new video from Coffee Stain Studios
holds the announcement that
is getting an upgrade to Unreal Engine 5 (thanks Anders). The
factory simulation is currently in Early Access
And while a prerelease engine switch can often derail a project for years, word
is the new engine will be introduced in the game's upcoming Update 8. This will
launch first in the game's Experimental branch, and it is warned that to start
it will be "really, really experimental" and that this will involve growing
pains. It is not specified when this will launch, but the video makes it sound
imminent, going so far as to warn users to back up their saves. The lengthy
video digs into the various improvements the new engine will bring, and various
ups and downs to expect. Here are the high points from the summary at the end:
- Growing pains from the launch on experimental are expected. "This also
includes dedicated servers."
- It is believed the game will benefit greatly in the long run.
- Unreal Engine 5 brings a "slew" of new features.
- The Experimental launch will include "similar or worse performance" for
some. But it will improve over time.
- Mods "will for sure break." It will be up to the modding community to
work though these problems.