Phantom Fury Announced

3D Realms announces Phantom Fury, a "road movie" first-person shooter starring Shelly "Bombshell" Harrison in the works at Slipgate Ironworks. This is coming to PC, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Switch next year. Here's word on this sequel to Ion Fury: "Use Shelly’s new bionic arm to unleash powerful abilities, solve environmental puzzles, and explore environments on a road trip to nab an artifact capable of unprecedented destruction. Blast away foot soldiers, mutants, and cyborgs with powerful weapons like armor-piercing shotguns and Ion Fury favorites like the Loverboy revolver." As seen in the Reveal Trailer, like Ion Fury, this uses the vintage Build engine. Update: We're corrected that this uses the Unreal Engine (thanks Kristian). Apologies for the error. For the record, both games are prequels to Bombshell, an action/RPG that was a less novel Unreal-engine project. Bombshell was at one point intended as a sidekick for Duke in Duke Nukem Forever before being cut. Here are the bombshell details:
Years after Shelly’s fight against Jadus Heskel, an old colleague rouses her from a coma. She awakens with a bionic arm capable of incredible feats and a new mission: track down the dangerous Demon Core, an artifact capable of unprecedented destruction before villains get their hands on it.

Set off on an adrenaline-amped adventure across the USA to battle menacing soldiers, vicious cyborgs, vile mutants, and challenging bosses. Blast through enemies in satisfying skirmishes in seedy Albuquerque hotels, explore abandoned facilities in Los Alamos, defend the streets of Chicago, and delve into more sinister locations on her journey.

Phantom Fury’s world features an incredible amount of interactivity. Pilot helicopters, solve environmental puzzles, hack into fully usable computers, play arcade machines and air hockey, and much more — if you see it, you can probably play with it. Each mission comes with surprising ways to interact and creatively circumvent obstacles.

Shelly’s predisposition for powerful weapons requires an awesome arsenal, and Slipgate Ironworks delivers. Wield more than 20 weapons, from her trusty Loverboy revolver and Bowling Bombs to new equipment like armor-piercing shotguns, electrified foam shooting devices, and controllable drones. Upgrade armaments with mods like new fire functions to unleash hell. Unlock new abilities for Shelly’s nifty new arm like punch attacks and electric shields to overcome challenges on the way to the Demon Core.
View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Phantom Fury Announced
Sep 19, 2022, 09:06
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 19, 2022, 09:06
Sep 19, 2022, 09:06

yuastnav wrote on Sep 19, 2022, 04:02:
In my honest opinion the only real problem that can be present is outdated controls.

Controls, UI, quality of life. Those are the issues, and retro games usually fix them.

Going back to, say, XCOM or even Civ1 can be a slog due to the weird control/UI decisions. Half the screen in XCOM is your UI, and there's a button for everything, even when some could have been double-duty buttons. It's playable, but takes a bit to reorient yourself to needing so many on-screen buttons (there are also major inventory control issues that OPEN versions fix, but I always go to the original rather than them for some reason.)

FEAR was another old game I struggled with. When it was new, I remember complaining that it required too many buttons (like Doom Eternal!) But now? I really regretted that it didn't have iron sights. Not sure why, I still think I play plenty of games that don't have them, but in FEAR I kept trying to aim down iron sights. Something about its design and my brain made it painful to not be able to do so. I never even think about that as a feature I much care about, but for that and a few other reasons, my return to FEAR didn't last long at all.

Sep 19, 2022, 04:02
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 19, 2022, 04:02
Sep 19, 2022, 04:02

Man, this looks so cool. Looking forward to this.

Agree with Beamer. Sometimes it's neat to get out old games. I still play games like OpenTTD - and if someone says that doesn't count because it's not Transport Tycoon. I also like to fire up OMF2097. Someone tried to make openomf, a remake in the same vein as openttd by reverse engineering the code but it is really slow going so firing up OMF2097 in dosbox is the way to go.
Playing the old Death Rally is also fun, now and then. You've been able to download it off the 3D Realms (I think?) site for ages - but it looks like it was removed after they put it on steam - ugh.
Also - FreeSpace 2 or Fallout 2 anyone? These are pre 2000 games and still as awesome today as they were back then.

