28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Morning Metaverse
Dec 1, 2023, 01:57
Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 1, 2023, 01:57
Dec 1, 2023, 01:57

AngelicPenguin wrote on Nov 30, 2023, 04:38:
There’s something wrong with AUSTIN now? That’s where I live. I guess we are the one blue blip in the state so it would get some hate

I live Austin adjacent and, yeah, Austin gets slagged by the rednecks of Texas for being a "librul" hellscape. I just roll my eyes.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Re: Morning Metaverse and Politics
Nov 30, 2023, 10:57
Prez

Re: Morning Metaverse and Politics Nov 30, 2023, 10:57
Nov 30, 2023, 10:57
 Prez

I can relate. I will weigh in on a 'political' issue but I don't want to discuss politics. At all. Part of the problem is that the common misconception of "EVERYTHING is political bro. Get over it." No, it actually isn't. Even topics that are controversial don't require a political slant, but you can be sure it will be argued vehemently.

I remember when Ubisoft said they didn't want to take a political stand when a line in "The Division" stated something to the effect of "after the collapse, if you owned a gun, you had a better chance". Everyone fell over themselves pointing out that this is a political stance, they are such hypocrites, blah blah blah. (Well they are hypocrites, but not because of this). I'm sorry to tell all gun rights advocates and gun grabbers, and everyone in between, but that was not in any way political. It was a basic statement of fact. When society breaks down, those who are better equipped to defend themselves are the ones who have a greater chance at survival. That is unequivocally not a political stance. Whether it happens to be either convenient or inconvenient to your political leanings is irrelevant.

My point is, it's not Blue's fault that every other thread has political bickering in it. Users interject that into the threads themselves. That's just life on the Internet nowadays. If he censors all political discussion, cries of censorship and blame that he is liberal or conservative, depending on what he censored, will be rampant. I prefer it the way he is doing it myself.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 30, 2023, 10:10
Re: Morning Metaverse and Politics Nov 30, 2023, 10:10
Nov 30, 2023, 10:10

npc wrote on Nov 30, 2023, 09:45:
Having been a Blues News reader for more years than I want to relate, I'm disappointed and weary of the political section of Blues News. Yes, it's easy to just skim over the posts you don't care to read, but it's also easy to just use Discord where politics or comments about others with opposing views are not allowed, as the content is just about the game you're playing.
The recent attack on the five-year-old Indian boy wearing face paint has nudged me off of the fence of just skimming over political statements. I'll be reading game and hardware news somewhere else.
I don't know if the example you cited was meant to be specific or generic, but you mentioning the face paint story makes me wonder if you are confusing posts here with elsewhere? The story about the Chiefs fan has was never mentioned here at all, even in the context of internet backlash. Searching our news archive and the forums show that your post is only the fourth time the term "face paint" appeared on this site in 27 years, and the first time it has appeared in a forum post. The others were about makeup effects in games and movies.

But I understand weariness at political posts, and will not argue that point. There's no "political section" here, so I assume you are referring to forum posts. We try and allow leeway for discussion, and tech news and politics cross. We try and keep things civil while allowing people to express themselves, but that's a judgment call, and cannot be one size fits all. I'm sorry if we've let you down.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Nov 30, 2023, 09:57
Re: Morning Metaverse and Politics Nov 30, 2023, 09:57
Nov 30, 2023, 09:57

npc wrote on Nov 30, 2023, 09:45:
Having been a Blues News reader for more years than I want to relate, I'm disappointed and weary of the political section of Blues News. Yes, it's easy to just skim over the posts you don't care to read, but it's also easy to just use Discord where politics or comments about others with opposing views are not allowed, as the content is just about the game you're playing.
The recent attack on the five-year-old Indian boy wearing face paint has nudged me off of the fence of just skimming over political statements. I'll be reading game and hardware news somewhere else.

Out of curiousity, was that story really covered by anyone other than Deadspin, a zombie blog largely written by AI these days?
I've seen backlash to the story, but only seen the story from Deadspin, and Deadspin has been dead for 5 years and is by no means "the mainstream media."

Nov 30, 2023, 09:45
npc
Re: Morning Metaverse and Politics Nov 30, 2023, 09:45
Nov 30, 2023, 09:45
npc

Nov 30, 2023, 04:38
Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 30, 2023, 04:38
Nov 30, 2023, 04:38

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 02:17:

If I listened to rightwing nutjobs, all of Austin would be considered a hellscape. It's far from that.

There’s something wrong with AUSTIN now? That’s where I live. I guess we are the one blue blip in the state so it would get some hate

Nov 29, 2023, 10:36
Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 29, 2023, 10:36
Nov 29, 2023, 10:36

Prez wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 10:27:
That fact alone is impressive, as the vast majority of parents don't think that way. I had never left the tri-state area until I joined the Navy at 21.

