16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Game Reviews
Sep 24, 2023, 23:31
Re: Game Reviews Sep 24, 2023, 23:31
Sep 24, 2023, 23:31

RogueSix wrote on Sep 23, 2023, 14:02:
Fion wrote on Sep 23, 2023, 12:36:
An online friend of mine... A fast travel simulator with zero choices to make, where every boring quest has one route to completion and it's always the boring route

Sorry but you may want to consider removing that friend from your list of credible sources Wink . Sounds like one of those guys who went into Starfield wanting to hate it and played five minutes only to confirm his biased opinion.

Starfield has many faults but one should criticize it for things that are actually true. "Zero choices" is factually bullshit. As I said before, the UCSysDef quest line alone is full of choices and consequences. The main story has several junctions with choices and consequences. Many of the side missions have choices & consequences and/or optional mission objectives that can alter an outcome.

Shitting on the game is fine. I did my part in that longer post below. But let's shit on the game for things that are actually true.
The quests are actually the only thing that keep me going because many of them are pretty well done. Not ALL of them, of course. You have to find the good content but there is plenty of it. You have to play longer than five minutes to get there and it helps when you do not play the game with the preconceived notion to hate it, no matter what.

No, that friend is right, there really isn't any choices, and what are there are pretty meaningless. For example there's one mission where you can either agree to help this one guy take down the guy you're both working for, and whether you are for it or not changes absolutely nothing at the end of the quest. There is one choice at the end, which is completely independent from the previous one, and only determines whether your would-be partner is happy with you or not afterwards.

I'm level 45 right now and haven't seen any big notable branching paths or consequences at all-Which is par for the course with Bethesda games.

The game is fun, but the more you play it, the more it's clear that it's full of systems that look cool at first, but are full of glaring flaws and omissions the more you try to utilized them: For example:

1. Outposts don't have any real value outside of XP, and are overly complicated, with cargo links that bug out during supply missions and a resource/storage routing feature that is both overly complicated while also not giving you the level of control you need to actually take advantage of it. There's no real reason to get into manufacturing higher level items anyways because their sell value and the time required to produce them is crap compared to just selling the raw resources. You also can't even easily store your resources at outposts and access them from your ship for easy crafting and research, while sharing them with all your outposts, like you could in FO4.

2. The ship builder is fun, but most of the modules you can walk around in are just fluff. All you really use 99.9% of the time are the workshops, research labs and a bed (if you care about the XP boost), and that can be fulfilled with like, 2-3 modules, out of 14. The rest are only necessary for increasing crew count or carrying passengers.

There's a brig, but you can't arrest people and bring them in for bounty, so it's useless. There's an armory where you can display guns you own, but every time you make any changes to your ship, even if it doesn't touch that section, it will remove all the guns from their displays and put it into the ship's cargo. This also means you can't decorate your ship with loot either-unless you're fine with never ever upgrading your ship, which is highly doubtful.

Sure, you can make some cool, big ships, but there's no real reason to hang around your ship in space anyways, so why bother? Plus big ships don't really fit into the game's ship combat, which requires you to have a fast, quick turning craft that acts more like a fighter, even though it is literally the size of a frigate. If you try to make a bigger ship that relies more on defense and turrets, you're gonna have a REALLY bad time on the higher difficulties, because you're invariably alone, and enemy ships can just sit there and pound you so hard you feel like you're in a cameo on the casting couch.

And if you are ambushed by say, a bounty hunter in space, no big deal, just open your map, click on a destination and instantly fast travel away. Want to mind thousands of units at Planet X and then travel to Planet Y several star systems over? You don't even need to fly your ship there, just fast travel straight to the surface. So easy! Pirates hate this one trick! It's laughable how easy it is to get away and how little consequence and decision making they want their players to do.

3. The perk system is filled with perks that clearly only exist to pad out the number. Want to sneak and know if you're hidden or not? You need level one in sneaking for that. Want to strafe in space combat? You need a perk for that (This is also something the game doesn't explain, so I didn't even know you could strafe in space, because you have to hold down a separate key to do so. Why such a basic ability wasn't available from the start is really dumb.) Want to run and slide on the ground? Yep. Need a perk. And that's not counting the perks that are just boring %stat increases to damage or health.

