29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Biz Buzz
Nov 8, 2023, 11:37
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 8, 2023, 11:37
Nov 8, 2023, 11:37

Forget EGS: has given less than 400 games (substracting repeats) over 5 years, hardly affects the market.

Most are not that flashy and would have sunk into obscurity, others you already had or rarities you wouldn't have bought.

Gamepasses instead are more impactful.

Nov 8, 2023, 11:10
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 8, 2023, 11:10
Nov 8, 2023, 11:10

Kevbo wrote on Nov 7, 2023, 22:59:
I don't like Epic for various reasons even though I know they are doing some cool things with their engine. However 1 of the big things I don't like about Epic freebies is that it is causing people (especially the youth) to have no ability to properly value things. Things that should be valued, like artistic expressions of passion and hard work. I know the devs likely get a big stack of cash so the devs don't care. However I think the freebies is just another example of mega corps teaching it's citizens (especially the youth who are still learning to critically think even though our education system tries it's hardest to not teach that) to not understand how to value something. They are learning to expect things for free, expect things to just be given, not care if they are the product, and as we can see it's starting to send ripples through the work force as the youth just don't want to work. Just my crazy 2 cents but that's 1 of the biggest issues I have with Epic's plan to muscle it's way into gaming.

I see this a little bit in my Discord group with Gamepass stuff. Some new game comes out and they say "oh well, just wait for it to be free on Gamepass". Ironically Gamepass isn't free and the game should have some sort of value. I remember some CEO saying that the freebies/game streaming services were just a race to the bottom with devaluing IP and I'm starting to see his point now.

To be fair though, most of what Epic gives away is old stuff, very little new IP is given away. They started out with a bang but it's definitely been a whimper for awhile now. Gamepass on the other hand is more of a mixture of new/old IP.

Nov 8, 2023, 10:30
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 8, 2023, 10:30
Nov 8, 2023, 10:30

If affluent fathers buy games (and food, treats, toys, clothes, the occasional first car, or college studies) for their children or youngters it's expected and fine.
Did they pay for them ? No.
Will they expect to get everything for free in their lives ?, maybe.

But poor children or the young getting games for free, nahh, the horror !
Also, maybe they would flock to work if they were paid enough to cover the gas and eating out of home (and not be overworked sometimes).

Millions of people in many countries working like slaves to pay rent and food, if lucky to get work, nothing left for extras, with and old PC can play some of the EGS freebies: there is solace for them.

Seems like you restrict yourself to a limited personal experience, maybe the american frontiers.
Or the brainwashing manipulative conservative fantasy that *all* the hungry and needy *choose* that situation out of laziness.
They just didn't work "hard" enough.

Like blocking the subsidising of food for poor childrens at schools, or any other measly advantage.
Let them grow stunted or fail at their studies for lack of proper substenance.

Because GOP God forbid they have it easy enough to be fed ! (but He would never, no?).

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2023, 11:16.

Nov 7, 2023, 22:59
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 22:59
Nov 7, 2023, 22:59

I don't like Epic for various reasons even though I know they are doing some cool things with their engine. However 1 of the big things I don't like about Epic freebies is that it is causing people (especially the youth) to have no ability to properly value things. Things that should be valued, like artistic expressions of passion and hard work. I know the devs likely get a big stack of cash so the devs don't care. However I think the freebies is just another example of mega corps teaching it's citizens (especially the youth who are still learning to critically think even though our education system tries it's hardest to not teach that) to not understand how to value something. They are learning to expect things for free, expect things to just be given, not care if they are the product, and as we can see it's starting to send ripples through the work force as the youth just don't want to work. Just my crazy 2 cents but that's 1 of the biggest issues I have with Epic's plan to muscle it's way into gaming.

Nov 7, 2023, 19:18
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 19:18
Nov 7, 2023, 19:18

I am not sure EGS is still a worthwhile oursuit. I grab a smattering of the free games over there, but never play them. I also want The Expanse game, but I’m going to wait until it’s on Steam.

