Out of the Blue

I may be in the market for a new phone soon. One day this week my alarm didn't go off because the battery was drained by the Sunday. I assumed that was on me, but last night it was dead by the time I went to bed again. This morning I put it on a charger and it jumped to 22% charge within a few minutes. I turned it on and it ran out of juice right away. I don't see any indication that this is due to malware, so it may just be the battery has hit the wall. But it's also possible this is all just due to me failing to pay attention (besides the weird 22% thing). It's a Galaxy S9, so it's been through a few cycles in its almost four-year run. I've got it fully charged again, which took a normal amount of time, so I'll keep tabs on it today to try and pin down what's going on.

Obituary: 'Power Rangers' Star Jason David Frank Dead By Suicide at 49.

Powerful Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science

Media

Creature Features

View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: Assault and Battery
Nov 22, 2022, 00:42
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 22, 2022, 00:42
Nov 22, 2022, 00:42

Give the app named "Carat" a try, Blue. It reviews apps on your phone to know if there are ones that are known-buggy on your particular device and may be draining power too quickly as a result. I've fixed a couple similar issues with that app over the years. Very handy. Haven't had to use it since I got my new phone, and it looks like there is another app called "Caratapp" now so make sure to look over the details first before installing!

Nov 21, 2022, 15:09
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 21, 2022, 15:09
Nov 21, 2022, 15:09

I enjoyed Top Gun Maverick, but you definitely have to check your brain at the door. Kudos to the guy who did that video. Pretty much nails every plot hole in the movie.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Nov 21, 2022, 11:23
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 21, 2022, 11:23
Nov 21, 2022, 11:23

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 21, 2022, 10:53:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 21, 2022, 08:36:
Heh, meanwhile my DHL postal nightmare continues, 2 packets disappeared now (it was my book and something else in my family), I was just at police precinct to basically get the legal ball running. FUN - they told me to make sure you have no location specified where tehy can put the stuff, and you CAN'T DO THAT ON DHL WEBSITE. The option is either enter text to specify location or press one of 5 selections for location, there is no way to say "Don't fucking put my packages anywhere without ringing" the police dude was baffled at this, but he was reluctant to take my .. eh, Strafanzeige (no idea what that is in English) anyway. I insisted because I needed legal continuity here in case I was going full nuclear.

Anyhow, DHL is quickly becoming the worst fucking company on the planet in my view. I just got off their support bot again who flat out told me "Package delivered and signed" and cut connection. There is zero way to speak to a human at DHL via phone if you have an (internal DHL) investigation triggered on something. Man...
Strafanzeige Is complaint according to translation programs.

Sometime in the furture they will find a residence stuffed with undelivered DHL packages.

I’d recommend getting a security camera but if it’s shipped by DHL…

In the box where you type the destination write "Don't fucking put my packages anywhere without ringing", maybe without the fucking.

Yah, not legally allowed to cam the backyard/streetfacing grounds I put "don't plant my packages ANYWHERE" in all caps but there is zero chance whatever bozo is messing my packages up reads or cares about anything. I know what to do if they ignore my complaining, I can send a package from "myself" to "myself" with a tracker in it, I can even coordinate that with local police apparently. So that's up next - obviously can't order the tracker online.

Nov 21, 2022, 11:07
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 21, 2022, 11:07
Nov 21, 2022, 11:07

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 21, 2022, 10:53:
In the box where you type the destination write "Don't fucking put my packages anywhere without ringing", maybe without the fucking.

No, definitely put the "fucking" in there. Do it in all caps to emphasize it.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Nov 21, 2022, 10:53
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 21, 2022, 10:53
Nov 21, 2022, 10:53

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 21, 2022, 08:36:
Heh, meanwhile my DHL postal nightmare continues, 2 packets disappeared now (it was my book and something else in my family), I was just at police precinct to basically get the legal ball running. FUN - they told me to make sure you have no location specified where tehy can put the stuff, and you CAN'T DO THAT ON DHL WEBSITE. The option is either enter text to specify location or press one of 5 selections for location, there is no way to say "Don't fucking put my packages anywhere without ringing" the police dude was baffled at this, but he was reluctant to take my .. eh, Strafanzeige (no idea what that is in English) anyway. I insisted because I needed legal continuity here in case I was going full nuclear.

Anyhow, DHL is quickly becoming the worst fucking company on the planet in my view. I just got off their support bot again who flat out told me "Package delivered and signed" and cut connection. There is zero way to speak to a human at DHL via phone if you have an (internal DHL) investigation triggered on something. Man...
Strafanzeige Is complaint according to translation programs.

Sometime in the furture they will find a residence stuffed with undelivered DHL packages.