Fair point .To me it was just normal. It was not uncommon to hear on a Thursday evening "Pack your stuff! We're going on a trip tomorrow morning!" Kind of like my dad teaching us SERE skills (that he learned while in the Navy) as part of camping. My parents loaded my brain with all kinds of information, skills, and experiences. Probably started me on being as warped as I am today!
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Nov 29, 2023, 10:28
Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 29, 2023, 10:28
Nov 29, 2023, 10:28

Prez wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 09:26:
My personal worst was Tijuana Mexico, but that was way back in '95. I don't mean it was a bad city, but definitely the most depressing one I have ever seen.

Never been to Tijuana but I have been to Ciudad Juarez numerous times. The amount of poverty, filth, and crime is sorrowful.

Nov 29, 2023, 10:27
Prez

Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 29, 2023, 10:27
Nov 29, 2023, 10:27
 Prez

Not that impressive. I had parents who believed their children should be educated beyond sitting behind a desk and doing rote drills in a classroom.

That fact alone is impressive, as the vast majority of parents don't think that way. I had never left the tri-state area until I joined the Navy at 21.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 29, 2023, 10:17
Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 29, 2023, 10:17
Nov 29, 2023, 10:17

Beamer wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 07:17:
Impressive. I'll have 5 in May. 7 I think in 2025. Definitely 6, though I should have had Australia already, turned down a work trip a decade ago that I greatly regret.

If you hit Antarctica, I will officially be jealous. Mrs. Burrito and I had made plans to hit it via Chile but, for obvious reasons, we never made it. It's still on my list but much of the allure of going is now gone.

Not that impressive. I had parents who believed their children should be educated beyond sitting behind a desk and doing rote drills in a classroom. So Dad would take three weeks of vacation off a year in one stretch and off we would go. I just continued that as an adult. I get six weeks off a year, not counting when we are closed for the winter break, and I use it. I took a sabbatical a couple of years back and Mrs. Burrito and I just traveled for those six months. Started flying west and then got home five and a half months later.

We hit Addis Ababa so we could go see the the churches at Lalibela. Like Nairobi, there are some seriously sketchy parts and that is due to poverty as you mentioned. However, it has been my experience that if you keep your eyes open, your mouth shut, and you are gracious, polite, and kind that many doors are opened for you and to you. More Americans could, and should, learn that lesson.

Speaking of Australia, we only made it to the east coast due to time constraints. Melbourne had a vibe like Portland and Pittsburgh had a drunken one night stand. Not downing it but it was..ehhh. The Quarantine Station at Point Napoleon was interesting. Just beware the biting flies. They are everywhere. Sydney was lovely although the QVB was disappointing as Hell. The Quay was nice and I got to meet an aboriginal man that was busking. Guy was playing a fusion of tribal music, jazz, and funk. He was super friendly and just happy that somebody stopped as long as we did to listen and appreciate. The Opera House was different than expected. You always see photos of it gleaming white but it's far more yellowish. If you like World War 2 history, you have to take the ferry to Cockatoo Island. It just oozes history and character.

Alas, we never made it to Ayers Rock. It was just a bit too remote for Mrs. Burrito's capabilities. However, if you find a street stand that is selling flake and chips with chicken salt, make the time and appetite to stop and enjoy it. It was like crack to me and I generally dislike fish.

Funny thing. When we were in Spain, we stayed with a lady and her family that Mrs Burrito had known since they met in university. Our hostess giggled at my Spanish and informed me that I do not speak Spanish but Mexican (makes sense) but that I was easily understood. I think you have mentioned in the past somewhere that you had been to Spain? Did you happen to hit Belmonte Castle while there? We did and it was pretty awe inspiring. Then again, she and I were massive history buffs.

Nov 29, 2023, 09:26
Prez

Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 29, 2023, 09:26
Nov 29, 2023, 09:26
 Prez

I hesitate to weigh in on this because of the political bullshit just waiting under the surface, but I will say if I dropped you out of an airplane into the part of Memphis where the Med is (the big inner city hospital) and you only stayed within that 4 or 5 block radius, yeah, I guess it would seem like Beirut (or at least the version of Beirut that most people who have never been to Beirut imagine it to be). But overall Memphis is a fine city. The same is true of most cities, though most major cities have major social problems that help keep it segmented and struggling to one degree or another. If you're talking most violent cities in the world, and you're not considering ones that are in a literal warzone, it follows almost exactly in line with the poorest cities in the world. To my mind however, no US cities qualify as "as bad as Beirut". My personal worst was Tijuana Mexico, but that was way back in '95. I don't mean it was a bad city, but definitely the most depressing one I have ever seen.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 29, 2023, 07:17
Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 29, 2023, 07:17
Nov 29, 2023, 07:17

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 02:26:
Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 00:54:
Get out, do some traveling, see if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. I have been to six of the seven continents and most of the major cities on all of them. The worst cities by far? Cairo, Suzhao, and Moscow.

