Out of the Blue

Thank you very much for the well-wishing for my birthday. As I mentioned, we already went out for this, so last night was rather low-key, which is how I like it. And as it turns out, MrsBlue is feeling a little under the weather, so it was good timing to stay in. She's laying low, and hopefully will feel better quickly. But we're concerned this may waylay our Thanksgiving plans, so we may be doing even more laying low than expected. We'll see. Speaking of Thanksgiving, along with the Sunday after, the Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving are the busiest travel days of the year in the U.S. So please be careful if you're out on the road.

Laid-low Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Science

Media

Creature Features

View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

This congressman was one of the last people to see JFK alive. 60 years later, he looks back
Nov 23, 2023, 03:20
This congressman was one of the last people to see JFK alive. 60 years later, he looks back Nov 23, 2023, 03:20
Nov 23, 2023, 03:20

This article made me remember that I was actually the last one to ever speak to my brother before he died. He had been sick with covid a few days. About 3:00 in the morning he texted me and I was still awake and I texted him back and we talked a little bit about this and that and I hoped that he felt better in the morning and he said he was going to try to go to sleep. The coroner said they believe he died about 6:30 that morning.

Another weird thing happened to me earlier in my life when I worked construction. Me and a couple of my buddies that I worked with decided that we're going to go to a Chinese buffet for lunch that day. The construction super saw us getting ready to leave the parking lot and asked if he could join us and we said sure. He was a cool guy named Jimmy, about 32 years old and really likable. Naturally we all bullshitted with each other back and forth and cut each other down like guys do. So we get to the Chinese buffet and Jimmy is ahead of me in the line.

Just as a side note, Jimmy had a heart condition his whole life apparently since he was a kid but he kept it under control with medicine so everything was usually okay about that but, he had already had two separate heart attacks a little bit earlier in his life. Of course, being men and assholes, we made fun of him about this sometimes.

I of course, being the professional asshole that I am, wanting to poke fun at Jimmy so I say out loud in the buffet line, "Jimmy, I wish you would hurry up and have a heart attack so I might get something to eat before my lunch break is over". We all laughed about that and then after we ate we went back to our job and it was a Friday so we were finished for the week. Well, the following Monday when we get to the job site Jimmy's supervisor is there and he comes up and says, "Hey did you hear what happened to Jimmy?". We hadn't heard anything so we said no and then he goes on to tell us that Jimmy had died over the weekend actually cutting his grass. He died sitting in his riding lawn mower in his front yard, of a heart attack. I think I almost literally had to pick my jaw up off the ground and the super later said that the color ran out of my face, I couldn't believe Jimmy was dead!

I guess the moral to this entire story is that if you ever feel like offing yourself but don't want it to be messy just give me a call or text me and apparently I can take care of it for you

With a damaged Panzer still hunting 'The Haunted Tank' and Gus out of ammo, Jeb knew there was only one option, "Slim, RAM!"

Re: OotB: Thank you!
Nov 23, 2023, 02:48
Jaysen

Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 23, 2023, 02:48
Nov 23, 2023, 02:48
 Jaysen

Belated Happy Birthday Blue. Glad you had a good time.

Nov 22, 2023, 20:58
Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 20:58
Nov 22, 2023, 20:58

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 22, 2023, 19:58:
Gotta be a different Tom Landry than the one which comes to mind immediately for me...

Ditto.

Landry's Steakhouse sprung to my mind.

I didn't find out it wasn't owned by Tom Landry until many years later but my brain still connects the two.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Nov 22, 2023, 20:39
Jivaro

Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 20:39
Nov 22, 2023, 20:39
 Jivaro

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 22, 2023, 19:58:
Gotta be a different Tom Landry than the one which comes to mind immediately for me...

lolol...me too....old Cowboys coach to me. Jerry Jones fired him and the GM, won a couple of super bowls with their picks, nd havent won shit since.

Nov 22, 2023, 19:58
Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 19:58
Nov 22, 2023, 19:58

“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Nov 22, 2023, 17:32
Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 17:32
Nov 22, 2023, 17:32

Thank you very much for the well-wishing for my birthday.

Missed your birthday - mea culpa. The Calendar Hobbit has been duly flogged.

21 again! Hope you had fun! Cthulhu
Kittens!

Nov 22, 2023, 17:12
Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 17:12
Nov 22, 2023, 17:12

Hump wrote on Nov 22, 2023, 16:39:
Not sure how many peoples will remember this late nod to the release of The Clash's 2nd seminal album other than Blue. November 10th 1978's release of Give Em Enough Rope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xgwXkULDCs&list=OLAK5uy_kFfgbbjsC3dPyEQM8Ol0Tcgu7S1YJWZu4

enjoy

-Tom Landry
The only band that matters.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Nov 22, 2023, 16:39
Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 16:39
Nov 22, 2023, 16:39

Not sure how many peoples will remember this late nod to the release of The Clash's 2nd seminal album other than Blue. November 10th 1978's release of Give Em Enough Rope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xgwXkULDCs&list=OLAK5uy_kFfgbbjsC3dPyEQM8Ol0Tcgu7S1YJWZu4

enjoy

-Tom Landry

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Nov 22, 2023, 15:17
Prez

Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 15:17
Nov 22, 2023, 15:17
 Prez

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 22, 2023, 11:42:
Prez wrote on Nov 22, 2023, 11:34:
I like to point out good articles, as they are pretty rare nowadays. The movie/music one is a good one. It's nice and short too.
And I appreciate it. Judging an article by the headline might be a poor way to select what you are going to read, but I see so many links everyday and I have only the time and will to read so many articles...

