Into the Black

Last Link of the Day: Mark Wahlberg regrets skipping college, sorority and fraternity life, after visiting daughter’s campus. Does he know college is wicked hard?
View : : :
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: ItB: Pissah
Oct 15, 2023, 13:31
Ant

Re: ItB: Pissah Oct 15, 2023, 13:31
Oct 15, 2023, 13:31
 Ant

For me, socializing with people while living on campus. Also, online gaming.

Oct 11, 2023, 00:33
Re: ItB: Pissah Oct 11, 2023, 00:33
Oct 11, 2023, 00:33

I thought I learned a lot in college...

I really loaded up on the general education in addition to my computer science major and required intro stuff

U.S. history for 2 semesters
Russian history for 2
European history for 1
Anthropology for 2 (One Latin America focused, another Native American focused)
Film history/crit for 4 (general, noir, horror, soderbergh)
Religion for 2 (Judaism, Islam)
Art history and crit for 2

My majors definitely taught me how to program and gave me a great base of history and low level computer science understanding.
While I don't always need to know how a memory pointer works, it is something that lends to a richer understanding of relevant things.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2023, 23:46.

Oct 10, 2023, 17:16
Re: ItB: Pissah Oct 10, 2023, 17:16
Oct 10, 2023, 17:16

The Flying Penguin wrote on Oct 10, 2023, 10:19:
I wouldn't say college is irrelevant, but a lot depends on your career goals. I dropped out of college after a year and a half (1980) because: A) Some of the courses were idiotic. I was majoring in electronics engineering, and because my high school was very progressive and I was deep into electronics as a hobbyist already, I knew 99% of the shit that was required courses. The ultimate insult was a slide rule class I had to pay for, but all they did was have us bring our scientific calculators and show us how to do things I already knew how to do. Oh gee, press the SINE button for a sine. I actually would have preferred learning how to use a slip stick. B) Six months into college I got a job as a stage hand/sound engineer and had to switch to night classes, and eventually I was making money hand over fist and didn't see the point continuing with it.

That said, I do miss not having a full college education. I have even toyed with going back for my degree even this late in life. There is a certain amount of critical thinking you're taught in college that is of benefit in later life. I like to think I made up for that by being well read. College is also where you're exposed to fields you may not normally have any interest in. I never considered the required psychology courses a waste of time. Also, courses in writing were very useful. I have spent a considerable amount of my business life having to write business letters, reports, operating manuals, and proposals. The number of people I have come across in my life who were incapable of even writing a business letter blows my mind.
The biggest skill i learned in college was how to write. I do have vivid memories of some of my classes like music where I learned how to use mixers, multi tracks, etc., political polling where I learned about bias, sample size, etc., art history, philosophy and religion, computer programming, chemistry, etc. I think it was quite enriching and useful.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Oct 10, 2023, 12:51
Re: ItB: Pissah Oct 10, 2023, 12:51
Oct 10, 2023, 12:51

Beamer wrote on Oct 10, 2023, 10:28:
My wife frequently complains that much of what she learned in elementary school was useless. "Who ever needs geometry?" She's a smart woman, so the anti-intellectualism of it kind of drives me nuts.

It isn't necessarily what you're learning, but learning to think, learning to solve problems, learning to apply information to problems, etc.
I always assumed we hit little kids with some advanced science and math early so we can identify the future scientists and mathematicians and get them on the right tracks.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Did no one get the Boston Accent joke?
Oct 10, 2023, 12:32
Did no one get the Boston Accent joke? Oct 10, 2023, 12:32
Oct 10, 2023, 12:32

Wikkit haaht!

And if you'll excuse me, the meter has run out, so I need to re-paaahk ma caaah.
NULL POINTER ERROR

Oct 10, 2023, 10:28
Re: ItB: Pissah Oct 10, 2023, 10:28
Oct 10, 2023, 10:28

My wife frequently complains that much of what she learned in elementary school was useless. "Who ever needs geometry?" She's a smart woman, so the anti-intellectualism of it kind of drives me nuts.

