Out of the Blue

We're grieving here after learning that our dear canine friend Jedi the Jindo had to be put down this week. I know the last news about the plucky little guy was optimistic, but it turned out the flash of his old self was a one-off. His neurological problems continued, robbing him of his mobility and destroying his quality of life. I had a tearful goodbye video chat with him, and his lethargy was heartbreaking, so it was his time. Jedi and I were best of friends, an unusually strong bond considering he was not actually my dog. But I walked him for years with the Gunnar-man, and continued to do so even after Gunnar's passing. Since he and Gunnar were so extremely close, I'll just indulge in some magical thinking and imagine them playing together again in the great beyond. R.I.P. buddy.

Mournful Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Stories

Science

Media

Creature Features

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi
Apr 29, 2023, 04:36
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 29, 2023, 04:36
Apr 29, 2023, 04:36

BTW, Balto wasn't the only hero --- Togo ran more! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Togo_(dog)

Apr 29, 2023, 04:35
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 29, 2023, 04:35
Apr 29, 2023, 04:35

R.I.P.
I miss all the doggies I've known that have passed. Sad

Apr 29, 2023, 04:34
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 29, 2023, 04:34
Apr 29, 2023, 04:34

I’m sorry for your loss Blue

I had a similar situation in 2021 where my moms dog which I also grow up with had to be put down due to similar problems. Plus no longer walk I guess. Had to trust my sisters input as I was 5k miles away and could not fly to him cause of Covid.

At least you got to see yours one last time. My sister in law, who was taking care of him, didn’t wanna bother with that. She only facebooked me a tiny message about putting him down well after the fact.

My family sucks.
Rimmer: “Step up to Red Alert.”
Kryten: “Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.”

Apr 29, 2023, 00:13
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 29, 2023, 00:13
Apr 29, 2023, 00:13

I will remember his name

Apr 28, 2023, 22:40
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 22:40

Condolences Blue and to your friends.

I always liked Homer's description of Doggie Heaven:
"In Doggie Heaven, there are mountains of bones, and you can't turn around without sniffing another dog's butt! And all the best dogs are there"

I would add there are mailmen to attack any time of the day and infinite trees, hydrants to proudly leave their mark.

Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 22:40

Sad news anytime I hear about a beloved pet passing away. The love a of dog is something pure. Never met him but through all your stories I feel saddened by his loss too.

Apr 28, 2023, 18:31
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 18:31
Apr 28, 2023, 18:31

So sorry, Blue. I am a qualified veterinarian albeit got into math and quit practice 30 years ago, but it sounds as though the seizures may have been a side effect of something more malignant (eg brain tumor). It is awful to see little furry buddies go, and you have our deepest sympathies.
Kittens!

Apr 28, 2023, 18:30
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 18:30
Apr 28, 2023, 18:30

Really sorry about Jedi, I know your pain all too well Blue. Our canine friends are family, and losing them is just as hard as any other passing. May he rest in peace, my condolences go out to you and the rest of his family.

Edit: Autocorrect mistake

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2023, 21:28.

Apr 28, 2023, 18:29
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 18:29
Apr 28, 2023, 18:29

The Flying Penguin wrote on Apr 28, 2023, 12:54:
Sorry for your loss, Blue.

Had an interesting project to keep me busy during Covid (wife and I are over it, but Dad still testing positive). I built a very high end custom video editing workstation for my brother inlaw. He's using Adobe Premiere for 8K (yes I said 8K) video editing. I believe he's filming on an 8K camera, and editing it in 8K, and keeping the 8K video as an archive, but then burns them to 4K Bluray. He and his wife are doing bucket list vacations in their retirement, and the last BluRay he sent us of an African nature safari trip was stunning.

His old rig wasn't cutting it anymore, and he was going to order a custom rig from Cyberpower but didn't like the options available, and I told him I could put together exactly what he wanted. The biggest issue is it needed an optical drive bay for the BluRay, and good high airflow cases with an optical drive bay are getting scarce. He also has a height restriction due to the cabinets above his desk, so any really tall towers were out of the question. He also, like me, is not a fan of RGB. He and I are of the opinion that a PC is a tool, not a show piece. I have no qualms with people who want a show piece, but it's not my thing.

This is a rather mind blowing high end rig: Core i9 12900KF, 64GB Ram, 8TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (yeah, they make an 8TB version), RTX 4090, and a 20TB Seagate Exos HDD (he edits on the SSD and then archives the videos to the HDD). Rounded out with an EVGA 1000 watt PSU, all Noctua fans, and a monster Noctua NH-D15S air cooler. Low noise at idle was a major requirement.

I argued with him about the need for a 4090 - I was trying to sell him on a 4080 - but after I did some research I was convinced that Adobe Premiere would actually make good use of that 4090. Apparently Premiere has a lot of support for Nvidia CUDA core GPU computation for encoding and special effects, and there are benchmarks out there that do show the 4090 outperforms the 4080 in Premiere. He has the money to spend, so cost was not an issue.

