Portal with RTX Released

Portal with RTX is now available for Windows on Steam, offering the promised graphical update for Valve's classic first-person puzzle game. If you already own the game, this is a free update. The cake may or may not be a lie, but the visual improvements from the addition of ray tracing and other advanced effect is the truth, and it can be seen in this video. The new version supports any ray tracing-capable GPU, but we've seen concerns that AMD cards will struggle due to lack of DLSS support. Here's a bit on the Portal port:
Portal with RTX is a free DLC for all Portal owners developed by NVIDIA Lightspeed Studios. Experience the critically acclaimed and award-winning Portal™ reimagined with ray tracing. Every frame of gameplay is upgraded with stunning full ray tracing, new, hand-crafted hi-res physically based textures, and new, enhanced high-poly models evocative of the originals, all in stunning 4K. In Portal with RTX, full ray tracing transforms each level, enabling light to bounce and be affected by the scene’s geometry and materials. Every light is ray-traced and casts shadows, global illumination indirect lighting naturally illuminates and darkens rooms, volumetric ray-traced lighting scatters through fog and smoke, and shadows are pixel perfect. Portal with RTX is compatible with all ray-tracing capable GPUs.
View : : :
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Portal with RTX Released
Dec 9, 2022, 13:20
Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 13:20
Dec 9, 2022, 13:20

Simon Says wrote on Dec 9, 2022, 00:09:
Quboid wrote on Dec 9, 2022, 00:03:
I don't think there's any doubt that Nvidia paid for the entire development. It's not been a secret that this is to show off RTX.

As far as showing off go and as far as I'm concerned, it's an utter failure.

To be hyped so much and to be delivered that... I really don't get what the hype was all about even after having tried it on a 3070.

I hope The Witcher 3 is a better showing off of RTX because that just left me completely cold and I loved Portal.

I don't think Witcher 3 will necessarily show off better RTX since they're just adding some RTX features to the game but the overall world that is in the Witcher 3 will be enhanced with the addition of RTX features. Similar to Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It may make you think it is better but it truly isn't. This Portal is actual RTX at its finest. Side note there. I'll enjoy Witcher 3 enhanced 110% more than Portal, but that's another story.

Dec 9, 2022, 12:48
Slick

Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 12:48
Dec 9, 2022, 12:48
 Slick

Simon Says wrote on Dec 8, 2022, 22:05:

Tried it on a 3070 and my reaction was:

"Wait? That's it? That's what all the fuss was about?"

Tried cranking every setting in Portal's menu and RTX Remix's menu to maximum... Still nothing special.

#NotImpressed

This seems to be a common first-reaction. Even my first reaction was pretty muted. But then I reached the rooms with the energy balls, and my jaw was on the floor.

The whole map was essentially just 2 tiled textures, the walls and the floor/ceiling (which shared the same texture asset). But the colours of the room all of a sudden sprung to life with that energy ball bounding around. It's uncanny how VERY simple geometry and VERY simple textures can be transformed with realistic dynamic lighting. When every object is casting accurate shadows from every light source, when dynamic light goes through portals, and most especially when the undulating shift in tone from the energy ball light casts the room in different shades of light, the whole scene just comes alive.

Dec 9, 2022, 12:32
Slick

Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 12:32
Dec 9, 2022, 12:32
 Slick

ForgedReality wrote on Dec 8, 2022, 15:06:
Nice and buggy. Half the graphics settings don't take, and when you try to change them, the game crashes almost every time. Also had to update my nVidia drivers to start it, but before that, I tried starting and it stuck me in a black screen that I couldn't get out of. There was an error that popped up saying I needed to update my drivers, but I didn't see it until I started ctrl+alt+del'ing and alt-tabbing and win+d and win+tab and ctrl+shift+esc, all trying to get out of the black screen. Had to end task.

Doesn't really look all that impressive and since it won't let me set reflections above "simple" anyway (3090, 5950x), and have that setting actually save, uninstalled after just a few minutes. I don't have patience anymore I guess.

Are you using ALT+X to change setting in the remix RTX developer menu? Pretty sure you aren't supposed to change the in-game graphics settings. dev menu works fine for me.

Dec 9, 2022, 12:31
Slick

Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 12:31
Dec 9, 2022, 12:31
 Slick

Tried it on my 4090 at 4k. Looks great, sad there's no HDR. There's that weird Source engine "auto-HDR" nonsense that makes everything weird, it's the fake HDR that makes areas overly bright or dark to try and simulate you squinting at the sun and stuff. Anyways, it's dogshit.