Just the way it is, I have no use for multiple storefronts. If GOG weren’t so anti-DRM I’d probably not shop over there either.
I should be coding.

Nov 7, 2023, 19:15
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 19:15
Nov 7, 2023, 19:15

WannaLogAlready wrote on Nov 7, 2023, 10:32:

Will the EGS fail ? Hope not, I respect their trying to gain a foothold against a behemoth like Steam (with a stellar service, undeniable), *and* Apple *and* Google.
Crazy cojones right there.

Boggles the mind that folks continually root for Goliath over David and against their own self-interest.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Nov 7, 2023, 17:03
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 17:03
Nov 7, 2023, 17:03

In so far as the Epic Game store, those points are irrelevant. More to the point the Epic Store is objectively terrible, by any metric of the user experience.

You’re effectively praising McDonalds on the business sense for selling McRibs, while I’m pointing out that their burgers are terrible.

Nov 7, 2023, 16:47
Quboid

Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 16:47
Nov 7, 2023, 16:47
 Quboid

Epic want to be the dominant force? Gosh, really, you don't say!

Bodolza wrote on Nov 7, 2023, 13:05:
I highly doubt we'll see much of a break from Yahtzee. He's got a ton of name recognition, so he could literally start his own Youtube channel tomorrow and get hundreds of thousands of subscribers in a few days.

Up to 20K so far: https://www.youtube.com/@SecondWindGroup

Nov 7, 2023, 13:05
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 13:05
Nov 7, 2023, 13:05

I highly doubt we'll see much of a break from Yahtzee. He's got a ton of name recognition, so he could literally start his own Youtube channel tomorrow and get hundreds of thousands of subscribers in a few days.

Nov 7, 2023, 12:33
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 12:33
Nov 7, 2023, 12:33

dscarron wrote on Nov 7, 2023, 09:52:
But Epic isn't even trying to do anything but throw money at the issue.

You are totally correct. It isn't like Epic is doing other things like building a world class game engine with UE5.3 using industry leading techniques such as nanite and lumen, or run one of the most played third person shooter of all times with Fortnite, or develop technology for in-camera CG that was used in Mandalorian and other projects.

Nov 7, 2023, 12:11
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 12:11
Nov 7, 2023, 12:11

WannaLogAlready wrote on Nov 7, 2023, 05:41:
Can't believe the amount of no clue monopoly fanboys that dumbly wish Epic gone .

Yes, let's have just one uber dominant store and trust in it's capitalistic heart that it won't ever screw us with no competition to rein it in.

Again, for me personally at least, I do not want Epic gone, I just wish they were better.
Rimmer: “Step up to Red Alert.”
Kryten: “Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.”

ALSO: https://www.stopkillinggames.com/

Nov 7, 2023, 11:08
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 11:08
Nov 7, 2023, 11:08

WannaLogAlready wrote on Nov 7, 2023, 10:32:
Sure, Epic wants to be top dog, what's new ?
BUT, while doing their thing, they are giving money to publishers/devs, and games galore to millions of gamers all over the world that couldn't buy them.

I just wish they would give some of that money to UI and UX designers at the same time.

Nov 7, 2023, 10:32
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 10:32
Nov 7, 2023, 10:32

Sigh, again.

Sure, Epic wants to be top dog, what's new ?
BUT, while doing their thing, they are giving money to publishers/devs, and games galore to millions of gamers all over the world that couldn't buy them.

The effect is more games for us, more newbies or casuals introduced to the hobby.
And yes, competition is the basis of a pro-free market, any doubts?

Will the EGS fail ? Hope not, I respect their trying to gain a foothold against a behemoth like Steam (with a stellar service, undeniable), *and* Apple *and* Google.
Crazy cojones right there.