There's also the perks that only exist for the sake of making other perks less grindy. Like the research perk that reduces the amount of resources used when researching projects that unlock new crafting recipes, gun mods, etc. Once you're done researching those projects, that perk serves absolutely no purpose or provides you with any benefit. It's just...there.

4. Then there's the many other things that allude to the game being rushed out with things cut from it. There's one main NPC that will ask you if you have anymore books for her, and after a discussion with her and her dad, it's clear that there was going to be a sidequest to collect and bring back books for her.

Someone also figured out that solar systems are actually completely travellable from one end to the other, the game just doesn't automatically stream in the new assets when you get closer to a distant planet. (you have to trigger it with a save/reload). Just another game mechanic that was cut for boring fast travel.

They made a lot of talk about how they held the game back to fix the bugs, when in reality, they really needed to hold the game back to make it a better game. The 7/10 score is looking more and more understandable the more I play it.

Sep 23, 2023, 14:02
Re: Game Reviews Sep 23, 2023, 14:02
Sep 23, 2023, 14:02

Fion wrote on Sep 23, 2023, 12:36:
An online friend of mine... A fast travel simulator with zero choices to make, where every boring quest has one route to completion and it's always the boring route

Sorry but you may want to consider removing that friend from your list of credible sources Wink . Sounds like one of those guys who went into Starfield wanting to hate it and played five minutes only to confirm his biased opinion.

Starfield has many faults but one should criticize it for things that are actually true. "Zero choices" is factually bullshit. As I said before, the UCSysDef quest line alone is full of choices and consequences. The main story has several junctions with choices and consequences. Many of the side missions have choices & consequences and/or optional mission objectives that can alter an outcome.

Shitting on the game is fine. I did my part in that longer post below. But let's shit on the game for things that are actually true.
The quests are actually the only thing that keep me going because many of them are pretty well done. Not ALL of them, of course. You have to find the good content but there is plenty of it. You have to play longer than five minutes to get there and it helps when you do not play the game with the preconceived notion to hate it, no matter what.
Threadcrapper Extraordinaire

Sep 23, 2023, 12:36
Re: Game Reviews Sep 23, 2023, 12:36
Sep 23, 2023, 12:36

An online friend of mine with very similar tastes told my gaming group that if you haven't already bought it, don't. It's not 'Fallout in Space', it's a themepark ride with zero real exploration and copy-pasted content over and over again. A fast travel simulator with zero choices to make, where every boring quest has one route to completion and it's always the boring route. Like many of us the last game he played was BG3, which has phenomenal writing so going from that to Starfield was incredibly jarring to him.

I knew the moment he stated that in discord, that I'll be waiting for the 'special edition' to come out at half price in a year or so, when there are dozens of great mods that actually make the game worth experiencing.

Sep 23, 2023, 11:24
Re: Game Reviews Sep 23, 2023, 11:24
Sep 23, 2023, 11:24

Saboth wrote on Sep 22, 2023, 20:42:
but the desire to keep playing just isn't there.

When a game doesn't grab you like that, it's not a great game.

Sep 23, 2023, 03:36
Re: Game Reviews Sep 23, 2023, 03:36
Sep 23, 2023, 03:36

Having read the comments Starfield in its current state and form has written “mod me” all over it. Okay. I’ll give it a couple of years to mature-

Sep 22, 2023, 22:16
Re: Game Reviews Sep 22, 2023, 22:16
Sep 22, 2023, 22:16

Saboth wrote on Sep 22, 2023, 20:42:
There's no hook, no addiction right off the bat.

Right off the bat, there isn't, that's true. However, once you get into some of the quest lines like the UCSysDef where you need to infiltrate the Crimson Fleet then things might look different.

I have definitely had a few "just one more mission" all-nighters because the actual content, if you look past all the bullshit design mistakes, can actually be quite addictive and engaging. You just need to find the "right" content (for you) to get rolling like that...

Sep 22, 2023, 20:42
Re: Game Reviews Sep 22, 2023, 20:42
Sep 22, 2023, 20:42

I'll try Starfield again some time later. I just can't get interested in it at all. Everything feels like a hassle, like a game I've played dozens of times before, but the desire to keep playing just isn't there. There's no hook, no addiction right off the bat.

Sep 22, 2023, 20:14
Re: Game Reviews Sep 22, 2023, 20:14
Sep 22, 2023, 20:14

Starfield is definitely a love/hate affair for me. I have also given it a negative review on Steam because of the huge amount of questionable design decisions/omissions.