So to get good framerates I need to enable DLSS 3.0 frame generation, which added a noticible amount of input lag. But then, strangely, after leaving the client open for 2 hours, the latency just went away. And I still was getting high frames. I have no idea what happened, but what went from VERY noticible input lag, to completely unnoticible

Dec 9, 2022, 12:26
Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 12:26
Dec 9, 2022, 12:26

Argh,
Told me to update the drivers. https://ibb.co/qn6pkrS
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Dec 9, 2022, 12:06
Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 12:06
Dec 9, 2022, 12:06

*self-deleted*

Dec 9, 2022, 08:16
El Pit

Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 08:16
Dec 9, 2022, 08:16
 El Pit

We want Pong with RTX!
Should even run on an RTX 3050.
Yeah, I know. It will run 15 fps @ 720p with ultra settings.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Dec 9, 2022, 07:24
Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 07:24
Dec 9, 2022, 07:24

Ran through it last night as it's only a 2 hour game. Obviously it was fun as it's probably the first time I've played the original in 10 years, although weirdly I remembered all the puzzle solutions.

I had to turn setting from ultra to high to maintain 30fps at 3440x1440 on a water cooled 3070ti (I hate fan noise).

I didn't boot the original back up to see the difference as for me this was more a good reason just to run through it again.

I'm really looking forward to Witcher 3 purely to see if their version can match mine with 200 mods on it. Pity some of the character mods will make my saves incompatible as I only finished the main quest not the expansions last time.

Dec 9, 2022, 05:15
Wolfen

Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 05:15
Dec 9, 2022, 05:15
 Wolfen

I don't think there's any doubt that Nvidia paid for the entire development. It's not been a secret that this is to show off RTX.

To be hyped so much and to be delivered that... I really don't get what the hype was all about even after having tried it on a 3070.

I hope The Witcher 3 is a better showing off of RTX because that just left me completely cold and I loved Portal.

Visually. I have to agree it wasn't very exciting. From a technical perspective, knowing that there are 0 lightmaps and all reflections, lighting, shadows, and bouncing etc etc etc is all done real-time and not just a single/series of textures is pretty darn impressive.

Dec 9, 2022, 05:11
Wolfen

Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 05:11
Dec 9, 2022, 05:11
 Wolfen

gradbot wrote on Dec 9, 2022, 02:45:
I just beat the RTX version. I wouldn't call it a huge success. Lighting in Portal has always been dull and RTX isn't going to help that unles they add a bunch of new light sources and improve the PBR model. I noticed RTX evey once in a while, but the game still looks visually dated compared to portal 2. It's still a fun quick play through, around 2 hours for me since it's been years.

I found a number of 4090 easter eggs in the game. They had QR codes as well but they only linked to boring text.

In game you hit alt-x and go into developer mode section, then about section, and find the "secrets" section and input that boring text. It will unlock new cube skins or something.

Dec 9, 2022, 04:32
Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 04:32
Dec 9, 2022, 04:32

What a fad

Dec 9, 2022, 02:45
Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 02:45
Dec 9, 2022, 02:45

I just beat the RTX version. I wouldn't call it a huge success. Lighting in Portal has always been dull and RTX isn't going to help that unles they add a bunch of new light sources and improve the PBR model. I noticed RTX evey once in a while, but the game still looks visually dated compared to portal 2. It's still a fun quick play through, around 2 hours for me since it's been years.

I found a number of 4090 easter eggs in the game. They had QR codes as well but they only linked to boring text.

Dec 9, 2022, 02:26
Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 02:26
Dec 9, 2022, 02:26

I remember playing through this game in one or max two sittings. Was a pretty fun experience even though it was short. I didn't mind at the time, as I got the game bundled with something else for free. No idea what it was, or where it is, it's obviously on my "old" Steam account, since it's not in my library. Oh well. *shrug*

Dec 9, 2022, 01:31
Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 01:31
Dec 9, 2022, 01:31

I think you are just gonna be disappointed in life from now on, sorry about that, only you can change that.

