New TRIBES 2 Beta Patch

The official Tribes 2 Central Download Site has released a beta 2 patch for TRIBES 2. This new patch contains a slew of gameplay fixes and improvements, as well as improved community features. Like the first patch, this is clearly marked as a beta, and is not supported by Sierra, so download at your own risk.
View : : :
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Why T2 sucks.
Jun 28, 2001, 11:27
anon@212.135
Re: Why T2 sucks. Jun 28, 2001, 11:27
Jun 28, 2001, 11:27
anon@212.135

Actually that's the trouble, they listened FAR too much to the Tribes 1 llamas. I can't believe you're complaining that the voice menu wasn't identical to the last one.

Sheesh. It's a new game. I think a large part of it stinks BECAUSE it's too damn close to the penultimately newbie-unfriendly Tribes 1.

At any rate, it's a commercial and community failure. Will Dynamix learn? Who knows, who cares. Let's just hope someone competant with decent gameplay ideas and a notion of what is fun picks up the gauntlet and creates a decent nexr-gen action multiplayer-only title.

Why T2 sucks.
Jun 28, 2001, 09:04
Why T2 sucks. Jun 28, 2001, 09:04
Jun 28, 2001, 09:04

Ok, I was, and still am to an extent an avid TRIBES player. From my point of view, and that of a few others that I play with, I think I have pegged what the real problems with how T2 turned out. In order to do that properly, I will tell you what we (the TRIBES players) wanted and expected of T2.

First off, we didn't ask for an entire re-write of the physics engine, we were pretty well happy with the way it was with a few exceptions. T2's jetpack movement is totaly borked from a TRIBES player's perspective. It is totaly counter intuitive to what it was in TRIBES. We expected a lot of kick ass vehicles, but NOT vehicles that required hours of practice just to learn how to not over-steer and crash into crap because we had to blink, or sneeze. Some of us do applaud the 'ski-caps' that were implemented, but that is another argument, for another time.

We wanted better team oriented options which to an extent we received, and the clan pages that you included were good. However, we did not ask for a totally different voice menu that now causes us to have to re-learn all new keystroke combos, most of which are now four keys as opposed to three... Why couldn't they have just kept the original and added new stuff to it? I for one miss being able to shout DAMNIT! or YOU IDIOT! without even having to think about it. Hell, they even took some non-politicaly correct things (like the aforementioned) out altogether.

We do love the new graphics except that most people have to turn them down pretty low to get a decent framerate. We have mixed feelings about the new 'terrain', though most of us are in favor of it. The worst parts of the game must be the netcode and the damn memory issues. I have 512MB in my home PC... 512!!! Yet, I still have those annoying &$$%! redjacks every so often.

Enemy number one for me (this is just my pet peeve), is the fact that you have to have the $^@* CD in to play LAN... Now I understand all about how they have to curb piracy, but does that mean I should pay double if I want to play with my 12 year old nephew, when he comes over to visit? Screw that!

So now that you have 'what a bunch of T1 players wanted/didn't want and expected how can anyone say that this ended up being a 'great' game? Yes we may be in the statistical egotistical minority, but we don't think so.
Lord BloodWolf

Consoles
Jun 28, 2001, 08:53
Consoles Jun 28, 2001, 08:53
Jun 28, 2001, 08:53

T2 is just a massive beta test for thier console ports, and we payed them to be in it.

www.o2tent.com
--
I like the Quake 3 Arena.

Re: There IS hope
Jun 28, 2001, 04:01
anon@212.135
Re: There IS hope Jun 28, 2001, 04:01
Jun 28, 2001, 04:01
anon@212.135

It strikes me that it can't all be Georgeson's fault. After all, did no one else in the entire history of the development of either Tribes 1 or Tribes 2 work out that all that jet packing momentum disc launching combat stuff just isn't fun?

We're legged animals and we know what's what on the ground. There's a reason T2 can't even draw the players of the aging Q3 and UT. It's just not fun. Then add all the other nasty issues and suddenly you have a game that you really have to be wired oddly to want to play.

What a disaster, we really NEEDED a new proper multiplayer game and Tribes 2 oh so clearly is not it.

Re: There IS hope
Jun 28, 2001, 03:40
anon@12.81
Re: There IS hope Jun 28, 2001, 03:40
Jun 28, 2001, 03:40
anon@12.81

Hey, I'd offer, Scotty, but I suspect I've burned that bridge for good

If I didn't make that clear in the beginning, I should have: we did have a plan in place, one that was rapidly shunted aside (much like the rest of the design team) once Georgeson arose to power.

Someday, I'll have to tell the story of how he fired Scott Rudi so he could become designer/producer/director of Tribes...

...but not today

Diamondback

There IS hope
Jun 28, 2001, 03:16
There IS hope Jun 28, 2001, 03:16
Jun 28, 2001, 03:16

Tribes 2 was NOT fucked before inception. Tribes 2 was supposed to be bigger / badder / better Tribes. At some point along the way the fire behind the team that was Tribes was lost. This was only exacerbated by the appearance of Dave Georgeson onto the Tribes 2 team. Is he responsible for some of the shit that happened to Tribes 2? Most definately yes. Is he responsible for all of it? No. Tribes 2 failed because it was too ambitious. It was too much of a re-write from Tribes 1. That and it had a self serving egomaniac bastard at the helm who wanted nothing more than to "make a name" for himself in the industry at the expense of the game and the team. Well.. he did it. And Kudos to that.

I'm saddened at the way Tribes 2 has ended up. The game has so much promise... someone who gives a shit needs to take the reigns away from Dave G and make the game into what it is supposed to be. Dave obviously doesn't know what that is... any takers?

CornBoy!

No subject
Jun 28, 2001, 02:13
No subject Jun 28, 2001, 02:13
Jun 28, 2001, 02:13

After listening to the 1 and 1/2 hour long radio interview with level designer Dave "Diamondback Meddish. I'm not sure there is any hope for T2.

Tribes 2 was f***ed before inception. and it all seems to point heavily at Dave Georgeson and his esoteric, conviluted, matter a factly mannerisms and posturing for the cameras.

Not to mention Sierra's Apaplectic treatment of Dynamix.

What will this beta do...? Probably nothing. Tribes 2 as a developmental prospect falls into the category of a solider who's been mortally wounded but, his brain hasn't caught onto the fact that his body is already dead.

T2 in short is a deceptive hodge podge that's brething it's last breaths of life and Dynamix will probably cut loose it's remaining T2 team earlier than we think.

I am truely hurt

-The Dude-

-The Dude-

Vic B.
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older