15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Quoteworthy
Dec 8, 2022, 12:46
Re: Quoteworthy Dec 8, 2022, 12:46
Dec 8, 2022, 12:46

I will definitely never play this game now. Absolutely zero interest in supporting alt right fascists.

Dec 8, 2022, 08:52
Re: Quoteworthy Dec 8, 2022, 08:52
Dec 8, 2022, 08:52

I got Days Gone on a Steam sale, played through the main story, did most of the hordes and nests, including all of the largest hordes. I think I uninstalled with a few smaller scattered hordes left. My character was fully maxxed out in the three skill 'trees' from mission and random experience gains. I used a mod to prevent melee weapons breaking, because crafting the same good axe 100 times was annoying as hell. I can shoot 100,000 rounds through this LMG, and never even let it cool off or change the barrel, yet my solid metal weapon breaks after like 8 swings? Ridiculous busy work. Should have been a toggle built into the game, have no melee weapon degradation. I never found a real suppressor either, just crafted oil can suppressors, which is ridiculous for modern day America. Suppressors are all over the place in civilian and military usage, and they last a long fucking time. Crafting those is just busy work.

It's an okay game. The story and character writing goes from atrocious to acceptable and back, throughout the game. The ending especially was extremely aggravating to me in how ridiculously bad the writing was. The choice of outlaw bikers was pretty weird to me as well, at least for modern day America where those guys are literally organized crime and/or racist traitors to the United States in the present day. Ignoring that, weapon balance was a bit weak, only some guns were actually useful vs the numbers of enemies you will face. Also they could have used a more 'realistic' ammo system. 9mm is the same across two different pistols, Days Gone. I can take out those bullets from this dead enemy's weapon and use them in my other firearm, okay? It was really annoying with the rifles... kill some guys with 5.56 weapons, whoops, can't use their ammo for some reason in my weapon which is also a 5.56 caliber weapon. A lot of open world busy work for not much benefit. I crafted everything possible, used basically... health potions? Noise makers and other crap were rarely worthwhile, easier to just run infected into a bottleneck and use the Growler firebomb on them then LMG. If there was a flamethrower in the game I never found it, but I kept expecting to see one, considering how many times firebombs, molotovs, etc. came up in the storyline.

Logic wise, the story failed repeatedly, but this is not exactly uncommon in games these days. By the time my motorcycle was fully upgraded it felt almost like a real motorcycle in terms of speed, but that was near the end of the game.

I felt like there could have been a real awesome opportunity for better design for the traps and crossbow, but there are literally too many human and infected enemies to make those worthwhile after the very early game. Some of the sniper rifles were pretty amazing as well, but you hamstring yourself if you take one instead of an LMG. Should have been more weapon slots, or a few weapon slots on the motorcycle to carry special use weapons.

Based on my playthrough, the game probably sold better and had better reviews than it realistically deserved, this guy should be happy with the success he received.

Dec 8, 2022, 06:46
Dev
Re: Quoteworthy Dec 8, 2022, 06:46
Dec 8, 2022, 06:46
Dev

Hah, MS following through on promises. It took them what, 20 or 30 years to actually dedicate themselves to PC gaming like they've been promising... after they got rid of all those bad things... I'm drawing a blank now because I've blocked it from my memory lol, but bioshock had that one required MS thing along with a bunch of games at the time.
The gamepass thing is working though, I'll give them that. In terms of good deals for games. But it's also having an effect of making some gamers look down on the "free" games.

Dec 8, 2022, 02:57
Re: Quoteworthy Dec 8, 2022, 02:57
Dec 8, 2022, 02:57

Razumen wrote on Dec 7, 2022, 20:55:
... ...
I'm convinced the only people that think the game is boring have the patience of a toddler.
Don't worry, always come back to games and consistently find redeeming aspects to finally enjoy them.
I'm persistent with modding/tweaks, up to partial muting, or directly not using headphones to avoid Deacon sadness, he sounds like a tango

Here is a high speed table, etc -many more at Nexus Mods-.
https://www.nexusmods.com/daysgone/mods/405

Maybe fill find a teleporting trainer (unlock all Nero checkpoints from the get go), or try my own:

Days ago, posted here my own "how to do" zero cooldown chained far teleporting for Sacred 2 (re-playing it now hopping crazily all over maps and terrain, makes the game so agile).
Also unlocked all portals from the get go, changed zooming to from over the shoulder low any angle to faaaar zoom, most drops are for my Class, made spell cooldowns and regeneration zero, etc.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2022, 03:25.

Dec 8, 2022, 02:47
Re: Quoteworthy Dec 8, 2022, 02:47
Dec 8, 2022, 02:47

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 8, 2022, 02:28:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 7, 2022, 18:27:
Hey, John, you missed the crucial point number 4:

It was boring as fuck and cliche. Plenty of people like a "gruff white biker". His name was Ben and he was in the much superior Full Throttle.

