On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success

CNN Business reports on the strong early success of Hogwarts Legacy despite the facts that the game has been embroiled in controversy and its official launch won't arrive for another couple of hours. But the Early Access release for Digital Deluxe Edition customers began on Tuesday, and reportedly "already broke a record on Twitch for being the most-watched single-player game." The article also has a summary of the background controversy, and efforts by the creators of the game at distancing it from J.K. Rowling's rhetoric:
Part of the game’s expectation is based on controversy surrounding Harry Potter’s creator — J.K. Rowling. The author has repeatedly made anti-trans comments, and some of the movies’ actors have spoken out against them. Some gamers also are boycotting Hogwarts Legacy over the controversy.

“It’s not a commercial risk so much as is a cultural one,” van Dreunen said of the game’s release.

The game features a trans character, a first for the franchise. Though the Hogwarts Legacy character Sirona Ryan does not explicitly say she is trans, dialogue in a scene suggests it: “[It] took them a second to realize I was actually a witch, not a wizard,” the character said.

Warner Bros. Discovery said creating diverse characters was a high priority in order to encompass all people who play the games including the LGBTQIA+ community.

The company says J.K. Rowling is not involved in the Hogwarts Legacy game. But she does stand to make licensing royalties. Some fans have been turned off to the franchise because of Rowling’s comments, others say they won’t let that get in the way of experiencing a new world of Harry Potter.
View : : :
105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

removed
Feb 10, 2023, 22:30
removed Feb 10, 2023, 22:30
Feb 10, 2023, 22:30

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Feb 10, 2023, 22:49. Reason: Personal attacks (rule 1)

Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success
Feb 10, 2023, 21:55
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 10, 2023, 21:55
Feb 10, 2023, 21:55

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 18:31:
Dev wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 18:19:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 18:08:
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-mary-sue/
Not Great, Not Terrible
Appreciate it! It's nice to see a site that is keeping up with things like this.
I appreciate too that it mentions the bias the source tends to lean towards, every source of news is biased to some degree one way or the other, always best to look at multiple sources when possible.
This is definitely a site I need to remember.
Jdreyer turned me on to it.
👍
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Feb 10, 2023, 21:38
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 10, 2023, 21:38
Feb 10, 2023, 21:38

Eilidrill wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 20:53:
You shouldn't let any mob decide what you can or can not enjoy...read, play, color or create...

The hounds will not be released and no marginalized community will suffer if folks play a goofy video game...

Relax...
I appreciate the sentiment that no harm will be caused by playing the game, but it's also worth noting that choosing not to play the game will also result in no harm. Furthermore, it's important to consider that purchasing the game may indirectly support anti-trans lobbyists, which may not align with one's personal beliefs and values.

I understand the sentiment that playing a video game won't release any hounds, but it's important to consider that the consequences of supporting certain content or individuals may have real impacts, such as funding anti-trans lobbyists who have a history of causing harm to an already marginalized community. Informed decisions should not only consider personal enjoyment, but also the wider impact they may have.

It's important to consider all sides of a situation and have an open dialogue, instead of trying to dismiss or downplay the discussion about the potential consequences of our actions. This helps ensure that we're making informed decisions that align with our values.

Feb 10, 2023, 20:53
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 10, 2023, 20:53
Feb 10, 2023, 20:53

You shouldn't let any mob decide what you can or can not enjoy...read, play, color or create...

The hounds will not be released and no marginalized community will suffer if folks play a goofy video game...

Relax...

Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success
Feb 10, 2023, 20:41
Dev
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 20:41
Feb 10, 2023, 20:41
Dev

BigVlad wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 20:30:
Prez wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 19:58:
A little frustrated because this is the second straight game that is purported to have a good open world that isn't for me. Elden Ring is not my type of game because it's a souls-like, and this one because I'm not into Harry Potter.

Have you thought about taking a chance on Elden Ring anyway? I'm not into souls-like games either. Never played one before. Took a chance on Elden Ring and loved it. It's not perfect, but I can't remember the last game I played that I had as fun exploring as Elden Ring. I guess it would be Fallout 4 or Skyrim (Bethesda games are great exploration simulators).
I'll throw in a couple suggestions that came up when I searched for open world tag on steam, not sure what specifically you are looking for.
Spiderman Miles Morales, Days Gone, Witcher 3 with the new texture packs, Grounded (has been fully released recently), Warsim
Note: I've not played all the above yet, though I own most of them.

