Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games

A new update on the Closure of inactive Ubisoft accounts from Ubisoft Help has a reassurance for customers that despite indications otherwise, it will not be deleting any Ubisoft accounts with an active Ubisoft subscription or PC games purchased from the Ubisoft Store. Deleted accounts would lose access to any purchased games, so this is an important distinction. Here's word:
Inactive Ubisoft accounts, with no PC purchases or active subscriptions tied to them, may be closed in order to comply with data protection laws after long periods of inactivity.

Accounts tied to an active Ubisoft subscription, or PC games that have been purchased from the Ubisoft store, are not eligible for deletion.

We may close long-term inactive accounts to maintain our database. You will be notified by email if we begin the process of closing your inactive account.

If your Ubisoft account was flagged as inactive and you would like to keep using it, you can cancel the account closure.

You can find the cancellation link in the Ubisoft email that was sent to the email address attached to you account. If you are unable to locate this email, please check your spam folder.
View : : :
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games
Jul 25, 2023, 18:13
audun

Re: Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games Jul 25, 2023, 18:13
Jul 25, 2023, 18:13
 audun

Makes sense, but maybe it should have been clear from the start. GDPR does not mean other rules don’t apply. If they need to keep account details in other to continue to provide a service to paying/formerly paying customers, you absolutely can. Maybe they should keep fewer details, as you might not need anything other than username/password in the long run.

Jul 25, 2023, 14:57
Re: Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games Jul 25, 2023, 14:57
Jul 25, 2023, 14:57

Kxmode wrote on Jul 25, 2023, 13:21:
"A few of you are missing a key detail. Ubisoft mentioned "account closure" rather than "account deletion" to maintain their database; specifically the live production database. As a database grows it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain and perform efficiently (it's also more expensive). They can archive inactive accounts from the production database and potentially rehydrate them as needed. That's not hard to do with modern cloud technologies.

Seriously, most of you should be aware of this... "

source

Except that's not what's happening here.
They did not distinguish between account closure and account deletion, nor mention anything about archiving or deactivating. They simply said they won't delete/close the account if you have purchased games tied to it.

Jul 25, 2023, 13:21
Kxmode

Re: Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games Jul 25, 2023, 13:21
Jul 25, 2023, 13:21
 Kxmode

"A few of you are missing a key detail. Ubisoft mentioned "account closure" rather than "account deletion" to maintain their database; specifically the live production database. As a database grows it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain and perform efficiently (it's also more expensive). They can archive inactive accounts from the production database and potentially rehydrate them as needed. That's not hard to do with modern cloud technologies.

Seriously, most of you should be aware of this... "

source
"...and now for the weather. In Quirktopia, expect confetti and lemonade with bubblegum. Temperatures are a giggly 83. The blurple sunset will lead into a winking moon at 29 o'clock tonight."

Jul 25, 2023, 10:04
Re: Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games Jul 25, 2023, 10:04
Jul 25, 2023, 10:04

Cravaro wrote on Jul 25, 2023, 07:34:
For a few months I was considering purchasing AC Mirage from Ubisoft. It's sad they wont offer it up on Steam anytime soon. Now with this debacle, I will just wait however long until it's on Steam. Or maybe I simply wont buy it even then.

Even when they're on steam, they still require an ubisoft account and run the ubisoft launcher to run the game.

Jul 25, 2023, 07:34
Re: Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games Jul 25, 2023, 07:34
Jul 25, 2023, 07:34

For a few months I was considering purchasing AC Mirage from Ubisoft. It's sad they wont offer it up on Steam anytime soon. Now with this debacle, I will just wait however long until it's on Steam. Or maybe I simply wont buy it even then.

Jul 25, 2023, 06:16
Re: Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games Jul 25, 2023, 06:16
Jul 25, 2023, 06:16

They can walk back statements and whatever else. With Ubisofts harassment problems and now this on top, I will now not only second guess buying an Ubisoft game but will actively avoid it.

And here I was hoping that their vapourware pirate game could get me to reinstall their launcher… what a fool I was.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2023, 06:37.
Rimmer: “Step up to Red Alert.”
Kryten: “Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.”

Jul 25, 2023, 03:58
Jivaro

Re: Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games Jul 25, 2023, 03:58
Jul 25, 2023, 03:58
 Jivaro

"nope, can't do that yet...gonna have to come back in a few years and see if the next gen of buyers will fall for it."

