EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games

The European Council announces it has "approved conclusions on enhancing the cultural and creative dimension of the European video games sector." Noting the video game sector "has great potential to transmit cultural content and highlight the value of the richness of European creation, heritage and history," the announcement sounds both positive and vague. The call to action for member states likewise seems constructive, but less than concrete:
In order to harness the great potential of video games in culture, economy and society, the Council calls on member states to:

• support the creative and cultural dimension of video games, including the use of cultural heritage data in the creative process and the protection of intellectual property rights
  • help European video game enterprises to grow, innovate and have access to funding
  • attract and retain talent among video game professionals in the European job market
  • promote responsible gaming and ensure a safe online environment for video games

The Council also invites the Commission to:

• promote equality in the video games sector to ensure gender balance and equal pay
  • encourage cross-border co-productions of video games between member states
  • support cooperation with other cultural industries and sectors of the European economy
  • boost the competitiveness of European video game companies, in particular SMEs

View : : :
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games
Nov 27, 2023, 11:55
Prez

Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 27, 2023, 11:55
Nov 27, 2023, 11:55
 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Nov 26, 2023, 17:22:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 26, 2023, 10:06:
“But they still think the Jan 6 insurrection was completely justified.”
I no longer associate with cult members who think the above. They’re broken and not worth my time.
His parents, so not really an option.

Well I thought that would be inherently obvious, but I guess not. Thanks.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 26, 2023, 17:22
Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 26, 2023, 17:22
Nov 26, 2023, 17:22

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 26, 2023, 10:06:
I no longer associate with cult members who think the above. They’re broken and not worth my time.
His parents, so not really an option.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Nov 26, 2023, 10:06
Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 26, 2023, 10:06
Nov 26, 2023, 10:06

"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Nov 26, 2023, 09:34
Prez

Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 26, 2023, 09:34
Nov 26, 2023, 09:34
 Prez

Not sure if you're right or not rogue banshee but you certainly echoed my thoughts exactly. Great insight.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 26, 2023, 07:37
Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 26, 2023, 07:37
Nov 26, 2023, 07:37

Prez wrote on Nov 26, 2023, 07:04:
I'll admit I have a high level of personal frustration on this matter making me very cynical. My mom and dad are pretty smart. <snip>
Sounds like they've trapped themselves in a mindset similar to "Changing my mind is bad because that means I was wrong about something I am passionate about." It's often accompanied by sentiments like "If I was wrong that means I've failed as a human being, so I'll fight anything that could show me being wrong", "If I picked the wrong group, I'd have to admit to making mistakes to my previous adversaries" and "If I leave this group, I'll be alone."

It's tribalism at its worst and it happens all the time in part due to basic human nature. How smart you are has nothing to do with whether you can trap youself in a tribalistic mindset, it's part of how the human mind works. We basically need to split the world into groups to comprehend things and it has always been easy to go for the tribal mindset of "my group" vs "everyone else". Modern media thrive on this, especially social media where echo chambers quickly form, with exposure to other groups being (usually) limited to the most extreme views that garner a reaction. All of which lead to the first paragraph.

Nov 26, 2023, 07:04
Prez

Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 26, 2023, 07:04
Nov 26, 2023, 07:04
 Prez

I'll admit I have a high level of personal frustration on this matter making me very cynical. My mom and dad are pretty smart. They are my mom and dad and I love them. But they still think the Jan 6 insurrection was completely justified. If I tell them to watch the CCTV-based timeline put together by multiple news organizations, I get "I'm not watching that fake news!" If you use mental gymnastics to just dismiss everything that contradicts what you already have made up your mind is the truth then you are untouchable. My new solution is to completely shutdown any conversation on politics and religion, full stop.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 26, 2023, 06:41
Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 26, 2023, 06:41
Nov 26, 2023, 06:41

Still, I like to think that every little -as does a vote- heIps.

Example, on another level of course, the sufficient repetition of opinions caused the rapist Brock Turner effect (Brock Allen Turner !) that worked much better than nothing.
(Lenient judge was recused, culprit has to register for life as a sex offender).

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2023, 07:03.

Nov 26, 2023, 06:28
Prez

Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 26, 2023, 06:28
Nov 26, 2023, 06:28
 Prez

I was actually talking within a specific context. I will generally counter misinformation that is factually wrong and is in contravention of actual scientific evidence for that express purpose - to ensure the lies seeking to subvert the evidence have a counterpoint so someone is not only exposed to lies. In the context of "The EU bad" I don't bother. Everyone has an opinion, and it's not like they're actually going to say, "Oh no, they're right! Hurry, shut down the government!"