I don't get the hate for old games. If a games good it's good. In my honest opinion the only real problem that can be present is outdated controls.
Now we donce.

Sep 17, 2022, 20:13
Nucas

Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 17, 2022, 20:13
Sep 17, 2022, 20:13
 Nucas

Jim wrote on Sep 17, 2022, 02:05:
This game would have been awesome 20 years ago, now, not so much. It is as if they are just recycling assets they own into new games instead of upgrading. Today you have one man teams making solid FPS games that look vastly better than this. Who is the target audience for this? Boomers? I am not interested.

its really funny for me personally to think back on how important and noticeable the incremental graphics increases were back in the 90s, how fast everything moved and how quickly cutting edge visuals became outdated and "unrealistic". now go back and play half life and clive barker's undying back to back and its like who cares? they exist solely on their own merits now.

its really cool that this kind of fidelity has kind of been embraced not even as an homage or out of fealty to nostalgia, but as a legit mode of expression in its own right - dusk for example accomplished a lot atmospherically with stellar art direction, sound design, and music. the level Old Time Religion stands out in my mind more than any single location from most modern games i've played in the last several years by turning the abstraction of its low-poly look into an asset, along with the phenomenal audio and stark lighting.

i don't know why i even typed all this out, this post almost seemed like a troll to me.

Sep 17, 2022, 13:03
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 17, 2022, 13:03
Sep 17, 2022, 13:03

This game would have been awesome 20 years ago, now, not so much. It is as if they are just recycling assets they own into new games instead of upgrading. Today you have one man teams making solid FPS games that look vastly better than this. Who is the target audience for this? Boomers? I am not interested.
Kids. Kids play retro games and boomer shooters. I mean, I'm sure there are some older people playing, but I'm 47. I started on video games in 1980, and I don't want to go back to the terrible graphics and sounds. We played them because there wasn't anything better. My kids love this crap, and they can keep it. I'll stick with my Sniper Elite 5, Horizon: Forbidden West, and Elden Ring, thanks.

And I say this as a HUGE fan of the original SiN game, which was my absolute favorite shooter when it came out.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Sep 17, 2022, 11:02
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 17, 2022, 11:02
Sep 17, 2022, 11:02

Do some of you not play old games anymore?
I still often play old games, and the graphics are objectively much worse than this. Doom, for example, has awful graphics. I still find it fun from time to time.

I don't care that a game came out 30 years after Doom and has only slightly better graphics so long as the gameplay has evolved. If I can play Doom, or Syndicate, or the original XCOM, or JA2, or Fallout, or the original Zelda, I can play anything.

Sep 17, 2022, 10:24
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 17, 2022, 10:24
Sep 17, 2022, 10:24

Nucas wrote on Sep 17, 2022, 00:43:
fakespyder wrote on Sep 16, 2022, 23:17:
Blade's pistol from SiN makes an appearance at the end. It's too brief to tell for sure but even the level it appears in looks like SiN's opening Bank level. I could be reading too much into it though.

SiN Reloaded has been in development for ages.

nah you're definitely not reading into it, that's blade pistol with the scales of justice logo on the side and everything. oh and plus that's blade saying "you think that armor makes you look cool or something?"

last i heard on the sin reloaded project was nightdive posting a tweet asking for someone with experience with some oblique mapping program or something, since they were basically trying to emulate the old game inside their Kex engine? i could be mangling this, it was like 2 or more years ago. i really don't think its coming any time soon, sadly.

The assault rifle with the ammo counter also looked pretty familiar.

Sep 17, 2022, 09:36
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 17, 2022, 09:36
Sep 17, 2022, 09:36

No idea what you're on about... this looks awesome...

Sep 17, 2022, 08:12
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 17, 2022, 08:12
Sep 17, 2022, 08:12

"As seen in the Reveal Trailer, like Ion fury, this uses the vintage Build engine."

Actually 3D Realms confirmed on their Discord that it is using UE4.

Sep 17, 2022, 02:05
Jim
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 17, 2022, 02:05
Sep 17, 2022, 02:05
Jim

Sep 17, 2022, 00:56
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 17, 2022, 00:56
Sep 17, 2022, 00:56

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 16, 2022, 23:32:
RogueSix wrote on Sep 16, 2022, 21:17:
Yes, shocking, because the developer is apparently too stupid or too lazy to mention that it is a retro shooter. It's not even coming out on last gen consoles but is a fully next gen title. How is anyone supposed to know that this is intentionally retro from their marketing?

