On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success

CNN Business reports on the strong early success of Hogwarts Legacy despite the facts that the game has been embroiled in controversy and its official launch won't arrive for another couple of hours. But the Early Access release for Digital Deluxe Edition customers began on Tuesday, and reportedly "already broke a record on Twitch for being the most-watched single-player game." The article also has a summary of the background controversy, and efforts by the creators of the game at distancing it from J.K. Rowling's rhetoric:
Part of the game’s expectation is based on controversy surrounding Harry Potter’s creator — J.K. Rowling. The author has repeatedly made anti-trans comments, and some of the movies’ actors have spoken out against them. Some gamers also are boycotting Hogwarts Legacy over the controversy.

“It’s not a commercial risk so much as is a cultural one,” van Dreunen said of the game’s release.

The game features a trans character, a first for the franchise. Though the Hogwarts Legacy character Sirona Ryan does not explicitly say she is trans, dialogue in a scene suggests it: “[It] took them a second to realize I was actually a witch, not a wizard,” the character said.

Warner Bros. Discovery said creating diverse characters was a high priority in order to encompass all people who play the games including the LGBTQIA+ community.

The company says J.K. Rowling is not involved in the Hogwarts Legacy game. But she does stand to make licensing royalties. Some fans have been turned off to the franchise because of Rowling’s comments, others say they won’t let that get in the way of experiencing a new world of Harry Potter.
View : : :
105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success
Feb 10, 2023, 16:58
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 10, 2023, 16:58
Feb 10, 2023, 16:58

Anyone notice anything missing from the Eurogamer front page?

https://www.eurogamer.net/

Something's missing ... I just can't put my finger on what it could be.

EDIT: Gamespot too. It looks like most or maybe even all of the bigger sites are pretending this game doesn't exist, even as gamers themselves are raving about it. How long can the anti-Hogwarts sites keep it up? How long can they mirror an alternative universe in which a game called Hogwart's Legacy isn't garnering positive reviews and massive sales?

It's an interesting experiment to witness.

Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success
Feb 10, 2023, 16:57
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 16:57
Feb 10, 2023, 16:57

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 11:12:
I'll stock up on extinguishers for the inevitable dumpster fire.
We've reached 🧯🧯🧯🧯
You're good at this.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Feb 10, 2023, 16:51
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 16:51
Feb 10, 2023, 16:51

FloodAnxiety wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 15:28:
There ARE individuals who make conscious choices not to purchase games from certain companies due to their actions or beliefs, and that is a valid personal decision even if you are not counted among those individuals.

It sounds so benign the way you describe it. But what about those individuals who are making conscious choices to target and harass other people simply for playing the game? Just like they will target and harass anyone who disagrees with their views? They're playing a role in this "controversy" too.

https://tinyurl.com/39drud8y

What about them? Are they also making a "valid personal decision?"

removed
Feb 10, 2023, 16:48
removed Feb 10, 2023, 16:48
Feb 10, 2023, 16:48

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Feb 10, 2023, 16:55. Reason: Intolerance (rule 2)

removed
Feb 10, 2023, 16:42
removed Feb 10, 2023, 16:42
Feb 10, 2023, 16:42

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Feb 10, 2023, 16:55. Reason: Intolerance (rule 2)

Dammit, now I feel guilty
Feb 10, 2023, 15:58
Dammit, now I feel guilty Feb 10, 2023, 15:58
Feb 10, 2023, 15:58

I immediately bought Duke Nukem Forever when it came out because I felt obligated to help George Broussard and company to help pay for all the hookers and blow that they must have gone through in the 13 years they worked on the project, please forgive me
With a damaged Panzer still hunting 'The Haunted Tank' and Gus out of ammo, Jeb knew there was only one option, "Slim, RAM!"

Feb 10, 2023, 15:53
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 10, 2023, 15:53
Feb 10, 2023, 15:53

i'm harry pottery-ing the fuck out of this game right now. The attention to detail oddly reminds me a bit of red dead, and the game runs relatively great on my aged 2080ti/i7 6 core proc at 60fps@4k(dlss quality 1440p upscaled w/settings at high)pleasantly surprised. Congratulations to this team cause they've certainly punched above their weight here.

Feb 10, 2023, 15:43
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 10, 2023, 15:43
Feb 10, 2023, 15:43

This is a big, open world Harry Potter game that is, by most accounts, quite good. The game was bound to be a huge success. What I find impressive is how Avalanche Software, a company that has pushed out nothing but mediocre Disney games over the last 15 years or so, managed to succeed with a relatively ambitious product. JK sucks, but good for Avalanche Software.

