Starfield Officially Launches

Many gamers interested in Starfield are playing it already thanks to Early Access via the Premium Edition, but today is the official release date for Bethesda's sci-fi RPG. As noted on the Bethesda Website: "In this next generation role-playing game set amongst the stars, create any character you want and explore with unparalleled freedom as you embark on an epic journey to answer humanity’s greatest mystery." Here's the official description of the game:
Starfield is the first new universe in over 25 years from Bethesda Game Studios, the award-winning creators of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Fallout 4. In this next generation role-playing game set amongst the stars, create any character you want and explore with unparalleled freedom as you embark on an epic journey to answer humanity’s greatest mystery.

In the year 2330, humanity has ventured beyond our solar system, settling new planets, and living as a spacefaring people. You will join Constellation – the last group of space explorers seeking rare artifacts throughout the galaxy – and navigate the vast expanse of space in Bethesda Game Studios’ biggest and most ambitious game.
View : : :
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Starfield Officially Launches
Sep 10, 2023, 21:26
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 10, 2023, 21:26
Sep 10, 2023, 21:26

ZeroPike1 wrote on Sep 8, 2023, 11:44:
Space flight is remarkably similar.

And then goes on to list all the reasons why it's worse. LMAO
Doing my work for me, bless you.

But for space combat Starfield is way better then NMS.

Lol, you point at your ship and shoot, that's it. Everything controls like a WW2 plane because BGS doesn't understand space physics. But to be fair NMS commits the same sin, and both are pretty lackluster in combat, but at least NMS doesn't chug even in space and has much more interesting settings for combat, like fighing in planetary rings, low atmosphere or asteroids.

And you can at least customize your ship.

You can customize your ship in NMS lol

NMS had the scanner on the vehicle which would ping which type of content you wanted to do.

So, it's objectively better, what's your point here?

it was always some tiny place with nothing going on in it except containers to loot and the stupid Sentinels spawning.

Sounds like you never explored past the first system.

In Starfield I can find a unique planetary feature, explore some caves, tackle some pirates, etc. So, so much more interesting then NMS.

Oh yes, empty caves that have nothing in them but some minerals and are worse that Skyrim's somehow. Or planetary features like....rock piles, or craters. Wow. Fascinating.

IMultiplayer? what's that?

A feature that BGS can't bother to implement in their games unless they can find a way to make people subscribe to it. 🤣

Runs at a solid 90 fps on ultra with everything in 1440p on my system. Not sure where you get your information but it is flawed a tad.

The only way you have FPS like that is if you have a 4090 and are using fake frames to padd your numbers. Starfield's poor optimization is well known at this point, even on higher cards. The game doesn't even look that good for how shite it runs.

Sep 8, 2023, 11:44
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 8, 2023, 11:44
Sep 8, 2023, 11:44

Razumen wrote on Sep 8, 2023, 03:34:
ZeroPike1 wrote on Sep 8, 2023, 01:45:
NobleAtreides wrote on Sep 7, 2023, 15:18:
May I ask this question? How does this game compare to say No Man's Sky, which was a very talked about title since its release.
note: I know not much about either game, and will not be playing either. But I am happy that this game found audience members that are having a good experience with their invested time involved.

As somebody with 100 hours into No Mans Sky. I would say Starfield is kind of like No Man's Sky but with a coherent plot, and actual RPG elements.
But worse space flight, exploration, no multiplayer, and unlike NMS, will run like shit on your PC no matter the specs.

Arguably not. Space flight is remarkably similar. Yeah, no direct flying around a planet in atmosphere, and no direct space to ground landing. But for space combat Starfield is way better then NMS. And you can at least customize your ship. NMS was about hoping RNG has an NPC around with a Ship you liked the look of then buying it from them. Ugh.

Exploration, no way. NMS had the scanner on the vehicle which would ping which type of content you wanted to do. Alien ruins, settlement ruins, trading post, etc. And visiting them it was always some tiny place with nothing going on in it except containers to loot and the stupid Sentinels spawning. In Starfield I can find a unique planetary feature, explore some caves, tackle some pirates, etc. So, so much more interesting then NMS.

Multiplayer? what's that?

Runs at a solid 90 fps on ultra with everything in 1440p on my system. Not sure where you get your information but it is flawed a tad.
Rimmer: “Step up to Red Alert.”
Kryten: “Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.”

