11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Evening Mobilization
Sep 22, 2022, 18:18
Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 22, 2022, 18:18
Sep 22, 2022, 18:18

jdreyer wrote on Sep 22, 2022, 15:45:
The Flying Penguin wrote on Sep 22, 2022, 09:21:
Ridiculous idea. Is the fed going to pay states for annual inspections to make sure the breathalyzers are working and haven't been tampered with?
Doesn't your car already have to go through an annual safety inspection? Brakes, steering, wheel alignment, emissions, etc. This would be just one more thing.

No car inspections here in Florida.
- “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.” -George Carlin

Sep 22, 2022, 15:57
Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 22, 2022, 15:57
Sep 22, 2022, 15:57

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 22, 2022, 08:16:
Not really a safety device, more like Big Government controlling your life. Disabling the device will make some people rich.

Assuming this becomes law, the only people who will get rich when the safety device is disabled is the government when they fine people for doing so.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Re: NTSB wants alcohol detection systems installed in all new cars in US.
Sep 22, 2022, 15:54
Re: NTSB wants alcohol detection systems installed in all new cars in US. Sep 22, 2022, 15:54
Sep 22, 2022, 15:54

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 22, 2022, 02:25:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 22, 2022, 02:08:
I hear you about the surveillance state, and this device should never collect and transmit such data, but these devices are already installed in thousands of vehicles as part of the rehabilitation of drunk drivers. It would be similar in effect to seatbelts and airbags: just another safety device.

I know that breathalyzers are part of dealing with people who can't put a bottle down. However, last year alone, 14,926,900 vehicles were sold. We don't need intrusive devices for what amounts to a minuscule amount of people. Also, these devices will transmit data. Insurance companies are already bribing incentivizing people to plug little snitches in to their ODB ports. It's a short hop to have that data transferred by those snitch devices. Seat belts and airbags apply to everyone equally in regards to safety. These devices are compromising the privacy of everyone for a tiny fraction of the driving public.

I do not see it as a safety device at all.

If, in a decade, when I buy another vehicle and it comes with one of these, it will be the first thing I bypass before I even start on performance mods.
12,000 people die per year in alcohol-related car accidents. The cost is $44B. Preventing most of those deaths and cost would be a huge win. A lot of the arguments I hear on breathalyzer issue call back to seatbelt laws 30 years ago. That turned out to be a big nothing burger and everyone wears seatbelts these days.

I agree that capturing and storing said data would be problematic, but it's part of a larger issue. As automobiles get more plugged in, there are huge privacy and crime-prevention issues with capturing that data and making car functionality remotely controllable. New laws are required to deal with this change.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Sep 22, 2022, 15:45
Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 22, 2022, 15:45
Sep 22, 2022, 15:45

The Flying Penguin wrote on Sep 22, 2022, 09:21:
Ridiculous idea. Is the fed going to pay states for annual inspections to make sure the breathalyzers are working and haven't been tampered with?
Doesn't your car already have to go through an annual safety inspection? Brakes, steering, wheel alignment, emissions, etc. This would be just one more thing.

Sep 22, 2022, 09:21
Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 22, 2022, 09:21
Sep 22, 2022, 09:21

- “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.” -George Carlin

Sep 22, 2022, 08:16
Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 22, 2022, 08:16
Sep 22, 2022, 08:16

Not really a safety device, more like Big Government controlling your life. Disabling the device will make some people rich.

Sep 22, 2022, 02:25
Re: NTSB wants alcohol detection systems installed in all new cars in US. Sep 22, 2022, 02:25
Sep 22, 2022, 02:25

jdreyer wrote on Sep 22, 2022, 02:08:
I hear you about the surveillance state, and this device should never collect and transmit such data, but these devices are already installed in thousands of vehicles as part of the rehabilitation of drunk drivers. It would be similar in effect to seatbelts and airbags: just another safety device.

I know that breathalyzers are part of dealing with people who can't put a bottle down. However, last year alone, 14,926,900 vehicles were sold. We don't need intrusive devices for what amounts to a minuscule amount of people. Also, these devices will transmit data. Insurance companies are already bribing incentivizing people to plug little snitches in to their ODB ports. It's a short hop to have that data transferred by those snitch devices. Seat belts and airbags apply to everyone equally in regards to safety. These devices are compromising the privacy of everyone for a tiny fraction of the driving public.

I do not see it as a safety device at all.

If, in a decade, when I buy another vehicle and it comes with one of these, it will be the first thing I bypass before I even start on performance mods.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Sep 22, 2022, 02:10
Re: NTSB wants alcohol detection systems installed in all new cars in US. Sep 22, 2022, 02:10
Sep 22, 2022, 02:10

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 21, 2022, 21:35:

But I do think an automobile should draw blood to check for morphine ketamine fentanyl heroin codeine cocaine ecstacy pcp krokodil methamphetamine nicotine and high cholesterol.
If any of those are detected in your blood your car won't start.
The testing device could be made by theranos, so you know it's good.
You should pitch this to Ms. Holmes and go into business with her. She's known for banging her business partners, so your chances of getting lucky are pretty high.

Sep 22, 2022, 02:08
Re: NTSB wants alcohol detection systems installed in all new cars in US. Sep 22, 2022, 02:08
Sep 22, 2022, 02:08

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 21, 2022, 21:10:
How about "no". The NTSB can fuck right off with that nanny state bullshit. I don't drink but I can easily imagine that system being abused by the surveillance state. I can also imagine that system malfunctioning and preventing a person from the legitimate use of their property.

Sep 21, 2022, 21:35
Re: NTSB wants alcohol detection systems installed in all new cars in US. Sep 21, 2022, 21:35
Sep 21, 2022, 21:35

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 21, 2022, 21:10:
How about "no". The NTSB can fuck right off with that nanny state bullshit. I don't drink but I can easily imagine that system being abused by the surveillance state. I can also imagine that system malfunctioning and preventing a person from the legitimate use of their property.
Or say you did have a couple of drinks and are legally impaired. But your buddy managed to swing an ax into his leg while chopping brush. You're out of phone range. You're just supposed to watch him bleed out.

I don't see this lockout going much further.

But I do think an automobile should draw blood to check for morphine ketamine fentanyl heroin codeine cocaine ecstacy pcp krokodil methamphetamine nicotine and high cholesterol.
If any of those are detected in your blood your car won't start.
The testing device could be made by theranos, so you know it's good.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

NTSB wants alcohol detection systems installed in all new cars in US.
Sep 21, 2022, 21:10
NTSB wants alcohol detection systems installed in all new cars in US. Sep 21, 2022, 21:10
Sep 21, 2022, 21:10

"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older