I mean it's a sequel to one of the games that kicked off the retro/boomer shooter wave and was announced at Realms Deep, a retro/boomer shooter virtual convention. If it's surprising that this is an intentional homage to what is now retro shooter design then it's unlikely you're paying enough attention to the indie shooter space to even be part of the audience.

Well, I only just turned 50 so compared to actual boomers I guess I’m too young for this shit and in fact better off ignoring this retro stuff for the real old people .

Sep 17, 2022, 00:49
Nucas

Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 17, 2022, 00:49
Sep 17, 2022, 00:49
 Nucas

dude, this is hype as fuck. big DNF 2001 energy. the sin tie-in is weird but i'll take it, that's one of my favorite games of the 90s.

hopefully this is ACTUALLY "coming 2023", not just limping into early access to fester for 2 or 3 years as is tradition for retro shooters.

Sep 17, 2022, 00:43
Nucas

Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 17, 2022, 00:43
Sep 17, 2022, 00:43
 Nucas

fakespyder wrote on Sep 16, 2022, 23:17:
Blade's pistol from SiN makes an appearance at the end. It's too brief to tell for sure but even the level it appears in looks like SiN's opening Bank level. I could be reading too much into it though.

nah you're definitely not reading into it, that's blade pistol with the scales of justice logo on the side and everything. oh and plus that's blade saying "you think that armor makes you look cool or something?"

last i heard on the sin reloaded project was nightdive posting a tweet asking for someone with experience with some oblique mapping program or something, since they were basically trying to emulate the old game inside their Kex engine? i could be mangling this, it was like 2 or more years ago. i really don't think its coming any time soon, sadly.

Sep 16, 2022, 23:32
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 16, 2022, 23:32
Sep 16, 2022, 23:32

RogueSix wrote on Sep 16, 2022, 21:17:
Yes, shocking, because the developer is apparently too stupid or too lazy to mention that it is a retro shooter. It's not even coming out on last gen consoles but is a fully next gen title. How is anyone supposed to know that this is intentionally retro from their marketing?

I mean it's a sequel to one of the games that kicked off the retro/boomer shooter wave and was announced at Realms Deep, a retro/boomer shooter virtual convention. If it's surprising that this is an intentional homage to what is now retro shooter design then it's unlikely you're paying enough attention to the indie shooter space to even be part of the audience.

Sep 16, 2022, 23:17
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 16, 2022, 23:17
Sep 16, 2022, 23:17

Sep 16, 2022, 22:11
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 16, 2022, 22:11
Sep 16, 2022, 22:11

That looks really neat. I imagine GmanLives will be previewing this. A helluva lot boomer shooters these days.

Sep 16, 2022, 21:21
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 16, 2022, 21:21
Sep 16, 2022, 21:21

Looks good... but where the hell is the Ion Fury expansion?! It feels like it's been forever.

Sep 16, 2022, 21:17
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 16, 2022, 21:17
Sep 16, 2022, 21:17

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 16, 2022, 20:53:
RogueSix wrote on Sep 16, 2022, 20:46:
Oh look, it's 2004 again!

Seriously, this looks like it would have made a decent HL2 clone back in 2004/2005 but who the hell do they think they can impress with this in 2023?

Shocking that a retro shooter would evoke the shooter design of two decades ago. Just as “galling” as something like Cyber Shadow having 8-bit pixel art. /s

Sep 16, 2022, 20:53
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 16, 2022, 20:53
Sep 16, 2022, 20:53

RogueSix wrote on Sep 16, 2022, 20:46:

Seriously, this looks like it would have made a decent HL2 clone back in 2004/2005 but who the hell do they think they can impress with this in 2023?

Shocking that a retro shooter would evoke the shooter design of two decades ago. Just as “galling” as something like Cyber Shadow having 8-bit pixel art. /s

Sep 16, 2022, 20:46
Re: Phantom Fury Announced Sep 16, 2022, 20:46
Sep 16, 2022, 20:46

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older