Feb 10, 2023, 20:30
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 20:30
Feb 10, 2023, 20:30

Prez wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 19:58:
A little frustrated because this is the second straight game that is purported to have a good open world that isn't for me. Elden Ring is not my type of game because it's a souls-like, and this one because I'm not into Harry Potter.

Have you thought about taking a chance on Elden Ring anyway? I'm not into souls-like games either. Never played one before. Took a chance on Elden Ring and loved it. It's not perfect, but I can't remember the last game I played that I had as fun exploring as Elden Ring. I guess it would be Fallout 4 or Skyrim (Bethesda games are great exploration simulators).

Feb 10, 2023, 19:58
Prez

Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 19:58
Feb 10, 2023, 19:58
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 10, 2023, 19:50
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 19:50
Feb 10, 2023, 19:50

Beamer wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 19:24:
Some of you just don't want to admit anything can be bad against anyone not you

What the hell do you mean, "anyone not you?" Who are you to lecture us in this way?

I'm Jewish, so it would be against me, but the accusations of antisemitism against Rowling are insubstantial bullshit and all your talk of "tropes" can't change that.

You guys will throw anything you can at your perceived enemies in the hope that it will stick. But you don't really give a shit about antisemitism, Beamer. You only care about it when it can be used to smear someone you disagree with. You would never go after someone on your own side with a charge like that. Illhan Omar, say. You're a tribalist, through and through. No principles, only in-groups and out-groups. Your side (good) and the other side (bad).

I am not going to get into a discussion about the iconography of goblins, save to say that sometimes a goblin is just…a goblin. Besides, whatever visual impression Mr Stewart may have had from the film, JK Rowling neither directed nor designed it; and there is nothing in any of the books that is even glancingly antisemitic.

The reality is that none of this is actually about goblins or even about Harry Potter. It’s about feminism and the ideological obsession of those who consider sex to be a construct rather than a biological fact.

https://unherd.com/thepost/jk-rowling-is-no-antisemite/

Feb 10, 2023, 19:24
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 19:24
Feb 10, 2023, 19:24

Wait, now people are denying the antisemitic tropes I'm Harry Potter?

Some people can't admit something has bad aspects unless they very deliberately put up neon signs saying it

Harry Potter has been rightfully criticized for those tropes from day 1. It doesn't mean it's antisemitic, just that it has those tropes.

Some of you just don't want to admit anything can be bad against anyone not you

Feb 10, 2023, 19:06
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 10, 2023, 19:06
Feb 10, 2023, 19:06

I got a good laugh last night watching a twitch streamer get hit with a spammer named "terfsbad" who spoiled the story with about 20 posts quickly before the moderators banned them. Streamer just laughed it off and said it didn't bother them because they were enjoying the game.

I'm not much of a HP fan but the game does look fun from what I've seen.

Feb 10, 2023, 19:03
Dev
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 19:03
Feb 10, 2023, 19:03
Dev

SMITE wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 18:44:
Dev wrote:
Why would I take those two seconds?

Why would you take those two seconds.

That's what you're asking me.

Why would you take two seconds before you start throwing around accusations of antisemitism, to check the sources of those accusations?

I don't know either, dude.

I can't think of a single good reason.

If I was doing a research project, or a jury I would exhaustively check all the sources, I've been in both of those situations before.
If I'm checking to see if there's any basis behind anti semitism stories of people I don't know personally, no I don't generally go to that extreme. Maybe that's a mistake

For instance, if I search for Kanye and antisemitism, I see a ton of results from multiple sources that talk about it. Including Jewish sources. They seem reasonably written, I don't feel the need to research details of a particular one, or named people in a particular one, I'm convinced Kanye is saying anti semitic things. I'm assuming that the articles aren't all made up. I've not heard anyone try to argue that they are.

I checked in the same manner for this when a picture came across my view of this in game artifact. I didn't immediately assume it was legit. When I searched, lots of sources seem to be saying it. I didn't feel the need to research details of a particular one, or named people in a particular one, I was convinced there was enough basis that JKR and the game had anti semitic tropes. I assumed those sources didn't make things up out of whole cloth. Was I wrong in doing this? Perhaps. I feel like the majority of people coming across this wouldn't have even gone to as much trouble as I did, let alone what you did. Among the many things I come across every day, do I do research level fact checking for the vast majority of them? No I do not.
Your response had me checking again, the additional source I checked, we already went through. The in game item seems problematic and sketchy to me.

