On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success

CNN Business reports on the strong early success of Hogwarts Legacy despite the facts that the game has been embroiled in controversy and its official launch won't arrive for another couple of hours. But the Early Access release for Digital Deluxe Edition customers began on Tuesday, and reportedly "already broke a record on Twitch for being the most-watched single-player game." The article also has a summary of the background controversy, and efforts by the creators of the game at distancing it from J.K. Rowling's rhetoric:
Part of the game’s expectation is based on controversy surrounding Harry Potter’s creator — J.K. Rowling. The author has repeatedly made anti-trans comments, and some of the movies’ actors have spoken out against them. Some gamers also are boycotting Hogwarts Legacy over the controversy.

“It’s not a commercial risk so much as is a cultural one,” van Dreunen said of the game’s release.

The game features a trans character, a first for the franchise. Though the Hogwarts Legacy character Sirona Ryan does not explicitly say she is trans, dialogue in a scene suggests it: “[It] took them a second to realize I was actually a witch, not a wizard,” the character said.

Warner Bros. Discovery said creating diverse characters was a high priority in order to encompass all people who play the games including the LGBTQIA+ community.

The company says J.K. Rowling is not involved in the Hogwarts Legacy game. But she does stand to make licensing royalties. Some fans have been turned off to the franchise because of Rowling’s comments, others say they won’t let that get in the way of experiencing a new world of Harry Potter.
View : : :
105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success
Feb 12, 2023, 15:32
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 12, 2023, 15:32
Feb 12, 2023, 15:32

Welcome GHOB

Feb 12, 2023, 15:06
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 12, 2023, 15:06
Feb 12, 2023, 15:06

Quboid wrote on Feb 12, 2023, 14:47:
FloodAnxiety wrote on Feb 12, 2023, 13:05:
GHOB wrote on Feb 12, 2023, 04:20:
Long time reader, first time poster. I've watched the Harry Potter movies but I can't say that I'm any kind of a super fan.

If the controversy wasn't there, it probably wouldn't have showed up on my radar and now that I've been told by a bunch of people that it in fact is a good game, I may actually buy it.

No one is going to convince the other side that their side is right on the trans debate (Highly unlikely anyways). It's too bad that some people cant separate the art from the artist and appreciate the art for what it is. It's their loss I guess.
I understand the idea of separating the art from the artist, but when it comes to financial support, it's not just about appreciating the art. It's important to consider the actions and beliefs of the artist and how they might use their money and power to cause harm to marginalized communities. So while we can appreciate the art, our financial decisions can have consequences and should align with our values.

How much money does JKR make per copy? How valuable is supporting a game with a trans character? I dislike JKR but if the game interested me I'd buy it (the open world looks cool, but the gameplay and lore doesn't interest me). Maybe I'd throw a few bucks to a trans rights organisation, which would do far more good than any harm done by purchasing the game - which I suspect is approximately zero.

I find this whole situation dumb and overstated. The boycott is doing basically nothing, the backlash is doing basically nothing, it's just generating hot air.
I understand your perspective, and it's great that you are considering seeking answers to inform your decision. It's also important to keep in mind that the impact of our individual choices can have a larger impact when considered collectively. While it may seem like a small decision to not support something that goes against our personal beliefs, the sum of these decisions can lead to meaningful change. I encourage you to continue to seek answers and make informed choices that align with your personal values.

Feb 12, 2023, 14:47
Quboid

Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 12, 2023, 14:47
Feb 12, 2023, 14:47
 Quboid

FloodAnxiety wrote on Feb 12, 2023, 13:05:
Long time reader, first time poster. I've watched the Harry Potter movies but I can't say that I'm any kind of a super fan.

If the controversy wasn't there, it probably wouldn't have showed up on my radar and now that I've been told by a bunch of people that it in fact is a good game, I may actually buy it.

