Star Citizen Passes a Half-Billion Dollars

The Stretch Goals Page on the Roberts Space Industries Website shows that the crowdfunding of Star Citizen and Squadron 42 has now passed the half-billion dollar mark (thanks TweakTown). As of this writing the site says funding for the space games is now at $500,076,598 from 4,096,882 backers. To save you the math, this means over four million people have pledged an average of over $122.00 each on this project.
View : : :
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen Passes a Half-Billion Dollars
Sep 26, 2022, 00:29
Re: Star Citizen Passes a Half-Billion Dollars Sep 26, 2022, 00:29
Sep 26, 2022, 00:29

jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2022, 00:27:
Cenotaph wrote on Sep 21, 2022, 23:33:
it's not a scam, it's Chris that has been allowed to run rampant with his ideas. There's already a lot of working tech in place and a game to play, Im just not interested in a half finished MMO let alone a fully finished one. I signed up for SQ42
I think that TheyAreComing is making the argument that the intentional delay of SQ 42 makes it a scam: they know much interest will dry up once its released, especially if it's underwhelming (how can it not be after all this time and hype?). So they're holding it back, even though a million people have paid for it, and it could have easily been out the door a year or three ago. Maybe "scam" is too harsh a word, but strategic delay of the promised game in order keep people interested skates close to the line. How many more years can they go not releasing anything at all before you start to feel cheated Ceno? If 2030 rolls around and SQ 42 still not done, would you be okay with that?

No, the interest won't dry up at all. The reason is simple, there's no financial incentive to hurry development and the two games share technology. Those are the primary reasons for the delay

Sep 23, 2022, 00:27
Re: Star Citizen Passes a Half-Billion Dollars Sep 23, 2022, 00:27
Sep 23, 2022, 00:27

Cenotaph wrote on Sep 21, 2022, 23:33:
it's not a scam, it's Chris that has been allowed to run rampant with his ideas. There's already a lot of working tech in place and a game to play, Im just not interested in a half finished MMO let alone a fully finished one. I signed up for SQ42
I think that TheyAreComing is making the argument that the intentional delay of SQ 42 makes it a scam: they know much interest will dry up once its released, especially if it's underwhelming (how can it not be after all this time and hype?). So they're holding it back, even though a million people have paid for it, and it could have easily been out the door a year or three ago. Maybe "scam" is too harsh a word, but strategic delay of the promised game in order keep people interested skates close to the line. How many more years can they go not releasing anything at all before you start to feel cheated Ceno? If 2030 rolls around and SQ 42 still not done, would you be okay with that?
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Sep 22, 2022, 12:41
Re: Star Citizen Passes a Half-Billion Dollars Sep 22, 2022, 12:41
Sep 22, 2022, 12:41

Razumen wrote on Sep 22, 2022, 00:05:
As a famous developer whose name I can't remember once said, absolutely no one in the industry knows how long it will take to make any specific game.

Historically all those famous developers had deadlines, budgets, and goals to complete before running out funding. What is the incentive for anyone to finish a dream project that continues to keep you in charge and luxuriously accommodate your lifestyle at the same time?

Sep 22, 2022, 12:34
Re: Star Citizen Passes a Half-Billion Dollars Sep 22, 2022, 12:34
Sep 22, 2022, 12:34

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 21, 2022, 00:31:
[30 mins to get out of bed to a hanger? *snickers* 5 mins tops.
Flight time to pickup cargo... well are you doing a delivery (fed-ex mission), or cargo hauling (going and buying cargo and running around to make a profit)? A fed-ex mission, maybe 5 mins (unless ya started on Orison which is a gas giant and can take 5-15 mins to fly out of depending on ship), and Cargo running depends on the cargo you're hauling and the final sell point (20 mins tops).

Hyperbole to be sure, I download and take a cruise a few times a year and look at the new pictures of ships in the store. My only lasting impression is time consuming contextual button hitting with animation, an interface designed by programmers, with nuggets of a good time spread conservatively about (when something works well, imagery, etc). There are parts that are nice, but the whole thing is just filled with issues. Some of which are fine, it's an alpha.