Have you convinced me the game and JKR are NOT antisemitic? Eh, a random dev could have put that horn into the game knowingly or unknowningly. I already said they should take the easy way out and fix it to avoid the appearance of being anti semitic. I also already said that wouldn't affect other problems people have with the game. As for JKR, I'm not sure. She appears to have defended Jewish people. She could have unknowingly used goblin tropes. Or maybe she has changed her mind over the years, or maybe she is actually anti semitic, now I'm not sure. Will it actually change people's mind one way or the other about her or this game? I doubt this particular subject will have much effect compared to everything else that's being argued.

Feb 10, 2023, 18:52
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 18:52
Feb 10, 2023, 18:52

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 18:40:
FloodAnxiety wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 13:21:
The Half Elf wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 12:19:
Darks wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 11:01:
All this hate towards her is doing nothing but driving up the interest and sales of the game. I was in a Twitch steam yesterday for giveaways cosmetics, and there were over 52000 people watching that stream. And that was just one stream!

I know a lot of people who are purposely buying the game just to spite those who are against it, and not one of them has regretted their purchase because the game is that good and fun.

Steam has reported the game had over 489.000 people playing the game, and that is just the Early access people, image how many more will be online today when it goes live.

People are buying the game "just out of spite"? Really?

Maybe there are just people who can actually compartmentalize their enjoyment of the game/franchise vs what the creator of it says? I mean it's a much simpler reason. Not everyone has to have an agenda.
You say that like being able to compartmentalize is a good thing that should be encouraged.

It is certainly possible for individuals to separate their enjoyment of a game or franchise from the opinions or actions of its creator. However, this choice can be seen as selfish and hypocritical because it prioritizes one's own desire for temporary enjoyment over the impact that their actions have on supporting something that may go against their personal beliefs and values. By choosing to play the game and provide financial support, despite knowing about the creator's opinions or actions, it can be seen as disregarding important values and perpetuating harmful behavior. This is similar to the phrase "stick your head in the sand," as it allows one to avoid facing the consequences of their actions and ignore the impact that they have on the world around them. Ultimately, it is up to each person to determine their own stance and make choices that align with their personal beliefs and values, considering the wider impact that their actions may have.
Alternatively it could be argued that by not supporting this game for those reasons you're discounting the years of work that hundreds of people over at Avalanche Software put into what is by all accounts a good game chock full of diversity because of what the IP creator who didn't work on the game said a few years ago. How is it fair for those folks?

This in no way is an endorsement of Rowling's remarks. Just that the livelihood of hundreds of people relies on this game being successful, and it seems unfair to penalize their hard work for something they had nothing to do with.
I can understand and empathize with the perspective of the employees who have worked hard on the game and want to see it succeed. Their hard work and dedication should be acknowledged and respected. However, it's also important to keep in mind that the employees have likely already been paid for their work, and that additional sales of the game may not result in further compensation for them.

The responsibility for creating the controversy and potentially affecting the game's success lies with the IP owner and creator, not the gaming public. The latter has the right to make informed choices based on their personal beliefs and values, even if these choices may have wider impacts. It's important to consider all factors and make decisions that align with one's values and beliefs.

Feb 10, 2023, 18:44
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 18:44
Feb 10, 2023, 18:44

Dev wrote:
Why would I take those two seconds?

Why would you take those two seconds.

That's what you're asking me.

Why would you take two seconds before you start throwing around accusations of antisemitism, to check the sources of those accusations?

I don't know either, dude.

I can't think of a single good reason.

Feb 10, 2023, 18:40
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 18:40
Feb 10, 2023, 18:40

All this hate towards her is doing nothing but driving up the interest and sales of the game. I was in a Twitch steam yesterday for giveaways cosmetics, and there were over 52000 people watching that stream. And that was just one stream!

I know a lot of people who are purposely buying the game just to spite those who are against it, and not one of them has regretted their purchase because the game is that good and fun.

Steam has reported the game had over 489.000 people playing the game, and that is just the Early access people, image how many more will be online today when it goes live.