Went with a Fractal Focus G case (same one I used on my workstation a couple of years ago). This is a standard size ATX case with 165mm height clearance, and the challenge was finding a 4090 that would fit. The FE model would have fit fine, but they are impossible to find, and most of the partner cards have beefier heat sinks that make them taller, and I was concerned about bending the video card power adapter. After a lot of research I settled on the MSI Gaming Trio which is only 140mm tall (although a whopping 3.5 slots wide), and also has the 12VHPWR connector recessed an additional 10mm, which gave me enough clearance so that the power connector wasn't being forced to bend at a sharp angle (the cover just lightly touches the connector).

The Gaming Trio also has a silent bios switch, which keeps the card very quiet even under full load. I was impressed. Even running the Furmark GPU torture test for 30 minutes, the GPU never went over 80C, and since he's not a gamer, and I doubt Premiere will ever push the card that hard, GPU temps shouldn't be a problem.

The challenge was balancing the fan curves for relatively quiet operation. That core i9 does run hot, but I managed to keep it under 95C most of the time under full load with Prime95 after 30 minutes. That's with all the case and CPU fans set to the 'silent' curve in BIOS. Under the kind of real world loads he's actually going to see, it should never get that hot.

And yeah, also ran a very unrealistic combined max GPU and max CPU torture test, and the case and GPU temps were reasonable with the quiet fan curves. That did push the CPU into thermal limit, though, but it only dropped the clock speeds a 100Mhz. Again, he should never have that system under that kind of load. If I was building this for a gamer, or myself, I'd probably go with more aggressive fan curves, but he wants the rig to be as quiet as possible, and I must say even under heavy loads, it's pretty quiet.

Needless to say I had to benchmark it against my own AMD 5800X/RTX 3080 gaming PC, if only to verify the 4090 was running at expected performance, and it pretty much doubled all the benchmarks against my system.

Fun build. I really like the flat ribbon power cables that came with the EVGA P3 PSU. Makes cable management so much easier. I will definitely go with that design in future builds.

Posted some photos and benchmarks here if anyone is interested:
https://www.pcabusers.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66106

Sweet rig. When I don't have the time to build (which these days is most of the time) I go with iBuyPower over CyberPower. Both are good but the former is great value and really OCD on quality.
Kittens!

Apr 28, 2023, 18:02
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 18:02
Apr 28, 2023, 18:02

Sorry about Jedi, Blue. I miss having dogs, so I was always glad to read about Jedi and Gunnar.

Great build story Penguin.

Agree that tipping is out of hand. My wife comes from a non-tipping country, so the rules always confuse her. We did takeout yesterday, and she asked if she was supposed to tip for just picking up. I said, no service so no tip needed. However, that same restaurant says they will charge 18% gratuity for take-out orders over $150. WTF?
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Apr 28, 2023, 17:13
Osc8r

Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 17:13
Apr 28, 2023, 17:13
 Osc8r

PHJF wrote on Apr 28, 2023, 11:28:
Sorry man, having to put my dog down was the worst experience of my life.

Yeah, still recall it like it was yesterday

My condolences. Dogs are the best of us. Hopefully they are all playing together somewhere, with endless treats and praise.

Apr 28, 2023, 16:47
Prez

Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 16:47
Apr 28, 2023, 16:47
 Prez

I'm not crying; you're crying. No wait; yeah I'm totally crying. Heartbroken about the news of Jedi.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 28, 2023, 15:54
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 15:54
Apr 28, 2023, 15:54

Very sorry to hear about Jedi. Losing a pet is losing a family member, and it's incredibly sad. I also like to think of my old companions playing in the afterlife, just waiting for me.

Apr 28, 2023, 14:12
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 14:12
Apr 28, 2023, 14:12

I figure that would have been in the $7k range if you had someone else build it for you...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Apr 28, 2023, 13:45
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 13:45
Apr 28, 2023, 13:45

Very cool, thanks for the project details.

My PC is so out of date is embarrassing. So I have been taking notes on the builds people have been doing. I haven't been following closely the hardware that is out for a few years now.

So again, thanks.

Apr 28, 2023, 13:30
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 13:30
Apr 28, 2023, 13:30

<snipped for brevity>

That's a nice build. TFP!

I also really like the flat power cables that EVGA has with their power supplies. It made cable management in my 4U rack chassis super easy and got them out of the way of airflow.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Apr 28, 2023, 12:54
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 12:54
Apr 28, 2023, 12:54

Sorry for your loss, Blue.

Had an interesting project to keep me busy during Covid (wife and I are over it, but Dad still testing positive). I built a very high end custom video editing workstation for my brother inlaw. He's using Adobe Premiere for 8K (yes I said 8K) video editing. I believe he's filming on an 8K camera, and editing it in 8K, and keeping the 8K video as an archive, but then burns them to 4K Bluray. He and his wife are doing bucket list vacations in their retirement, and the last BluRay he sent us of an African nature safari trip was stunning.

His old rig wasn't cutting it anymore, and he was going to order a custom rig from Cyberpower but didn't like the options available, and I told him I could put together exactly what he wanted. The biggest issue is it needed an optical drive bay for the BluRay, and good high airflow cases with an optical drive bay are getting scarce. He also has a height restriction due to the cabinets above his desk, so any really tall towers were out of the question. He also, like me, is not a fan of RGB. He and I are of the opinion that a PC is a tool, not a show piece. I have no qualms with people who want a show piece, but it's not my thing.

