New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week

The Official Tribes Discord Server now reflects plans for a new game based on Tribes, the squad-based multiplayer shooter series pioneered by Dynamix back in the 20th century. This was uncovered a couple of weeks ago by FPS-Z.com (thanks Evan), which reports the new game does not yet have a title, but is in the works at Prophecy Games, an indie developer originally formed as an internal studio at Hi-Rez, which now owns the Tribes IP. The original reveal expresses skepticism that this project will have legs, noting that Prophecy Games has a poor track record in Early Access, having started a few short-lived projects over the past few years. A newer post discusses the Discord launch and the release of the first screenshots from the project, noting a resemblance to Tribes: Ascend. Discord has word that testing will get underway next week for a 5v5 capture the flag mode. Here's a previous Discord announcement the post shares:
Hey ya'll, we apologize for the lack of communication in these past couple of weeks as we've been very heads down in development. We can finally share some details, but don't want to make a big to do about it in Announcements (but it can be shared with the community). Our main focus has been quality, which is why updates are scarce. While Raiders is still in the works, it's proving to be more time-intensive than we originally thought, with the systems we want to implement. In lieu of that, we've started working on a new project, Tribes - a high paced Capture the Flag game, aiming for a quicker release in the next couple of months.

The overarching goal is to deliver really solid games in a time line that works for our goals. We're aware the limited communication is incredibly frustrating, but it's just something we have to do right now. Thank you so much for all of your hard work and helping us with the community. This situation sucks, Day and I are right there with you. We are going to keep fighting for you all, but for now, we just need to bear through it.
View : : :
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week
Nov 27, 2023, 14:35
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 27, 2023, 14:35
Nov 27, 2023, 14:35

phinn wrote on Nov 27, 2023, 11:51:
Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 27, 2023, 09:47:
...I feel that if they revive the series, they'll absolutely need to go back to their roots, otherwise, it will likely fizzle away...

Agree with this completely, gameplay needs to be somewhere between Tribes and Tribes 2, those games were just amazing. If it doesn't include mod support (few games do these days) then have more equipment, a bit closer to Renegades but more balanced, that mod got a bit too defensive.
Concur. More focus on cooperative play, less emphasis on lonewolfing the flag. Steam Workshop would be adored, it makes adding mods as easy as pie. I played the Midair release and good players instantly adapted to controlled skiing which led to almost unstoppably speedy flag captures. The next game needs some sort of barricade system perhaps - a balance between letting players zip through the flag zone to scoop it, but ability for defense to erect flag barricades. Perhaps Tribes 1 was new enough that players hadn't quite learned the ski-fly-scoop method, but now that Tribes players know that routine and have mastered it, there needs to be something to prevent it. Basically, skill caps. Some players aren't going to like that though.

Nov 27, 2023, 11:51
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 27, 2023, 11:51
Nov 27, 2023, 11:51

Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 27, 2023, 09:47:
...I feel that if they revive the series, they'll absolutely need to go back to their roots, otherwise, it will likely fizzle away...

Agree with this completely, gameplay needs to be somewhere between Tribes and Tribes 2, those games were just amazing. If it doesn't include mod support (few games do these days) then have more equipment, a bit closer to Renegades but more balanced, that mod got a bit too defensive.

Nov 27, 2023, 09:47
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 27, 2023, 09:47
Nov 27, 2023, 09:47

I'd be really surprised is they were to pull this one off. While Tribes was one of my favorite games of all time, I didn't like the way the series evolved. Tribes 1 (Starsiege) had a very skill-based system that required you to hone in on offensive and defensive tactics. There was also a lot of room to perfect a 1-on-1 scenario. The game modes were way more intense, with some of them requiring the infiltration of big bases (you had to go inside of the base and make your way back out). Even some of the vehicles had a purpose, which was always fun to switch off and on. Then Tribes 2 kind of polished everything that T1 was doing, but gameplay started to get a bit faster. Then with Tribes: Vengeance, it started to feel more like an e-sport (i.e. chase the flag runner), which I felt was not the direction to go. Then of course with Tribes: Ascend, it was full-on e-sport, very fast-paced games, and no feeling of war between the factions. I feel that if they revive the series, they'll absolutely need to go back to their roots, otherwise, it will likely fizzle away like Tribes: Ascend.

Nov 27, 2023, 04:27
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 27, 2023, 04:27
Nov 27, 2023, 04:27

Hump wrote on Nov 26, 2023, 17:46:
BTW. Tribes Ascend was a gem of a multiplayer game. Unfortunately it wasn't allowed to be mod-able like 1&2 were

Tribes Vengeance was sorely underrated, both as a single player and MP. Thank the Tribes "community" for ruining the reputation of both titles by their incessant whining
I don't think that "incessant whining" is why Tribes basically died. It's very much like what happened to Battletech/Mechwarrior, they didn't think they would reap the profits that they wanted so they didn't want to create more Tribes. Other franchises and other gaming trends earned them greater profits than they thought they could get with Tribes. They were partially right, Tribes didn't get Halo or Half Life (and mods) numbers.

Nov 27, 2023, 03:17
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 27, 2023, 03:17
Nov 27, 2023, 03:17

I only played Tribes Ascend but I had a lot of fun with it. Tried to get a Midair 2 but they are really difficult to obtain.
Now we donce.

Nov 27, 2023, 02:45
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 27, 2023, 02:45
Nov 27, 2023, 02:45

This could actually work. Tribes gameplay could become "the" competitive team based shooter if done correctly. I think people are tired of the rock-paper-scissors semi-MOBA bullshit or the hyper "realistic" modern warfare clones, where controlling recoil is GOD shtick. I know I am.

