10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: etc., etc.
Aug 2, 2023, 04:56
Re: etc., etc. Aug 2, 2023, 04:56
Aug 2, 2023, 04:56

VaranDragon wrote on Aug 1, 2023, 09:56:
This means a LOT of art. music video, map etc. assets. 122GB is big but people forget that BG2 came out on like 5 or 6 CDs which was considered absolutely bonkers in size compared to pretty much any game out there ever made at the time.

That is a lot of assuming. Because I def don't see a LOT of art, or assets, or video (The game probably uses very little video thanks to custom looking characters, so mostly real time cut scenes). Music will remain to be seen but again, I rarly see large music tracks reflected in a games file size. Xenoblade (all) is quite a normal sized switch game for it's giant song library. Final fantasies also never got large except for ff14 (But games that have years of added content get that way).
Again from what has been shown so far, this game isn't a looker, and the performance issues are worse, it's here for the character development and D&D style combat. I'm sure its fan base will love it but I think you will find quite a bit flak from the gallery.

Aug 2, 2023, 04:47
Re: etc., etc. Aug 2, 2023, 04:47
Aug 2, 2023, 04:47

VaranDragon wrote on Aug 1, 2023, 06:27:

Every single NPC that you can talk to in the game is voice acted. Think about that for a second. Supposedly there are over a 1000 of them in the game. I'd say 122Gb is pretty light, considering that fact.

nah. 64Kbit mono AAC (or ogg if you wanted to be awesome) which is more then enough for voice lines would take years to reach those levels. It is probably texture bloat, would explain the load in issues.

Aug 1, 2023, 09:56
Re: etc., etc. Aug 1, 2023, 09:56
Aug 1, 2023, 09:56

phinn wrote on Aug 1, 2023, 09:29:
Install size sounds insane to me, I don't need any FMVs, or so much voice acting I like reading dialogue for RPGs, and I wonder if they could have used better texture compression with Gdeflate or something. Elden Ring is a masterpiece level 100+ hour APRG with online features and only about 50GB.

Nevertheless Nvme SSDs are cheap so doesn't matter. Whether it could have been 62GB or the 122GB count me in on a Day 1 purchase, been looking forward to this for years

Yeah, like Elden Ring is not even in the same ballpark (or class) as this game. Seriously, have people forgotten about cRPGs? Elden Ring is an action game with RPG elements. This is an RPG and a Character driven RPG first and foremost. It's a character role playing game. So story and character development over action. This is means lots and lots of cutscenes (or even exposition), and lots and lots of dialogue. This means a LOT of art. music video, map etc. assets. 122GB is big but people forget that BG2 came out on like 5 or 6 CDs which was considered absolutely bonkers in size compared to pretty much any game out there ever made at the time.

Aug 1, 2023, 09:29
Re: etc., etc. Aug 1, 2023, 09:29
Aug 1, 2023, 09:29

Install size sounds insane to me, I don't need any FMVs, or so much voice acting I like reading dialogue for RPGs, and I wonder if they could have used better texture compression with Gdeflate or something. Elden Ring is a masterpiece level 100+ hour APRG with online features and only about 50GB.

Nevertheless Nvme SSDs are cheap so doesn't matter. Whether it could have been 62GB or the 122GB count me in on a Day 1 purchase, been looking forward to this for years

Aug 1, 2023, 08:55
Re: etc., etc. Aug 1, 2023, 08:55
Aug 1, 2023, 08:55

If, like me, you purchased the game three years ago, waiting for the monstrous download to complete on the 3rd is just not a big deal. When I bought the game, I told myself that at most I'd have to wait for a year--and if I was lucky I'd see it in six months...ha-ha. I should have known--Larian pitches its EA versions way too early. But this one is a record breaker. I think this game will be a contender for GoD, Game of the Decade. We will see.
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Aug 1, 2023, 06:27
Re: etc., etc. Aug 1, 2023, 06:27
Aug 1, 2023, 06:27

JeffD wrote on Aug 1, 2023, 05:17:
not reading the article but I did just watch a gamespot video outlining all about it as I have not paid any attention to it. I have to say nothing about it looks like its worth a fraction of that 122gb. There is seriously something a little wrong with that. I imagine fans of the game will stomach such a bloated game for what looks to be a fairly unique experience. At first I was really wondering why the xbox version of the game was going to be LAST because of multiplayer performance issues but this and all the texture pop in I saw in the gamespot footage makes me think this game is going to be rife with performance issues. RIP budget PCs.

Every single NPC that you can talk to in the game is voice acted. Think about that for a second. Supposedly there are over a 1000 of them in the game. I'd say 122Gb is pretty light, considering that fact.

Aug 1, 2023, 05:59
Re: etc., etc. Aug 1, 2023, 05:59
Aug 1, 2023, 05:59

It's a big game. No shit.

Aug 1, 2023, 05:17
Re: etc., etc. Aug 1, 2023, 05:17
Aug 1, 2023, 05:17

not reading the article but I did just watch a gamespot video outlining all about it as I have not paid any attention to it. I have to say nothing about it looks like its worth a fraction of that 122gb. There is seriously something a little wrong with that. I imagine fans of the game will stomach such a bloated game for what looks to be a fairly unique experience. At first I was really wondering why the xbox version of the game was going to be LAST because of multiplayer performance issues but this and all the texture pop in I saw in the gamespot footage makes me think this game is going to be rife with performance issues. RIP budget PCs.

Aug 1, 2023, 03:12
Re: etc., etc. Aug 1, 2023, 03:12
Aug 1, 2023, 03:12

RogueSix wrote on Jul 31, 2023, 20:19:
And?

Fuck this clickbait bullshit. It's really getting out of hand with this game. Every outlet wants their piece of the pie with the most ridiculous "articles" that no one gives a shit about. And PC Gamer out of all places is the LAST place that can afford to lose more sympathies. What a fucking rag it has become... yuck, disgusting...

PC Gamer has turned into a terrible magazine, however their coverage of the release, and the first few weeks of Diablo 4 was for the most part pretty good. Which was very surprising to say the least.

Jul 31, 2023, 20:19
Re: etc., etc. Jul 31, 2023, 20:19
Jul 31, 2023, 20:19

And?

Fuck this clickbait bullshit. It's really getting out of hand with this game. Every outlet wants their piece of the pie with the most ridiculous "articles" that no one gives a shit about. And PC Gamer out of all places is the LAST place that can afford to lose more sympathies. What a fucking rag it has become... yuck, disgusting...
Threadcrapper Extraordinaire
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older