I actually like most of the quests and the content so far. The UCSysDef quest line was really cool with lots of choices & consequences. And some of the individual quests are pretty good, too. I even like the main quest up to now. I'm near the end (I think) and have to grab the last artifact and the last couple of powers.

But there is a long ass list of bullshit:

- nVidia performance is ass thanks to the AMD sponsorship, no DLSS (yeah, I know it's coming), no RT and very mediocre graphics for a 2023 game. Kudos for stability though. I have had zero crashes in 60 hours.
- No FoV slider in a 2023 game = lol (yes, I know it's coming).
- The crafting is so convoluted that I have not even been motivated to take a closer look. I have done some research lab stuff but to really craft anything (mods etc.), you apparently have to level up the science skills which I have not had any skill points for yet.
- The ship builder is even worse. Most daunting building interface ever. I'm not even going to touch that. Just fuck off. I want to play the game and not watch hours of YT tutorials before I can make sense of that shitshow.
- The inventory and shop/container interface is also garbage once again. I can live with the carrying limit but otherwise it is a clusterfuck (in that regard Starfield and BG3 are equally worse). You kind of get used to it after a while but It's still less than ideal and the longer I play, the more it sucks that stores have limited money. I have to constantly switch between Neon and New Atlantis to sell shit.
Besides, how does it make sense to have containers with unlimited storage (lodge basement) while also having ship cargo and other personal containers with limited storage? And why can't the crafting stations pull from *any* inventory for convenience? Sheesh...
- The travel interface (star map) is also pretty fucked up. It is tedious as hell if you want to travel to a place where you have no active mission. Good luck finding a place just by name.
- No (optional) local (city) maps and no other elegant solution like symbols for shops or facilities showing in the HUD, at least when you turn on the scanner.
- Loot/items are also poorly done. There is no clear hierarchy. Legendary item stats are all over the place and sometimes worse than regular or rare items. It's just tedious to have to sift through it all instead of being able to tell at a glance which items are keepers or not. It doesn't help that there are a bazillion different ammo types. Yawn.
- The lockpicking game gets old fast and leveling up the skill should provide more help than just the blue rings to get through it faster. I have maxed out the skill but what is the point if you need to consume one additional digipick for auto-resolve? That's always two digipicks per lock. So I just save scum the whole thing to only spend a single digipick.
- Flying the ship and ship combat with mouse and keyboard is poorly done. The gold standard for mouse+keyboard space flying/combat at this point in time is probably EverSpace 2. Starfield feels clunky and dated as fuck compared to ES2.
- I'm definitely not a fan of the random affliction "mini-game". It just adds a tedious and unnecessary layer to the game. It would have been fine with me to have a wound system for combat damage or something but the whole crap with infections, burns, freezes, whatever is just lame.
- No way (that I could see) to remap the mouse wheel to scroll through the weapons. Instead it seems to be fixed to zoom in and out of 1st/3rd person (a useless function for me since I'm always in 1st person). Switching weapons becomes a tedium because of this as you either have to bring up the wheel and quickly identify which item is which or you have to remember which number key you mapped a certain weapon to.
- Quite a few of the skill challenges are pretty lame and they force you into an "unnatural" or even grindy playstyle.

And the list goes on and on... there are simply too many poorly designed systems in the game to really call it a good game. I would also rate it at 6/10 or something like that.

I'm honestly no longer really interested in TES VI. It is pretty clear that Bethesda are stuck in their autistic design bubble. They obviously do not care if/what/how other games do things better. They are not interested in employing things that can rightfully be considered industry standards by now.

It's almost like they go out of their way to find the crappiest possible solution just to do shit differently from the rest of the world in some regards.

TES VI is a hard pass until the GOTY is available on sale a couple of years after release. I just can not take this mediocrity anymore...

Sep 22, 2023, 19:15
Prez

Re: Game Reviews Sep 22, 2023, 19:15
Sep 22, 2023, 19:15
 Prez

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 22, 2023, 17:18:
The thing is, Starfield is a clear example of a game that promises much and then you explore it, and by NG2+ you realize that this is actually a pretty badly designed game but it is hiding it well. Outposts for example are entirely useless, and nearly outright a noob trap where all you invest is time, but you never get anything from it. Crafting is, flat out non-existent, as you no longer can craft weapons nor armor. A clear step back from Skyrim. Enemy AI is improved but companions, exploration, roleplaying are absurd low quality. There is fun to be had, and if you are not in NG++ (adn thus has seen through the facade) then you will like it still.

