Warhammer 40:000: Darktide Development Regrouping

Fatshark offers an open letter to Warhammer 40:000: Darktide players. Admitting it fell short on its goals for the first-person action game, this lays out the plan to make things right. This means the launch of seasonal content on Xbox and premium cosmetics are being pushed back while work is completed to address player feedback. Word is the primary focus will be to craft a proper crafting system:
We take enormous pride in our ability at Fatshark to deliver a game that millions can enjoy. This was what we set out to do with Warhammer 40,000: Darktide – to create a highly engaging and stable game with a level of depth that keeps you playing for weeks, not hours.

We fell short of meeting those expectations.

Over the next few months, our sole focus is to address the feedback that many of you have. In particular, we will focus on delivering a complete crafting system, a more rewarding progression loop, and continue to work on game stability and performance optimization.

This also means that we will delay our seasonal content rollout and the Xbox Series X|S launch. We will also suspend the upcoming releases of premium cosmetics. We just couldn’t continue down this path, knowing that we have not addressed many feedback areas in the game today.

Thank you for playing and providing feedback. We really appreciate it. It has and will continue to help shape the game we love.

Martin Wahlund
CEO and Co-Founder of Fatshark
View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Warhammer 40:000: Darktide Development Regrouping
Jan 25, 2023, 10:47
Re: Warhammer 40:000: Darktide Development Regrouping Jan 25, 2023, 10:47
Jan 25, 2023, 10:47

Quinn wrote on Jan 25, 2023, 03:41:
The game is 40 bucks, I've put 150+ hours into it in the first three weeks. The game was very stable for me, and evidently extremely fun. They just dropped the ball entirely when it comes to the end-game loop, but it's not an MMO with a monthly fee either.

I'm just "pissed" at Fatshark that they didn't make this great game into a perfect one before they released it. But then again... 40 bucks & 150+ hours. 🤷 The problem is the fans don't wanna play "weeks, not hours" but "months, not weeks"!

I'm in the same train of thought.

They seriously fucked up a lot about the game but it is incredibly fun to play.

Jan 25, 2023, 09:41
Verno

Re: Warhammer 40:000: Darktide Development Regrouping Jan 25, 2023, 09:41
Jan 25, 2023, 09:41
 Verno

I'm frustrated by the state of the game. There are some pretty annoying difficulty issues to sort out in a few mission types, not enough mission types and levels in general. Ranged counter-play needs work, too often you are being peppered by ranged mobs that take too long to put down but deal a ton of damage themselves. Pugging is awful in this game and a lot of the levels have filler areas that could be reduced. I remember Vermintide 2 at launch so I will give them some leeway on lack of careers and whatnot, that stuff is normally fleshed out more later but they really did go barebones this time. I totally agree that a lot of the feats are lackluster and feel pointless.

Anyways I can't really recommend the game right now, it needs another year of work minimum. There are better squad melee/FPS games to play, heck even Vermintide 2 is still a lot of fun despite its issues.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2023, 12:21.
Playing: Dead Space Remake, Chained Echoes, Hi-Fi Rush
Watching: Superstore, The Last of Us, Love Death & Robots

Jan 25, 2023, 05:00
Re: Warhammer 40:000: Darktide Development Regrouping Jan 25, 2023, 05:00
Jan 25, 2023, 05:00

I'm still playing though not that much as the RL friend group I played with have lost interest. I like the gameplay loop, I don't mind the cosmetics shop or whatever since that is optional, but the content and the story is lacking in the extreme.

There should have been at least twice the number of levels, and at least 3-4 times the number of missions. Likewise the number of "randomised" events during the missions should have been upped considerably so that it doesn't feel like you are playing the same mission over and over again. Simple things like the assassination mission featuring a different random boss at the end would have been so much better instead of that same dude that most people can now do blindfolded.