Feb 10, 2023, 15:42
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 15:42
Feb 10, 2023, 15:42

Ozmodan wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 15:10:
FloodAnxiety wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 13:21:
The Half Elf wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 12:19:
Darks wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 11:01:
All this hate towards her is doing nothing but driving up the interest and sales of the game. I was in a Twitch steam yesterday for giveaways cosmetics, and there were over 52000 people watching that stream. And that was just one stream!

I know a lot of people who are purposely buying the game just to spite those who are against it, and not one of them has regretted their purchase because the game is that good and fun.

Steam has reported the game had over 489.000 people playing the game, and that is just the Early access people, image how many more will be online today when it goes live.

People are buying the game "just out of spite"? Really?

Maybe there are just people who can actually compartmentalize their enjoyment of the game/franchise vs what the creator of it says? I mean it's a much simpler reason. Not everyone has to have an agenda.
You say that like being able to compartmentalize is a good thing that should be encouraged.

It is certainly possible for individuals to separate their enjoyment of a game or franchise from the opinions or actions of its creator. However, this choice can be seen as selfish and hypocritical because it prioritizes one's own desire for temporary enjoyment over the impact that their actions have on supporting something that may go against their personal beliefs and values. By choosing to play the game and provide financial support, despite knowing about the creator's opinions or actions, it can be seen as disregarding important values and perpetuating harmful behavior. This is similar to the phrase "stick your head in the sand," as it allows one to avoid facing the consequences of their actions and ignore the impact that they have on the world around them. Ultimately, it is up to each person to determine their own stance and make choices that align with their personal beliefs and values, considering the wider impact that their actions may have.

Wow what a word salad, are you related the the VP? Personally there are many people that do not view her comments as transphobic. I think those that are screaming boycott should get a life and stop being ridiculous. Missing out on a good game because of a few whiners is absurd.
People's decision to not play the game is not simply due to 'whiners,' but rather because it goes against their values and beliefs. Their choice is based on considering the impact of supporting something that they feel goes against their personal ethics, rather than just caving in to complaints.

Feb 10, 2023, 15:36
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 15:36
Feb 10, 2023, 15:36

heroin wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 15:32:
I was confused by who the developer of this game is - Avalanche Studios and Avalanche Software (the company that developed Hogwart's). Now I'm more thoroughly confused. I could have seen Avalanche Studios stepping up their game design massively to create this game but Avalanche Software, even more perplexing. There must be more to the story, the story people should have focused on instead of wanking off into the ether with gender bullshit/JK Rowling.

Sometimes devs are just making money projects for management and are creatively hamstrung, it shows in the finished product. Less of an extreme example but look at Tango Gameworks. They were making pretty average games until they were given some creative freedom and busted out Hi-Fi Rush which is heads and tails better than anything else they've done.

Feb 10, 2023, 15:35
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 15:35
Feb 10, 2023, 15:35

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 14:48:
All this hate towards her is doing nothing but driving up the interest and sales of the game. I was in a Twitch steam yesterday for giveaways cosmetics, and there were over 52000 people watching that stream. And that was just one stream!

I know a lot of people who are purposely buying the game just to spite those who are against it, and not one of them has regretted their purchase because the game is that good and fun.

Steam has reported the game had over 489.000 people playing the game, and that is just the Early access people, image how many more will be online today when it goes live.

Maybe there are just people who can actually compartmentalize their enjoyment of the game/franchise vs what the creator of it says? I mean it's a much simpler reason. Not everyone has to have an agenda.
You say that like being able to compartmentalize is a good thing that should be encouraged.

It is certainly possible for individuals to separate their enjoyment of a game or franchise from the opinions or actions of its creator. However, this choice can be seen as selfish and hypocritical because it prioritizes one's own desire for temporary enjoyment over the impact that their actions have on supporting something that may go against their personal beliefs and values. By choosing to play the game and provide financial support, despite knowing about the creator's opinions or actions, it can be seen as disregarding important values and perpetuating harmful behavior. This is similar to the phrase "stick your head in the sand," as it allows one to avoid facing the consequences of their actions and ignore the impact that they have on the world around them. Ultimately, it is up to each person to determine their own stance and make choices that align with their personal beliefs and values, considering the wider impact that their actions may have.