Lies are going to flourish anyway though. I'm coming to believe it's all just a waste of time. Flat earthers are a good example of this. There is just such an overwhelming amount of evidence that this is nonsense yet people still believe it. You can't counter that level of irrational delusion.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2023, 06:42.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 26, 2023, 05:24
Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 26, 2023, 05:24
Nov 26, 2023, 05:24

WannaLogAlready wrote on Nov 25, 2023, 22:42:
Also, it's interesting, sometimes fun or annoying, but a nice public service, to caution newbies away from otherwise uncontested lies.
If noone does this the lies will just flourish and be taken as truth by people with no experience in the subject.

Nov 26, 2023, 02:26
Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 26, 2023, 02:26
Nov 26, 2023, 02:26

WannaLogAlready wrote on Nov 25, 2023, 22:42:
It's always prudent to look out of the window before going out.
The same principle applies socially.

Reading, knowing what others think gives you a better grasp of the social reality (or irreality) giving a wider picture, instead of encapsulating ourselves in our certainties, comfort or disgust.

Also, it's interesting, sometimes fun or annoying, but a nice public service, to caution newbies away from otherwise uncontested lies.

Thumbsup

Nov 25, 2023, 22:42
Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 25, 2023, 22:42
Nov 25, 2023, 22:42

It's always prudent to look out of the window before going out.
The same principle applies socially.

Reading, knowing what others think gives you a better grasp of the social reality (or irreality) giving a wider picture, instead of encapsulating ourselves in our certainties, comfort or disgust.

Nov 25, 2023, 12:13
Prez

Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 25, 2023, 12:13
Nov 25, 2023, 12:13
 Prez

I still question why smart people answer obviously deluded to the point of near-insanity posters logically. Whether you are a "mindless leftist" as I apparently am now, a reasonable conservative, moderate, or whatever other stupid labels some moron might want to apply, you really should be able to recognize irrational psychotics and know they are beyond reaching pretty easily. But you do you.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 25, 2023, 11:52
Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 25, 2023, 11:52
Nov 25, 2023, 11:52

Beamer wrote on Nov 25, 2023, 06:23:
ZeroPike1 wrote on Nov 25, 2023, 03:37:
Xil wrote on Nov 25, 2023, 00:33:
As a European, I have really no idea where you get most of your information from, but let's just say that I think that you are exaggerating the issues and the above is something I would expect to hear from a Wilders or Le Pen during election times. Are there issues, of course, but overall it is not as bad as you describe, but sadly it seems there is no room anymore for the middle ground, just extreme left or extreme right.

As a transplanted American to the EU, most of the news our forum friend Walt gets about the EU is from filtered right wing sources. Because they would rather demonise the EU to try to make America look good by comparison. Instead of realising you can have life saving social programs and democracy at the same time. That does not compute on his side of the chart so they tell themselves that the EU doesn’t work.

Does the EU have faults? Ohh absolutely! Do I fear becoming homeless? Or being bankrupt from medical expenses being here though? Nope.

There's also projection, as Walt seeks to stagnate/reverse American culture through militant Christianity

I know. Its pretty evident.
Rimmer: “Step up to Red Alert.”
Kryten: “Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.”

Nov 25, 2023, 09:13
Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 25, 2023, 09:13
Nov 25, 2023, 09:13

WaltSee wrote on Nov 24, 2023, 15:41:
All of this translates to the EU's intention to create EU games under the sanction of the EUC, which spells censorship and government manipulation, via government lawyers, of game content. They are already doing that (EUC) in other areas of the Internet right now--or attempting it, I should say. I cannot respect any forum which gives the government the right to censor posts that simply state opinions the government may oppose. Glad it doesn't affect me! Liberal governments wherever they exist have become obsessed with controlling what people think and say on the Internet, if possible. It's because they cannot control it that they wish to implement control. It's understood that all governments disguise their dictatorial bents with grandiose terms --like "protecting the culture"--and so on. All dictatorships begin with benevolent goals and statements, and by the time the populace wakes up to where things are really going, it is often too late to change things.

