Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up

CD PROJEKT offers a presentation of its Q3 2023 earnings, providing a colorful version of such reporting, which is usually just text (thanks IGN). In what amounts to a giant infographic, the developer reveals that the Liberty City expansion has sold more than 4.3 million copies, estimating that one-in-five owners of the base version of Cyberpunk 2077 have picked up the add-on. There's also a graphic showing a significant shift of personnel since the last financial report, revealing that about half the company's developers are now working on The Witcher 4, while another significant portion of the workforce is in the process of transferring away from Cyberpunk 2077 support, though it's not stated if they will also end up working on the new The Witcher RPG.
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up
Nov 29, 2023, 18:19
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 29, 2023, 18:19
Nov 29, 2023, 18:19

Replayed The Witcher 1 in 1st person (Nexus mods), as an enhanced magic FPS.
Plays more like a horror game with monsters close and personal, liked it so much more than the vanilla.

Loved the Witcher 2.
But the Witcher 3 is possibly and easily one of, if not the best game ever made.
I think I covered most each nook and cranny of the enormous world.

Nov 29, 2023, 12:55
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 29, 2023, 12:55
Nov 29, 2023, 12:55

I bought PL and am working on getting my new save to the point of entry for DLC, but I keep getting distracted by other titles.

I adore Witcher 3, it's chock full of lore, interesting little quests, and full of heart. I love the interplay between the characters that Geralt comes across, CDPR did a great job making Geralt's group of friends feel unique and interesting with pros and cons and likes and dislikes. The game is clearly a labor of love, which is why I have reservations about TW4: the pressure is going to be on from shareholders to avoid another CP77 release, but they're also going to be expecting better returns than CP77 had which were already very good in Dec 2020. I suspect TW4 is going to be "dumbed down" a bit, or possibly a lot? Make it more approachable for new players; reduce the need for glossary; auto apply oils and potions; reduce quest actions on the world and interplay between quests and NPCs (e.g. complete some quest, return later to find changes, or some NPCs will have unique discussions with Geralt following tiny little side quests) simply to avoid complexity. Have any of you seen XLetalis on Youtube, he's done a dozen or two videos on "things you might have missed in TW3" and they're all fascinating, they show the depth CDPR went to to connect the world together. I could see this being reduced.

Nov 29, 2023, 12:36
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 29, 2023, 12:36
Nov 29, 2023, 12:36

BigVlad wrote on Nov 28, 2023, 20:40:
Did they ever confirm if Geralt plays a part in Witcher 4? I know he had his trilogy and he probably won't be a playable character, but I hope he plays a significant role in the new game. Although if he's in it and I can't play as him, I think it's just going to make me nostalgic for Witcher 3. I've got high hopes for their next game. Don't disappoint me!

Geralt will be a blue glowie and whisper to you to use the force or summin' like that...
Threadcrapper Extraordinaire

Nov 29, 2023, 10:46
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 29, 2023, 10:46
Nov 29, 2023, 10:46

I own the Witcher games, all of them, and I have maybe 10 hours, total, across all three of them. Mixing 14th century France with 11th century German and 12th century Poland struck me as odd. Not throwing shade, it was just weird.

I am about halfway through Phantom Liberty and just never finished it. I think I got bored because it felt just more of the same to me. Constantly running back and forth across the same, small area was grating as well.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Nov 29, 2023, 10:17
Prez

Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 29, 2023, 10:17
Nov 29, 2023, 10:17
 Prez

Jim wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 10:12:
Prez wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 10:03:
I'm not a game designer, nor am I particularly imaginative, but even for me it's not hard to imagine how they could make an interesting game with Ciri. Yes, she has very powerful abilities, but does an RPG get boring just because you're level 5 and can now obliterate all level 1 enemies? Pretty sure the answer is obvious. Not to mention that she has noticeable flaws that any decent writer can use to pen a compelling script. Captain Marvel and Rey Skywalker weren't boring because of their powers; they were boring because they were perfect in every way and had no flaws whatsoever.
I'm just saying from when I played the game I don't remember much. she had a dash attack. I don't recall what else she could do. Not to mention the reality shifting stuff. But I am sure they could give her a proper skill tree and make an interesting RPG out of it. But I don't know they should. There is no canon Ciri ending in the game, and making one would assume she became a witcher.
Ah okay. Then my answer more applied to Big Vlad rather than you. Sorry for misrepresenting your point.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 29, 2023, 10:12
Jim
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 29, 2023, 10:12
Nov 29, 2023, 10:12
Jim