Sep 8, 2023, 03:34
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 8, 2023, 03:34
Sep 8, 2023, 03:34

ZeroPike1 wrote on Sep 8, 2023, 01:45:
May I ask this question? How does this game compare to say No Man's Sky, which was a very talked about title since its release.
note: I know not much about either game, and will not be playing either. But I am happy that this game found audience members that are having a good experience with their invested time involved.

As somebody with 100 hours into No Mans Sky. I would say Starfield is kind of like No Man's Sky but with a coherent plot, and actual RPG elements.
But worse space flight, exploration, no multiplayer, and unlike NMS, will run like shit on your PC no matter the specs.

Sep 8, 2023, 01:45
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 8, 2023, 01:45
Sep 8, 2023, 01:45

Sep 7, 2023, 20:41
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 20:41
Sep 7, 2023, 20:41

1badmf wrote on Sep 6, 2023, 23:37:
ship building takes a pretty large bank roll anyway, so don't even bother until you're well into the game.
Definitely don't skip ship building, when I got to Atlantis, I had more than enough money to add more cargo to the starting ship along with the necessary engine and reactor upgrades. Still had something like 70,000 credits afterwards. And you WILL need cargo space in this game until you can find a good spot for you base, and those are not easy to find.

Sep 7, 2023, 15:18
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 15:18
Sep 7, 2023, 15:18

Sep 7, 2023, 12:52
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 12:52
Sep 7, 2023, 12:52

phinn wrote on Sep 7, 2023, 10:01:
My big issue with Starfield and why I'm passing on it for now is how disjointed it looks. I love the Bethesda open world format of their classics (Morrowind, NV, Oblivion, FO4, Skyrim). 20+ years of massive single cohesive worlds. If you see something, you can explore and (after getting side-tracked 99x) make it there.

I look at Starfield videos see nothing but fast traveling from place to place. It makes the galaxy seem small in comparison. What's the point of a space ship if you just fast travel and watch a brief cutscene to get anywhere?

Disjointed? Yes, by design, in a space game with planets and landing zones. But small? Hell, no.

Sure, if you fast travel and beeline to every mission objective then it might seem that way (dunno how those streamers you watched actually played the game) but I'm sure previous Bethesda games would also seem small if you played them like that.

The individual locations, however, are actually pretty f'in huge. New Atlantis is huge, Cydonia (the colony on Mars) is huge and it has several floors/layers to explore. "Important" NPCs are named but they do not have floating exclamation marks above their heads or something like that so you never know who is worth talking to. You need to be pretty close to an NPC to bring up the UI popup to even tell if they are a named NPC.

You could literally spend several hours on fully exploring just the Martian colony alone. And then there are POIs outside of the colony, spread across the surface, some of which are pretty huge again just by themselves.
The space stations I have visited so far are also pretty big. It can easily take an hour+ to fully explore the Red Crimson base from top to bottom.

Honestly, you can rightfully and justifiably say a lot of bad things about Starfield but accusing it of a seemingly "small galaxy" is not a valid criticism. The scale is gargantuan.

By the way, the Red Crimson base is a good example for some notable incoherence regarding the loading zones. If you take the elevator in the base then there is a loading screen. But you can also take the long way around and seamlessly reach the same floor via some stairs without any loading screen whatsoever.
Threadcrapper Extraordinaire

Sep 7, 2023, 12:42
PHJF

Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 12:42
Sep 7, 2023, 12:42
 PHJF

Tom wrote on Sep 7, 2023, 11:46:

After dealing with slow travel through space in several other games, I'm totally fine with fast travel in Starfield. Space is vast. It gets real tedious covering vast distances via slow travel. The game seems to have enough time sinks without that too.

Except that unlike in skyrim it completely kneecaps exploration. Exploration in Starfield amounts to "which of these random planets do I want to click on?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Sep 7, 2023, 12:41
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 12:41
Sep 7, 2023, 12:41

I am 95 hours in, so far I have:

• Stolen a ship on a remote moon that belonged to a trader that was friendly to me because he didn't realize I just stole his ship.

• Put up a kids drawn posters on a Mars base because they asked me to.

• Scanned fauna on a planet trying carefully not to scare it away only to have my bloodthirsty companion blow it away right next to me when they thought it might be a threat.

• I am now married to aforementioned bloodthirsty companion and hopefully she will not kill me too.

• Successfully negotiated a hostage situation at a bank gaining the trust of the bandits... and then I later killed their leader and most of their gang.

• Stolen an object directly in front of a governor and was immediately kidnapped by the UC and recruited as a mole to infiltrate a pirate group.

• Destroyed a ship full of kids and a teacher in space because they asked me for something and it annoyed me.

