Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed

The Diablo IV Developer Update Live Stream - May 2023 is here with details from Blizzard about post-release support. The action/RPG sequel will have four seasons per year. These will feature themed content and tweaks to items and gameplay that diverge from the main campaign. There will be two levels of premium game pass: A USD$10 premium pass and a $25 accelerated pass that rewards you more for less playing. Season one doesn't have a set start date. Word is more details will arrive with the game's launch next month.
View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed
May 12, 2023, 11:26
Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 12, 2023, 11:26
May 12, 2023, 11:26

On one hand, I think the accelerated one that penalizes you for playing is kind of brilliant. I would never buy a season pass. I don't play enough, so by a week in I'd be so far behind that it's pointless. An accelerated one helps, and limiting it to people like me that don't play much does make it more fair.

But, $25? That's like, 25 FTLs. 3 Hades. 4 Slay the Spires.

May 12, 2023, 03:11
Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 12, 2023, 03:11
May 12, 2023, 03:11

Is Diablo 4 going to be a free to play game? No? Then they can fuck right off with this battle-pass bullshit. How anyone can be an apologist for the greed of this company is beyond me. Blizzard used to stand for something more than just pure greed. Any other game company would have their heads on a spike if they attempted this bullshit with anything other than a F2P game, but somehow because it's Blizzard this is OKAY. Well, it's not.

May 11, 2023, 18:18
Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 11, 2023, 18:18
May 11, 2023, 18:18

Ant wrote on May 11, 2023, 15:00:
So, they're doing what they did to Immortal game? :O

Based on the information we have so far, not really or even remotely close to the nonsense happening in Immortal. Both games might have a battle pass, but that's where it ends comparing the two and Immortal MTX just goes off the rails after that.

May 11, 2023, 15:00
Ant

Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 11, 2023, 15:00
May 11, 2023, 15:00
 Ant

So, they're doing what they did to Immortal game? :O

May 11, 2023, 14:11
Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 11, 2023, 14:11
May 11, 2023, 14:11

Avatarium wrote on May 11, 2023, 09:25:
A USD$10 premium pass and a $25 accelerated pass that rewards you more for less playing

I don't get this thing. Sort of feels like the gaming industry is like drug addiction and the shady companies are ruthless in their money greed. Gameplay is rigged for addiction and just grindy enough to ensure that the addicts will waste their money.

I mean, a game where you pay to play less... wtf?!

Maybe just me - I have never played any seasonal games like this.

I'd be someone who'd go for the $25 version, probably, as long as I'm into the game enough to actually want to play it to that degree. I want to get the things from the season pass, but I don't want to have to play and grind for 4 hours a day to actually get everything. Passes like Battlefield's or Destiny's basically require you to play them as your only game in order to actually unlock the things that are part of the season passes, usually for hours a day. Fallout 76 is a little less intensive, but you can still find yourself playing for a few hours a day to unlock the whole pass.

Paying more for the $25 version is cheaper than buying other games to fill the time it takes to make use of it, and it's a better value than the $10 version if the $10 version has a grind onerous enough that I'd never actually complete it anyway. That said, I'm not a big fan of season passes in general since I like to play a variety of games rather than just pour all my time into one single game, so I'd have to be pretty into one to spend money on any of the passes at all.

May 11, 2023, 12:19
Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 11, 2023, 12:19
May 11, 2023, 12:19

It sucks to see the direction the industry is moving, but it just shows the times we're in. That's why I support a lot of indie developers. I still prefer my, pay once and get the whole game titles.

Clearly this is marketed more for the constant grind/MMO type crowds. They never want it to end and will keep playing till their mouse buttons fall off. That's perfectly fine, but as others said, it is also somewhat like they're developing the perfect drug. Just to keep you addicted enough but always wanting more and that you'll pay for more.

I enjoyed the heck out of Diablo 2. Loved the expansion. Enjoyed Diablo 3, but not with the same feels that I had with 2. My expectations have gone further down with 4. I've even played the demo. It was as expected though you can definitely get that MMO feel this time around where the prior titles didn't feel it as much.

May 11, 2023, 10:37
Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 11, 2023, 10:37
May 11, 2023, 10:37

Mr. Tact wrote on May 11, 2023, 09:52:
I really don't have much sympathy for PC game companies, but I do have to admit that game pricing has stagnated in a weird way. I know in the early 2000s I was paying between $50 and $60 for some games. And today in 2023 many games are still priced in that range. But if you look at a inflation calculator, $60 in 2000 is equivalent to over $105 in 2023.

All that said, I'm going to have to better understanding what these passes provide and what the impact is if you don't buy them before I can decide if I'll be willing to purchase this game.