Maybe there are just people who can actually compartmentalize their enjoyment of the game/franchise vs what the creator of it says? I mean it's a much simpler reason. Not everyone has to have an agenda.
You say that like being able to compartmentalize is a good thing that should be encouraged.

It is certainly possible for individuals to separate their enjoyment of a game or franchise from the opinions or actions of its creator. However, this choice can be seen as selfish and hypocritical because it prioritizes one's own desire for temporary enjoyment over the impact that their actions have on supporting something that may go against their personal beliefs and values. By choosing to play the game and provide financial support, despite knowing about the creator's opinions or actions, it can be seen as disregarding important values and perpetuating harmful behavior. This is similar to the phrase "stick your head in the sand," as it allows one to avoid facing the consequences of their actions and ignore the impact that they have on the world around them. Ultimately, it is up to each person to determine their own stance and make choices that align with their personal beliefs and values, considering the wider impact that their actions may have.
Alternatively it could be argued that by not supporting this game for those reasons you're discounting the years of work that hundreds of people over at Avalanche Software put into what is by all accounts a good game chock full of diversity because of what the IP creator who didn't work on the game said a few years ago. How is it fair for those folks?

This in no way is an endorsement of Rowling's remarks. Just that the livelihood of hundreds of people relies on this game being successful, and it seems unfair to penalize their hard work for something they had nothing to do with.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Feb 10, 2023, 18:39
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 10, 2023, 18:39
Feb 10, 2023, 18:39

Hellcinder wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 17:15:
So in light of the recent events of a particular author and something that came from her world that she initially created and comparing that with the controversies of the actual game companies, this is pretty tame. Games will succeed on their own merit and the controversy that swirls them will fade.

There's always a game controversy of some kind. It's the only thing that brings us out to yell at each other these days, like a Thanksgiving dinner family politics fight without ever leaving our keyboards. It's been pretty tame here compared to elsewhere (a thank you to Blue for that, and an apology for my part in making it harder to moderate)...I already had the ending spoiled for me by the angry activists spamming Reddit and Steam threads trying to ruin things for people playing, and got message bombed with everything from spoilers to death threats for trying to help someone fix a video memory issue and get the game working on another site.

I'm sympathetic to the cause their fighting for, even if I'm not going to take part in a pointless boycott and would rather focus on meaningful political action, but holy hell have things gotten nuts. I'm actually more afraid of the damage the people fighting about it will do for themselves at this point than anything the richest author in history might do with a little bit more money.

Feb 10, 2023, 18:38
Re: Hogwarts Legacy's EA Success Feb 10, 2023, 18:38

I have thoroughly enjoyed my early access time with Hogwoke's Legacy (including clicking the purchase button and sending my friendly greetings to PC Gamer Devilish ). It is a kiddie game but a pretty good one. The actual Hogwart academy is a masterpiece of art with its animated paintings, the ghosts that roam the marble hallways, the various machinery that is operated by invisible magic and the many, many other small details that make it all come alive. Just wow...

The open world is similarly amazing. It's a real fantasy fairytale world. Riding the broom is crazy cool shit.

The question is long term motivation. The story is kiddie material. It is not exactly engaging and told in a very harmless fashion with zero grit. The game also suffers from collectible-itis. I have seen two guides on Steam, one of which claims the game has ~1000 collectibles and the other mentioned ~600 but either way this seems a tad bit exaggerated to me (ymmv).

That's why I fear that open world vacuum cleaner burn-out is almost guaranteed with this game. It might all be a bit too much if you are a completionist type of gamer.

Oh well, I will continue my adventures after a couple more patches. The initial impression was a promising one but I could see it getting stale after a couple dozen hours or so. We'll see...
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Dev
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 18:38
Dev

SMITE wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 18:32:
Dev wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 18:08:
Yonah Gerber, a video game archivist, had a different take, noting other details of the game that they said verge on antisemitism.

Are you serious? Do you just believe whatever the fuck you read?

You think the person who wrote this article just happened to find some completely objective "video game archivist" to weigh in on this issue? And this completely objective "video game archivist" just happened to conclude that, Why, yes--JK Rowling really is an antisemite?

You mean this Yonah Gerber?

https://twitter.com/remembrancermx

TWO SECONDS of typing would have been enough to take you to his twitter feed where you would easily discover that he is not some objective archivist but a full-on woke "social-justice" style activist.

