Respawn on Harassment

A tweet from Respawn Entertainment has a statement about harassment of the company's development team. Sadly, the Apex Legend developer deems following message necessary:
Recently, we have seen increased harassment towards members of our development team.

We welcome community input, however, the line between constructive feedback and the harassment of our dev team cannot be crossed.

We want to remind our players that we have a zero tolerance policy for threats and the harassment of our developers . We will take appropriate action to ensure the health and safety of our team.

We love hearing feedback and will continue to work alongside our community to foster a respectful, collaborative environment, and uphold the competitive integrity of our game.
View : : :
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Respawn on Harassment
Sep 23, 2022, 12:14
Re: Respawn on Harassment Sep 23, 2022, 12:14
Sep 23, 2022, 12:14

Argonius the 3rd wrote on Sep 23, 2022, 12:11:
Beamer wrote on Sep 23, 2022, 11:33:
Recently, I had someone defend Elon Musk to me by saying "people just don't like him because Big Auto tells them not to, and because he's a troll."

I was a bit surprised. First, does anyone really not like Elon because Ford tells them not to? The overlap between giant raised truck guys and Elon Musk seems to have really collapsed of late, even if they still hate Tesla they love Elon. And second, why would you excuse someone being an ass that bothers everyone just because their goal is to bother everyone? Someone acting like an asshole because they're an asshole and someone acting like an asshole because they're pretending to be an asshole is still choosing to act like an asshole.

Who cares about Elon Musk ? Don't you people have a life or something ? What's this constant need to be always outraged by people you've never met ? FFS get off twitter.

I'm not on Twitter, but is it really weird to be "obsessed" with the richest man in the world, particularly when he uses that wealth to have immense influence in our nation for his own gain, or did you miss when he deliberately squashed public transportation plans in LA to ensure they still buy his products?

And, for a discussion about trolls, can you name a bigger or more influential one?

Sep 23, 2022, 12:11
Re: Respawn on Harassment Sep 23, 2022, 12:11
Sep 23, 2022, 12:11

Beamer wrote on Sep 23, 2022, 11:33:
Recently, I had someone defend Elon Musk to me by saying "people just don't like him because Big Auto tells them not to, and because he's a troll."

I was a bit surprised. First, does anyone really not like Elon because Ford tells them not to? The overlap between giant raised truck guys and Elon Musk seems to have really collapsed of late, even if they still hate Tesla they love Elon. And second, why would you excuse someone being an ass that bothers everyone just because their goal is to bother everyone? Someone acting like an asshole because they're an asshole and someone acting like an asshole because they're pretending to be an asshole is still choosing to act like an asshole.

Who cares about Elon Musk ? Don't you people have a life or something ? What's this constant need to be always outraged by people you've never met ? FFS get off twitter.

Sep 23, 2022, 11:33
Re: Respawn on Harassment Sep 23, 2022, 11:33
Sep 23, 2022, 11:33

Sep 23, 2022, 11:29
Re: Respawn on Harassment Sep 23, 2022, 11:29
Sep 23, 2022, 11:29

coldcut wrote on Sep 23, 2022, 07:03:
There is a very big difference between "troll culture" and "harassment".

Not anymore, unfortunately. When shit groups and sites like 4chan, 8kun, and KF were allowed to operate for years with impunity, it seeped out and tainted everything else. Harassment was then folded in to being just another tool in trolling. Long, long gone are the days where just getting someone riled up was the extent of trolling.

Case in point, years ago I worked for a dev/publisher that solely did MMOs. Due to the shit we dealt with on a daily basis, we had t-shirts made up that said "It's not a good day on the Internet unless my race, gender, sexual orientation, and my mother's honor have been called in to question." Threats of death and rape weren't uncommon even back then.

Ergo, there isn't as big a gulf between the two as you might think.

/---\

Hardline Mike wrote on Sep 23, 2022, 10:13:
Tolerating casual death threats and chalking it up as just trolling is the reason they are so pervasive in the first place.

Yup. Sources and individuals who did it should have been taken down hard many years ago but they weren't and today here we stand. Even swatting happens so regularly now most of us don't feel that shocked by it happening.

Respawns' pollyanna corpospeak release isn't going to make a single iota's worth of difference.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Sep 23, 2022, 10:13
Re: Respawn on Harassment Sep 23, 2022, 10:13
Sep 23, 2022, 10:13

Tolerating casual death threats and chalking it up as just trolling is the reason they are so pervasive in the first place.
"It's like you have a neon sign that just says 'raw dog me! I'm a bottom!'" -Queen Maeve

Sep 23, 2022, 07:03
Re: Respawn on Harassment Sep 23, 2022, 07:03
Sep 23, 2022, 07:03

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 22, 2022, 22:10:
Is this Respawn's first week on the internet? Sure, harassment sucks and shouldn't happen but troll culture is the predominant culture on the internet at large.
There is a very big difference between "troll culture" and "harassment".

Sep 22, 2022, 22:10
Re: Respawn on Harassment Sep 22, 2022, 22:10
Sep 22, 2022, 22:10

Is this Respawn's first week on the internet? Sure, harassment sucks and shouldn't happen but troll culture is the predominant culture on the internet at large.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older