I've only done about 5 or 6 of the main story missions. I am so far off the beaten path right now I'm not even sure what I am doing anymore. I love this game

With a damaged Panzer still hunting 'The Haunted Tank' and Gus out of ammo, Jeb knew there was only one option, "Slim, RAM!"

Sep 7, 2023, 11:56
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 11:56
Sep 7, 2023, 11:56

I've been enjoying my time with it. I'm only 10 hours in, but I'm digging it. Then again, I played Skyrim to death and this is pretty much Skyrim In Space, and I'm okay with that. I love having a massive universe to explore, but I can definitely see where people have issues with it. It IS a Bethesda game, so jank is part of the package. I don't have the most powerful PC, but Starfield scales pretty well, actually, especially if you have an AMD-based machine.

Sep 7, 2023, 11:52
El Pit

Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 11:52
Sep 7, 2023, 11:52
 El Pit

Damn! I was so looking forward to playing this this weekend, then family business happened. Now I won't be playing this until next weekend.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Sep 7, 2023, 11:48
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 11:48
Sep 7, 2023, 11:48

I look at Starfield videos see nothing but fast traveling from place to place. It makes the galaxy seem small in comparison. What's the point of a space ship if you just fast travel and watch a brief cutscene to get anywhere?

Were you asking the same of every Mass Effect game? It's just a cool thing to have, man... You get most of the fun interactions, with way less monotony than an immersive space sim. It primarily serves as your mobile home base, but in Starfield you can completely customize it both inside and out. At least there is space combat, too, even if it is fairly basic, the complete absence of which was a major source of blue-balls with the entire ME series.

Sep 7, 2023, 11:46
Tom
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 11:46
Sep 7, 2023, 11:46
Tom

After dealing with slow travel through space in several other games, I'm totally fine with fast travel in Starfield. Space is vast. It gets real tedious covering vast distances via slow travel. The game seems to have enough time sinks without that too.

Sep 7, 2023, 11:00
PHJF

Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 11:00
Sep 7, 2023, 11:00
 PHJF

My big issue with Starfield and why I'm passing on it for now is how disjointed it looks. I love the Bethesda open world format of their classics (Morrowind, NV, Oblivion, FO4, Skyrim). 20+ years of massive single cohesive worlds. If you see something, you can explore and (after getting side-tracked 99x) make it there.

Baldur's Gate 3 is almost undoubtedly going GOTY.

This is my single biggest issue with the game (and it is a big one)
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Sep 7, 2023, 10:01
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 10:01
Sep 7, 2023, 10:01

Baldur's Gate 3 is almost undoubtedly going GOTY.

Sep 7, 2023, 09:47
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 09:47
Sep 7, 2023, 09:47

I'd feel a bit foolish to pay $70 for this homage to Bethesda's past. Larian did it right with BG3 ($60)--which looks and plays like it took six years to develop--unlike Starfield, which looks and plays like it took 2-3 years of serious development, tops. Whole code sections integrated from the Fallout and the Skyrim/Elder Scrolls games (character models, even!)--which neatly explains the use of the ancient, struggling game engine they resuscitated for the game. Not to mention the blatant copying from NMS, the Outer Worlds, etc.

Main thing Larian did correctly is to publish and develop the PC version separately from the console version! The PC version bears little resemblance to the D:OS games that came before, imo. In fact, when it comes to the X-Boxen, Larian says it doesn't know when they'll be able to ship an x-box version because Microsoft has a dumb rule that what runs on the more expensive X-box must also run on the El-Cheapo x-box model. You know, CDPR built its reputation and success with the Witcher games by developing on the PC, for the PC's far superior hardware environments, and then only later porting to consoles! They abandoned this for Punk '77 and had the most criticized launch in their history. Punk sold great in the pre-order stage because people mistakenly believed the quality would match or exceed their Witcher games. I skipped Punk, and will probably buy SF when it goes on sale and the modders have the time to do Bethesda's work for them. Basically, Skyrim without mods is not worth playing.

