll check with my electrician. Does it negate the need for outlet surge protectors in the house as well?

My pleasure. Ostensibly, yes, but get your electrician's opinion for sure. He, or she, is going to know a lot more about your local power grid and its reliability. Know going in, these are not cheap. The unit I linked is ~$3KUSD before installation. However, I looked at it this way:

If Texas' power grid shits the bed, again, how much would I spend replacing appliances? A lot more than $3K.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Dec 1, 2023, 23:20
Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 23:20
Dec 1, 2023, 23:20

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 1, 2023, 19:58:
Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2023, 17:50:
Ahh, thanks man. Anyone else familiar with these things?

Yes. I have a Square D one on my house (and on the previous home where my parents now reside) given the rather pitiful state of Texas' power grid. The connection is shore power->surge protector->main panel. It's in a plastic box on the wall outside of the garage next to where the shore power comes in and has a ground lead coming out. It shorts to ground when it detects a surge. They're both older models of this. Depending on local building codes, you may need to have a licensed electrician install it.

/---\

Also, Monarch rules. I am deeply enjoying it.

Thanks for the info on that. I need some electrical work done, that's how I came across these things, so I'll check with my electrician. Does it negate the need for outlet surge protectors in the house as well?
"While playing golf today I hit two good balls. I stepped on a rake." - Henny Youngman

Dec 1, 2023, 21:11
Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 21:11
Dec 1, 2023, 21:11

Prez wrote on Dec 1, 2023, 20:02:
Would that help with lightning strikes as well?

Definitely!
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Dec 1, 2023, 20:02
Prez

Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 20:02
Dec 1, 2023, 20:02
 Prez

Would that help with lightning strikes as well?
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Dec 1, 2023, 19:58
Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 19:58
Dec 1, 2023, 19:58

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2023, 17:50:

Yes. I have a Square D one on my house (and on the previous home where my parents now reside) given the rather pitiful state of Texas' power grid. The connection is shore power->surge protector->main panel. It's in a plastic box on the wall outside of the garage next to where the shore power comes in and has a ground lead coming out. It shorts to ground when it detects a surge. They're both older models of this. Depending on local building codes, you may need to have a licensed electrician install it.

/---\

Also, Monarch rules. I am deeply enjoying it.

Dec 1, 2023, 19:00
Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 19:00
Dec 1, 2023, 19:00

If you have Amazon Prime, there are a bunch of games you can get for free.

- KOTOR
- Centipede Recharged
- Black Widow Recharged
- Rage 2 (last day is today)
- Orten was the Case
- Dungeons of Naheulbeuk

Those last two are interesting since they both were just released recently.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Dec 1, 2023, 18:53
Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 18:53
Dec 1, 2023, 18:53

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2023, 18:02:
I know there are a few art buffs around here so I thought I'd leave a link of my tour of the Cleveland Museum of Art - took a little road trip through the US back in Sept. thru Michigan, Ohio, and NY. It's a small but well represented museum. Well worth checking out if you're ever in the 'Mistake-by-the-Lake'. I had also learned while I was there that during the Gilded Age Cleveland was actually the richest city in the world, headed up by John D. Rockefeller himself. I also wanted, but did not get to because of time constraints, visit the James A. Garfield Memorial - which isn't too far from the CMA. Apparently it's pretty amazing. The museum staff strongly recommended visiting it.

My photo album of the CMA....
Cleveland Museum of Art

Jdreyer, note Pollock's Number 5. They also had pieces by Frank Stella - one of my fave American artists - Rothko, Hopper, etc.
Nice. My local museum has a Picasso and a Van Gogh, but no Pollock. Probably not going to make it to Cleveland any time soon though.

As for keyboards, the ones I use went out of production years ago. I might be in the market for a new one in the next year or so myself.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Dec 1, 2023, 18:02
Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 18:02
Dec 1, 2023, 18:02

I know there are a few art buffs around here so I thought I'd leave a link of my tour of the Cleveland Museum of Art - took a little road trip through the US back in Sept. thru Michigan, Ohio, and NY. It's a small but well represented museum. Well worth checking out if you're ever in the 'Mistake-by-the-Lake'. I had also learned while I was there that during the Gilded Age Cleveland was actually the richest city in the world, headed up by John D. Rockefeller himself. I also wanted, but did not get to because of time constraints, visit the James A. Garfield Memorial - which isn't too far from the CMA. Apparently it's pretty amazing. The museum staff strongly recommended visiting it.

My photo album of the CMA....
Cleveland Museum of Art

Jdreyer, note Pollock's Number 5. They also had pieces by Frank Stella - one of my fave American artists - Rothko, Hopper, etc.
"While playing golf today I hit two good balls. I stepped on a rake." - Henny Youngman

Dec 1, 2023, 17:50
Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 17:50
Dec 1, 2023, 17:50

Prez wrote on Dec 1, 2023, 17:27:
I didn't. I studied the basic courses that every electrician had to but my hands-on electrical experience is Industrial Electrician. I was in charge of predominantly fixing motors and large circuit breakers and the like. I know about the same as you as far as residential surge protection reliability and effectiveness.

