CD PROJEKT Unveils New IP, Cyberpunk Sequel, and Five Witcher Games

Okay, here's a lot of news from CD PROJEKT. Strap in. First, a message from Marcin Iwiński announces he is stepping down from his role as Joint CEO of the company he co-founded. Word is he's submitting his candidacy for the role of Chairman of the Supervisory Board. And the company has a lot of news too. In a series of tweets, CD PROJEKT unveils its upcoming plans include a Cyberpunk 2077 sequel codenamed Project Orion, a Witcher trilogy, and two additional The Witcher games. With all that on deck, and recalling the rough launch of Cyberpunk 2077, it's a little surprising to hear the company is also currently working on a new standalone IP codenamed Project Hadar. An no, we don't know why all theses are "projects" rather than "projekts." Anyway, all this news is compatible with recent indications that the company is currently developing two AAA games and that a new Witcher saga is expected to include more than one game. Thankfully, CD PROJEKT RED Global PR Director Radek Grabowski tweets a one-pager rounding up the news on all these codenamed projects:
Project Sirius
Game developed by The Molasses Flood with support from the CD PROJEKT RED team, set in The Witcher universe. Compared to existing CD PROJEKT RED games, this one targets a much broader audience. Sirius will include single player and multiplayer gameplay.

Project Polaris
This project launches the new Witcher trilogy, expanding the universe presented in past Witcher games. The saga will consist of three games which we plan to release during a six-year publishing cycle, starting with the release date of Polaris itself.

In technical terms, the second and third part of the saga will be based on the foundation which we put in place for Polaris. By following this approach we intend to improve our game development pipeline without giving up on any of our artistic ambitions, or on our intent to raise the bar ever higher with each successive release.

Project Canis Majoris
A full-fledged release set in The Witcher universe, to be developed by an external studio under the supervision of experienced developers who have previously worked on Witcher games. In terms of technology - we intend to use Unreal Engine 5 and the toolset created for Polaris.

Project Orion
A Cyberpunk release which will further develop the potential embodied by this universe. Project Orion will be developed by CD PROJEKT RED North America, which will comprise the newly created Boston hub along with our existing Vancouver team. This studio is separate from The Molasses Flood (which is working on Sirius and is also based in Boston). Establishing a new studio - CD PROJEKT RED North America - will enable us to fully tap into the North American talent pool.

New IP - Project Hadar
A new original IP. For the first time in its history, CD PROJEKT RED is developing an entirely new universe from scratch. Early conceptual work began in 2021. As of the publication date of this document there is ongoing work on the foundations of this world - laying the setting for a third separate product line in the future.
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans
Oct 6, 2022, 12:18
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 6, 2022, 12:18
Oct 6, 2022, 12:18

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 4, 2022, 22:41:
Gonna guess that Witcher 1 and 2 are gonna be remade with the Witcher 3 engine.

Witcher 3 was REDengine.. which they are dropping. More likley if they remake it, it'll be unreal engine.

I'm not sure if you've played Witcher 1 in the last decade but it had some pretty awful combat but the story is fantastic. I really liked Witcher 1 and 2 stories. Letho of Gulet is still one of the most relatable villains.

Oct 5, 2022, 09:29
Dev
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 5, 2022, 09:29
Oct 5, 2022, 09:29
Dev

Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 4, 2022, 17:13:
Yeah, I'm sure I'll check it out once I'm done with a few other games. I was kind of holding off until most of the major patching was done, and also until I've upgraded my graphics card (which I still haven't done because the prices are still ridiculous)
Prices aren't likely to get much better than they are right now.
With 30x nvidia series way overstocked and getting slashed in prices.
The 40x series is already announced in price.
If you are looking for the midrange you can wait until the next AMD, because that may sway things at that area since there's more competition, because based on last few AMD releases from what I've seen that's where they are competing with and can't compete at the top end.

Oct 5, 2022, 03:14
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 5, 2022, 03:14
Oct 5, 2022, 03:14

I’m most curious about Orion as I prefer sci-fi over fantasy. On the other hand Orion judging from their Twitter post is not even in planning phase yet so it prolly won’t see the light of day in at least 5, more like 10 years from now…

Oct 4, 2022, 22:41
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 22:41
Oct 4, 2022, 22:41

Gonna guess that Witcher 1 and 2 are gonna be remade with the Witcher 3 engine.

Still hoping for CP2077 Online

Oct 4, 2022, 19:19
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 19:19
Oct 4, 2022, 19:19

CD PROJEKT Unveils New IP, Cyberpunk Sequel, and Five Witcher Games

So basically their development roadmap out to 2077.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Oct 4, 2022, 18:41
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 18:41
Oct 4, 2022, 18:41

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 4, 2022, 13:23:
I hope for the next Cyberpunk that your background choices matter more than just a few flavor options in text. Outside of the prologue, your background didn't have a huge impact on how you played CP2077.

Has there been a game where background choices for your character recently? The only series I can recall is Mass Effect, where in-game choices mattered (until they didn't). The more important your choices the more divergent your budget becomes; you're either crafting custom dialogue and quests or managing dialogue and branching stories; all of which is only experienced by some of the audience.

Much easier when you had only text or an end-game narrated summary.

Oct 4, 2022, 17:33
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 17:33
Oct 4, 2022, 17:33

Man..

I'm super fucking pumped and excited to see they are doing another Cyberpunk...

Cyberpunk hit me hard.. not sure if it's because I like sci-fi like Blade Runner, Soylent Green, 12 Monkeys, Robocop, Minority Report, etc.. It just hit the feels of thing I like and really had a fantastic setting and story.