Sep 22, 2022, 12:25
Re: Star Citizen Passes a Half-Billion Dollars Sep 22, 2022, 12:25
Sep 22, 2022, 12:25

Razumen wrote on Sep 20, 2022, 21:57:
Gonna amend that other guys post: The most plentiful things in the universe are vacuum, hydrogen, idiocy and people that make dumb comments on games they've obviously never played.

I have a merchantman (picture), a Herald, a Star Trek runabout, and a Terrapin. There is no game, there are broken set pieces of gameplay, but there is plenty of "immersion" filler that wastes time in anything that would be the foundation of a functional game.

It is however, a flightsim nerd cum spaceflightsum nerd wetdream of procedural non-events.

Sep 22, 2022, 09:45
Verno

Re: Star Citizen Passes a Half-Billion Dollars Sep 22, 2022, 09:45
Sep 22, 2022, 09:45
 Verno

Razumen wrote on Sep 22, 2022, 05:11:
Spoken like someone that doesn't understand game dev, so your assertion really means nothing. 8-9 years is NORMAL for big games these days

This wasn't addressed at me but I feel like I have to respond because 8-9 years is absolutely not normal for game development. In fact few games are ever developed for that length of time and even fewer ones succeed at market. For every RDR2 you have a DNF or a dozen other games that simply never came out. There are certainly outliers but the average span of a high budget AAA title is more like 4 years.

Is Star Citizen attempting things that few others have? Sure but that's not a positive. In fact that's part of the problem - scope creep. The project continually evolves its goals but rarely meets any milestones. This results in a never ending dev cycle which is self-destructive. When you have dev cycles this long, you run into problems with outdated tools and employee turnover. It is simply not conducive to releasing a quality game and certainly not one that is attempting to be four different games at the same time.

Anyways he got backing based on his Wing Commander creds and used it to instead create a never ending monster that eats money but produces little gameplay. I still haven't heard a real argument from any of the SC defenders as to why SQ42 isn't complete.
Playing: Total War: Warhammer 3 Immortal Empires, Elden Ring replay, Into The Breach Advanced Edition
Watching: The Old Man, Arcane, House of the Dragon

Sep 22, 2022, 09:03
Re: Star Citizen Passes a Half-Billion Dollars Sep 22, 2022, 09:03
Sep 22, 2022, 09:03

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 21, 2022, 08:12:
a skeleton of game which works most of the time. I think it is pretty clear the game is no where close to being ready for prime time
Congrats, you just described what a game in alpha is, which is exactly what SC is. If you don't want to play an unfinished game, that's fine as well, but it's disingenous to insinuate that the game isn't and hasn't made big progress, and that many players are enjoying playing it currently.
I'm being disingenuous? I understand the idea of a game in alpha just fine. I've played many games while they were in alpha.

What is true is that it just hasn't progressed as fast as people WANT it to.
And exactly how much progress did you expect after 10 years of development? How long do you expect the development to take? 25 years? There are people who enjoy playing it. That doesn't really say much. I mean there are people who enjoy getting beaten, I don't plan on doing that either. And how many of those people are fooling themselves because they've invested so much money they "need" to enjoy it to validate their investment? My assessment was kind or "nuanced" as Quinn put it and stopped well short of criticisms I could have made and others have and will.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Re: Star Citizen @ $Half-Billion
Sep 22, 2022, 07:31
Re: Star Citizen @ $Half-Billion Sep 22, 2022, 07:31
Sep 22, 2022, 07:31

Cenotaph wrote on Sep 22, 2022, 06:33:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 21, 2022, 17:55:
I was a day-1 backer of this (#7003) and have been nothing but disappointed by how its been run since then. My main hope was to have some single player content within 5 years while they worked out the massively multiplayer crap, and 10 years in now there is nothing to show on that front, and a shell of a game that serves to sell virtual items instead of actually hitting any meaningful goals for the single player campaign that they promised for years.