This is a rather mind blowing high end rig: Core i9 12900KF, 64GB Ram, 8TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (yeah, they make an 8TB version), RTX 4090, and a 20TB Seagate Exos HDD (he edits on the SSD and then archives the videos to the HDD). Rounded out with an EVGA 1000 watt PSU, all Noctua fans, and a monster Noctua NH-D15S air cooler. Low noise at idle was a major requirement.

I argued with him about the need for a 4090 - I was trying to sell him on a 4080 - but after I did some research I was convinced that Adobe Premiere would actually make good use of that 4090. Apparently Premiere has a lot of support for Nvidia CUDA core GPU computation for encoding and special effects, and there are benchmarks out there that do show the 4090 outperforms the 4080 in Premiere. He has the money to spend, so cost was not an issue.

Went with a Fractal Focus G case (same one I used on my workstation a couple of years ago). This is a standard size ATX case with 165mm height clearance, and the challenge was finding a 4090 that would fit. The FE model would have fit fine, but they are impossible to find, and most of the partner cards have beefier heat sinks that make them taller, and I was concerned about bending the video card power adapter. After a lot of research I settled on the MSI Gaming Trio which is only 140mm tall (although a whopping 3.5 slots wide), and also has the 12VHPWR connector recessed an additional 10mm, which gave me enough clearance so that the power connector wasn't being forced to bend at a sharp angle (the cover just lightly touches the connector).

The Gaming Trio also has a silent bios switch, which keeps the card very quiet even under full load. I was impressed. Even running the Furmark GPU torture test for 30 minutes, the GPU never went over 80C, and since he's not a gamer, and I doubt Premiere will ever push the card that hard, GPU temps shouldn't be a problem.

The challenge was balancing the fan curves for relatively quiet operation. That core i9 does run hot, but I managed to keep it under 95C most of the time under full load with Prime95 after 30 minutes. That's with all the case and CPU fans set to the 'silent' curve in BIOS. Under the kind of real world loads he's actually going to see, it should never get that hot.

And yeah, also ran a very unrealistic combined max GPU and max CPU torture test, and the case and GPU temps were reasonable with the quiet fan curves. That did push the CPU into thermal limit, though, but it only dropped the clock speeds a 100Mhz. Again, he should never have that system under that kind of load. If I was building this for a gamer, or myself, I'd probably go with more aggressive fan curves, but he wants the rig to be as quiet as possible, and I must say even under heavy loads, it's pretty quiet.

Needless to say I had to benchmark it against my own AMD 5800X/RTX 3080 gaming PC, if only to verify the 4090 was running at expected performance, and it pretty much doubled all the benchmarks against my system.

Fun build. I really like the flat ribbon power cables that came with the EVGA P3 PSU. Makes cable management so much easier. I will definitely go with that design in future builds.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2023, 13:18.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Apr 28, 2023, 12:51
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 12:51
Apr 28, 2023, 12:51

I never though I'd be crying reading this site today. So sorry Blue. I've always had a softer spot for animals than most humans, and hearing about this stuff really gets to me, even if I've never met them.

I dread the day I'll have to face this with my fuzzy girl (which hopefully shouldn't be for many years), I'll just be a slobbering mess.

Apr 28, 2023, 12:02
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 12:02
Apr 28, 2023, 12:02

I am deeply sorry, Blue. Losing a friend, be it four legged or two legged, is always brutal and tough. Unfortunately, that's the price we pay for having the unconditional friendship and love of our canine companions. In my estimation, however, it is a price worth paying for the joy and connection we get to experience with them.

/-=-\

Maybe it was just me but I wasn't that impressed with the "Restoration of Picard's Enterprise-D" short. Seeing demo reels of what UE5 can do has spoiled me, I guess. I'd have been more interested in seeing the actual reconstruction of the ship even if I deeply dislike the Galaxy-class starships in Star Trek.

/-=-\

"Tipping culture" has gotten out of control to the point it is approaching the level of satire. I agree with this statement from the article "...they want workers to earn a livable wage but believe that employers, and especially big corporations, should pay their workers higher wages, instead of offloading the burden onto consumers...". Maybe it's just because I am old and crotchety but I am absolutely not tipping someone who's job it is to run a cash register. You ring up an item, I pay you, you hand me the item, and our business is concluded. If you need a higher wage, take it up with your boss or find a better paying job. Nothing in that exchange requires a tip. Especially so if management is taking a cut of those tips or they are pooled and aggregated among the entire staff. A maitre d' or wait staff? Cash and discretely handed directly to them and, if I ask for something out of the norm, the tip goes up because I am asking for something above and beyond their AoR. That seems right and fair to me. "Social pressure" can EABOD, too. Who gives a shit what the mouthbreather in the line behind you thinks? You do what you want in your exchange and leave other people the fuck alone.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Apr 28, 2023, 11:58
Re: OotB: R.I.P. Jedi Apr 28, 2023, 11:58
Apr 28, 2023, 11:58

I'm sorry, Blue
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older