Dec 1, 2023, 17:28
Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 17:28
Dec 1, 2023, 17:28

Been shopping new keyboards lately and tried a few which I didn't care for. I've now discovered the low profile keyboard which I really like. Tried the Razer Chroma Ornata V3. and while it was a nice board it didn't have per key lighting - I thought it did - and Razer's software is cumbersome and invasive. I don't like their whole ecosystem which is all about datamining customers. So back it goes. I tried the Logitech 915 in BB and it was really nice and comfortable but $220 - on sale? I just can't rationalize that sort of money for a keyboard. After doing some more searching I finally found the Cooler Master SK650 for $117 bux - which does have per key lighting. So I'll give that a whirl. I was just curious if anyone had any recs for low profile keyboards that won't break the bank. And if anyone is looking solely for a work keyboard, they had a Jlab Epic KB in there to try and I have to say it's the most comfortable keyboard I've ever used. If it had RGB I would have bought it on the spot. Still, really nice KB for less than $100.

And speaking of PC stuff, anyone got a rec for a decent USB microphone for less than $100?

Dec 1, 2023, 17:27
Prez

Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 17:27
Dec 1, 2023, 17:27
 Prez

I didn't. I studied the basic courses that every electrician had to but my hands-on electrical experience is Industrial Electrician. I was in charge of predominantly fixing motors and large circuit breakers and the like. I know about the same as you as far as residential surge protection reliability and effectiveness.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Dec 1, 2023, 17:19
Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 17:19
Dec 1, 2023, 17:19

Hey Prez, you were an electrician, right? Did you ever install a whole house surge protector? I didn't even know they were things until today. If so, do they really work/are they worth it?

Dec 1, 2023, 15:59
Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 15:59
Dec 1, 2023, 15:59

Last of Us, or Interstellar?
Insert "why not both" gif.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Dec 1, 2023, 15:48
Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 15:48
Dec 1, 2023, 15:48

Did anybody get expelled from Congress today?
LOL

https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/monarch-legacy-of-monsters
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Dec 1, 2023, 15:44
Prez

Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 15:44
Dec 1, 2023, 15:44
 Prez

I don't know where to watch it. If it's on one of the 8504 channels they want you to subscribe to I don't have access to it. I would watch a free first episode if it was available on streaming - they sometimes do that.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Dec 1, 2023, 15:11
Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 15:11
Dec 1, 2023, 15:11

Prez wrote on Dec 1, 2023, 12:59:
It's not really related to anything here, but I wanted to share my excitement about going to see "Godzilla Minus One" in the theater on Sunday. My sister said she would drop me off. I haven't seen a Godzilla movie in the theater since Godzilla and Jet Jaguar squared off against Megalon when I was 5. Since then I have been a Godzilla nut but the American movies were just awful as I knew they would be. I'm going alone, as it's not like anyone is going to sit through a 2 hour Japanese Kaiju movie with me.
Are you watching Monarch: Legacy of Monsters? It's not bad.

Dec 1, 2023, 14:12
Prez

Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 14:12
Dec 1, 2023, 14:12
 Prez

Verno wrote on Dec 1, 2023, 13:43:

It's not really related to anything here, but I wanted to share my excitement about going to see "Godzilla Minus One" in the theater on Sunday. My sister said she would drop me off. I haven't seen a Godzilla movie in the theater since Godzilla and Jet Jaguar squared off against Megalon when I was 5. Since then I have been a Godzilla nut but the American movies were just awful as I knew they would be. I'm going alone, as it's not like anyone is going to sit through a 2 hour Japanese Kaiju movie with me.

My buddy and I are going to see it next week! We're stoked but it's only playing in a theater like 40 minutes away, none of the local ones have it for some reason. They wonder why people don't want to go out to the show anymore!

I think that they tend to be strategic when releasing foreign movies in the US. It seems like it's a limited release. 1000 theaters nationwide or something like that. Luckily it's playing only about 20 minutes from me.

It's cool to see someone older not be a complete Scrooge like I am. I loved Xmas at one time, but that seems like it was a lifetime ago.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Dec 1, 2023, 13:43
Re: OotB: Brrrr Dec 1, 2023, 13:43
Dec 1, 2023, 13:43

Advent calendar: opened!
Christmas Tree: up!
Outdoor Lights: most of them still work!
Gifts: Purchased!
Seasonal outfits for animals: work in progress

I love Christmas time

My buddy and I are going to see it next week! We're stoked but it's only playing in a theater like 40 minutes away, none of the local ones have it for some reason. They wonder why people don't want to go out to the show anymore!
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older