Out of the Blue

I have achieved an uneasy peace with my PC over its difficulties running Diablo IV without crashing, though I'm not altogether happy with it. Based on some forum posts, I experimented with lowering the maximum foreground framerate, which defaults to 150 fps. I have a 3070 Ti which is perfectly silent in Windows since the fans only kick in for gaming. But like most games, Diablo IV makes my machine sound like a jet turbine. Lowering the cap to 90 made things quieter and more stable. Setting it to 60 keeps it very quiet, and I haven't had a crash in a couple of extended gaming sessions. The game is not a first-person shooter, so this still feels more than smooth and responsive enough, but it does bother me that it's necessary. I've played both recent DOOM games extensively on this rig, and while these demanding games made the fans on my GPU crazy, I never experienced any crashing. Also, I've been able to play for extended periods following these Diablo crashes. So I don't think this should be a thermal issue, but it will take some more experimentation to nail that down. At least I seem to be out of the woods as far as the crashes go.

Throttled Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Story

Science

Media

Creature Features

Follow-up

View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Planet of the Bass
Aug 17, 2023, 17:12
Planet of the Bass Aug 17, 2023, 17:12
Aug 17, 2023, 17:12

"I want the sex on the phone"

---
TATTOOING Close Up (in Slow Motion) - Smarter Every Day 122:

Welp, that's the first time I'm going to pass on a Smarter Every Day episode. Just the thumbnail makes me queesy.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Re: OotB: Throttled
Aug 17, 2023, 11:56
Re: OotB: Throttled Aug 17, 2023, 11:56
Aug 17, 2023, 11:56

trillion wrote on Aug 17, 2023, 03:27:
are you running a stock cpu cooler without fans or some kind of aio with a radiator ? i have a i9 12900KF and it always runs hotter in games using a bunch of vram on an intel arc a770, with a cpu aio and 2 x 120mm case fans on exhaust.
I am using al AIO for the CPU, but my processor temps are fine. And I've even pretty much eliminated overclocking as a possible cause. Changes to Diablo graphics settings have affected the crashing, but nothing I do to the CPU changes things either way. It sounds like you have a different issue, but I've become more and more convinced my problems don't seem to be heat-related.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Aug 17, 2023, 03:27
Re: OotB: Throttled Aug 17, 2023, 03:27
Aug 17, 2023, 03:27

are you running a stock cpu cooler without fans or some kind of aio with a radiator ? i have a i9 12900KF and it always runs hotter in games using a bunch of vram on an intel arc a770, with a cpu aio and 2 x 120mm case fans on exhaust.

Aug 16, 2023, 19:25
Re: OotB: Throttled Aug 16, 2023, 19:25
Aug 16, 2023, 19:25

Superconductor Scientist Faces Investigation as a Paper Is Retracted

It's Pons and Fleischmann all over again.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Aug 16, 2023, 18:34
Re: OotB: Throttled Aug 16, 2023, 18:34
Aug 16, 2023, 18:34

natx wrote on Aug 16, 2023, 17:28:
is it stable prime 95 for a few hrs?
Good point, I got locked into thinking it might be a GPU issue.
I would run P95 overnight and the next night hit it with https://memtest.org/
That would give you a good idea if those bits are stable.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Aug 16, 2023, 17:28
Re: OotB: Throttled Aug 16, 2023, 17:28
Aug 16, 2023, 17:28

is it stable prime 95 for a few hrs?

Aug 16, 2023, 17:15
Re: OotB: Throttled Aug 16, 2023, 17:15
Aug 16, 2023, 17:15

Blue wrote on Aug 16, 2023, 17:13:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2023, 12:38:
Um, I'm gonna call it a thermal issue. Flamethrower
What's the temp in the room.
What temps did the card hit playing D4 before framerate tweaks. What temps do the other games hit.
The first thing I'd do is pop a side cover and point a fan in the box.
I dunno. It's about 50C idle and peaks in the high 70s/low 80s in Diablo IV if I don't throttle the framerate. But the max for the RTX 3000 series is supposed to be 93C. I can get it up into the high 70s with no issues playing DOOM Eternal at 240 fps. I took the side panel off my case, but don't have a fan handy to point in there right now.