Impressive. I'll have 5 in May. 7 I think in 2025. Definitely 6, though I should have had Australia already, turned down a work trip a decade ago that I greatly regret.

I've done most of the big European cities, and wander far. Never seen much bad. Plenty of Asia, too. Morocco was insane but not unsafe. Nairobi had some sketch parts due to extreme poverty.

My wife wants to do Cairo. I keep refusing.

The only place I hated was Dubai.

Nov 29, 2023, 02:47
Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 29, 2023, 02:47
Nov 29, 2023, 02:47

Sepharo wrote on Nov 28, 2023, 20:38:
Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2023, 18:33:
Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. are all like a bad night in Beirut these days.

That people actually believe this is kind of crazy, but there is a lot of misinformation and salacious bullshit out there... so eat it up I guess.

I'm just reporting on my own experiences in those places. I was in Detroit, Cleveland, and a few smaller towns just two months ago. Pittsburgh and some other places last year. Granted, it's not all bad, but way too much of it is - at least compared to the rest of the first world. Get out, do some traveling, see if I'm wrong. I think you'd be very surprised. If you have nothing to compare it to, it doesn't seem that bad.

I'm in Detroit all the time.
But the point is that I'm not other places too? Well family is originally from Cleveland, and now they all just moved to Austin. Sisters because of job opportunities and parents to follow the grandkids.
I travel to a road Lions game (Kansas City for game 1 was amazing) every year, and go on a ski trip every year, and go to a nascar race most years.
I've seen this whole country, a lot of Canada, and a sprinkling of other trips (UK, Ireland, Mexico, etc.).. Most of which I've mentioned here over the years.
We stay in air bnbs... usually in "bad" parts of town. It's the roughly same everywhere. Crime is down everywhere... it's not the 1980s anymore.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2023, 02:58.

Nov 29, 2023, 02:26
Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 29, 2023, 02:26
Nov 29, 2023, 02:26

Get out, do some traveling, see if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. I have been to six of the seven continents and most of the major cities on all of them. The worst cities by far? Cairo, Suzhao, and Moscow. Find a trustworthy local guide who will take you out of the touristy areas. Those cities make North American cities look like bastions of safety, cleanliness, and sanity.

Case in point: when I went to Suzhao, the Hilton I was staying at had armed guards, a perimeter fence with concertina wire on top, and they were very, very stringently expressive on what parts of town a foreigner should stay way the Hell away from. Many of the buildings had bars on every window for the first ten floors due to break-ins and theft.

Nov 29, 2023, 02:17
Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 29, 2023, 02:17
Nov 29, 2023, 02:17

My bro lives and works in Detroit, downtown Detroit to be specific. Back in 2018, admittedly five years ago, he and I walked all around downtown while he gave me a tour. I had zero issues and it certainly wasn't anything like Beirut.

If I listened to rightwing nutjobs, all of Austin would be considered a hellscape. It's far from that.

What this boils down to is pearl clutchers who piss their panties at anything that is not homogenized suburbia with endless expanses of strip malls and McTract housing.

Nov 29, 2023, 00:54
Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 29, 2023, 00:54
Nov 29, 2023, 00:54

Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. are all like a bad night in Beirut these days.

That people actually believe this is kind of crazy, but there is a lot of misinformation and salacious bullshit out there... so eat it up I guess.

I'm just reporting on my own experiences in those places. I was in Detroit, Cleveland, and a few smaller towns just two months ago. Pittsburgh and some other places last year. Granted, it's not all bad, but way too much of it is - at least compared to the rest of the first world. Get out, do some traveling, see if I'm wrong. I think you'd be very surprised. If you have nothing to compare it to, it doesn't seem that bad.
"While playing golf today I hit two good balls. I stepped on a rake." - Henny Youngman

Nov 28, 2023, 22:01
Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 28, 2023, 22:01
Nov 28, 2023, 22:01

Is this "QAnon" in the room with us right now?

Nov 28, 2023, 21:23
Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 28, 2023, 21:23
Nov 28, 2023, 21:23

We live in a world where people legitimately believe that large cities like Portland and Seattle were "burned to the ground" in 2020. Facts and critical thinking be damned.

Nov 28, 2023, 20:54
NKD
Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 28, 2023, 20:54
Nov 28, 2023, 20:54
NKD

I sure missed this brand of thinly veiled racism. So glad we let it back in. Good job.
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Nov 28, 2023, 20:52
Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 28, 2023, 20:52
Nov 28, 2023, 20:52

It's just completely divorced from reality. By any metric Pittsburgh is one of the fastest rising cities in the nation. Detroit, too, but that had hit rock bottom. Pittsburgh is legitimately a city in the rise.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older