Grand Theft Auto 6 Footage Leaks

A post on the GTAForums reveals that over 90 videos are now online allegedly revealing gameplay from Grand Theft Auto 6, the next installment in the open-world crime series. The individual who posted these suggests they possess source code and may leak a test build at some point: "Its [sic] possible i [sic] could leak more data soon, GTA 5 and 6 source code and assets, GTA 6 testing build." A tweet from Jason Schreier supports the authenticity of the videos. Jason has previously commented on the legitimacy of rumors about the open-world crime series. He confirms the new footage is bona fide:
Not that there was much doubt, but I’ve confirmed with Rockstar sources that this weekend’s massive Grand Theft Auto VI leak is indeed real. The footage is early and unfinished, of course. This is one of the biggest leaks in video game history and a nightmare for Rockstar Games.
View : : :
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks
Sep 19, 2022, 13:15
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 19, 2022, 13:15
Sep 19, 2022, 13:15

Jim wrote on Sep 19, 2022, 12:02:
Wesp5 wrote on Sep 19, 2022, 10:28:
You can't be serious! When Valve had their HL2 alpha leaked all it did show was that the game was unfinished and Gabe Newell was lying all the time. And then he even used the leak as an excuse for further delays! After the whole episodes fiasko without any leaks everybody should be aware of this...
and that is a demonstration of the problem. you are using stolen information to justify trashing the company for "reasons". You don't know what build was stolen or what date the snapshot came from. Why do people need to "be aware" of what is happening with game development? That is probably a good reason why companies have stopped doing estimates like they used to. They just lose. And if they release early, there is bitching about "unpaid beta testers".

Objectively, Gabe admits that they weren't going to hit those release dates.
But we can choose to be objective and look at Gabe as a person that was running a company about to release their second product, with huge expectations, whose failure would doom the company, or we can demonize.

What Gabe has explained is that the entire company knew it was, in his words, a fiasco, knew they had no chance at hitting the release date, but didn't want to announce a delay without having a new release date they were certain they could hit, because people would be angry and try to come at him with pitchforks, plus he had obligations with partners at the time more powerful than them, obligations that would be ruined if the slipped date was already announced. They knew it was going to be a disaster and were paralyzed by seeing no way through it. That's not good, but certainly not evil.

Sep 19, 2022, 12:02
Jim
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 19, 2022, 12:02
Sep 19, 2022, 12:02
Jim

Wesp5 wrote on Sep 19, 2022, 10:28:
You can't be serious! When Valve had their HL2 alpha leaked all it did show was that the game was unfinished and Gabe Newell was lying all the time. And then he even used the leak as an excuse for further delays! After the whole episodes fiasko without any leaks everybody should be aware of this...
and that is a demonstration of the problem. you are using stolen information to justify trashing the company for "reasons". You don't know what build was stolen or what date the snapshot came from. Why do people need to "be aware" of what is happening with game development? That is probably a good reason why companies have stopped doing estimates like they used to. They just lose. And if they release early, there is bitching about "unpaid beta testers".

Sep 19, 2022, 11:15
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 19, 2022, 11:15
Sep 19, 2022, 11:15

This kind of thing is devastating to the devs working on the game. They've been at it for years under an incredibly strict NDA, *wanting* to tell people what they're working on, but keeping quiet because it's vital* that studios not talk about what they're making until they know it will actually be made. Now their hard work has been thrust into the spotlight as an unpolished, broken mess.

*vital because 1) announcements of huge AAA titles can have a direct impact on a company's share price, 2) it's normal for features to be scrapped during development, and announcing/showcasing them in advance can lead to disappointment, and 3) many gamers are entitled man-babies who don't know anything about how games are actually made but feel justified in making demands of the people who do

Sep 19, 2022, 11:12
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 19, 2022, 11:12
Sep 19, 2022, 11:12

If he leaks the GTA5 source code, it'll spawn hacks and be a gigantic mess for Rockstar and anyone still playing the game. I mean, more hacks than they already have, I guess.

Because the game isn't completely unplayable on a public server now, due to all the hacks? Honestly, when your game is so badly broken that someone can change the weather or teleport everyone into a kill room, how much worse can it be?

I only play the online game with friends in a closed crew session. The smartest thing the devs did was allow us to play most of the missions in closed crew sessions in that last major update.
- “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.” -George Carlin

Sep 19, 2022, 11:08
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 19, 2022, 11:08
Sep 19, 2022, 11:08

Hardline Mike wrote on Sep 18, 2022, 13:18:
Not really sure what Rockstar loses from this, or how it's a nightmare for them. It's not like anyone is going to avoid buying the game because of the state of an obvious debug version of the game with debug overlays covering 90% of it.

It's a win win for them no matter what they say. It builds hype. A jaded person might even suggest the leak was on purpose as a PR stunt.
- “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.” -George Carlin

Sep 19, 2022, 10:28
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 19, 2022, 10:28
Sep 19, 2022, 10:28

Jim wrote on Sep 19, 2022, 02:18:
When valve had their source code stolen it was pretty devastating. People playing the sample builds, criticizing, the steam source, all that stuff had to be rebuilt. It added a year to the launch.

Sep 19, 2022, 07:08
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 19, 2022, 07:08
Sep 19, 2022, 07:08

With the huge numbers of people working in the industry, especially with the larger triple-A developers I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. Are you guys sure that the source code is leaked as well? I mean if it's just a bunch of videos someone snagged off of some fileshare servers, then there is no real harm done, other than throwing a wrench into the plans of the marketing department which, to be fair, is kind of funny considering the ridiculous amounts of money that companies spend on marketing.