I am guilty of it too. A bad headline doesn't necessarily make for a bad article, but it certainly makes it far more likely that I won't read it. I understand the economics involved with making sure your headline gets more people to read your site, but I can't stand the recent trend of being deliberately provocative and misleading just to garner more interest.

It's FAR worse on YouTube in the way people title their videos. It's downright insulting and sometimes even pisses me off. But YouTube analytics make it clear that people who don't title their videos that way tend to get less views, and therefore less money.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 22, 2023, 14:49
Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 14:49
Nov 22, 2023, 14:49

I started to send Blue a link about Brown Friday, but it was too stinky with the new SmelloRoma Mask Only Website!
They thought VR would be good, wait till they get a Whiff of this Jiff !

My grammar sucks, edit !

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2023, 10:18.
Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Nov 22, 2023, 13:16
Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 13:16
Nov 22, 2023, 13:16

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 22, 2023, 13:01:
This is their linked source for that stat, it's nothing fancy -- they probably don't even pay for the premium service to see more than the summary: https://www.statista.com/statistics/935493/movies-watching-streaming-frequency-us-by-age/

The findings of a survey held in the United States in September 2021 revealed that 30 percent of adults aged between 35 and 44 years old said that they watched or streamed movies every day, making respondents in this age group the most likely to do so. By comparison, 21 percent of total respondents reported watching movies on a daily basis.
Well, that doesn't mean much does it. What do those people consider "watched or streamed". As we have talked about, having it on does not necessarily mean someone is watching it. Stats...the third and worst kind of lie.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2023, 13:35.

Nov 22, 2023, 13:01
Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 13:01
Nov 22, 2023, 13:01

This is their linked source for that stat, it's nothing fancy -- they probably don't even pay for the premium service to see more than the summary: https://www.statista.com/statistics/935493/movies-watching-streaming-frequency-us-by-age/

The findings of a survey held in the United States in September 2021 revealed that 30 percent of adults aged between 35 and 44 years old said that they watched or streamed movies every day, making respondents in this age group the most likely to do so. By comparison, 21 percent of total respondents reported watching movies on a daily basis.

Nov 22, 2023, 12:50
Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 12:50
Nov 22, 2023, 12:50

Oh, and if we are just counting "movies which my television displayed", my daily average is probably well over one a day.

Nov 22, 2023, 12:42
Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 12:42
Nov 22, 2023, 12:42

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 22, 2023, 12:26:
I doubt streaming a movie every day means it's always something they haven't seen or that they are necessarily sitting down and paying strict attention to it. A lot of folks just throw one on in the background while they're doing whatever else in or around that room, eating or cleaning or gaming or scrolling their phone. It's not my thing, either, I rarely put on a movie (or a show I haven't seen) if I'm not going to *watch* it.
Well, that might be what they mean. However, if it was a movie they had seen previously one would hope it was more likely they would remember details. I do understand what you are saying, I do it myself. I'll see a movie on which I like and with no better choice easily available I will turn it on. Sometimes I actually watch it and sometimes it is in the background while I am on the PC. But if that is what they mean, it really decreases the value.

Nov 22, 2023, 12:26
Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 12:26
Nov 22, 2023, 12:26

Happy belated, Blue!

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 22, 2023, 11:46:
LOL. First three sentences of that article:

Around one in five American adults manage to squeeze in watching a movie on a daily basis. It’s a great way to escape the daily grind and unwind with loved ones. But, what can you actually remember about last night’s film?
First, 20% of people are watching a movie everyday? Wow. I thought I watched a lot of movies, but the average would be less than one a day. Second, if you watch a film you have never seen previously once a day, it isn't surprising you might have problems remember the one you watched last night. Third, I guess I need to step up my game!

I doubt streaming a movie every day means it's always something they haven't seen or that they are necessarily sitting down and paying strict attention to it. A lot of folks just throw one on in the background while they're doing whatever else in or around that room, eating or cleaning or gaming or scrolling their phone. It's not my thing, either, I rarely put on a movie (or a show I haven't seen) if I'm not going to *watch* it.

Nov 22, 2023, 11:46
Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 11:46
Nov 22, 2023, 11:46

LOL. First three sentences of that article:

Around one in five American adults manage to squeeze in watching a movie on a daily basis. It’s a great way to escape the daily grind and unwind with loved ones. But, what can you actually remember about last night’s film?
First, 20% of people are watching a movie everyday? Wow. I thought I watched a lot of movies, but the average would be less than one a day. Second, if you watch a film you have never seen previously once a day, it isn't surprising you might have problems remember the one you watched last night. Third, I guess I need to step up my game!

Nov 22, 2023, 11:44
Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 11:44
Nov 22, 2023, 11:44

Ugh, driving to Charlotte, NC from Eastern TN after work today. Thank God Christmas is at our house this year.

Nov 22, 2023, 11:42
Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 11:42
Nov 22, 2023, 11:42

Prez wrote on Nov 22, 2023, 11:34:
I like to point out good articles, as they are pretty rare nowadays. The movie/music one is a good one. It's nice and short too.
And I appreciate it. Judging an article by the headline might be a poor way to select what you are going to read, but I see so many links everyday and I have only the time and will to read so many articles...

Nov 22, 2023, 11:34
Prez

Re: OotB: Thank you! Nov 22, 2023, 11:34
Nov 22, 2023, 11:34
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older