Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord Early Access

Early Access to Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is now available for Windows on GOG.com* and Steam. If the title is familiar, you have a good memory, as it was the first installment in the Wizardry series of first-person dungeon crawlers from 1981. This is a modernized revival that's said to be built "directly on top" of the original Apple II source code for an authentic experience. The Early Access Launch Trailer shows the modernized version with new graphics and familiar gameplay. Word is: "While the remake may look all new, the complete Apple II game is under the hood -- you can even view the original interface while you're playing." Here's more:
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord has been under development for nearly two years by a small but dedicated team at Digital Eclipse, a studio known for historical preservation of classic games such as The Making of Karateka and Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration.

With the core game fully playable and several quality-of-life improvements already implemented (including one-button combat selection and streamlined party management), the team is now bringing it to Early Access to solicit feedback from fans of the long-running Wizardry series as well as modern RPG players.
*Blue's News may receive a commission on sales of this item.
View : : :

Re: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord Early Access
Sep 18, 2023, 13:46
Re: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord Early Access Sep 18, 2023, 13:46
Sep 18, 2023, 13:46

Orogogus wrote on Sep 18, 2023, 11:41:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 18, 2023, 10:43:
I own quite a few of these myself, with this Wizardry game the one thing that turns me off is the pop-up enimies on top of what looks like always the same background. That yells mobile game to me.
That design element is a lot older than mobile gaming. The original 1981 game (originally written in Pascal) is an overlay option for this remake, so it's definitely not a mobile thing here. It's just how dungeon crawlers were for 7 Wizardries, 3 Bard's Tales and 2 Might & Magics. I think Dungeon Master in 1987 was the first crawler where monsters were on the map, but it didn't become standardized until Might & Magic 3 and Eye of the Beholder, both in 1991. Wizardry 7 in 1992 was probably the last major game with random encounters out of nowhere, except for games from Japanese developers, who seem to have really liked the old formula.

You are correct, but when I see it in 2023 I think mobile trash.
Date
Subject
Author
Sep 18, 2023Sep 18 2023
  Re: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord Early Access