Out of the Blue

Well, after two weeks, a progress report on my plan to work on expanding my typing to properly use all my fingers is that it's a rousing failure. My thought was to just hunker down and type properly, even if it meant going slowly and watching the keyboard. But old habits die hard, and I constantly catch myself having reverted to using a couple of fingers on each hand. After all, and I have been typing like this my whole life. I'm not giving up on this idea just yet, and will probably break out my free copy of Epistory - Typing Chronicles or pick up Typing of the Dead and see if I can gamify myself.

Typed-up Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Stories

Science

Media
Thanks The Flying Penguin and Acleacius.

Creature Features

Follow-ups

The Funnies

View : : :
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: No progress
Nov 30, 2023, 09:42
Prez

Re: OotB: No progress Nov 30, 2023, 09:42
Nov 30, 2023, 09:42
 Prez

I always light-heartedly poke fun at all of the doom and gloom being tossed around here, but honestly that's only because I can maintain a good mood by adopting the "always expect the absolute worst, so every surprise is a good one" principle. It probably isn't conducive to affecting a positive change, but it keeps me from being depressed. 🙂
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 30, 2023, 08:40
Re: OotB: No progress Nov 30, 2023, 08:40
Nov 30, 2023, 08:40

Completely understand your POV on this, Prez. I might have joined you a decade or so ago. However, for whatever reason, as I have gotten older I have been more willing to allow hope into my views. Even when logic might dictate there is very little chance of a positive outcome. I agree, it would require a miracle for significant change to happen in the next 20-30 years, so beyond my life also.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Nov 29, 2023, 15:17
Prez

Re: OotB: No progress Nov 29, 2023, 15:17
Nov 29, 2023, 15:17
 Prez

Can't be changed? I wouldn't go that far. Extremely difficult to be changed and unlikely to be changed any time soon.

I understand your point, but in my world those are basically synonymous. If I ever sense that the pendulum might be swinging in a more favorable direction, sure, I'll put my finger on the scale to help get the balance back in reason's favor. But that won't happen. Certainly not in my lifetime.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 29, 2023, 14:25
Re: OotB: No progress Nov 29, 2023, 14:25
Nov 29, 2023, 14:25

Prez wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 13:26:
I don't champion nuclear power generation anymore, but that's only because I see where we have gotten to, and I've lived long enough to know that means I have to accept what can't be changed.
Can't be changed? I wouldn't go that far. Extremely difficult to be changed and unlikely to be changed any time soon. Yeah, unfortunately. Maybe about the time the southern half of Florida is under a foot of sea water they might see the light...

Nov 29, 2023, 13:26
Prez

Re: OotB: No progress Nov 29, 2023, 13:26
Nov 29, 2023, 13:26
 Prez

It is a negative yes. But compared to literally heating the planet up to the point of massive global catastrophes? Not even close to being as bad. Also, we've had the technology to re-use nuclear waste since the 60's, rendering it far less radioactive for a far briefer time. But blah-blah blah, money and politics, blah blah blah.

I don't champion nuclear power generation anymore, but that's only because I see where we have gotten to, and I've lived long enough to know that means I have to accept what can't be changed.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2023, 13:39.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 29, 2023, 12:17
Re: OotB: No progress Nov 29, 2023, 12:17
Nov 29, 2023, 12:17

Hmm. Okay, how about this: Would you say I am wrong to think the process used in US nuclear plants is less than ideal and better designed plants could be built which would produce less (or even no) forever waste? ie.. the kind of waste which will be dangerously radioactive for thousands of years. (I agree the Three Mile Island incident is only tangentially about nuclear power).

Nov 29, 2023, 11:43
Prez

Re: OotB: No progress Nov 29, 2023, 11:43
Nov 29, 2023, 11:43
 Prez

No. Not really. I would agree that the morons trying to be elusive and not inform the public during the 3-mile Island incident just to save face so that they could possibly hide how stupid they were was bad. But that has nothing to do with nuclear power.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 29, 2023, 11:37
Re: OotB: No progress Nov 29, 2023, 11:37
Nov 29, 2023, 11:37

Prez, would you agree the way we do it in the US is "bad"?

Nov 29, 2023, 10:56
Prez

Re: OotB: No progress Nov 29, 2023, 10:56
Nov 29, 2023, 10:56
 Prez

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 10:43:
Ah, okay. I phrased my comment the way I did because I initially thought you were saying it was safe. Then, I re-parsed the first sentence and it seemed to be saying it wasn't safe. After a few minutes I decided I could not be certain what you were meaning to say.