No one is going to convince the other side that their side is right on the trans debate (Highly unlikely anyways). It's too bad that some people cant separate the art from the artist and appreciate the art for what it is. It's their loss I guess.
I understand the idea of separating the art from the artist, but when it comes to financial support, it's not just about appreciating the art. It's important to consider the actions and beliefs of the artist and how they might use their money and power to cause harm to marginalized communities. So while we can appreciate the art, our financial decisions can have consequences and should align with our values.

How much money does JKR make per copy? How valuable is supporting a game with a trans character? I dislike JKR but if the game interested me I'd buy it (the open world looks cool, but the gameplay and lore doesn't interest me). Maybe I'd throw a few bucks to a trans rights organisation, which would do far more good than any harm done by purchasing the game - which I suspect is approximately zero.

I find this whole situation dumb and overstated. The boycott is doing basically nothing, the backlash is doing basically nothing, it's just generating hot air.

Feb 12, 2023, 13:05
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 12, 2023, 13:05
Feb 12, 2023, 13:05

Feb 12, 2023, 04:20
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 12, 2023, 04:20
Feb 12, 2023, 04:20

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2023, 04:34.

Feb 11, 2023, 22:08
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 11, 2023, 22:08
Feb 11, 2023, 22:08

💯 Next up, 200
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success
Feb 11, 2023, 22:06
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 11, 2023, 22:06
Feb 11, 2023, 22:06

SMITE wrote on Feb 11, 2023, 05:32:
Quinn wrote on Feb 11, 2023, 01:45:
Thanks for taking on this fight, man. I just can't deal with the way some people think, anymore. You don't know it, but you've been the proxy of my calmer thoughts this entire thread. I'm just fucking done with the idiocy to be civilized about it.

At the risk of sounding sentimental, I really appreciate hearing you say that, Quinn. It's easy to feel like we're alone in this when the other side has such a monopoly on the discourse, when they have on their side the entirety of the mainstream media (obviously including the gaming press), academia, institutions both public and private, the medical establishment, the federal government, etc. But we're not alone. It just feels like that because we don't have their megaphones, and because there are a lot of people IRL who see what's wrong but just want to keep their heads down. To keep the digital mob from their door. To keep from losing their jobs. But silent or not there are still more of us than there are of them and it's important to remember that, so we don't feel isolated or cut off. And I do think we should try to keep our cool. We're never going to win over the fanatics, but there are a lot of other people who never get to see our side of the debate presented in a reasoned and considerate way. Not that I always live up to that ideal. Far from it. Having said all that ... I told Blue I would take a break from posting (see the "etc" thread) and stop engaging directly in the gender debate here altogether. It is obviously making it a lot harder for him to moderate these threads and I do feel bad about that. Yes, I know the opposition likely won't adopt the same attitude, but ... let them. The truth will come out eventually and then it won't matter what they say. At least I hope so. Anyway, I'm signing off for a bit. (You should check out this thread about the media and the Hogwarts "controversy" on Neogaf. A few more kindred spirits there. https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ign-afraid-of-reviewing-hogwarts-legacy.1651631/ )
Mainstream media, academia, institutions, and the medical establishment are reliable sources that distinguish fact from fiction. When you claim they are against you, it suggests that your beliefs may not be accurate.

Your statement of feeling both isolated and outnumbered, yet suggesting that more people are on your side, creates a contradiction that is obvious to everyone but you. Instead, it is better to focus on evaluating the truth of the claims made rather than try to paint yourself as both the the unpopular victim as well as the popular hero.

Mentioning "keeping their heads down" is a way of acknowledging that promoting hateful rhetoric comes with consequences. It is important to move beyond hate towards marginalized groups and strive for a more inclusive and respectful society.

Feb 11, 2023, 18:08
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 11, 2023, 18:08
Feb 11, 2023, 18:08

I'd just like to take a moment to say, I haven't read any of the posts in any of the Hogwarts topics. And I am guessing that was a fantastic decision.