It isn't necessarily what you're learning, but learning to think, learning to solve problems, learning to apply information to problems, etc.

Oct 10, 2023, 10:19
Re: ItB: Pissah Oct 10, 2023, 10:19
Oct 10, 2023, 10:19

I wouldn't say college is irrelevant, but a lot depends on your career goals. I dropped out of college after a year and a half (1980) because: A) Some of the courses were idiotic. I was majoring in electronics engineering, and because my high school was very progressive and I was deep into electronics as a hobbyist already, I knew 99% of the shit that was required courses. The ultimate insult was a slide rule class I had to pay for, but all they did was have us bring our scientific calculators and show us how to do things I already knew how to do. Oh gee, press the SINE button for a sine. I actually would have preferred learning how to use a slip stick. B) Six months into college I got a job as a stage hand/sound engineer and had to switch to night classes, and eventually I was making money hand over fist and didn't see the point continuing with it.

That said, I do miss not having a full college education. I have even toyed with going back for my degree even this late in life. There is a certain amount of critical thinking you're taught in college that is of benefit in later life. I like to think I made up for that by being well read. College is also where you're exposed to fields you may not normally have any interest in. I never considered the required psychology courses a waste of time. Also, courses in writing were very useful. I have spent a considerable amount of my business life having to write business letters, reports, operating manuals, and proposals. The number of people I have come across in my life who were incapable of even writing a business letter blows my mind.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Oct 10, 2023, 09:32
Prez

Re: ItB: Pissah Oct 10, 2023, 09:32
Oct 10, 2023, 09:32
 Prez

Well it's a good thing that he became an actor instead, otherwise he couldn't have brought his brilliance to the cinematic masterpieces "The Happening" and "Transformers 4".
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Oct 10, 2023, 09:16
Re: ItB: Pissah Oct 10, 2023, 09:16
Oct 10, 2023, 09:16

Teemeister wrote on Oct 10, 2023, 02:02:
The same applies to high school/grammar school here in Europe. 85 percent of what you must learn is mostly useless.
Well... in grammar school you are actually learning basic math and language rules. That is not useless. Also, grammar and HS in my mind is as much about learning social skills (how to interact with people outside your family) as much as the actual topics. This is one of the reasons I think home schooling isn't a great idea. Kids need that social interaction to develop "normally". (whatever they hell is normal these days)
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Oct 10, 2023, 06:27
Re: ItB: Pissah Oct 10, 2023, 06:27
Oct 10, 2023, 06:27

Who?

Oct 10, 2023, 02:02
Re: ItB: Pissah Oct 10, 2023, 02:02
Oct 10, 2023, 02:02

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 9, 2023, 22:40:
The hardest thing about college for most is putting up with the bullshit. In fact, more than anything else, I have always considered a bachelor's degree as documented proof you can push through the bullshit when you have to. Other than very basic skills, you rarely learn anything in college you need to know for a real world job. I mean, if you are going to be a physicist or something like that, than yeah it is much more relevant. But I lost count a long time ago of the number of people who told me their successful careers were helped in no measurable way by what they learned in college.
The same applies to high school/grammar school here in Europe. 85 percent of what you must learn is mostly useless.

Oct 10, 2023, 00:36
Re: ItB: Pissah Oct 10, 2023, 00:36
Oct 10, 2023, 00:36

Mark Wahlberg, fuck that racist bastard.

Oct 9, 2023, 22:40
Re: ItB: Pissah Oct 9, 2023, 22:40
Oct 9, 2023, 22:40

The hardest thing about college for most is putting up with the bullshit. In fact, more than anything else, I have always considered a bachelor's degree as documented proof you can push through the bullshit when you have to. Other than very basic skills, you rarely learn anything in college you need to know for a real world job. I mean, if you are going to be a physicist or something like that, than yeah it is much more relevant. But I lost count a long time ago of the number of people who told me their successful careers were helped in no measurable way by what they learned in college.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Oct 9, 2023, 22:08
Re: ItB: Pissah Oct 9, 2023, 22:08
Oct 9, 2023, 22:08

Seems to have done okay for himself.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older