Nov 7, 2023, 09:52
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 09:52
Nov 7, 2023, 09:52

To be clear, Epic isn't seeking neither "pro-democracy, pro-free market"; they are seeking to dominate the field and charge everyone else like feudal serfs. (See "enshittification" https://www.wired.com/story/tiktok-platforms-cory-doctorow/)

No, that doesn't mean that Steam is terribly much better of a corporate overlord. But Epic isn't even trying to do anything but throw money at the issue.

"It's not that we are Epic fanboys. It's that we're pro-democracy, pro-free market fanboys. I guess I have to keep posting this by valued commenter Brym about Steam's dominant monopolistic position.

Nov 7, 2023, 09:51
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 09:51
Nov 7, 2023, 09:51

Sad to see Yahtzee go, but that and three minute reviews was all that I really did on that site anymore. Unfortunate that he doesn't own the rights to Zero Punctuation, so hopefully he can start up something similar elsewhere.

Nov 7, 2023, 07:25
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 07:25
Nov 7, 2023, 07:25

Interesting that there was an exodus now. I always expected it when it turned out the owner at the time was also CEO of Milo Yiannopoulis' company and the one paying for him to go to college campuses and talk about how much he hated literally everyone, including himself!

Without seeing the drama, I'd imagine it's pretty bad.

Nov 7, 2023, 06:42
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 06:42
Nov 7, 2023, 06:42

Leahi84 wrote on Nov 7, 2023, 02:03:
Not surprised about Epic. I don't think their exclusives and all that is paying off. I wonder how long it will be till they throw in the towel. Can't believe the amount of Epic fanboys that defend them.
It's not that we are Epic fanboys. It's that we're pro-democracy, pro-free market fanboys. I guess I have to keep posting this by valued commenter Brym about Steam's dominant monopolistic position.

This is straying a bit far afield, but this caught my eye because I am a lawyer who sometimes handles antitrust cases. I've long thought that Valve has market power, and their MFN clause and some aspects of how Steamworks operates constitute abuses of that market power that could constitute violations of the Sherman/Clayton acts. Looks like the most recent update on the court case rejected Valve's move to dismiss the case, and found that the plaintiffs' allegations stated a cognizable claim. https://tinyurl.com/328shdxe

The existence of other competing storefronts doesn't mean Valve lacks market power. Microsoft was found to have market power in the 90s despite the existence of Apple and Linux (and other, lesser competitors). If you're sufficiently dominant, you can't use restrictive means to prevent other companies from undercutting your prices. That's exactly what Valve does. The MFN clause means that if another storefront wants to undercut them on price by charging a smaller cut (say 10-15% instead of 30%), they can't pass those savings on to consumers. This keeps prices to consumers higher, which is the #1 thing courts are looking for to find an antitrust violation.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Nov 7, 2023, 06:41
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 06:41
Nov 7, 2023, 06:41

WannaLogAlready wrote on Nov 7, 2023, 05:41:
Can't believe the amount of no clue monopoly fanboys that dumbly wish Epic gone .

Yes, let's have just one uber dominant store and trust in it's capitalistic heart that it won't ever screw us with no competition to rein it in.

Deserves repeating.

Nov 7, 2023, 05:41
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 05:41
Nov 7, 2023, 05:41

Nov 7, 2023, 05:25
Re: Biz Buzz Nov 7, 2023, 05:25
Nov 7, 2023, 05:25

Well, time to unsubscribe from the escapist YouTube channel.

There was a time The Escapist website was great. Bunch of articles, commentary, industry insights, even had forum badges to enhance participation on other parts of the website. Once Stirling left ages ago I gave up on the site except for Yatzee. When the website became barren I only followed yatzee on YouTube. Now I’ll just wait and see what he does and possibly follow him there.

The time The escapist mattered is now long, long over.
Rimmer: “Step up to Red Alert.”
Kryten: “Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.”

ALSO: https://www.stopkillinggames.com/
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older