Investigations continue...
dammit, that temp doesn't look too high.
Have you tried a hammer.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Aug 16, 2023, 17:13
Re: OotB: Throttled Aug 16, 2023, 17:13

Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 16, 2023, 16:15:
If it's a thermal issue, you should be able to see it via tools like HWMonitor. Also, not sure which brand gfx card you have, but sometimes if you install their tools (MSI: Afterburner, ASUS: GPU Tweak), they override the default settings. This happened to me with ASUS gfx card. The idle temp was running at a nice 38c, but after installing GPU Tweak, the idle temp was at 50c! I had to do some "tweaking" to get it back to normal. Anyhow, open up HWMonitor when running the game and take a look at the max temp. If it's around 90c or above, you're in trouble. If it is running hot, but a bit lower than 90c, you can use the card's tool to change fan speeds and see if that helps (are you overclocking? That could be an issue too). Also, check your cpu temp. Some other things to try: clear directx shader cache, clear game cache. Right after a crash, go to Windows Event Viewer, click on Application and find the error code (if any) around the time of the crash. Do the same for System event log. These codes can sometimes lead to a solution (or give you a hint). Does the crash happen when you're playing alone or when in a co-op situation (i.e. joining someone's game)? I don't play D4 so not sure how multiplayer works, but could be some kind of co-op/multiplayer network thing. Also, make sure Windows is up to date. I think there was a patch not too long ago (a few weeks back) that fixed an occasion game-related crash.

Basic commands to fix Windows issues:
In elevated cmd prompt, run: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Then run: sfc /scannow
Then reboot

This also seems to fix some issues people have had: D4 fix
Good advice on running dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and then sfc/scannow as SFC /scannow by itself almost never works.
Here's more info on the subject. https://youtu.be/acxCueZ2dVQ worth a watch

Re: OotB: Throttled Aug 16, 2023, 17:13

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2023, 12:38:
What temps did the card hit playing D4 before framerate tweaks. What temps do the other games hit.
I dunno. It's about 50C idle and peaks in the high 70s/low 80s in Diablo IV if I don't throttle the framerate. But the max for the RTX 3000 series is supposed to be 93C. I can get it up into the high 70s with no issues playing DOOM Eternal at 240 fps. I took the side panel off my case, but don't have a fan handy to point in there right now.

Investigations continue...
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Aug 16, 2023, 16:17
Re: OotB: Throttled Aug 16, 2023, 16:17
Aug 16, 2023, 16:17

It could be a power supply issue too? Although it could be hard to tell if it is thermal or power. Usually if it is the latter you get a more fatal crash (ie. reboot) but sometimes it just causes the game to crash.

Using MSI Afterburner to lower the powerlimit could help in the same way as limiting the framerate, perhaps. Lots of things to try!

Aug 16, 2023, 16:15
Re: OotB: Throttled Aug 16, 2023, 16:15
Aug 16, 2023, 16:15

If it's a thermal issue, you should be able to see it via tools like HWMonitor. Also, not sure which brand gfx card you have, but sometimes if you install their tools (MSI: Afterburner, ASUS: GPU Tweak), they override the default settings. This happened to me with ASUS gfx card. The idle temp was running at a nice 38c, but after installing GPU Tweak, the idle temp was at 50c! I had to do some "tweaking" to get it back to normal. Anyhow, open up HWMonitor when running the game and take a look at the max temp. If it's around 90c or above, you're in trouble. If it is running hot, but a bit lower than 90c, you can use the card's tool to change fan speeds and see if that helps (are you overclocking? That could be an issue too). Also, check your cpu temp. Some other things to try: clear directx shader cache, clear game cache. Right after a crash, go to Windows Event Viewer, click on Application and find the error code (if any) around the time of the crash. Do the same for System event log. These codes can sometimes lead to a solution (or give you a hint). Does the crash happen when you're playing alone or when in a co-op situation (i.e. joining someone's game)? I don't play D4 so not sure how multiplayer works, but could be some kind of co-op/multiplayer network thing. Also, make sure Windows is up to date. I think there was a patch not too long ago (a few weeks back) that fixed an occasion game-related crash.

Basic commands to fix Windows issues:
In elevated cmd prompt, run: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Then run: sfc /scannow
Then reboot

This also seems to fix some issues people have had: D4 fix

Aug 16, 2023, 15:49
Kxmode

Re: OotB: Throttled Aug 16, 2023, 15:49
Aug 16, 2023, 15:49
 Kxmode

The only tax I like is syntax.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Aug 16, 2023, 12:38
Re: OotB: Throttled Aug 16, 2023, 12:38
Aug 16, 2023, 12:38

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older