Jul 25, 2023, 02:24
JTW
Re: Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games Jul 25, 2023, 02:24
Jul 25, 2023, 02:24
JTW

You Be Soft has been one of the most consistently greedy, consumer-hostile, pushy companies for years, in the top three behind EA and Bethesda. They are well-known for shutting down games, taking away paid-for DLC, and other acts that are just straight up shitty.

This doesn't surprise me in the least.

But hey, Tom Clancy's Assassin's Cry XVII is coming out next month, so why not?

Jul 25, 2023, 02:12
NKD
Re: Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games Jul 25, 2023, 02:12
Jul 25, 2023, 02:12
NKD

Considering we only hear about this once every few years despite this being their policy for ages, it makes sense that they aren't actually routinely deleting accounts with attached purchases. A platform with as many users as Ubi would have a constant stream of upset of customers yelling to the internet if it were actually happening.
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Jul 24, 2023, 21:41
Re: Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games Jul 24, 2023, 21:41
Jul 24, 2023, 21:41

I'm shocked, after I called them threatening to file an International Class Action suit, they changed their tune!
Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Jul 24, 2023, 20:58
Re: Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games Jul 24, 2023, 20:58
Jul 24, 2023, 20:58

Dear RogueSix,

A deleted games account case:

"Could GDPR policy erase your games? It happened to an Ubisoft customer."

www pcworld.com/article/559218/could-gdpr-policy-erase-your-games-it-
happened-to-an-ubisoft-customer.html

Took Ubi only 4 days to reply and update its policy, well, writing in french and all that mon chéri.

Making Ubisoft responsible for this, and you as aider and abetter

Jul 24, 2023, 20:18
Prez

Re: Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games Jul 24, 2023, 20:18
Jul 24, 2023, 20:18
 Prez

I know you are pro Ubisoft store Roguesix, and to be fair, I don't blame you. It's a pretty good store. But it's folly to assume anything when dealing with these shady corporations. Good store or not, it is complete silliness to think that they at all care about you. They updated their terms of service because they created a firestorm, and rightly so.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 24, 2023, 19:55
Re: Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games Jul 24, 2023, 19:55
Jul 24, 2023, 19:55

yonder wrote on Jul 24, 2023, 19:39:
"purchased from the Ubisoft store"

And what if we have games bought from elsewhere because Ubi can go f*** itself and using that horrible store is an immoral act?

UbiSoft actually made that clear in an official statement released to WCCFTech (and possibly other media outlets):

For many years now, we have implemented our account deletion process in compliance with the requirements of the GDPR (Article 5.1.e on the obligation to limit the data retention period). Our policies are aligned with legal requirements and with the standards of the industry. This measure also acts as a protection for our players against fraud.

Account deletion follows a very strict process. As such, we take into consideration the 4 following criteria before an account is deleted:

• The gaming activity of the account since its creation
  • The account’s libraries: accounts that include purchased PC games are not eligible for deletion
  • The duration of inactivity of the account, meaning the last login to our ecosystem (including from Ubisoft games on Steam and other platforms)
  • In practice, as of today, we have never deleted accounts that have been inactive for less than 4 years
  • The existence of an active subscription tied to the account.

In any case, before the deletion is permanent, three emails are sent to the player over a 30-day period offering to restore their account. In addition, if the user tries to log in during the 30-day window, they will automatically receive a warning and a link to reactivate their account.”

^ Games bought elsewhere are safe, though I do not know why anyone would be worried about that. You have to use/run UbiSoft Connect in any case. Might as well buy the game(s) on Ubi Connect and only deal with one launcher but that's just my way of thinking. Besides, earning Ubi points and getting 20% discount for every 100 points = cool shit.
I prefer that course of action over double launcher fetishism but you do you. If you enjoy triple DRM (two launchers plus Denuvo) then have at it!
Threadcrapper Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2023, 19:39
Re: Ubisoft Not Deleting Accounts with Games Jul 24, 2023, 19:39
Jul 24, 2023, 19:39

"purchased from the Ubisoft store"

And what if we have games bought from elsewhere because Ubi can go f*** itself and using that horrible store is an immoral act?
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older