Haven't tried any of the builds since 2020, after deciding to just wait until at least the single player was released. Who knows if that will ever happen now? Seems Derek Smart was right about this from the start. I'm just glad I didn't put in more than $35 on it, but still feel scammed for that.

Derek Smart was only ever interested in slamming Chris, he's never been right about any of it. The issue is Chris with his ideas and nobody to challenge him to force him to make difficult decisions to get the game done.
With so much money available there's also no need to be quick to release SQ42, that and a lot of technology is shared between the two games.

Derek Smart was right about Sandi being Chris Roberts wife.

Sep 22, 2022, 06:33
Re: Star Citizen @ $Half-Billion Sep 22, 2022, 06:33
Sep 22, 2022, 06:33

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 21, 2022, 17:55:
I was a day-1 backer of this (#7003) and have been nothing but disappointed by how its been run since then. My main hope was to have some single player content within 5 years while they worked out the massively multiplayer crap, and 10 years in now there is nothing to show on that front, and a shell of a game that serves to sell virtual items instead of actually hitting any meaningful goals for the single player campaign that they promised for years.

Haven't tried any of the builds since 2020, after deciding to just wait until at least the single player was released. Who knows if that will ever happen now? Seems Derek Smart was right about this from the start. I'm just glad I didn't put in more than $35 on it, but still feel scammed for that.

Derek Smart was only ever interested in slamming Chris, he's never been right about any of it. The issue is Chris with his ideas and nobody to challenge him to force him to make difficult decisions to get the game done.
With so much money available there's also no need to be quick to release SQ42, that and a lot of technology is shared between the two games.

Sep 22, 2022, 05:41
Re: Star Citizen Passes a Half-Billion Dollars Sep 22, 2022, 05:41
Sep 22, 2022, 05:41

A spot of oldie music:
Daydream believer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvqeSJlgaNk

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/star-citizen-creator-says-promised-gameplay-is-not-a-pipe-dream
Pre-production began in 2010, production starting in 2011, announced september 2012.

Sep 22, 2022, 05:11
Re: Star Citizen Passes a Half-Billion Dollars Sep 22, 2022, 05:11
Sep 22, 2022, 05:11

Teddy wrote on Sep 22, 2022, 00:38:
Congrats, you just described what a game in alpha is, which is exactly what SC is.

SC has been in development for more than 10 years. If they're not past the Alpha stage by now, they're literally NEVER going to finish the game.

Spoken like someone that doesn't understand game dev, so your assertion really means nothing. 8-9 years is NORMAL for big games these days, and SC is tackling a lot of issues most never even have to consider.

Sep 22, 2022, 00:38
Re: Star Citizen Passes a Half-Billion Dollars Sep 22, 2022, 00:38
Sep 22, 2022, 00:38

Congrats, you just described what a game in alpha is, which is exactly what SC is.

SC has been in development for more than 10 years. If they're not past the Alpha stage by now, they're literally NEVER going to finish the game.

Sep 22, 2022, 00:05
Re: Star Citizen Passes a Half-Billion Dollars Sep 22, 2022, 00:05
Sep 22, 2022, 00:05

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 21, 2022, 08:12:
a skeleton of game which works most of the time. I think it is pretty clear the game is no where close to being ready for prime time

Congrats, you just described what a game in alpha is, which is exactly what SC is. If you don't want to play an unfinished game, that's fine as well, but it's disingenous to insinuate that the game isn't and hasn't made big progress, and that many players are enjoying playing it currently. What is true is that it just hasn't progressed as fast as people WANT it to.

As a famous developer whose name I can't remember once said, absolutely no one in the industry knows how long it will take to make any specific game.

Sep 21, 2022, 23:33
Re: Star Citizen Passes a Half-Billion Dollars Sep 21, 2022, 23:33
Sep 21, 2022, 23:33

Sep 21, 2022, 17:55
Re: Star Citizen @ $Half-Billion Sep 21, 2022, 17:55
Sep 21, 2022, 17:55

Re: Star Citizen Passes a $Half-Billion
Sep 21, 2022, 13:01
Re: Star Citizen Passes a $Half-Billion Sep 21, 2022, 13:01
Sep 21, 2022, 13:01

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 21, 2022, 12:23:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 21, 2022, 11:58:
There was an argument to be made that it wasn't a scam back in the early days. However, any benefit of the doubt has long since evaporated.
Who are you and what have you done with theyarecomingforyou?
Blink twice if you’re under duress.