Now back your normally scheduled nonsense (at least I am assuming..).
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

removed
Feb 11, 2023, 18:00
removed Feb 11, 2023, 18:00
Feb 11, 2023, 18:00

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Feb 11, 2023, 18:08. Reason: Unhijacking the thread

removed
Feb 11, 2023, 13:02
removed Feb 11, 2023, 13:02
Feb 11, 2023, 13:02

* REMOVED *

removed
Feb 11, 2023, 12:45
removed Feb 11, 2023, 12:45
Feb 11, 2023, 12:45

* REMOVED *

Feb 11, 2023, 09:51
Dev
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 11, 2023, 09:51
Feb 11, 2023, 09:51
Dev

Prez wrote on Feb 11, 2023, 02:30:
Haven't tried Days Gone yet - that one kind of flew under my radar. I love open world games (that aren't Ubisoft cut and paste crap) but my favorites are the fantasy ones because so much unexpected fantastical things can happen.
I enjoyed Days Gone and it's very positive rating on steam of 92% is about right I'd say. It's one of the rare games I've actually finished. Almost all the games Sony has brought over from Playstation in the last couple years have been great to excellent. Such as Horizon Zero dawn, and I cannot wait for The Last of Us

Feb 11, 2023, 07:16
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 11, 2023, 07:16
Feb 11, 2023, 07:16

I don't know how that was a personal attack, but let me try again.

Smite, you keep saying that you know what antisemitism is better than anyone else here because you're Jewish.

But you're not trans. Perhaps you should apply that logic to when trans people say something is transphobic.

And I have no clue why you keep going back to the "gender debate." That is way more broad than whether her comments are transphobic or not. And, again, maybe you should consider that you don't have as much experience in how large a spectrum gender may be as you do in being Jewish. I've tried to reign you and the others in a few times, but you guys keep trying to go from "is it transphobic to say no one is allowed to say they're a woman anymore" to "transphobia doesn't even exist and blah blah blah," things that are distractions and that people here maybe aren't really well read up on, don't have experience with any trans people, and are relying upon innate knowledge and emotions to define (on either side) and will never be resolved here

Feb 11, 2023, 06:09
Enahs

Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 11, 2023, 06:09
Feb 11, 2023, 06:09
 Enahs

I read half of the comments, but then I ran out of time. I know literally nothing about the comments of Rowling, nor really the controversy around this game, or even if the game is good. I just wanted to throw fuel on the fire by stating my opinion, that in general, the Harry Potter franchise is vastly overrated and not worth any of this time and effort in any shape, form, media format, etc.

Am I now the biggest villain on BluesNews?
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Feb 11, 2023, 05:32
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 11, 2023, 05:32
Feb 11, 2023, 05:32

Quinn wrote on Feb 11, 2023, 01:45:
Thanks for taking on this fight, man. I just can't deal with the way some people think, anymore. You don't know it, but you've been the proxy of my calmer thoughts this entire thread. I'm just fucking done with the idiocy to be civilized about it.

At the risk of sounding sentimental, I really appreciate hearing you say that, Quinn. It's easy to feel like we're alone in this when the other side has such a monopoly on the discourse, when they have on their side the entirety of the mainstream media (obviously including the gaming press), academia, institutions both public and private, the medical establishment, the federal government, etc. But we're not alone. It just feels like that because we don't have their megaphones, and because there are a lot of people IRL who see what's wrong but just want to keep their heads down. To keep the digital mob from their door. To keep from losing their jobs. But silent or not there are still more of us than there are of them and it's important to remember that, so we don't feel isolated or cut off. And I do think we should try to keep our cool. We're never going to win over the fanatics, but there are a lot of other people who never get to see our side of the debate presented in a reasoned and considerate way. Not that I always live up to that ideal. Far from it. Having said all that ... I told Blue I would take a break from posting (see the "etc" thread) and stop engaging directly in the gender debate here altogether. It is obviously making it a lot harder for him to moderate these threads and I do feel bad about that. Yes, I know the opposition likely won't adopt the same attitude, but ... let them. The truth will come out eventually and then it won't matter what they say. At least I hope so. Anyway, I'm signing off for a bit. (You should check out this thread about the media and the Hogwarts "controversy" on Neogaf. A few more kindred spirits there. https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ign-afraid-of-reviewing-hogwarts-legacy.1651631/ )