I’d recommend getting a security camera but if it’s shipped by DHL…

"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Nov 21, 2022, 08:36
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 21, 2022, 08:36
Nov 21, 2022, 08:36

Nov 20, 2022, 20:53
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 20, 2022, 20:53
Nov 20, 2022, 20:53

1st Detailed Study of 'Misokinesia' Phenomenon Shows It Might Affect 1 in 3 People

I think I might have that. I love miso.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Nov 20, 2022, 20:51
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 20, 2022, 20:51
Nov 20, 2022, 20:51

When the battery in my S4 stopped holding a charge after 5 years, I got a new battery for $20 and swapped it in 30 seconds. The only reason I had to stop using it was because they upgraded the network and it wasn't compatible any longer. These modern phones suck in that regard.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Nov 20, 2022, 18:08
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 20, 2022, 18:08
Nov 20, 2022, 18:08

Using an S7 currently. It was an update from my S5 almost exactly a year ago. IIRC, I bought it for about $110, refurbished. Works fine for me.-- was very happy with the Samsung Smart Switch app, which allowed copying over the things I wanted but nothing else.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Nov 20, 2022, 17:42
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 20, 2022, 17:42
Nov 20, 2022, 17:42

I loved my S7 but it was on its way out earlier this year. If it's the battery, you can always replace it. If you decide on a new phone, I have the Galaxy S20 and it's a real workhorse, plus I can play FFXV Pocket Edition on the subway (when I don't feel like pulling the Switch Lite out of my bag for one reason or another).

Also, the camera on the S20 is really, really good for potential heron photos!
Kittens!

Nov 20, 2022, 17:21
Enahs

Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 20, 2022, 17:21
Nov 20, 2022, 17:21
 Enahs

fakespyder wrote on Nov 20, 2022, 17:05:
With my S9 I find the % indicator gets to low 20ies and will drop all the way down to 3. Thing is, it sits at 3% for far longer than is normal.

I had to get this phone during Covid as my old motorla would not support our covid checkin app.
Awful phone in terms of customization and Samsung's bloatware you can't uninstall. I wish I had done more research but I needed that stupid covid app in order to get around.
Put this on your S9:
https://e.foundation/e-os/
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Nov 20, 2022, 17:05
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 20, 2022, 17:05
Nov 20, 2022, 17:05

With my S9 I find the % indicator gets to low 20ies and will drop all the way down to 3. Thing is, it sits at 3% for far longer than is normal.

I had to get this phone during Covid as my old motorla would not support our covid checkin app.
Awful phone in terms of customization and Samsung's bloatware you can't uninstall. I wish I had done more research but I needed that stupid covid app in order to get around.

Re: New class of anti-depressant for...
Nov 20, 2022, 17:04
Re: New class of anti-depressant for... Nov 20, 2022, 17:04
Nov 20, 2022, 17:04

WaltSee wrote on Nov 20, 2022, 14:51:
...Mice! The last of the story maintains it works on "depressed mice." What?...;)
There's a twitter account dedicated to pointing out news articles that do this. One of the few things twitter is good for:
https://twitter.com/justsaysinmice

Nov 20, 2022, 15:54
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 20, 2022, 15:54
Nov 20, 2022, 15:54

I watched TopGunMav lastnight.
Lame propaganda.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2022, 17:10.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Nov 20, 2022, 15:50
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 20, 2022, 15:50
Nov 20, 2022, 15:50

Walt being wrong about science, example #9471.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Nov 20, 2022, 14:55
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 20, 2022, 14:55
Nov 20, 2022, 14:55

Blue this might give you more insight to what's going on with your battery as it seems Samsung phones tend to have battery issues after X amount of time.

Re: New class of anti-depressant for...
Nov 20, 2022, 14:51
Re: New class of anti-depressant for... Nov 20, 2022, 14:51
Nov 20, 2022, 14:51

...Mice! The last of the story maintains it works on "depressed mice." What?...;) We have a depressed mouse who is starving, sitting six inches from a hunk of cheese, but thinking, "I don't care. I' don't want it. I never want to eat again. I hate my mouse life." Science to the rescue! Mouse is injected directly into his brain with the new anti-depressant. Two hours later, mouse then eats cheese? Article doesn't say anything about cheese, actually. But we are to assume the mouse is over his depression due to the new anti-depressant injected into his brain? Does he laugh, tell jokes, sing songs, what???

Unfortunately, however, what works in mice rarely works in humans, if ever. This is what happens when news is scarce, I guess. I've lost count of the "New breakthrough" articles I've read about miraculous substances that work in mice but are never heard from again.
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Nov 20, 2022, 14:35
WarPig

Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 20, 2022, 14:35
Nov 20, 2022, 14:35
 WarPig

When my old phone, a Galaxy S5, started chewing through batteries, I found an app called "GSam Battery Monitor" that was able to find what was using up the battery. It turned out that the built-in Samsung music app, which I didn't even use, decided that it needed to constantly find and index all the music files on the phone. I had to completely shut down the music app to make it stop, but once I did, the battery life went back to normal.

Nov 20, 2022, 14:27
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 20, 2022, 14:27
Nov 20, 2022, 14:27

Oh yeah that reminds me - some of the newer phones have an option to "stop" charging after a certain point. My Samsung Galaxy S22 will top out at 85%. In theory this should prolong the battery life expectancy. Although I wish it would also stop trickle charging when it hits 85% (at least if I use the wireless charging pad).

Nov 20, 2022, 14:03
Re: OotB: Assault and Battery Nov 20, 2022, 14:03
Nov 20, 2022, 14:03

I use the AccuBattery app and have set it to alarm at 80% charge so I know to unplug it. I also never go below 30%.
If you install it and let it run for a few charge cycles it will give your battery health.
The app says my phone still has 94% of its original battery capacity.
If you're really happy with that S9 you could probably get the battery replaced for ~$100.

Edit
None of the above info does you any good unless you know how old the battery is.
My battery is 1 and 1/2 years old and it gets a lot of use, size 5000mAh.
I charge it everyday.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2022, 14:16.
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older