Prez wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 10:03:
I'm not a game designer, nor am I particularly imaginative, but even for me it's not hard to imagine how they could make an interesting game with Ciri. Yes, she has very powerful abilities, but does an RPG get boring just because you're level 5 and can now obliterate all level 1 enemies? Pretty sure the answer is obvious. Not to mention that she has noticeable flaws that any decent writer can use to pen a compelling script. Captain Marvel and Rey Skywalker weren't boring because of their powers; they were boring because they were perfect in every way and had no flaws whatsoever.
I'm just saying from when I played the game I don't remember much. she had a dash attack. I don't recall what else she could do. Not to mention the reality shifting stuff. But I am sure they could give her a proper skill tree and make an interesting RPG out of it. But I don't know they should. There is no canon Ciri ending in the game, and making one would assume she became a witcher.

Nov 29, 2023, 10:03
Prez

Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 29, 2023, 10:03
Nov 29, 2023, 10:03
 Prez

BigVlad wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 06:04:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 04:11:
Jim wrote on Nov 28, 2023, 23:38:
Ciri's powers are kind of underwhelming and boring. They would have to rework her from what they did in the game.

As if Geralt's were that much better? They're not what make his games good... She could easily do all the same stuff he does, and if anything there'd likely be some made up reason why she's massively nerfed to start with because by the end of TW3 she's so much more powerful than he is.

I think that's what Jim is saying, or at least that's how I took it. Ciri is way OP. Playing an entire game with the powers she had in Witcher 3 would be quite dull. They'll have to nerf her somehow, and flesh out her abilities quite a bit for more variety. But CDPR isn't stupid so I'm sure they know that.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 29, 2023, 09:07
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 29, 2023, 09:07
Nov 29, 2023, 09:07

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 00:39:
Did they ever confirm if Geralt plays a part in Witcher 4? I know he had his trilogy and he probably won't be a playable character, but I hope he plays a significant role in the new game. Although if he's in it and I can't play as him, I think it's just going to make me nostalgic for Witcher 3. I've got high hopes for their next game. Don't disappoint me!

I don't see any reason they can't doing all manner of stuff with Geralt. It's not like they have to use Sapkowski's stuff. I'm sure CDPR could easily come up with a high adventure for Geralt and the supporting cast. I'd actually like to see them do some earlier stuff in that world. Maybe when it all started with the Conjunction, or at it's height when there were witchers a plenty and many different schools. I'd love to see a detailed episode on the Trial of the Grasses.
What the FUCK! Are you back Cutter? Did I miss something?
With a damaged Panzer still hunting 'The Haunted Tank' and Gus out of ammo, Jeb knew there was only one option, "Slim, RAM!"

Nov 29, 2023, 08:34
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 29, 2023, 08:34
Nov 29, 2023, 08:34

PL is no doubt the best expansion this year. They certainly learned from their mistakes as I predicted they would. Also the doom and gloom talking heads on YT like Legacykilla and Mattyplays who spent the first 18 months after 2077 release proclaiming CDPR was going to go out of business, because they are stock analysis, business experts now apparently. I called them out too saying once the game is patched and the expansion drops they will pretend they didn't spend over a year trashing the game/company for clicks and low and behold look at their channels now. Acting like they have been on the bandwagon since day 1. They are such click bait tools it's pathetic.

Nov 29, 2023, 06:04
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 29, 2023, 06:04
Nov 29, 2023, 06:04

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 04:11:
Ciri's powers are kind of underwhelming and boring. They would have to rework her from what they did in the game.

As if Geralt's were that much better? They're not what make his games good... She could easily do all the same stuff he does, and if anything there'd likely be some made up reason why she's massively nerfed to start with because by the end of TW3 she's so much more powerful than he is.