Nov 26, 2023, 17:46
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 26, 2023, 17:46
Nov 26, 2023, 17:46

BTW. Tribes Ascend was a gem of a multiplayer game. Unfortunately it wasn't allowed to be mod-able like 1&2 were

Tribes Vengeance was sorely underrated, both as a single player and MP. Thank the Tribes "community" for ruining the reputation of both titles by their incessant whining
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Nov 26, 2023, 17:38
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 26, 2023, 17:38
Nov 26, 2023, 17:38

God help any developer who tries to take on a new Tribes game.

no explanation needed
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Nov 26, 2023, 10:03
Wilhuf

Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 26, 2023, 10:03
Nov 26, 2023, 10:03
 Wilhuf

Woohoo!

Nov 26, 2023, 08:32
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 26, 2023, 08:32
Nov 26, 2023, 08:32

I don't think I've played since Tribes 2. Mostly because it's tough to beat perfection. If I can't ski down hills in my FPS it can go take a (non-)flying leap!
I should be coding.

Nov 26, 2023, 01:46
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 26, 2023, 01:46
Nov 26, 2023, 01:46

Ugh... I'll probably try it. I had high hopes for Ascend, even spent some money on it. but it didnt take them long before dropping the game. I do think in todays gaming landscape tribes should look quite a bit different, but what ever.

Nov 26, 2023, 01:19
Des
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 26, 2023, 01:19
Nov 26, 2023, 01:19
Des

phinn wrote on Nov 25, 2023, 13:49:
Tribes, especially with Renegades mod, is one of my favorite FPS of all time. Up there with Battlefield 2 and 3. Really hope they can bring this IP back to life there is simply nothing else like it.

Shazbot!
Overon wrote on Nov 25, 2023, 14:21:
I loved Team Aerial Combat mod (TAC 2) for Tribes 2. You touch the ground and you die. Everything happened in the air.

Honestly, these two mods were amazing. I remember renegades having so much stuff, structures, more deployables. There were so many systems in Tribes and T2 you see a fraction of that in games today.
TAC was one the most fun things ever, the imagination, execution and gameplay back then is just a magical era of gaming for me.

TherMight wrote on Nov 25, 2023, 15:47:
Me too! Very fond memories. I actually have the Tribes soundtrack ripped from redmine cd audio that I play regularly. It was such great techno and atmospheric music from a completely unknown band.
But the multiplayer was so good.
They tried relaunching their f2p version and it just didn't do it for me.

You mean the Tribes 2 music? It was so atmospheric for those maps and was just the best mood setter for some epic multiplayer times.
https://archive.org/details/the-tribes-2-experience-flac-fixed-cover
I can gush about these games for hours, a golden era.

Nov 25, 2023, 21:53
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 25, 2023, 21:53
Nov 25, 2023, 21:53

Nov 25, 2023, 21:39
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 25, 2023, 21:39
Nov 25, 2023, 21:39

SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT!
SHAZBOT!

Nov 25, 2023, 15:47
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 25, 2023, 15:47
Nov 25, 2023, 15:47

The Flying Penguin wrote on Nov 25, 2023, 12:00:
Well if this ever gets off the ground I may look at it. I have fond memories of Tribes. One of the few multiplayer games that, for some reason, wasn't full of griefers and hackers at the time.
Me too! Very fond memories. I actually have the Tribes soundtrack ripped from redmine cd audio that I play regularly. It was such great techno and atmospheric music from a completely unknown band.
But the multiplayer was so good.
They tried relaunching their f2p version and it just didn't do it for me.

Nov 25, 2023, 15:45
Prez

Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 25, 2023, 15:45
Nov 25, 2023, 15:45
 Prez

The balancing act of the advancements since, the change in the market, and keeping the "Tribes" in "Tribes" will have to be perfect. But it can be done.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 25, 2023, 15:27
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 25, 2023, 15:27
Nov 25, 2023, 15:27

good luck - but I doubt it will fly. I played a lot T2 in a clan but at that time there was no competitor. Than BF1942 came.

I checked T Ascent which also by far never got the popularity of T1/T2. Not sure why they think a new Tribes will do better.

Nov 25, 2023, 15:17
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 25, 2023, 15:17
Nov 25, 2023, 15:17

New Tribes ?? whaaaaat

Nov 25, 2023, 15:06
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 25, 2023, 15:06
Nov 25, 2023, 15:06

Yesss!!!! This is the best gaming news I've heard in awhile! I've played most of the Tribes games over the years and always found them to be some of the best gaming experiences I've ever had in multiplayer. There is just nothing like momentum based shooting combined with skiing around the map at ludicrous speeds... and when you are able to fly by and scoop up the flag and return it without slowing down, there's just a magic that is hard to find in any other game for me. It really pushed my abilities in gaming and was such a reward when I was able to make it all happen, also getting that super long distance disc launcher kill on an enemy that was flying around the map... just butter
VGW (woohoo) VGS (shazbot!)

Easily the best CTF in any MP game due to the balance between attack, defense, and the chase (ohh the sweet chase)

I will support this fully, even if it's only as good as the last Tribes Ascend (which wasn't as good as the classics but I thought still rocked, I still play it sometimes but you have to connect directly to UK servers)

Nov 25, 2023, 14:44
Re: New Tribes CTF Testing Next Week Nov 25, 2023, 14:44
Nov 25, 2023, 14:44

Kardore wrote on Nov 25, 2023, 14:40:
I loved Team Aerial Combat mod for Tribes 2. You touch the ground and you die. Everything happened in the air.

Never played 2 myself, but TAC for Tribes 1 was the first game I ever played competitively with a clan, and the only one I ever enjoyed. Still some of my fondest memories in gaming.
Nice
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older