You my friend, should go live in a hut in the woods. Everything you buy supports bad things that happened in some way, shape, or form. To pretend otherwise is to truly stick your head in the sand. So you can try to enjoy life or go around hating everything.

For the record, I thing Rowling is generally intolerable. I don't find much of what she has said in the past to my liking. But I think it's terribly funny when the people who are all about respecting other peoples' opinions suddenly bust a vein over her opinions on trans people. God forbid someone not accept the groupthink on the subject and question things. Oh no, someone made fun of a stupid tweet! It's the end of the world and it's all JK Rowling's fault!!! BURN THE WITCH! Other her by labeling her a transphobe and trying to invalidate her viewpoint! Someone call OPRAH!

And yet, despite my disdain for her generally woke politics, I still like Harry Potter. It's not my favorite book series, but I find it entertaining and I enjoyed going to see the Harry Potter stuff at Universal, and I'm enjoying the shit out of this game.

PS, I think Tom Cruise is an utter wack-job whose "religion" is nothing more than a scammy cult started by a bad science fiction writer, but I still watch the shit out of his movies because they are very entertaining.
Your statement that everything we buy supports bad things is not accurate and holds an unhealthy viewpoint. There are choices we make to support values and beliefs that align with our personal principles. Your example of still watching Tom Cruise's movies despite disagreeing with his beliefs does not prove the point you think it does. It's important to be mindful of the impact our choices have on the world and make decisions that align with our values.

Feb 10, 2023, 15:32
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 15:32
Feb 10, 2023, 15:32

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 14:39:
Desalus wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 12:05:
It's a huge achievement for Avalanche Software. I certainly wasn't expecting Hogwarts Legacy to be as good as it turned out to be (based on reviews). I'm not a Harry Potter fan, but I'll buy it eventually since it's a genuinely good game.

Right? For a software company whose sole notable release was Disney: Infinity, which was a licensed knock off of Skylanders, this is super impressive.

I was confused by who the developer of this game is - Avalanche Studios and Avalanche Software (the company that developed Hogwart's). Now I'm more thoroughly confused. I could have seen Avalanche Studios stepping up their game design massively to create this game but Avalanche Software, even more perplexing. There must be more to the story, the story people should have focused on instead of wanking off into the ether with gender bullshit/JK Rowling.

Feb 10, 2023, 15:28
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 15:28
Feb 10, 2023, 15:28

Slashman wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 13:59:

Well then gamers are the very worst kind of scum aren't we? How many are still religiously playing WoW after knowing the things that went on at Blizzard? How many are going to pre-order and buy Diablo 4 day 1 despite Blizzard having a designated Cosby suite at their retreat?

There are so many of these companies that do/have done extremely disturbing and sleazy shit. Riot games? Ubisoft? How many of their games do you own or are planning to purchase in the near future (well maybe not Ubisoft with their current track record)?

JK Rowling is a nitwit and offensive. Fact. But are all of you really going to not just buy a Harry Potter game while enjoying the plethora of game offerings from so many publishers and studios out there who are all disgusting and depraved? That I would like to know.

I have seen this type of "outrage" so many times in games over the years and it all comes down to the fact that the majority of you will squint your eyes and order anything if you like the content enough. That's it. Trans struggle be damned.
Exaggerating and generalizing the actions of a group of individuals as the 'worst kind of scum' is unfair and unproductive. There ARE individuals who make conscious choices not to purchase games from certain companies due to their actions or beliefs, and that is a valid personal decision even if you are not counted among those individuals.

Feb 10, 2023, 15:10
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 15:10
Feb 10, 2023, 15:10

Wow what a word salad, are you related the the VP? Personally there are many people that do not view her comments as transphobic. I think those that are screaming boycott should get a life and stop being ridiculous. Missing out on a good game because of a few whiners is absurd.

removed
Feb 10, 2023, 15:04
removed Feb 10, 2023, 15:04
Feb 10, 2023, 15:04

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Feb 10, 2023, 15:19. Reason: We're not doing that debate

Feb 10, 2023, 14:48
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 14:48
Feb 10, 2023, 14:48

You my friend, should go live in a hut in the woods. Everything you buy supports bad things that happened in some way, shape, or form. To pretend otherwise is to truly stick your head in the sand. So you can try to enjoy life or go around hating everything.