Feb 11, 2023, 02:30
Prez

Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 11, 2023, 02:30
Feb 11, 2023, 02:30
 Prez

I'll throw in a couple suggestions that came up when I searched for open world tag on steam, not sure what specifically you are looking for.
Spiderman Miles Morales, Days Gone, Witcher 3 with the new texture packs, Grounded (has been fully released recently), Warsim
Note: I've not played all the above yet, though I own most of them.

I already played Witcher 3 and Miles Morales. Haven't tried Days Gone yet - that one kind of flew under my radar. I love open world games (that aren't Ubisoft cut and paste crap) but my favorites are the fantasy ones because so much unexpected fantastical things can happen. Elden Rings and Harry Potter's worlds look to be amazing. Witcher 3 is my current gold standard.

As for trying Elden Ring, I can just see myself getting immensely frustrated with it.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 11, 2023, 01:45
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 11, 2023, 01:45
Feb 11, 2023, 01:45

SMITE wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 19:50:
Beamer wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 19:24:
Some of you just don't want to admit anything can be bad against anyone not you

What the hell do you mean, "anyone not you?" Who are you to lecture us in this way?

I'm Jewish, so it would be against me, but the accusations of antisemitism against Rowling are insubstantial bullshit and all your talk of "tropes" can't change that.

You guys will throw anything you can at your perceived enemies in the hope that it will stick. But you don't really give a shit about antisemitism, Beamer. You only care about it when it can be used to smear someone you disagree with. You would never go after someone on your own side with a charge like that. Illhan Omar, say. You're a tribalist, through and through. No principles, only in-groups and out-groups. Your side (good) and the other side (bad).

I am not going to get into a discussion about the iconography of goblins, save to say that sometimes a goblin is just…a goblin. Besides, whatever visual impression Mr Stewart may have had from the film, JK Rowling neither directed nor designed it; and there is nothing in any of the books that is even glancingly antisemitic.

The reality is that none of this is actually about goblins or even about Harry Potter. It’s about feminism and the ideological obsession of those who consider sex to be a construct rather than a biological fact.

https://unherd.com/thepost/jk-rowling-is-no-antisemite/

Feb 11, 2023, 00:41
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 11, 2023, 00:41
Feb 11, 2023, 00:41

Hardline Mike wrote on Feb 11, 2023, 00:20:
People posting Harry Potter spoilers?!

I guess I'll post one too...

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!
You're a decade and change late. The problem of course is that TRA's believe they have huge numbers, anyone who's paid attention knows that's a pile of crap. They hoped that people would support them, instead, it's the exact opposite because of their actions over the last 2 years. Getting to the point that even the LGB community has had enough, feminists have had enough, and normies have had enough. So, now that their "boycott" failed, their only option left is to try to ruin the game.

Should have listened, it's way too late now. You can taste the backlash building over TRA's, caused by their own actions. This will simply push more people against them, and the crying will be massive.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Feb 11, 2023, 00:20
NKD
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 11, 2023, 00:20
Feb 11, 2023, 00:20
NKD

People posting Harry Potter spoilers?!

I guess I'll post one too...

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Feb 10, 2023, 23:10
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 10, 2023, 23:10
Feb 10, 2023, 23:10

FloorPie wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 19:06:
I got a good laugh last night watching a twitch streamer get hit with a spammer named "terfsbad" who spoiled the story with about 20 posts quickly before the moderators banned them.

Yes, this is the latest tactic. The boycott obviously didn't work and targeting and harassing streamers didn't work, so now the thing is to try to spoil the game for anyone playing it.

I really hope this stuff backfires on the fanatics. People don't like being told what they can and can not like, and they definitely don't like being threatened and harassed. Or spoilers, for that matter.
105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older