Out of the Blue

Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there, including my own assortment (now in three flavors: biological, step-, and -in-law). Also, as noted yesterday, the news messageboard is back online, again, thanks to Richard "Bagpuss" Smith for the Chatbear code he modified to suit the project. We are still fooling around with certain things, but even without further tweaking the new system is working out great so far, and perhaps most importantly, the issue that plagued the old forums (other than design) of an occasionally extremely high CPU load, does not seem to be rearing its extremely ugly head. Finally, to repeat something else on the subject loony already mentioned (from the department of redundancy department), messageboards for topics other than the news will return as soon as this week.

Link of the Day: What Historical Military Leader Are You Most Like?. Thanks Ant, whose result was Stonewall Jackson, while I ended up Napoleon Bonaparte myself.
Story of the Day: Woman Bites Dog (CNN). Thanks Thrasher. The classic definition of news comes true.
Media of the Day: The only pimped out lawnmower that I ever saw (Sounddomain.com). Thanks Major Jam.
Follow-up: Though the fruit incident is not mentioned in the summary, 30 Minutes Over Tokyo on The Simpsons.com is the episode description where Homer buys a square watermelon in Japan just like the one mentioned in yesterday's (how appropriate) Fruit of the loon (story). Thanks Tony.

View : : :
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Completely Unrelated..
Jun 20, 2001, 13:17
Re: Completely Unrelated.. Jun 20, 2001, 13:17

Thank you both.

I've been trying to find out exactly what it does for over a month now. I installed through imesh, and since there was absolutely no documentation or warning, I simply assumed that it had something to do with imeshs resumable downloads. I've been noticing a drain on my cpu about every 3 seconds or so lately. I chalked it up to a hard drive problem but hadnt been able to find a problem. Its been slowly driving me insane.
So thank you both for having the guts to be completely unrelated.

-Heatwave

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 13:26.
-Heatwave
(Apologies for wasting anyones space or time with this message.)

Re: Redundant
Re: Redundant Jun 20, 2001, 13:17

Well said.

-Heatwave

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 13:25.
-Heatwave
(Apologies for wasting anyones space or time with this message.)

Re: Redundant
Jun 18, 2001, 08:43
Re: Redundant Jun 18, 2001, 08:43
Jun 18, 2001, 08:43

The term ‘biological father’ is very redundant and poor English. If you are a ‘father’ you are the biological one. If you are a step-father or father-in-law then you are not biological

Only in the technical terminoligy... To me (and most people) there is more to being a 'Father' than being the biological progenitor of offspring. I never refer to my 'step-father' as such because he is the man who raised me. I have a lot of respect for him and his influence on me. I did not know my 'biological Father' for over 20 years of my life. The only way he knew what was going on in my life was through my paternal Grandparents, with whom I have always been very close. Once my 'biological Father' got over being ashamed of how long he put off contacting me, we have become fairly close, but not anywhere near what my 'step-father' and I have...

So sir I have to say to you that you miss the entire point & spirit of Father's Day and Fatherhood in general. Please keep your overinflated opinions to yourself.
Lord BloodWolf

again with the new board :-)
Jun 18, 2001, 02:11
again with the new board :-) Jun 18, 2001, 02:11
Jun 18, 2001, 02:11

Well, did anyone noticed we are all bearcubs ?!

p.s. it would be nice if you could get links to your posts from your profile link, and that a "preview" button would be available in the post message screen.

/me doesn't want *anyone* to take off the board a second time...

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 04:49.

ootb
Jun 18, 2001, 00:59
anon@198.172
ootb Jun 18, 2001, 00:59
Jun 18, 2001, 00:59
anon@198.172

Wow, Blue, was that a Firesign Theatre reference?

Cool.
Snarkbait

Jun 17, 2001, 23:39
Re: Completely Unrelated.. Jun 17, 2001, 23:39
Jun 17, 2001, 23:39

Savenow.... after some poking around i found out it was part of an evil pop-up banner campaign... Im not sure what it does, but it eats up 2 megs of memory... EEVILL!!

I just got rid of it, no big deal.

Jun 17, 2001, 23:05
anon@146.229
Re: Completely Unrelated.. Jun 17, 2001, 23:05
Jun 17, 2001, 23:05
anon@146.229

Well, it seems you were right about it piggy backing in with some other program.
http://www.spychecker.com/savenow.htm
But, I don't think it was Netscape 6.1, as I also downloaded, installed, and have run it. But, no mention of savenow anywhere on the computer.
I've found references elsewhere to it coming with Bearshare, iMesh, GDIVX, and apparantly quite a few other programs.

Completely Unrelated..
Jun 17, 2001, 19:52
Completely Unrelated.. Jun 17, 2001, 19:52
Jun 17, 2001, 19:52

Nothing to do with anything here, but I've just come across this and hope someone here has a clue on it.

T'is a program called "SaveNow" which keeps an eye on what you do regarding web-queries and the like. What it actually saves I've yet to work out..

The "Readme" says I chose to install this crap and accepted the license agreement. Nope, that's a crock.

Only site I've hit in days, that's unusual for me, is the link from here to download Netscape 6.1. Downloaded, but not installed, yet I've scored this "SaveNow" crap as an unwanted bonus.

Is bugging me where it came from. Anyone else here download Netscape 6.1 and end up with this prior to installing it?

Redundant
Jun 17, 2001, 18:26
Redundant Jun 17, 2001, 18:26
Jun 17, 2001, 18:26

The term ‘biological father’ is very redundant and poor English. If you are a ‘father’ you are the biological one. If you are a step-father or father-in-law then you are not biological. Now I know Blue did not say “Biological Father” when pointing out the groups, however this IS done quite often in the AP news stories that are always in horrible English anyways.

Generals
Jun 17, 2001, 13:21
anon@142.20
Generals Jun 17, 2001, 13:21
Jun 17, 2001, 13:21
anon@142.20

George Washington here.

The only pimped out lawnmower
Jun 17, 2001, 12:31
The only pimped out lawnmower Jun 17, 2001, 12:31
Jun 17, 2001, 12:31

I don't mind the novel idea so much as...

How is someone even going to benefit from hearing the music with some reasonable audible quality? When the decibles that the lawn mower reaches will rival the noise the speakers are out putting... not to mention a 6 vlt batteries doesn't exactly give you the High Definition and extended range you're looking for...

"That's right?" "I just realized something!" some music being cut today isn't a matter of wanting to hear it anyway. It's just noise and yelling. The mower engine would probably complement it.

-The Dude-

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 12:33.
-The Dude-

Vic B.
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older