Someone who saw the light...and the train(wreck) that was just behind it.

Sep 21, 2022, 12:23
Re: Star Citizen Passes a $Half-Billion Sep 21, 2022, 12:23
Sep 21, 2022, 12:23

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 21, 2022, 11:58:
There was an argument to be made that it wasn't a scam back in the early days. However, any benefit of the doubt has long since evaporated.
Who are you and what have you done with theyarecomingforyou?
Blink twice if you’re under duress.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Sep 21, 2022, 11:58
El Pit

Re: Star Citizen Passes a $Half-Billion Sep 21, 2022, 11:58
 El Pit

Please support my new kickstarter project: Bridges Salesman!

Strech goals: BUY jpgs of REAL BRIDGES! DEVELOP PLANS FOR virtuREAL BRIDGES! AND THE BEST: SELL jpgs of your virtual BRIDGES TO OTHER PEOPLE FOR REAL MONEY (30% of each deal go to me!)!

JOIN NOW! We here at WHALING STATION SOFTWARE (a PYRAMID SCHEME LTD. studio) are waiting for you support!
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Re: Star Citizen Passes a $Half-Billion Sep 21, 2022, 11:58

There was an argument to be made that it wasn't a scam back in the early days. However, any benefit of the doubt has long since evaporated. CIG has repeatedly claimed that SQ42 was nearly done or just around the corner - then in July 2022, we received this update:

During July, Narrative focused on completing first-pass scripting and recording scratch dialogue for a large section of one of SQ42’s middle chapters. Design refined the gameplay in this section so Narrative frequently played through these updated enemy encounters, puzzles, stealth, and navigation challenges.

The game was meant to be feature complete in 2019 and yet now they're working on first-pass scripting for a large section of the game in 2022. And rather than address any of this, it's buried in a monthly report that barely anyone reads. CIG even scrapped the roadmap, so it's not even pretending the game is due any time soon anymore.

The whole thing is a Ponzi scheme. If funding dried up tomorrow, CIG would never be able to complete the game. It's all based on new investors backing the project and keeping it afloat.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Sep 21, 2022, 11:40
Verno

Re: Star Citizen Passes a Half-Billion Dollars Sep 21, 2022, 11:40
Sep 21, 2022, 11:40
 Verno

Xero wrote on Sep 21, 2022, 10:46:
It's not a scam if they're working on it still. Just put aside the fact that probably 350million of that half a billion went into the developers pockets. EZ money.

My hot take is that it's just a very poorly managed project with scope creep that is totally insane. If you watch some streamers play or just hop in yourself there is definitely a game being made, one that even looks a bit fun at times. Unfortunately it's seemingly managed by a manchild who adds/removes features on a whim without any thought, makes poor choices for tools and engines and just doesn't seem to have a cohesive vision to tie it all together. There's a reason companies don't try to take on projects like this, any of the games individual "modules" would be challenging to create by themselves, let alone trying to do it all at once in a single product. I don't see a feasible path forward to actually accomplishing their goals because they are constantly changing them. Their own roadmaps are a disaster which reflect this.

If I had to say "scam" about anything, it would just be the bait and switch with SQ42 which is frankly infuriating for backers who did not want any of this other crap. That said, I don't doubt Roberts has paid himself and his family well in the process.

For whoever brought it up earlier, the company taking advantage of whales sucks but hey they pay willingly and it's an industry wide problem that many companies partake in. This is just more visible and easier to criticize because of the game's unreleased state.
Playing: Total War: Warhammer 3 Immortal Empires, Elden Ring replay, Into The Breach Advanced Edition
Watching: The Old Man, Arcane, House of the Dragon
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older