Oct 4, 2022, 17:13
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 17:13
Oct 4, 2022, 17:13

Timmeh wrote on Oct 4, 2022, 17:00:
Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 4, 2022, 15:16:
“We thought Cyberpunk sucked, but we still sold 20 million copies! F*** it, let’s crank out 7 more games!”
I am still playing Cyberpunk on Xbox Series X.

There are things i wish they had done but it is still awesome and even now a year later and im still in awe of detail of Night City.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll check it out once I'm done with a few other games. I was kind of holding off until most of the major patching was done, and also until I've upgraded my graphics card (which I still haven't done because the prices are still ridiculous)

Oct 4, 2022, 17:00
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 17:00
Oct 4, 2022, 17:00

Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 4, 2022, 15:16:
“We thought Cyberpunk sucked, but we still sold 20 million copies! F*** it, let’s crank out 7 more games!”
I am still playing Cyberpunk on Xbox Series X.

There are things i wish they had done but it is still awesome and even now a year later and im still in awe of detail of Night City.

Oct 4, 2022, 16:45
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 16:45
Oct 4, 2022, 16:45

The 2 years old AMD SMT bug still hasn't been fixed ( despite a user made fix that works that has been existing for 2 years ), instead they focus on adding a new feature, the "extreme RT" mode. And now they have ambitions for sequels and other games?

What do you not get in "fix your base game first" before expanding features and/or working on other projects?

CDPR... They never learn.

Oct 4, 2022, 15:43
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 15:43
Oct 4, 2022, 15:43

This seems like an overly ambitious schedule for CDPR, but good luck to them.

Although, they are already stating at least three projects are going to be farmed out to other studios partially or fully, and the Polaris project is going to be a trilogy based off whatever their modified Unreal engine for Witcher ends up being, so maybe it makes sense from their point of view.

Finish up CP2077 first though, okay?

Oct 4, 2022, 15:30
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 15:30
Oct 4, 2022, 15:30

As long as people don't fall for CDR again and don't preorder, everything's gonna be alright.

Oct 4, 2022, 15:16
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 15:16
Oct 4, 2022, 15:16

Oct 4, 2022, 15:08
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 15:08
Oct 4, 2022, 15:08

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 4, 2022, 14:49:
They must have a lot of faith in development going a lot more swimmingly using Unreal now.

Yeah, three games in six years is crazy talk. Every single game of CDPR has been massively delayed in the past and they said the same thing between projects like how their experience with the RED engine is going to make it so much easier to deliver the next game.
It also seems a bit questionable to announce such a schedule given the exploitation of CDPR employees due to long lasting periods of crunch time. What kind of signal are they sending to their teams here? "Buckle up, fuckers. We're gonna put the pedal to the metal even harder"?

Anyway, the reality will probably be closer to nine years or maybe even double digits. My guess is they just said three games in six years for the investors. I hope their game schedule is not tied to Netflix in some stupid way. That would really suck since two years is guaranteed to lead to buggy, incomplete games given CD Projekt's track record of alpha, or early beta at best, releases.
Threadcrapper Extraordinaire

Oct 4, 2022, 14:49
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 14:49
Oct 4, 2022, 14:49

They must have a lot of faith in development going a lot more swimmingly using Unreal now.

Oct 4, 2022, 14:06
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 14:06
Oct 4, 2022, 14:06

Beamer wrote on Oct 4, 2022, 13:55:
I don't think they can release 3 W3 quality Witcher games in 6 years. Not with the depth. Not with any innovation between games. And not with the polish we've come to expect, particularly the polish that happens post-release.

Yeah, my biggest concern is we won't see the same polish on the overall production of the game as W3 had if they're outsourcing it to another company. I dunno but I think no matter how well the new Witcher games look using Unreal Engine 5, if they cannot match the writing quality and dialogue of 3, they won't live up to the hype.

Oct 4, 2022, 13:55
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 13:55
Oct 4, 2022, 13:55

I don't think they can release 3 W3 quality Witcher games in 6 years. Not with the depth. Not with any innovation between games. And not with the polish we've come to expect, particularly the polish that happens post-release.

Oct 4, 2022, 13:48
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 13:48
Oct 4, 2022, 13:48

The real news here is Project Hadar. I'm definitely curious to find out what CD Projekt can come up with all by themselves. Will they surpass themselves when freed from the shackles of an established setting and lore? Or will they have difficulties to channel their creative talent without the confines and definitions of such an established setting?

I'm also curious what kind of setting they will choose. They got fantasy and scifi covered with Witcher and Cyberpunk. So what's it gonna be? Post-apoc maybe? Or a different flavor of fantasy or scifi?

Oh well, everything is certainly years away from release, and for me, I'll always have to add a couple years, since I will only buy complete editions from these jokers. It should still be interesting to see what they come up with. I kind of hope it won't be post-apoc (Fallout-like) since that isn't really my preferred setting.
Threadcrapper Extraordinaire

Oct 4, 2022, 13:43
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 13:43
Oct 4, 2022, 13:43

Hell yeah. Guess we'll see if V made it or not. Maybe a new character? It would be cool if they added the surviving characters from Edgerunners as people to interact with too.

And to those that say I'm spoiling the game, the game has been out for awhile and patched, no amount of waiting will add 'X' list of overhyped features. Just bite the bullet chooms and play it. It's a story game not a GTAV sandbox.

Oct 4, 2022, 13:23
Re: CDP Cyberpunk/Witcher Plans Oct 4, 2022, 13:23
Oct 4, 2022, 13:23

I hope for the next Cyberpunk that your background choices matter more than just a few flavor options in text. Outside of the prologue, your background didn't have a huge impact on how you played CP2077.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older