Star Citizen Adds Persistence

A new alpha patch arrived Saturday in Star Citizen, updating the space-based everything to all people game to version 3.18. As noted, this update is called "Lasting Memories," as it adds Persistent Entity Streaming (PES) promising "real, universal persistence." Word is: "With this new tech, all physical objects moved or placed by players will be dynamically tracked on the server they were moved on and remain in their new locations." So the good news is this is further progress towards the game's ambitions. The bad news is familiar, and also relates to persistence. The crowdfunded game is now on year 11 of what was originally planned as a two-year development cycle and it's not in beta yet. Here's the Lasting Legacies Trailer and here's more:
Cloud Imperium Games (CIG) today announced the release of the Star Citizen – Alpha 3.18: Lasting Legacies update. Available now, Lasting Legacies marks a giant technical leap forward on Star Citizen’s journey to deliver real, universal persistence with the addition of Persistent Entity Streaming (PES). With this new tech, all physical objects moved or placed by players will be dynamically tracked on the server they were moved on and remain in their new locations. Players can now leave their mark for other players to find or encounter the aftermath of other players’ actions when they log in, creating one of the most immersive and “lived-in” experiences ever seen in games. PES represents the largest significant technical update in the game’s history and is a critical addition in laying the foundation for full in-game persistence and Server Meshing that will unlock a new level of immersion in the ‘verse.
View : : :
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen Adds Persistence
Mar 13, 2023, 14:04
Re: Star Citizen Adds Persistence Mar 13, 2023, 14:04
Mar 13, 2023, 14:04

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 13, 2023, 13:48:
fujiJuice wrote on Mar 13, 2023, 12:43:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 13, 2023, 11:35:
All of these were known documented issues and posted in the Known Issues patch notes on the Test Server, and all of them went to the live server.
Again we asked/begged that they wait another week to keep working on the patches but nope.

Getting very hard to defend Star Citizen with shit like this.

I think it is safe to say one more week anywhere in the dev timeline isn't going to help anything.

So on the PTU (test server) there was a list of known issues. But the problem was there was another release patch that the PTU didn't test and it fucked up so much shit.

So the patch was released Friday and myself and my org got on and everything was REALLY AWESOME. We played for about 8 hours, no crashes, some minor issues that had work arounds but it was great. But about 2 hours later the server had enough and reacted like being hit by one of those Rocket Sleds on Mythbusters. And the dev team is searching the wreckage trying to put it all back to the parts back together and like trying to glue something back together there is always going to be some missing bits, but those bits are critical to the game operating.
Business as usual at CIG.
Now, let's call "that guy" three times.

Derek Smart...

Mar 13, 2023, 13:48
Re: Star Citizen Adds Persistence Mar 13, 2023, 13:48
Mar 13, 2023, 13:48

All of these were known documented issues and posted in the Known Issues patch notes on the Test Server, and all of them went to the live server.
Again we asked/begged that they wait another week to keep working on the patches but nope.

I think it is safe to say one more week anywhere in the dev timeline isn't going to help anything.

So on the PTU (test server) there was a list of known issues. But the problem was there was another release patch that the PTU didn't test and it fucked up so much shit.

So the patch was released Friday and myself and my org got on and everything was REALLY AWESOME. We played for about 8 hours, no crashes, some minor issues that had work arounds but it was great. But about 2 hours later the server had enough and reacted like being hit by one of those Rocket Sleds on Mythbusters. And the dev team is searching the wreckage trying to put it all back to the parts back together and like trying to glue something back together there is always going to be some missing bits, but those bits are critical to the game operating.

Mar 13, 2023, 12:54
Jim
Re: Star Citizen Adds Persistence Mar 13, 2023, 12:54
Mar 13, 2023, 12:54
Jim

Persistent item streaming to all clients connecting to the same location, what can possibly go wrong? By the scope creep masters.

Mar 13, 2023, 12:52
Re: Star Citizen Adds Persistence Mar 13, 2023, 12:52
Mar 13, 2023, 12:52

Look how far they've come after a decade of "one more weeking" it. Wink
What they really need is more money.
That's sure to fix problems that might crop up, along with one more week.

“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Mar 13, 2023, 12:43
Re: Star Citizen Adds Persistence Mar 13, 2023, 12:43
Mar 13, 2023, 12:43

Mar 13, 2023, 12:16
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Adds Persistence Mar 13, 2023, 12:16
Mar 13, 2023, 12:16
 Kxmode

Oh this is gonna be good. Popcorn
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Mar 13, 2023, 11:35
Re: Star Citizen Adds Persistence Mar 13, 2023, 11:35
Mar 13, 2023, 11:35

3.18 was not ready. We told the dev's and they didn't listen. "We don't want to rush things. Expect a turbulent launch." was the last post before 3.18 went live and it's been a complete clusterfuck. Since it's launch Friday it's been a "Choose your own adventure" game with all endings leaving you unable to play the game and get stranded.

So here's the entire bullshit with the "persistent universe" is that unlike most games that have servers. the goal is to have no servers, BUT there are servers and the ONLY way your shit persists is if you log back onto that server/shard. and the only way for that to happen consistantly is if you were in a party with someone and join back on the same shard AND if there is room on the server.

So here is some of the fun fun cluster fuck thing going on.
1) Can't call in a ship at a ASOP terminal (terminal to call in a ship to go anywhere).
2) Getting stuck so you can't leave the seat of your ship (there is a work around, and if you are in a turret there is no way out at all except exiting the game).
3) Inventory not loading. So say ya die and go back to a medical facility, you get a starting undersuit and helmet, which will not load so you are naked.
4) Mission Objective (like boarding a ship, or baddies in a bunker) not loading in at all.
5) Salvaging ships (stripping down ships for salvage commodity) was introduced, but there are only 2 ships that can do it and only 1 is buyable in game the other is with real cash. The one you can buy in game's main elevator to get around the ship is fucked.
6) One of the most versatile ships in the game the Cutty Black's pilot seat will slowly start killing you at random, combine with 2 and you're fucked.

Mar 13, 2023, 11:19
El Pit

Re: Star Citizen Adds Persistence Mar 13, 2023, 11:19
Mar 13, 2023, 11:19
 El Pit

No pathtracing? No? This thing needs pathtracing! Imagine the light breaking in the physically correct melting ice cubes - this is what gaming is all about! Noone should buy a game without physically correct melting ice cubes and sunlight breaking in the cubes correctly. I, for one, would offer to travel the world and have drinks with ice cubes in all the bars in the destinations I would visit and to take pictures or even videos and send them to the new development studios "Melting Ice Ltd." and "Prism Effect Ltd." that will get funded with another few $100 million donations. I would do this for cheap: I would say $20,000 per month plus all expenses get paid by the whal... uhm... the fans. Via crowdfunding. I'm off to the airport, you can call me on my cell, Chris.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Mar 13, 2023, 11:11
Re: Star Citizen Adds Persistence Mar 13, 2023, 11:11
Mar 13, 2023, 11:11

Okay, now I want to play the game just to be the troll that piles shit up in stupid places, blocking the doors.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Mar 13, 2023, 10:58
Re: Star Citizen Adds Persistence Mar 13, 2023, 10:58
Mar 13, 2023, 10:58

Yeah, Persistently delaying the game that seemingly will never come out, but they sure are Persistently trying to gouge their fans for money.

They should add a new meaning to the dictionary for this and Add Chris Roberts name.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older