NVIDIA: Crypto "Doesn't Bring Anything Useful"

An interview on The Guardian talks tech with Michael Kagan, the chief technology officer at NVIDIA. The headline quote from the story is Kagan's assertion that cryptocurrencies do not "bring anything useful for society," despite how crypto-driven demand for NVIDIA GPUs has done wonders for the company's bottom line for years. In contrast, he speaks positively about ChatGPT, saying AI is actually useful:
The first version ChatGPT was trained on a supercomputer made up of about 10,000 Nvidia graphics cards.

“All this crypto stuff, it needed parallel processing, and [Nvidia] is the best, so people just programmed it to use for this purpose. They bought a lot of stuff, and then eventually it collapsed, because it doesn’t bring anything useful for society. AI does,” Kagan told the Guardian.

“With ChatGPT, everybody can now create his own machine, his own programme: you just tell it what to do, and it will. And if it doesn’t work the way you want it to, you tell it ‘I want something different’.”
View : : :

Re: NVIDIA on Crypto
Mar 28, 2023, 09:53
Re: NVIDIA on Crypto Mar 28, 2023, 09:53
Mar 28, 2023, 09:53

So ChatGPT... it seems to aggregate the interweb and provides a single answer as opposed to say a Google search that provides a list of multiple "answers". Is the single answer correct? It seems like a step back to me? Until it becomes conscious and I can have a meaningful relationship with it, it is just another search engine to me. Like having a PA do a Google search and compile the info into a useful report.

After the bloodbath/correction in Crypto I am sure people will be cautious until the next greed cycle happens again. The trick seems to be to get in and out at the right time which is speculation, like betting on the corrupt horse racing industry. The underlying block-chain tech is useful though for other reasons. Strange indeed Nvidia is asserting that after having profited from proof of work using their GPUs crypto has benefited them financially. Maybe the proof of stake has decreased the demand for their hardware and now they are looking forward to other use cases for their hardware, such as AI.

Edit: The thing with the latest 'AI' bandwagon that bothers me, is that the AI uses human produced articles and online knowledge to draw its conclusions. In a future where AI continues to do that and NOT draw its own conclusions, the next generation will produce less articles and knowledge to fuel it and the world will become a dumber place. Just like the 'wise' younger generation currently who feel clever when the can simply Google something as opposed to older generations where experience and life experience was valued.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2023, 11:13.
Date
Subject
Author
Mar 28, 2023Mar 28 2023
Mar 28, 2023Mar 28 2023
Re: NVIDIA on Crypto
Mar 28, 2023Mar 28 2023
Mar 28, 2023Mar 28 2023
Mar 28, 2023Mar 28 2023