I take back my apology for responding so harshly the first time. No way you could actually be this naive.

Ok dude.

I did a google search and that story came up that appeared to be a Jewish source, since I was looking for a more balanced take to see if you were right. No I didn't bother to research anything about who was quoted. I've never heard that name before. Why would I take those two seconds?

You can add or take back any apologies, that's entirely up to you.

Feb 10, 2023, 18:34
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 18:34
Feb 10, 2023, 18:34

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 17:55:

Honestly I had no clue wtf Rowling said before this game's launch, and honestly don't care. Why? Because I'm an adult, and realize that other adults are allowed to say anything they want reguardless of how much I agree or disagree with people.
The CEO of ChickFilet is homophobic, and I will not support buying of their products, but it won't stop me from eating it if someone else is paying for it.

This is a A-Typical Karen value, ie: I'm going to be offended for someone else's value. Fine go ahead, but please keep your opinions on values etc to yourself. What's that saying "Those in stone houses shouldn't throw stones"?
It appears that we are in agreement, as your response echoes the sentiment I expressed. People have the right to make choices that align with their personal beliefs and values, regardless of whether others disagree with those choices. Making a decision not to support a game or its creator due to their actions or beliefs is not an exception to being an adult, nor does it necessarily imply that someone is being offended. Rather, it is an exercise of personal agency and an affirmation of one's values.

Of course, it's important to note that while being uninformed about the creator's actions or beliefs may make the decision to play a game easier, it also means that the argument for doing so is not based on a complete understanding of the situation. Having a limited perspective or knowledge about a topic does not make for a strong argument, and it may be worth considering gaining a better understanding before making a decision that could go against your own personal values.

Feb 10, 2023, 18:33
Dev
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 18:33
Feb 10, 2023, 18:33
Dev

SMITE wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 18:22:
Dev wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 18:00:
This is what I found when I searched. What kinda website is the Mary Sue? I have no idea. I've never read anything else on there.

So you are saying that horn artifact in the game means nothing as well?

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong, if I am. From the stuff I'm seeing that's out there, what's in the game seems sketchy.

I admire your willingness to admit the possibility that you might be wrong and apologize for the harshness with which I responded to your initial post. But I am curious.

You say that this is what you found when you searched. But how did you come across the accusation of antisemitism in the first place? You'd have to have known about it to begin with in order to search for it, no?

The fanatics who hate Rowling for disagreeing with some aspects of gender ideology will literally accuse her of anything as long as they think it will damage her reputation. At one point they tried to claim she was in favor of child pornography. That's in addition to all the rape and death threats they routinely send her way. This is not a reputable bunch.

The Mary Sue is about as far from objective as you could possibly get on the subject of Rowling. Even a cursory glance at the site should have taught you this. Right now they have a story celebrating Harry Potter spoilers, and another "just asking" if she is a racist. It's an uber-fucking woke site. Why would you find it credible just because it showed up in your search results? If you got some far right website, would you find them credible too?

No, I don't find the story about the horn credible either. These are ideologically motivated attacks, launched, again, by people who hate Rowling because she disagrees with some aspects of gender ideology, not because she is somehow antisemetic.
To answer the question, a picture of the horn came up in a board game group chat I was in. I searched google for the game name and anti semetic because I wanted to learn more than just a picture, and marysue was one of the sites that came up on the first page. It still is, though it appears to be lower on the first page now than previously when I saw it.

Feb 10, 2023, 18:32
Re: On Hogwarts Legacy's Early Success Feb 10, 2023, 18:32
Feb 10, 2023, 18:32

Dev wrote on Feb 10, 2023, 18:08:
Yonah Gerber, a video game archivist, had a different take, noting other details of the game that they said verge on antisemitism.

Are you serious? Do you just believe whatever the fuck you read?

You think the person who wrote this article just happened to find some completely objective "video game archivist" to weigh in on this issue? And this completely objective "video game archivist" just happened to conclude that, Why, yes--JK Rowling really is an antisemite?

You mean this "video game archivist?"

https://twitter.com/remembrancermx

TWO SECONDS of typing would have been enough to take you to his twitter feed where you would easily discover that he is not some objective archivist but a full-on woke "social-justice" style activist.

I take back my apology for responding so harshly the first time.

No way you could actually be this naive.
105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older