Holy Crap. Full Throttle. I haven't thought about that gem in ages.
Did you know they remastered it?
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Dec 8, 2022, 02:28
Re: Quoteworthy Dec 8, 2022, 02:28
Dec 8, 2022, 02:28

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 7, 2022, 18:27:

It was boring as fuck and cliche. Plenty of people like a "gruff white biker". His name was Ben and he was in the much superior Full Throttle.

Holy Crap. Full Throttle. I haven't thought about that gem in ages.

Dec 7, 2022, 23:29
Re: Quoteworthy Dec 7, 2022, 23:29
Dec 7, 2022, 23:29

WannaLogAlready wrote on Dec 7, 2022, 19:57:
I love zombie games but Days Gone's hero was so whiny, and tearfully pining for his dear ailing pal.
Also driving around all the time was rather boring, and you could miss the nests, and it was a chore for me.
Ditched it (Game Pass), but I suppose I will give it a try another time.

Yes, how dare a guy have a best friend that he cares for. The character development in the game is better than a lot of TV shows these days.

The game was a blast, especially when you're fighting the hordes. The nests are also super easy to find since they literally appear on your map, and are very visually distinctive.

I'm convinced the only people that think the game is boring have the patience of a toddler.

I liked the game a lot, but Deacon was indeed insufferable through much of the game, particularly the first half or so. I grew to tolerate him and his roided out friend, but I found it pretty hard to identify with a biker bro outlaw, with his stupid and misguided chivalry (his "don't kill women" code). But I still enjoyed the game thoroughly, more than most on here I think. Shame that the director is a weak-minded idiot, and I'm glad he's gone from Bend Studio.

Dec 7, 2022, 23:22
Re: Quoteworthy Dec 7, 2022, 23:22
Dec 7, 2022, 23:22

I gave it four hours. I still found it boring. The story was derivative and juvenile. The characters largely forgettable since they were cliched stereotypes. The game mechanics were neither fresh nor novel. How much "patience of a toddler" am I supposed to devote to a game that couldn't hook me in four hours when I have little free time to devote to gaming as it is?

If you like it, good for you. It was time well spent. But with a 71 score on Metacritic, it's not exactly a genre defining title nor one that will stand proudly in anyone's hall of fame.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Dec 7, 2022, 20:55
Re: Quoteworthy Dec 7, 2022, 20:55
Dec 7, 2022, 20:55

WannaLogAlready wrote on Dec 7, 2022, 19:57:
I love zombie games but Days Gone's hero was so whiny, and tearfully pining for his dear ailing pal.
Also driving around all the time was rather boring, and you could miss the nests, and it was a chore for me.

Yes, how dare a guy have a best friend that he cares for. The character development in the game is better than a lot of TV shows these days.

The game was a blast, especially when you're fighting the hordes. The nests are also super easy to find since they literally appear on your map, and are very visually distinctive.

Dec 7, 2022, 19:57
Re: Quoteworthy Dec 7, 2022, 19:57
Dec 7, 2022, 19:57

Dec 7, 2022, 19:53
Re: Quoteworthy Dec 7, 2022, 19:53
Dec 7, 2022, 19:53

Hardline Mike wrote on Dec 7, 2022, 18:33:
Never played Days Gone but looking at some of the lower scoring reviews, I'm not seeing a whole lot of "woke" commentary.

A guy whining about woke reviewers while he works on an NFT game kinda seems like maybe he doesn't exactly have a good grasp of...well, much of anything, really, but I don't remember the game even being received all that badly in the first place.

It's kind of an odd thing to mention, though, since the main character who just looks like Sam Witwer has already been used in multiple games before that and it probably didn't help a great deal when it came to differentiating Deacon from the rest of the two thousand other guys in the gruff and scruffy generic protagonist barrel.

Dec 7, 2022, 19:42
Re: Quoteworthy Dec 7, 2022, 19:42
Dec 7, 2022, 19:42

I think it's pretty funny that he tweeted that 🤣

I got the game dirt cheap but haven't gotten around to play it yet

Dec 7, 2022, 19:02
Re: Quoteworthy Dec 7, 2022, 19:02
Dec 7, 2022, 19:02

Hardline Mike wrote on Dec 7, 2022, 18:33:
Never played Days Gone but looking at some of the lower scoring reviews, I'm not seeing a whole lot of "woke" commentary.
Woke is a great buzzword that almost anyone can use to hand wave away just about anything.
Domino's pizza did not arrive in 30 minutes or less. Clearly the fault of the woke deep state.
Forgot to mail the electric bill and now there's a late fee. Blame that on the woke postal system and the price of stamps.
Your child did not make the football team. You guessed it, the coach was woke.
Your video game did not review well. ...
ps: woke and crt are interchangeable in certain circumstances
They really need to put whoever is in charge of AriZona iced tea in control of inflation...

Dec 7, 2022, 18:33
Re: Quoteworthy Dec 7, 2022, 18:33
Dec 7, 2022, 18:33

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Dec 7, 2022, 18:27
Re: Quoteworthy Dec 7, 2022, 18:27
Dec 7, 2022, 18:27

"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older