Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed

Offworld Industries reveals plans for Starship Troopers: Extermination, a co-op FPS set on the frontlines of the war against the Bugs. The news is revealed via an Announcement Teaser which notes that the game's Steam Listing is live, showing a 2023 release date. There's also an Official Gameplay Teaser on IGN with a look at this in action. Remember, service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Starship Troopers: Extermination drops up to 12 players right into the fight against the Bug menace in this co-op first person shooter. Suit up and ship out to a far-off front as a Trooper in the Deep Space Vanguard, an elite Special Forces group within the Mobile Infantry. It’s up to squads like yours to battle against hundreds of bloodthirsty insectoid aliens and take back fallen colonies for the Federation. The only good Bug is a dead Bug!

No Trooper stands alone. As soon as the dropship hits dirt, your trusty Morita Assault Rifle and fellow Deep Space Vanguard Troopers are all that will keep you alive while exploring the hostile surface of the planet Valaka. Work together to complete objectives, acquire resources, build and defend a base, and then escape to the extraction point together.
View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed
Nov 29, 2022, 07:54
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 29, 2022, 07:54
Nov 29, 2022, 07:54

Beamer wrote on Nov 29, 2022, 07:23:
VaranDragon wrote on Nov 29, 2022, 01:48:
It's kind of dissapointing that they went this route. But it's understandable since everyone has seen the movie, no one has read the book. Probably not even the devs. No one of consequence reads these days, it's fucking depressing. Now the mobile infantry from the book? Dropped in straight from orbit in torpedo like pods in their powered armor able to vault hundreds of meters and with single squads able to decimate entire cities? That would be the game I would want to play....

Old people have been complaining, incorrectly, that no one reads anymore longer than any of us have been alive. They've always been wrong. But yes, a 20 some odd year old cult classic movie will have been more watched than an outdated sci-fi book. That's partially a numbers game

I was using hyperbole, when have I ever not used hyperbole? It's kind of my "thing" on this forum. Obviously people still read. Duh. I'm reasonably sure that people read less in the age of tiktok, youtube and infotainement, than they have in the age of TV but what the hell do I know, I'm just an old fart that likes to read. I'm however pretty sure very few people have read anything by Robert A. Heinlein, and that is truly depressing.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2022, 09:32.

Nov 29, 2022, 07:23
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 29, 2022, 07:23
Nov 29, 2022, 07:23

It's kind of dissapointing that they went this route. But it's understandable since everyone has seen the movie, no one has read the book. Probably not even the devs. No one of consequence reads these days, it's fucking depressing. Now the mobile infantry from the book? Dropped in straight from orbit in torpedo like pods in their powered armor able to vault hundreds of meters and with single squads able to decimate entire cities? That would be the game I would want to play....

Old people have been complaining, incorrectly, that no one reads anymore longer than any of us have been alive. They've always been wrong. But yes, a 20 some odd year old cult classic movie will have been more watched than an outdated sci-fi book. That's partially a numbers game

Nov 29, 2022, 06:46
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 29, 2022, 06:46
Nov 29, 2022, 06:46

Early game video promo, no red flags here (like janky motion, etc.).

Too much for some jaded gamers who are either too young to have seen the movie when it was new or too brainwashed to think that FPS has to mean another play the movie linear console game or it is not legit.

Also Vermintide II has a great rating from most of it's Steam users. Follows in the footsteps of a slew of commercially successful and generally liked co-op open world shooters with base building like MetalGearSolid V, and Generation Zero.

Looks good to me. Yea for anything Starship Troopers on of the best tongue in cheek Sci-Fi sagas.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Nov 29, 2022, 02:31
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 29, 2022, 02:31
Nov 29, 2022, 02:31

The 80s cartoon and more recent 3D Japanese anime show this kind of stuff.
Would be a cool game for sure.

Nov 29, 2022, 01:48
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 29, 2022, 01:48
Nov 29, 2022, 01:48

Nov 29, 2022, 01:18
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 29, 2022, 01:18
Nov 29, 2022, 01:18

Darks wrote on Nov 28, 2022, 15:54:
Beamer wrote on Nov 28, 2022, 14:13:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 28, 2022, 13:12:
The bugs need better reactions to being shot... The quick cuts here make it harder to tell for sure, but it really doesn't seem much better than the 2005 game in that regard. What made them scary in the movie is they were tough enough to not die instantly to small arms fire, which only makes for tedious gameplay if you don't do a good job replicating how they would stagger and recoil and struggle against the hail of bullets while they're deformed and ripped apart limb by limb until finally falling. I would love to see a studio like Tripwire take this on, since they really give a shit about how it's supposed to feel to blast a monster with big guns.