Sorry to be so negative, but it's disappointing. All the AAA games Howard had to look at during the 2-3 years of SF development--but even so, he could not see how to develop the game to live up to the hype. When Bethesda talks about the 10-25 years of code and IP development, it's merely talking about the stuff they borrowed from the games they were making 10-25 years ago, imo. The claim is literally true, but highly misleading. Worse, it looks very much like Bethesda had to seriously cut back everything to shoehorn the game into the X-Box, the primary target, sad to say.
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Sep 7, 2023, 09:20
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 09:20
Sep 7, 2023, 09:20

Prez wrote on Sep 7, 2023, 03:56:
Maybe I am just old and stopped being susceptible to hype a long time ago, or maybe I are smart 🤓, but... Is anyone really surprised with what they are saying about some of the trouble with Starfield? Bethesda has always been bad at optimizing their games. Unless this is your first Bethesda game none of what is being said should be a surprise at all. Some of us like the patented Bethesda jank 🙂 but it absolutely should not be a surprise to anyone. What impresses me is for how big it is they greatly reduced how broken the game is at launch. I still have months yet before I buy it I think but compared to what I am used to this is a big improvement to me. As far as the game goes, I like everything I have seen so far (aside from some of the stated performance issues of course). And what I want to change will be taken care of by mods. It will only continue to improve from here like every Bethesda game.

To be honest this is by far one of the most stable and not horrifically bug filled Bethesda games I ever got my hands on. They were not lying that it was the most bug free Bethesda game to date. Having said that however, I cannot wait for the first official patch, and a working community patch. I see places where the classic Bethesda jank is shining through. I would look forward to this game about a year after the creation tools are public. Should be a grand time to experience the game.

Sep 7, 2023, 09:05
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 09:05
Sep 7, 2023, 09:05

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 7, 2023, 04:44:
The space sim:
Its not a space sim. Its a light space combat game so far. Its got great visuals, being able to Hail other ships can be fun. Docking with ships can also be quite a hoot. The part of space combat that can be alot of fun is disabling an enemy ships engines, then boarding it to deal with its crew. Loot the ship decide to take it or not. If not hop back aboard your ship fly a bit away then turn and blow up the now empty ship for extra parts. Having your customized ship sitting in the space port waiting for you is kinda cool. Having Vasco the robot as crew he will stand guard outside the ship its a nice touch.

I've been hearing conflicting things about the space sim part, to me this would be the main draw of the game. Are there space/shooting missions or is it just random encounters or how does it work exactly?

Space in this game is fast travel based. You set your destination via the map. Hold X to travel. The game then loads you up in orbit around your chosen destination. Sometimes there are pirates, sometimes there are random encounters. Most of the time after you cleared it once, there is nothing. You choose where you want to land. Hold down R, or go to the star map again and choose a place to land there.

Right now I have trouble finding any trouble to get into in space. I struck up a deal with The Pirate faction, the UC faction and the Freestar factions to where I'm a neutral party. I do get into some scuffles in space, but its not often now. And yes, you will sometimes encounter random events while arriving at planets. For example I found A 200 year old Earth generational ship And today I ran across A ship full of dead cultists who suicided behind a traveling comet Some are small side stories with no connecting quests and some lead to full on side quests with branching outcomes.

You can pickup some space combat missions from quests or terminals which are randomized. You can pickup hostage rescue missions which require disabling engines and boarding. The space combat is not worth a separate joystick, not worth a HOTAS setup. Its not that deep at all. This is an RPG first Space sim not... or like I said only very light.

Sep 7, 2023, 05:02
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 05:02
Sep 7, 2023, 05:02

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 7, 2023, 04:44:
The space sim:
Its not a space sim. Its a light space combat game so far. Its got great visuals, being able to Hail other ships can be fun. Docking with ships can also be quite a hoot. The part of space combat that can be alot of fun is disabling an enemy ships engines, then boarding it to deal with its crew. Loot the ship decide to take it or not. If not hop back aboard your ship fly a bit away then turn and blow up the now empty ship for extra parts. Having your customized ship sitting in the space port waiting for you is kinda cool. Having Vasco the robot as crew he will stand guard outside the ship its a nice touch.

I've been hearing conflicting things about the space sim part, to me this would be the main draw of the game. Are there space/shooting missions or is it just random encounters or how does it work exactly?

there are bounty missions for enemy space captains. i'm sure there are also random encounters but i'm still on the starter ship so i'm avoiding space missions atm. what bugs me the most (that i haven't seen anyone else even mention) is that the game doesn't support flight sticks. m/kb and controller, but no hotas which for a spaceship game is borderline criminal.
but the space part is definitely not the focus of the game. pretty much all the story is played out on foot; even the space exploration part requires you to jump planetside for some hand scanning action. if that's your main appeal, i'd recommend one of the other space sims out there.

Sep 7, 2023, 04:44
Re: Starfield Officially Launches Sep 7, 2023, 04:44
Sep 7, 2023, 04:44

The space sim:

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older