As far as the EU/EUC's desire to express the richness of European culture, which I value myself as an American beneficiary of much of those cultures, look at what the EU is doing with illegal immigration--that has run so wild that many European states are seeing their historical cultures eroded and even destroyed. Looking on the bright side, perhaps this is a last-gasp effort of Europeans to preserve what is so great and memorable in their cultures against the rabid erosion of those values by foreign influx, such as militant Islam--which seeks to dominate and control these cultures, completely. Will be interesting to see how things develop.

I think I might have just had a brain aneurysm form all this nonsense you just wrote.

Nov 25, 2023, 06:23
Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 25, 2023, 06:23
Nov 25, 2023, 06:23

ZeroPike1 wrote on Nov 25, 2023, 03:37:
As a European, I have really no idea where you get most of your information from, but let's just say that I think that you are exaggerating the issues and the above is something I would expect to hear from a Wilders or Le Pen during election times. Are there issues, of course, but overall it is not as bad as you describe, but sadly it seems there is no room anymore for the middle ground, just extreme left or extreme right.

As a transplanted American to the EU, most of the news our forum friend Walt gets about the EU is from filtered right wing sources. Because they would rather demonise the EU to try to make America look good by comparison. Instead of realising you can have life saving social programs and democracy at the same time. That does not compute on his side of the chart so they tell themselves that the EU doesn’t work.

Does the EU have faults? Ohh absolutely! Do I fear becoming homeless? Or being bankrupt from medical expenses being here though? Nope.

There's also projection, as Walt seeks to stagnate/reverse American culture through militant Christianity

Nov 25, 2023, 03:37
Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 25, 2023, 03:37
Nov 25, 2023, 03:37

Rimmer: “Step up to Red Alert.”
Kryten: “Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.”

Nov 25, 2023, 00:33
Xil

Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 25, 2023, 00:33
Nov 25, 2023, 00:33
 Xil

WaltSee wrote on Nov 24, 2023, 15:41:
All of this translates to the EU's intention to create EU games under the sanction of the EUC, which spells censorship and government manipulation, via government lawyers, of game content. They are already doing that (EUC) in other areas of the Internet right now--or attempting it, I should say. I cannot respect any forum which gives the government the right to censor posts that simply state opinions the government may oppose. Glad it doesn't affect me! Liberal governments wherever they exist have become obsessed with controlling what people think and say on the Internet, if possible. It's because they cannot control it that they wish to implement control. It's understood that all governments disguise their dictatorial bents with grandiose terms --like "protecting the culture"--and so on. All dictatorships begin with benevolent goals and statements, and by the time the populace wakes up to where things are really going, it is often too late to change things.

As far as the EU/EUC's desire to express the richness of European culture, which I value myself as an American beneficiary of much of those cultures, look at what the EU is doing with illegal immigration--that has run so wild that many European states are seeing their historical cultures eroded and even destroyed. Looking on the bright side, perhaps this is a last-gasp effort of Europeans to preserve what is so great and memorable in their cultures against the rabid erosion of those values by foreign influx, such as militant Islam--which seeks to dominate and control these cultures, completely. Will be interesting to see how things develop.

Nov 24, 2023, 23:27
Prez

Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 24, 2023, 23:27
Nov 24, 2023, 23:27
 Prez

Well I read waltsee's post and its not braindead its right on the money. If you think that his post or a post like that is brain dead that all that tells me is you are just another run of the mill mindless leftist.

Well, all that tells me is that he is getting some company on my ignore list. I'm too old for for your immature nonsense.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 24, 2023, 22:41
Jivaro

Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 24, 2023, 22:41
Nov 24, 2023, 22:41
 Jivaro

I love sock puppets.

Nov 24, 2023, 21:23
Re: EU Council Calls to Protect Culture in Video Games Nov 24, 2023, 21:23
Nov 24, 2023, 21:23

Prez wrote on Nov 24, 2023, 17:02:
Bill Borre wrote on Nov 24, 2023, 16:54:
I'm curious how you know he posted if you have him on ignore.

Because his name showed up right above mine, telling me he posted. But instead of having to read brain-dead nonsense, I get this:

Ignored
Nov 24, 2023, 16:23
WaltSee
To view this user's posts click on the username.

Well I read waltsee's post and its not braindead its right on the money. If you think that his post or a post like that is brain dead that all that tells me is you are just another run of the mill mindless leftist.

but...

even if you disagree generally with waltsee and you can acknowledge his post is important and not brain dead there may be hope for you to have some sort of self actualized thought process going on.
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older