For the record, I thing Rowling is generally intolerable. I don't find much of what she has said in the past to my liking. But I think it's terribly funny when the people who are all about respecting other peoples' opinions suddenly bust a vein over her opinions on trans people. God forbid someone not accept the groupthink on the subject and question things. Oh no, someone made fun of a stupid tweet! It's the end of the world and it's all JK Rowling's fault!!! BURN THE WITCH! Other her by labeling her a transphobe and trying to invalidate her viewpoint! Someone call OPRAH!

And yet, despite my disdain for her generally woke politics, I still like Harry Potter. It's not my favorite book series, but I find it entertaining and I enjoyed going to see the Harry Potter stuff at Universal, and I'm enjoying the shit out of this game.

PS, I think Tom Cruise is an utter wack-job whose "religion" is nothing more than a scammy cult started by a bad science fiction writer, but I still watch the shit out of his movies because they are very entertaining.

Feb 10, 2023, 14:44
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 14:44
Feb 10, 2023, 14:44

Beamer wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 13:38:
Why would you want to associate yourself with someone that bought a $70 game they were otherwise uninterested in because the person that makes $1 per sale or less said something that could rightfully or wrongfully demean and belittle other people?

Especially when you're someone that keeps complaining about politics in video games, why befriend people that spend their money deliberately to keep politics fueling video games?

The way you twist yourself into a pretzel in order to fit everything into a pre-assigned narrative never ceases to amaze me, Beamer.

I know you're not aware that you are doing this. The question is: could you become aware of it? Could you learn to see your own biases?

For instance, when you write:

Especially when you're someone that keeps complaining about politics in video games, why befriend people that spend their money deliberately to keep politics fueling video games?

You are taking an anecdote and reversing it to make it the opposite of what it is--flipping it upside down--so it will fit the point you want to make.

Hogwarts Legacy is being targeted soley for political/ideological reasons. No one has argued that there is anything inherently objectionable in the game itself. This "controversy" rests entirely on the fact the author of the books upon which the game is based disagrees with some aspects of gender ideology. (Since that's an objective, non-ideological description of what's going on, I'm sure you'll find it "problematic," so let me run it through my little woke translator. Beep boop beep! Okay. Here you go. "JK Rowling wants to genocide all trans people.")

In other words, there is no controversy about the content of the game, just the views of the author of the books upon which the game is based--views that are in no way reflected in the game itself. With me so far?

So when people complain about "politics in video games," this is exactly the sort of thing they are complaining about. So when they say: "Fuck it, I'm just going to buy the game to show that campaigns to inject politics into video games are stupid and counterproductive," they are not the ones "deliberately keeping politics fueling video games," to use your own awkward, tortured phrasing.

They are doing the exact opposite of that. They are voting, with their wallets, against the injection of politics into video games.

But you flipped it around. You're trying to make it seem like they're doing the exact same thing they're complaining about. But they're not. They're rejecting it.

You see this a lot with social justice types. They're just fighting for justice! They're just striving towards a better world full of compassion and justice for the downtrodden! But their evil opponents on the other hand, they're engaging in a culture war. They're just playing politics.

Also, just because I can't resist underlining your hypocrisy every time I see it ... weren't you just talking about how I'm overly focused on this issue? Like there's something suspicious about my interest in it.

And yet ... every time I get to one of these threads ... I find that you've already posted in it.

Kind of funny, don't you think?

Feb 10, 2023, 14:39
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 14:39
Feb 10, 2023, 14:39

Desalus wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 12:05:
It's a huge achievement for Avalanche Software. I certainly wasn't expecting Hogwarts Legacy to be as good as it turned out to be (based on reviews). I'm not a Harry Potter fan, but I'll buy it eventually since it's a genuinely good game.

Right? For a software company whose sole notable release was Disney: Infinity, which was a licensed knock off of Skylanders, this is super impressive.

Feb 10, 2023, 14:12
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 10, 2023, 14:12
Feb 10, 2023, 14:12

Ya can say FUCK all ya want but ya better toe the line when it comes to accepting abhorrent behavior. It was no jest

Feb 10, 2023, 14:03
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 14:03
Feb 10, 2023, 14:03

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 12:53:
Laughing Man wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 12:01:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 11:35:
Someone in my bubble... .When the statistical data point of one becomes many. sigh
It took me less than 5 minutes to find over 20 comments like he was saying existed on steam. But definitely his bubble, amirite?
I'd be interested in reading those. Could you link to them all?

Word of advice, don't read the Steam forums about the game. Spoilers in the titles 🤣
105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older