Re: Quoteworthy
Jul 28, 2023, 02:56
Re: Quoteworthy Jul 28, 2023, 02:56
Jul 28, 2023, 02:56

RogueSix wrote on Jul 28, 2023, 00:06:
LordSteev wrote on Jul 27, 2023, 23:16:
Because whether they admit it or not, if BG3 sets a new standard, they'll have no choice but to step up and play ball.

Actually they don't. They'll just carry on churning out their mediocre garbage. Take 'The Witcher 3' for example. Did everyone else all of a sudden up their game in terms of writing, narrative, characters, quest design, exploration etc.? Nope. They sure did not.

The clickbait "BG3 is an anomaly" drivel will be forgotten in a few weeks. BG3 is way overhyped at this point and I think reviews or post-mortems of it in a few months will be a lot more realistic than the dumb levels of hyperventilation we're witnessing now.

I preordered the CE as well but I will not dive into a sincere playthrough before there is the usual (for Larian) Enhanced or Definitive Edition. Going by Larian's track record, I would be very surprised if the release version is bug-free. With an epic RPG like this, I'm not exactly a fan of game-breaking bugs or save game corruption 50+ hours into a playthrough.
Larian are also well known for patches that require a fresh start/save if you want to benefit from everything new that is introduced in some of their (QoL) feature-packed patches. I'll play it in full when they are done patching.

Look, you're probably right, it won't have any real effect on the quality of what other corporations release. Just looking for a ray of hope in my hobby of choice. Maybe it will make some talented individuals take a good look at themselves and decide they don't like what they see. Maybe give them a nudge to leave the big houses and start up more independent studios again.

I'm just finishing up my 3rd playthrough of DOS2, with all the trimmings they added, and you're right, it's substantial. And way less buggy (almost perfect, in fact). I'm thinking maybe BG3 is going to release in pretty good shape just because it's been in early access for what, 3 or 4 years now? I'll give it a playthrough, and even if it's a little buggy, that's ok. I know for a fact my first playthrough won't be my last.

Date
Subject
Author
Jul 27, 2023Jul 27 2023
Jul 28, 2023Jul 28 2023
Jul 28, 2023Jul 28 2023
  Re: Quoteworthy
Jul 28, 2023Jul 28 2023
Jul 28, 2023Jul 28 2023