You kind of nail it. The movie shows that they're bullet sponges, which aren't fun in games.
Something significantly more powerful than you can be fun in certain ways. In AvP, the aliens fall apart from small arms fire, and while the predator is much more difficult to kill, he's also more rare and somewhat stalking you. Most games handle bullet sponges in similar ways (except SiN Episodes, which really screwed those up.)
This just isn't good IP for that. Enemies designed to show how fragile humanity is aren't fun in huge numbers.

Yeah, the reaction was what I noticed in the video, the bugs seemed oblivious to the damage being done.

And the Bugs really are not Bullet Sponges, you have to hit them in the Nerve Stem to take them down fast. But will that be in the game? Who knows!!

I just hope this isn't some kind of wave shooter. But with 12 people for Coop, I'm not holding my breath.
Shoot off a limb, and they are still 86% combat effective.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Nov 28, 2022, 22:59
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 28, 2022, 22:59
Nov 28, 2022, 22:59

12 player co-op. Some kind of base building too. That's going to be some fun.

Nov 28, 2022, 15:56
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 28, 2022, 15:56
Nov 28, 2022, 15:56

Ya know, sometimes when I think I am old, I look at current games announced and see stuff like this and realize that I don't have to worry about that yet ;p

Nov 28, 2022, 15:54
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 28, 2022, 15:54
Nov 28, 2022, 15:54

Beamer wrote on Nov 28, 2022, 14:13:
The bugs need better reactions to being shot... The quick cuts here make it harder to tell for sure, but it really doesn't seem much better than the 2005 game in that regard. What made them scary in the movie is they were tough enough to not die instantly to small arms fire, which only makes for tedious gameplay if you don't do a good job replicating how they would stagger and recoil and struggle against the hail of bullets while they're deformed and ripped apart limb by limb until finally falling. I would love to see a studio like Tripwire take this on, since they really give a shit about how it's supposed to feel to blast a monster with big guns.

You kind of nail it. The movie shows that they're bullet sponges, which aren't fun in games.
Something significantly more powerful than you can be fun in certain ways. In AvP, the aliens fall apart from small arms fire, and while the predator is much more difficult to kill, he's also more rare and somewhat stalking you. Most games handle bullet sponges in similar ways (except SiN Episodes, which really screwed those up.)
This just isn't good IP for that. Enemies designed to show how fragile humanity is aren't fun in huge numbers.

Yeah, the reaction was what I noticed in the video, the bugs seemed oblivious to the damage being done.

And the Bugs really are not Bullet Sponges, you have to hit them in the Nerve Stem to take them down fast. But will that be in the game? Who knows!!

I just hope this isn't some kind of wave shooter. But with 12 people for Coop, I'm not holding my breath.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Nov 28, 2022, 14:13
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 28, 2022, 14:13
Nov 28, 2022, 14:13

Nov 28, 2022, 13:45
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 28, 2022, 13:45
Nov 28, 2022, 13:45

This game sounds like it's twenty years old.

Nov 28, 2022, 13:12
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 28, 2022, 13:12
Nov 28, 2022, 13:12

Nov 28, 2022, 12:42
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 28, 2022, 12:42
Nov 28, 2022, 12:42

C'mon you apes! You want to live forever?
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Nov 28, 2022, 12:33
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 28, 2022, 12:33
Nov 28, 2022, 12:33

I mean, it was kind of inevitable. This is a movie that was made for it and I'm honestly surprised it took this long. You're not going to get a quality single player out of a game based on Starship Troopers, let's be honest, lol.

I don't mind. if they can simulate the millions of bugs attacking the outpost from the first movie, I'm all in.

Nov 28, 2022, 12:31
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 28, 2022, 12:31
Nov 28, 2022, 12:31

Looks okay to me. Terran Command was kind of fun. I'm all for more co-op games

Nov 28, 2022, 11:55
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 28, 2022, 11:55
Nov 28, 2022, 11:55

This is dumb as fuck. So the latest fad that every developer is chasing is this simpleton horde gangbang crap like Vermintide? Because making games/shooters with actual content and a story is TEH HARD? I'm not sure if this is rock bottom yet but I hope we're close because one thing is for sure: Like all fads this fad won't last forever. Ya hear that horde gangbang shoot'em up garbage fad? You. Won't. Last. Forever. Please(?).

Nov 28, 2022, 11:41
Re: Starship Troopers: Extermination Revealed Nov 28, 2022, 11:41
Nov 28, 2022, 11:41

Could it possibly be any worse than the last attempt at a Starship Troopers FPS (back in 2005)?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older