Sep 19, 2022, 02:18
Jim
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 19, 2022, 02:18
Sep 19, 2022, 02:18
Jim

Questions rockstar will have to answer: What did they steal? How can it hurt us? What do we need to change? Depending on the answers it could set back their development a year or two.
When valve had their source code stolen it was pretty devastating. People playing the sample builds, criticizing, the steam source, all that stuff had to be rebuilt. It added a year to the launch.

Sep 19, 2022, 01:16
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 19, 2022, 01:16
Sep 19, 2022, 01:16

Boy yonder is trying so hard to pick a fight with me he doesn't even care if he makes himself look kind of stupid in the process.

Notice that I'm not calling you stupid, especially since I am confident you are not, but damn, those were some really weak and poorly thought out jabs. Maybe you're not having the best day.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 19, 2022, 01:15
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 19, 2022, 01:15
Sep 19, 2022, 01:15

EDIT: post deleted
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 19, 2022, 01:09
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 19, 2022, 01:09
Sep 19, 2022, 01:09

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 19, 2022, 01:00:
. It's a provable fact that the the US justice system protects the interests of corporations far more ardently than it does private citizens.

Yeah with that in mind I think I'm gonna skip on shedding tears for Rockstar and their infinite piles of money and influence.
"It's like you have a neon sign that just says 'raw dog me! I'm a bottom!'" -Queen Maeve

Sep 19, 2022, 01:00
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 19, 2022, 01:00
Sep 19, 2022, 01:00

yonder wrote on Sep 18, 2022, 23:06:
Prez wrote on Sep 18, 2022, 19:35:
From a revenue standpoint I'm doubting this will have any significant effect. Mostly it's more of an embarrassment for Rockstar. I just wonder is it really worth it. I don't think Rockstar is going to pull any punches when this guy is found, and courts are going to favor big companies heavily. He'll probably get a harsher punishment than some people who have killed people.
it's almost like context matters and not every murder is equally the same and so comparing 1 crime to a massive group of crimes is naive and simplistic.

It's almost like you deliberately ignored context to bitch about context. It's a provable fact that the the US justice system protects the interests of corporations far more ardently than it does private citizens.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Sep 19, 2022, 00:54
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 19, 2022, 00:54
Sep 19, 2022, 00:54

This directly affects the livelihood of thousands and indirectly affects the livelihood of tens of thousands. It's a big deal.

The only persons livelihood this effects is the dumbass who leaked it and will be mysteriously found dead in jail. For everyone else, save for R*'s lawyers, this shit will be forgotten long before GTA6 is out.
"It's like you have a neon sign that just says 'raw dog me! I'm a bottom!'" -Queen Maeve

Sep 18, 2022, 23:10
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 18, 2022, 23:10
Sep 18, 2022, 23:10

Dacron wrote on Sep 18, 2022, 18:03:
Jim wrote on Sep 18, 2022, 17:55:
Somebody wrote about leaks a few days ago. With a leak like this the company loses the ability to control how content has revealed. They lose that first impression, and with a game that’s made billions it’s pretty important.

Pretty sure they could release GTA 6 looking like the The GTA Trilogy – The Definitive Edition (a hilariously bad joke.) and still earn several billion.

The difference between several billion and many billions is a lot of money. This directly affects the livelihood of thousands and indirectly affects the livelihood of tens of thousands. It's a big deal.

Sep 18, 2022, 23:06
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 18, 2022, 23:06
Sep 18, 2022, 23:06

From a revenue standpoint I'm doubting this will have any significant effect. Mostly it's more of an embarrassment for Rockstar. I just wonder is it really worth it. I don't think Rockstar is going to pull any punches when this guy is found, and courts are going to favor big companies heavily. He'll probably get a harsher punishment than some people who have killed people.
it's almost like context matters and not every murder is equally the same and so comparing 1 crime to a massive group of crimes is naive and simplistic.

Sep 18, 2022, 23:05
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 18, 2022, 23:05
Sep 18, 2022, 23:05

PropheT wrote on Sep 18, 2022, 20:20:

If he leaks the GTA5 source code, it'll spawn hacks and be a gigantic mess for Rockstar and anyone still playing the game. I mean, more hacks than they already have, I guess.

The guy claims to be the person behind the Uber hack that just happened recently, too. He deserves a cell and a long time away from ever using computers again.

People who don't see this as a big deal or a massively immoral act immediately out themselves as either not having a clue about this stuff (which to be fair might be because of youth, ignorance is a universal starting point) or, y'know, being terribly immoral themselves.

Sep 18, 2022, 20:20
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 18, 2022, 20:20
Sep 18, 2022, 20:20

The guy claims to be the person behind the Uber hack that just happened recently, too. He deserves a cell and a long time away from ever using computers again.

Sep 18, 2022, 20:02
Kxmode

Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 18, 2022, 20:02
Sep 18, 2022, 20:02
 Kxmode

This is one of the biggest leaks in video game history and a nightmare for Rockstar Games.

Dr. Cochrane: I gotta take a leak.
Geordi: Leak? I'm not detecting any leak.
Cochrane: Don't you people from the 24th century ever pee?
Geordi: Leak! I get it. That's pretty funny.
Cochrane: Excuse me.

😄
"I used to fence at Bel-Air Academy." "Oh, really? How much do you think we get for that stereo?"

Sep 18, 2022, 19:35
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 18, 2022, 19:35
Sep 18, 2022, 19:35

- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 18, 2022, 18:03
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 18, 2022, 18:03
Sep 18, 2022, 18:03

Jim wrote on Sep 18, 2022, 17:55:
Somebody wrote about leaks a few days ago. With a leak like this the company loses the ability to control how content has revealed. They lose that first impression, and with a game that’s made billions it’s pretty important.

Pretty sure they could release GTA 6 looking like the The GTA Trilogy – The Definitive Edition (a hilariously bad joke.) and still earn several billion.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older