The classes need work too. I've had a lot of fun with the Zealot and the Veteran class, but the Psyker and Ogryn are not a lot of fun. I haven't played them much but their feats feel uninspired and weak. More classes need to be added, hopefully not as paid DLC and existing classes need to be tweaked.

One other thing I would have liked to see is the inclusion of actual story missions instead of the dumbass cutscenes you get every few levels, that took Dan Abnett all of 2 seconds to write. Specially designed missions that you do only once per play through, per character, that feel special and unique and that you don't do on the usual mission rotation. It would have gone a long way to making the game and the characters you meet in it more fleshed out.

Oh well, it is what it is. I put in 50-60 hours into it and I've had fun, and I'll probably put in some more to get some optimal loot builds so I can do the hardest difficulties just for kicks. But it is very barebones. Miles better than that horrible spacehulk game of a few years ago, but the curse of 40k continues.

Jan 25, 2023, 04:38
Re: Warhammer 40:000: Darktide Development Regrouping Jan 25, 2023, 04:38
Jan 25, 2023, 04:38

I leveled up 2 of the 4 characters to max level. And I kind of lost interest. Part of that is how repetitive the game is, how little content there actually is and part of it is I have it on Gamepass and can't play it with friends on Steam. Furthermore it's like Fatshark forgot they set expectations with Vermintide 2. Vermintide 2 had 5 characters with 15 career paths in total. Darktide has 4 with 1 career path each. Their plan to make thing right may be coming of mostly negative recent reviews and because Steam player numbers are plummeting:
https://steamcharts.com/app/1361210
I realize that all games lose players but this is a coop mp game and that drop has been pretty bad.

Jan 25, 2023, 03:46
Re: Warhammer 40:000: Darktide Development Regrouping Jan 25, 2023, 03:46
Jan 25, 2023, 03:46

I consider this game a torture device not an actual entertainment product. And in that regard they nailed it 100%
It also takes a special kind of developer to make an SCI-FI game where the HUMANS are the monsters and place it setting wise in a planet-scale sewer level with ZERO aliens. Just wow. 40k literally lives and breaths xenophobia and Fatshark failed to even get that right. Astounding.

Jan 25, 2023, 03:41
Re: Warhammer 40:000: Darktide Development Regrouping Jan 25, 2023, 03:41
Jan 25, 2023, 03:41

The game is 40 bucks, I've put 150+ hours into it in the first three weeks. The game was very stable for me, and evidently extremely fun. They just dropped the ball entirely when it comes to the end-game loop, but it's not an MMO with a monthly fee either.

I'm just "pissed" at Fatshark that they didn't make this great game into a perfect one before they released it. But then again... 40 bucks & 150+ hours. 🤷 The problem is the fans don't wanna play "weeks, not hours" but "months, not weeks"!
Currently playing: Darktide

Jan 25, 2023, 03:06
Re: Warhammer 40:000: Darktide Development Regrouping Jan 25, 2023, 03:06
Jan 25, 2023, 03:06

The best part about Darktide is it made me go back to Vermintide 2.

Jan 25, 2023, 01:32
Re: Warhammer 40:000: Darktide Development Regrouping Jan 25, 2023, 01:32
Jan 25, 2023, 01:32

I imagine the reviews falling to Mostly Negative for recent and Mixed for overall had a big part in this.

Yeah, maybe fixing and finishing your damn game is a good idea before pushing out EVEN MORE cosmetics that no one cares about.

Jan 24, 2023, 23:31
Re: Warhammer 40:000: Darktide Development Regrouping Jan 24, 2023, 23:31
Jan 24, 2023, 23:31

Great plan, push it out early before the holidays and lie about the status to extract as much cash as possible.
Then when people start complaining (i.e. stop spending money in the cash shop) apologize.
Promise to fix, and don't, they have been promising to fix Vermintide 2, for 5 years now.
Scorpio Slasher: What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: Bullies. Tiny dick egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you. I f*cking hate people like you!
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older