The situation today is that the market for their games is exponentially larger now than it was in 2000. Volume sales is the Holy Grail, as opposed to the MSRP. The games might not cost any more (lots of games cost less today than they did then, surprisingly, especially when inflation is figured in) because the market for those games is so much bigger today. A sense of perspective is always valuable--in 1990, for instance, the total worldwide estimated shipment of computers of all makes and brands was ~9,000,000! The C= Amiga made up 1 million of those sales in that year, IIRC. Desktop computer hardware was, in word, dog slow and very expensive even in 1990 dollars. Compared to today with an estimated installed Windows base of ~1.5 billion seats, business and consumer, globally!

So while the MSRPs may appear to be stagnant, thankfully, the key metric is volume sales being far more important to publishers and Devs than per-copy MSRPs. According to the data Valve has revealed about this, when the MSRP drops, sales volume goes through the roof. Valve provided one example of a title that increased sales by 7000% (thousand!) when the price was cut by 50+% during a sale! Profits went through the roof because of the volume of copies sold, the trick being a substantial reduction in MSRP for the duration of the sale. While the MSRP targets for computer games (as opposed to console games) is actually falling much faster than it used to, with the fall in MSRP comes a dramatic increase in the number of copies sold, generally speaking. Often $60-$70 computer games (not consoles) sell far fewer copies than the same games sell when the initial MSRP is slashed, as when on sale.

Consoles are the outlier, because the sales rationale for $70-$80 console MSRPs by publishers is that "the customer paid much less for his hardware so he doesn't mind" paying the higher MSRPs...;) That's why I don't do consoles (well it's one reason, anyway)...;)
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

May 11, 2023, 10:12
Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 11, 2023, 10:12
May 11, 2023, 10:12

Desalus wrote on May 11, 2023, 08:00:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 11, 2023, 00:28:
They are going to nickel and dime the hell out of this game.

I just hope the Eternal Realm (Non Season) mode isn't completely fucked by Blizzard, forcing people into Seasons.

Everyone can access the seasonal content, except for cosmetic unlocks, for no additional cost.

Yeah, that's been the claim, and I'm already in for the pre-order anyway, so I guess I'll find out the hard way in less than a month.

Seasonal content + very limited number of character slots = makes me think they will start selling extra character slot packs or something, months after release, by like season 2 basically.

Also I'm not even worried about the cosmetics, but this phrasing in this news release especially makes it sound like their item tweaks, new gameplay etc. will NOT go to the Eternal Realm with any sort of haste(or maybe ever, a lot of companies are making their seasonal content a '1 and done' so you can miss it forever), to encourage people to do seasonal stuff, repeatedly.

May 11, 2023, 09:52
Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 11, 2023, 09:52
May 11, 2023, 09:52

I really don't have much sympathy for PC game companies, but I do have to admit that game pricing has stagnated in a weird way. I know in the early 2000s I was paying between $50 and $60 for some games. And today in 2023 many games are still priced in that range. But if you look at a inflation calculator, $60 in 2000 is equivalent to over $105 in 2023.

All that said, I'm going to have to better understanding what these passes provide and what the impact is if you don't buy them before I can decide if I'll be willing to purchase this game.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

May 11, 2023, 09:43
Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 11, 2023, 09:43
May 11, 2023, 09:43

Avatarium wrote on May 11, 2023, 09:25:
The idea of seasons in of itself is not inherently bad. It is entirely dependent on how they are implemented and what they offer. Path of Exile being the most obvious and successful example. Each season has new items, new mechanics, new something... sometimes those new things are integrated into the perpetual game, sometimes they aren't.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

May 11, 2023, 09:25
Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 11, 2023, 09:25
May 11, 2023, 09:25

A USD$10 premium pass and a $25 accelerated pass that rewards you more for less playing

I don't get this thing. Sort of feels like the gaming industry is like drug addiction and the shady companies are ruthless in their money greed. Gameplay is rigged for addiction and just grindy enough to ensure that the addicts will waste their money.

I mean, a game where you pay to play less... wtf?!

May 11, 2023, 08:00
Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 11, 2023, 08:00
May 11, 2023, 08:00

I just hope the Eternal Realm (Non Season) mode isn't completely fucked by Blizzard, forcing people into Seasons.

Everyone can access the seasonal content, except for cosmetic unlocks, for no additional cost.

May 11, 2023, 07:16
Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 11, 2023, 07:16
May 11, 2023, 07:16

Just want to thank the devs here for yet another reason to NOT support their game and NOT buy in to this. Sorry, your scheme to get my wallet access has been soundly denied.

May 11, 2023, 03:48
Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 11, 2023, 03:48
May 11, 2023, 03:48

What do you think people who don't pay for a premium pass will be missing?

May 11, 2023, 03:38
Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 11, 2023, 03:38
May 11, 2023, 03:38

Fuck those losers.

May 11, 2023, 00:28
Re: Diablo IV Post-Release Support Detailed May 11, 2023, 00:28
May 11, 2023, 00:28

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older