I think nuclear power can be done safely (although I admit I could be wrong). However, I do not think the way it is done in the US is acceptable. Yes, we seem to have the technology. But can we get the corporations to use the safer, more costly methods? I have my doubts.

Suffice it to say that enough of those doubts have been sewn that it will never be accepted as a viable answer, hence my supreme frustration.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 29, 2023, 10:43
Re: OotB: No progress Nov 29, 2023, 10:43
Nov 29, 2023, 10:43

Ah, okay. I phrased my comment the way I did because I initially thought you were saying it was safe. Then, I re-parsed the first sentence and it seemed to be saying it wasn't safe. After a few minutes I decided I could not be certain what you were meaning to say.

I think nuclear power can be done safely (although I admit I could be wrong). However, I do not think the way it is done in the US is acceptable. Yes, we seem to have the technology. But can we get the corporations to use the safer, more costly methods? I have my doubts.

Nov 29, 2023, 10:31
Prez

Re: OotB: No progress Nov 29, 2023, 10:31
Nov 29, 2023, 10:31
 Prez

I guess I worded it confusingly. But to be clear, I meant to say that, factually and statistically, nuclear power generation is safer and vastly more productive than any power generation currently known to man. I have major frustration with all of the alarming signs of global warming that people keep bringing up. We have the answer to hugely reduced carbon emissions and greenhouse gasses right in front of us, and it isn't just a possible technology for the future; we have it RIGHT NOW.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 29, 2023, 10:18
Re: OotB: No progress Nov 29, 2023, 10:18
Nov 29, 2023, 10:18

Prez wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 09:38:
And no, nuclear power being anything but the safest and by far the best form of energy generation is the actual lie. I could post actual statistics but no one cares to believe anything except what their delusion allows them to.
Unless one of us confused, you seem to be saying nuclear power is not safe. That might be correct. This subject holds some small amount of interest for me. I think for the way the US does nuclear it would be a correct conclusion.

However, I have read about alternative methods which create waste which can be processed to the point it will not be a danger for thousands of years. It is not clear to me how easily or effectively those methods scale. My assumption is it wouldn't be "as cost effective", in this case though that term ignores the cost of having large amounts of nuclear waste created by the US method. I have no firm position in this area. I know I have only a small understanding of the subject. I currently think that basically, the US energy industry made all the wrong choices on how to do nuclear. Their decisions were, unsurprisingly, all based on maximizing profit. The result was a process which creates more dangerous waste than is technically necessary. All that said, I will admit I think it is possible there is no really safe way to do it. I'm hoping there is a "reasonable" way to do it. Because burning carbon has become a major problem...

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2023, 10:29.

Nov 29, 2023, 09:38
Prez

Re: OotB: No progress Nov 29, 2023, 09:38
Nov 29, 2023, 09:38
 Prez

Beamer wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 07:09:
opie wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 00:23:
go woke, go broke.

It's baffling the mental gymnastics people do to believe this. They'll say it simultaneously while also claiming companies only do "woke" things to make more money.

Those are mutually exclusive thoughts that someone only has when they can't come to terms with how unpopular their beliefs are with the core spenders in America.

I would be somewhat okay with gross oversimplifications if they weren't demonstrably false in a huge number of cases. But yeah, it's kind of amazing that this is still being used by people. It is basic evidence of intellectual laziness in just a few words, so I guess its usage still has some value.

And no, nuclear power being anything but the safest and by far the best form of energy generation is the actual lie. I could post actual statistics but no one cares to believe anything except what their delusion allows them to.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 29, 2023, 07:09
Re: OotB: No progress Nov 29, 2023, 07:09
Nov 29, 2023, 07:09

opie wrote on Nov 29, 2023, 00:23:
go woke, go broke.

It's baffling the mental gymnastics people do to believe this. They'll say it simultaneously while also claiming companies only do "woke" things to make more money.

Those are mutually exclusive thoughts that someone only has when they can't come to terms with how unpopular their beliefs are with the core spenders in America.

Nicolas Cage Rewatches
Nov 29, 2023, 05:35
Nicolas Cage Rewatches Nov 29, 2023, 05:35
Nov 29, 2023, 05:35

Disappointed they didn’t include Space Ass.