Dec 9, 2022, 00:09
Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 00:09
Dec 9, 2022, 00:09

Dec 9, 2022, 00:03
Quboid

Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 9, 2022, 00:03
Dec 9, 2022, 00:03
 Quboid

Xero wrote on Dec 8, 2022, 23:38:
Quboid wrote on Dec 8, 2022, 18:10:
I loved Portal, I liked Portal 2 a lot. This remaster is excellent - it's the same game but prettier - but damn it runs slow. Someone mentioning cutting your framerate in half, I wish! In Portal (Geforce 3080 Ti, at 3440x1440, highest settings) I averaged over 250 FPS. In this, with DLSS set to the second lowest option and MSAA off, I was getting about 40 FPS average. Just enough for this sort of game, but for anything more reaction-focused it's not good enough.

However, I did notice that my system was not being taxed - my CPU and GPU usage was consistently very low, typically below 20% utilisation. Perhaps Portal RTX is using resources that my monitoring software (Libre Hardware Monitor) doesn't measure like, I don't know, Tensor cores or some other new-fangled RTX stuff - or perhaps this is badly bugged, and I should be getting much higher performance on this system.

Ray tracing is the future, but to me this demonstrates that it's not the present. If this isn't bugging out on me, this performance impact is just way too high; I would much rather turn up antialiasing, view distance, and such like for a fraction of the performance cost.

If you noticed the 4090 RTX card in the room as soon as you start, you realize, this is basically a commercialized game for that hardware. I'm sure Nvidia paid for the majority of the development.

Dec 8, 2022, 23:58
Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 8, 2022, 23:58
Dec 8, 2022, 23:58

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 8, 2022, 17:10:
RogueSix wrote on Dec 8, 2022, 16:24:
What a boring puzzle game with a boring tacked on "story" Portal is/was... I could not get myself to even try Portal 2,
Just out of curiosity, can you name a puzzle game you liked?
Mr.Tact, don't bother, he authoritatively confuses personal dislike or disinterest with worst quality and their fans' outrageous lack of criteria :

Deus Ex games' Adam Jenssen:
"... dipshit ... complete sore loser ... dumb asshole."

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic:
"One of the most boring and overrated games ever ... old garbage."

Dark Souls, and From(software) titles in general:
" ... the most overrated janky garbage ever created."
Etc.

Puzzle, sports, driving, aventure, strategy games aren't my thing, but I would never diss them.
On the contrary, it's my sad loss, and will persist in trying them: been happily surprised and delighted time and again.

Dec 8, 2022, 23:38
Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 8, 2022, 23:38
Dec 8, 2022, 23:38

Quboid wrote on Dec 8, 2022, 18:10:
I loved Portal, I liked Portal 2 a lot. This remaster is excellent - it's the same game but prettier - but damn it runs slow. Someone mentioning cutting your framerate in half, I wish! In Portal (Geforce 3080 Ti, at 3440x1440, highest settings) I averaged over 250 FPS. In this, with DLSS set to the second lowest option and MSAA off, I was getting about 40 FPS average. Just enough for this sort of game, but for anything more reaction-focused it's not good enough.

However, I did notice that my system was not being taxed - my CPU and GPU usage was consistently very low, typically below 20% utilisation. Perhaps Portal RTX is using resources that my monitoring software (Libre Hardware Monitor) doesn't measure like, I don't know, Tensor cores or some other new-fangled RTX stuff - or perhaps this is badly bugged, and I should be getting much higher performance on this system.

Ray tracing is the future, but to me this demonstrates that it's not the present. If this isn't bugging out on me, this performance impact is just way too high; I would much rather turn up antialiasing, view distance, and such like for a fraction of the performance cost.

If you noticed the 4090 RTX card in the room as soon as you start, you realize, this is basically a commercialized game for that hardware. I'm sure Nvidia paid for the majority of the development.

Dec 8, 2022, 22:05
Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 8, 2022, 22:05
Dec 8, 2022, 22:05

Tried it on a 3070 and my reaction was:

"Wait? That's it? That's what all the fuss was about?"

Tried cranking every setting in Portal's menu and RTX Remix's menu to maximum... Still nothing special.

#NotImpressed

Dec 8, 2022, 20:47
Re: Portal with RTX Released Dec 8, 2022, 20:47
Dec 8, 2022, 20:47

Just fired it up. It's good but I'm not totally blown away. I was actually just enjoying the Portal vibes and sounds more than anything.

One thing I noticed, once you receive the gun, it has 3 orange glowy parts to it. It doesn't always show or reflect that color when you brush up against walls. I think that's a major mistake. Like, some walls, it looks like you can see some sort of reflection to the glow but a lot of surfaces project nada.
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older