I think that's what Jim is saying, or at least that's how I took it. Ciri is way OP. Playing an entire game with the powers she had in Witcher 3 would be quite dull. They'll have to nerf her somehow, and flesh out her abilities quite a bit for more variety. But CDPR isn't stupid so I'm sure they know that.

Nov 29, 2023, 04:11
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 29, 2023, 04:11
Nov 29, 2023, 04:11

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2023, 04:21.

Nov 29, 2023, 00:59
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 29, 2023, 00:59
Nov 29, 2023, 00:59

Jim wrote on Nov 28, 2023, 22:07:
Kudos to them. I picked up a copy at launch although I have not played it yet. For the future I think I saw something about a trilogy. But the witcher would not be the same without Doug Cockle. That guy could revive the netflix series.
Lul. No he couldn't. That shit was fucked from the start when she didn't even bother pretending to honor the books OR the games, despite early on clapping back at critics who said it wasn't enough like the games with "IT'S FOLLOWING THE BOOKS!" Except it was so changed from the source material that I can't even consider it in the same universe. Utterly ruined so many important character arcs and plot points, and casting Superman was pretty dumb too. One voice actor can't save that dumpster fire.

Nov 29, 2023, 00:39
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 29, 2023, 00:39
Nov 29, 2023, 00:39

I don't see any reason they can't doing all manner of stuff with Geralt. It's not like they have to use Sapkowski's stuff. I'm sure CDPR could easily come up with a high adventure for Geralt and the supporting cast. I'd actually like to see them do some earlier stuff in that world. Maybe when it all started with the Conjunction, or at it's height when there were witchers a plenty and many different schools. I'd love to see a detailed episode on the Trial of the Grasses.

"While playing golf today I hit two good balls. I stepped on a rake." - Henny Youngman

Nov 29, 2023, 00:22
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 29, 2023, 00:22
Nov 29, 2023, 00:22

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 28, 2023, 22:22:
Personally I think Letho of Gulet or early vesemir would be a pretty good story

Was overjoyed in Witcher 3 when spying an out of sight discreet ladder in a stable, then finding Letho hiding there, and doing a mission or two with him.

We had separated as race brothers in Witcher 2.
Here he is doing his thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwCXw8m0PHI

Nov 29, 2023, 00:06
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 29, 2023, 00:06
Nov 29, 2023, 00:06

I really liked Phantom Liberty, I started a new playthrough and realized how much I really liked Cyberpunk 2077 after most of the patches and 2.0. Great game although I thought the DLC was a bit short, it's a good story. For my second playthrough I was a God-like netrunner At the end I was so powerful I could walk into a room full of baddies and kill everyone with just my hacks, AWESOME!
With a damaged Panzer still hunting 'The Haunted Tank' and Gus out of ammo, Jeb knew there was only one option, "Slim, RAM!"

Nov 28, 2023, 23:38
Jim
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 28, 2023, 23:38
Nov 28, 2023, 23:38
Jim

Nov 28, 2023, 22:50
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 28, 2023, 22:50
Nov 28, 2023, 22:50

What if a sci fi RPG set on a single planet, a la Scavengers Reign?
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Nov 28, 2023, 22:36
Prez

Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 28, 2023, 22:36
Nov 28, 2023, 22:36
 Prez

After finishing Witcher 3, I had assumed it would be Ciri. She was a great character in the videogame. But I don't know if any further adventures after Geralt's journey were ever explored in the book series. I would prefer they stick to those if there are.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 28, 2023, 22:22
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 28, 2023, 22:22
Nov 28, 2023, 22:22

Personally I think Letho of Gulet or early vesemir would be a pretty good story

Nov 28, 2023, 22:07
Jim
Re: Phantom Liberty Sells 4.3M; The Witcher 4 Development Gears Up Nov 28, 2023, 22:07
Nov 28, 2023, 22:07
Jim

Kudos to them. I picked up a copy at launch although I have not played it yet. For the future I think I saw something about a trilogy. But the witcher would not be the same without Doug Cockle. That guy could revive the netflix series.
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older