Nov 29, 2023, 00:23
Re: OotB: No progress Nov 29, 2023, 00:23
Nov 29, 2023, 00:23

"After 151 years, Popular Science will no longer offer a magazine"

Cancelled my subscriptions to both pop sci and pop mech, after 12 years, in about 2013 when they started talking politics and not science or mechanics.

go woke, go broke.

Nov 28, 2023, 22:10
Topaz

Re: OotB: No progress Nov 28, 2023, 22:10
Nov 28, 2023, 22:10
 Topaz

Don't get discouraged, Blue. It's worth the investment of time to learn to type properly.

I was a 2-finger typist well into my 40s. I learned to type with a free on-line typing tutor, which, unfortunately, is long gone. I did a quick search and found https://www.typingspeedtests.com/ which seems similar. The important thing is to type whole sentences and practice to build speed and maintain it. I took the 3-minute test and did less than 30 wpm. That's terrible! When I've been practicing, I have reached 85 wpm. I actually think I'll be visiting that site for a while, since I've obviously gotten rusty. I've recently noticed that I've been making more errors when I type, which is yet another good reason to practice.

Whatever game/app you choose, try to keep with it. Typing can truly be as effortless as speaking, but there's a large up-front hurtle. Good luck!

P.S. I just noticed this was my 26th post and it's apparently "suspect". Considering I've been a member since 2005, shouldn't it say "Lurker" or something? :-)

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2023, 22:49.

Nov 28, 2023, 21:57
Re: OotB: No progress Nov 28, 2023, 21:57
Nov 28, 2023, 21:57

Sigh.

Nov 28, 2023, 19:54
Re: OotB: No progress Nov 28, 2023, 19:54
Nov 28, 2023, 19:54

LostDog wrote on Nov 28, 2023, 19:16:
Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2023, 15:35:

Westinghouse can't even make decent appliances, and people should trust them to make mini nuclear weapons - yeah, because no one will ever be able to weaponize one of these things, right? This has zero advantage over solar panels and wind pods and a ton of downsides they do not. And how is this thing supposed to be remotely cost efficient? From the follow-up article....

Huge difference between solar and wind. The new micro reactor is a good design. This is a high temperature gas cooled reactor that can co-generate process heat and electricity. The process heat side has many applications that will eliminate the need for burning fossil fuels. From the perspective of a "carbon free" goal, this reactor can easily be justified considering how many tons of CO2 it will eliminate.

The CA$80M number is not unjustified. The amount of regulation, licensing, and testing required before these can be built is staggering.

Full disclosure... I'm part of the supply chain for this exact reactor (among others). I also am in the supply chain of the solar industry. From seeing both, I'd support nuclear any day over solar.

Then you sure know more about it than I do, Gunga Din. So how much are one these things exactly? And can they be weaponized? Even the video and follow-up article illustrates they're potentially very dangerous and unclean. I'm just pissed because things are just as bad up here these days as they are down there and, we the people, sure as shit need the $100 mil they're pissing away on this a lot more than a few scientists in fucking Saskatchewan. And again, for that amount of money that could build a metric shit ton of solar and wind pods for houses and buildings here. I despise the lie that 'nukular' energy is clean and safe. That really gets on my tits.

"While playing golf today I hit two good balls. I stepped on a rake." - Henny Youngman

Nov 28, 2023, 19:16
Re: OotB: No progress Nov 28, 2023, 19:16
Nov 28, 2023, 19:16

Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2023, 15:35:

Westinghouse can't even make decent appliances, and people should trust them to make mini nuclear weapons - yeah, because no one will ever be able to weaponize one of these things, right? This has zero advantage over solar panels and wind pods and a ton of downsides they do not. And how is this thing supposed to be remotely cost efficient? From the follow-up article....

Huge difference between solar and wind. The new micro reactor is a good design. This is a high temperature gas cooled reactor that can co-generate process heat and electricity. The process heat side has many applications that will eliminate the need for burning fossil fuels. From the perspective of a "carbon free" goal, this reactor can easily be justified considering how many tons of CO2 it will eliminate.

The CA$80M number is not unjustified. The amount of regulation, licensing, and testing required before these can be built is staggering.

Full disclosure... I'm part of the supply chain for this exact reactor (among others). I also am in the supply chain of the solar industry. From seeing both, I'd support nuclear any day over solar.
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older