Heck, I liked it for 140 hours But I gave it ultimately a thumbs down, because only at around 120 hours in I realized how absurdly lackluster some of the systems are. But all of this obviously pales in comparison to it's potential... when mods can actually add locations, ships, events. This game is legit a modders dream come through in many regards, but right now it is... at best mid. 6/10

And compared to BG3 or Armored Core 6 it is downright insultingly average.

If it took you 120 hours to decide it was a bad game that means it was good enough for a long time in my view. You don't get that kind of time in most other distractions, good or bad. At least that's the way I see it.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 22, 2023, 17:39
Re: Game Reviews Sep 22, 2023, 17:39
Sep 22, 2023, 17:39

It's kind of embarrassing how bad Starfield is given how much money Bethesda has.
Baldur's Gate 3 plays better and looks better and Larian has nowhere near that kind of money.

Bummer about Payday 3, maybe it'll be good in a couple months/years.

Sep 22, 2023, 17:18
Re: Game Reviews Sep 22, 2023, 17:18
Sep 22, 2023, 17:18

The thing is, Starfield is a clear example of a game that promises much and then you explore it, and by NG2+ you realize that this is actually a pretty badly designed game but it is hiding it well. Outposts for example are entirely useless, and nearly outright a noob trap where all you invest is time, but you never get anything from it. Crafting is, flat out non-existent, as you no longer can craft weapons nor armor. A clear step back from Skyrim. Enemy AI is improved but companions, exploration, roleplaying are absurd low quality. There is fun to be had, and if you are not in NG++ (adn thus has seen through the facade) then you will like it still.

Heck, I liked it for 140 hours But I gave it ultimately a thumbs down, because only at around 120 hours in I realized how absurdly lackluster some of the systems are. But all of this obviously pales in comparison to it's potential... when mods can actually add locations, ships, events. This game is legit a modders dream come through in many regards, but right now it is... at best mid. 6/10

And compared to BG3 or Armored Core 6 it is downright insultingly average.

Sep 22, 2023, 16:05
Re: Game Reviews Sep 22, 2023, 16:05
Sep 22, 2023, 16:05

Will surely go up in time with add-ons and mods.

But certainly an increasing consensus for now that for many it isn't as good as expected/hyped.

Much barren landscape outside, much useless junk inside, etc.
And the art seems lacking to me.
Even the robot friend is an unnecessarily ugly misshapen ... thing, instead of a nice to see companion.
Like bonding or caring for a moving fridge.

"meanwhile, the people playing and enjoying starfield... don't care... LOL"
Yep, and the people that played or are playing it, and didn't enjoy are warning prospective buyers with their negative vote, that's the function of scoring, lol ?

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2023, 16:27.

Sep 22, 2023, 15:28
NKD
Re: Game Reviews Sep 22, 2023, 15:28
Sep 22, 2023, 15:28
NKD

Jim wrote on Sep 22, 2023, 12:53:
Starfield’s Steam rating has dropped below Fallout 76.

meanwhile, the people playing and enjoying starfield... don't care... LOL

Well yeah, of course they don't care. Reviews are for people who haven't purchased yet. They aren't much use to someone who has already purchased and is playing the game. Unless they have some emotional stake in the review scores of the game I guess, which is a mental health problem.
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Sep 22, 2023, 13:30
Prez

Re: Game Reviews Sep 22, 2023, 13:30
Sep 22, 2023, 13:30
 Prez

False comparison considering that Fallout 76 used to have abysmal reviews and slowly improved over time.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 22, 2023, 13:21
Re: Game Reviews Sep 22, 2023, 13:21
Sep 22, 2023, 13:21

some of the negative reviews are a bit weird. Par for the course on steam reviews.

Im finding it fun, others will not. Plenty other games out there.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Sep 22, 2023, 12:53
Jim
Re: Game Reviews Sep 22, 2023, 12:53
Sep 22, 2023, 12:53
Jim

Starfield’s Steam rating has dropped below Fallout 76.

meanwhile, the people playing and enjoying starfield... don't care... LOL
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older