Re: Evening Tech Bits
Sep 21, 2022, 13:59
Verno

Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 21, 2022, 13:59
Sep 21, 2022, 13:59
 Verno

FloodAnxiety wrote on Sep 17, 2022, 16:20:
This is the strangest move by EVGA...

This is like owning a general store. The store stocked the Lucky Charms brand for years, but it was too popular, and they couldn't keep their shelves stocked. Fed up that they couldn't get the supply they needed, rather than sell out of stock all of time, they decided to just not stock them at all. They believe it is better to not sell any Lucky Charms if selling them means results in them selling out and some customers getting upset that they are out of stock.

Picture yourself almost as a franchisee owner. The margins aren't good and you are being ground down constantly by your upstream partner. This is actually the life of many franchisees. In this case EVGA doesn't need to continue so they aren't. Revenue is not profit and the owners are fed up and obviously do not need EVGA to survive or not. It sucks for the employees caught in the middle obviously.
Playing: Total War: Warhammer 3 Immortal Empires, Elden Ring replay, Into The Breach Advanced Edition
Watching: The Old Man, Arcane, House of the Dragon

Sep 17, 2022, 20:15
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2022, 20:15
Sep 17, 2022, 20:15

Didn't NVidia learn anything from 3dfx? If you abandon your AIBs they will go to your competitor. And market share will evaporate over night. EVGA abandoning NVidia and video cards is a loud "were not going to take it anymore" and an eye opener for other AIBs.

I remember the days when AIBs were allowed to be creative, NVidia (and AMD) restrictions on AIBs are stifling their ability to differentiate themselves. If AMD were smart (their not). they would take this opportunity to free their AIBs from design restrictions.

Sep 17, 2022, 18:29
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2022, 18:29
Sep 17, 2022, 18:29

Beamer wrote on Sep 17, 2022, 15:33:
Prez wrote on Sep 17, 2022, 13:16:
I'm not argumentative, you %#%@$@$! You're argumentative!!

Oh, I'm going to make a 4 hour YouTube response to this to demonstrate how not angry I am!

Well, I'll watch it - twice- but I will deny that I did. So there.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 17, 2022, 16:20
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2022, 16:20
Sep 17, 2022, 16:20

This is the strangest move by EVGA...

This is like owning a general store. The store stocked the Lucky Charms brand for years, but it was too popular, and they couldn't keep their shelves stocked. Fed up that they couldn't get the supply they needed, rather than sell out of stock all of time, they decided to just not stock them at all. They believe it is better to not sell any Lucky Charms if selling them means results in them selling out and some customers getting upset that they are out of stock.

Seriously... you can't make this stuff up:

EVGA thinks the GPU market that routinely sells out of stock is too much for them to handle. So they are taking a "principled" stance and noping out of the market.

"But their profit margins are shrinking!" I hear someone say in the back. The profit margins on a product that routinely sells out is shrinking... gee, what does supply and demand say when the demand is so high that your good gets sold out? Hint, it doesn't say "give up".

Here is my interpretation of EVGA. Some higher up got butt hurt after having a business discussion with NVIDIA and is now ruining EVGA over some personal issue. What else could explain such a bizarre move? Other theories?

Sep 17, 2022, 15:33
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2022, 15:33
Sep 17, 2022, 15:33

Prez wrote on Sep 17, 2022, 13:16:

Oh, I'm going to make a 4 hour YouTube response to this to demonstrate how not angry I am!

Sep 17, 2022, 13:16
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2022, 13:16
Sep 17, 2022, 13:16

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 17, 2022, 11:06
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2022, 11:06
Sep 17, 2022, 11:06

Prez wrote on Sep 17, 2022, 04:03:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 16, 2022, 23:31:
Maybe it's just because I'm absolutely fucking exhausted but this thread is fucking stupid.

kxmode's experience is subjective but it is his experience nevertheless. A billion reviews not done with his ears in his environment isn't going to change what his experience is. Banging on and on in a vain attempt to be "right" is about as fruitful as tilting at windmills.

Some dude says "sky's green" but you look out your window and it's purple, who fucking cares? Does it fundamentally alter the entire foundation of your world that someone else has a different perception of the color of the sky?

I get tired of typing this kind of thing in every thread but I'll still commend it when someone else does.

Maybe it's just because I too am tired and broken down, but it annoys me when every single topic in every single thread turns into an argument.

He says argumentatively! Ha!

Sep 17, 2022, 10:12
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2022, 10:12
Sep 17, 2022, 10:12

I think that EVGA may have hurt itself by sticking with a single GPU manufacturer for so long. Never owned an EVGA GPU--been buying ATi/AMD since 2002, IIRC. Bought one nVidia GPU in 2001 @ BB, but never went back. Before that, my favorites were all 3dfx V2-V5.5.k. I owned TNT/2's--but those were only good for 2d paired with dual V2's. Tried 3 Intel i7xxx (Real3d) cards--returned them all to the store as they were not competitive with nVidia or 3dfx. I tried early ATi 3d GPUs (prior to R300), STB cards, the Matrox Mystique, and returned them all for the same reason. Prior to going 3d, my favorite GPU was the Matrox Millennium, strictly a 2d card. After I left the Amiga after 8 years, in the early 90's, it's interesting to remember that all the games sold, including Amiga games, were strictly 2d, as 3dfx engineers were still working at SG until forming 3dfx in the latter 90's.
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Sep 17, 2022, 09:53
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2022, 09:53
Sep 17, 2022, 09:53

Watch Gamer's Nexus take on this - they got an early exclusive interview with EVGA's CEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV9QES-FUAM

Some bullet points:

This will cost NVidia NOTHING. There is a limited allocation of GPU chips, and EVGA's allocation will go to other companies who will gladly take them.

While video cards are 80% of EVGA's sales (not revenue - that headline is wrong) they make most of their profit off PSUs, followed by coolers and other things. Their profits on GPUs is very thin at the level of quality they want to build them, because NVidia controls the costs of the GPU and sets the MSRP.

It's a shame, because I think EVGA has the best cards out there right now as far as fit and finish, quality control, and design of the cooler. Yes, they've had customer support issues in the past, and I know some people have never forgiven them.

My current two GPUs are EVGA, and so were my 760s.

- “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.” -George Carlin

Sep 17, 2022, 09:15
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2022, 09:15
Sep 17, 2022, 09:15

One single data point does not a statistic make.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Sep 17, 2022, 08:57
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2022, 08:57
Sep 17, 2022, 08:57

I think my last 3 GPUs were all EVGA... OTOH, I haven't bought a new one in probably 7 years. So I don't know what their recent cards have been like.

Sep 17, 2022, 04:03
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2022, 04:03
Sep 17, 2022, 04:03

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 16, 2022, 23:31:
Maybe it's just because I'm absolutely fucking exhausted but this thread is fucking stupid.

kxmode's experience is subjective but it is his experience nevertheless. A billion reviews not done with his ears in his environment isn't going to change what his experience is. Banging on and on in a vain attempt to be "right" is about as fruitful as tilting at windmills.

Some dude says "sky's green" but you look out your window and it's purple, who fucking cares? Does it fundamentally alter the entire foundation of your world that someone else has a different perception of the color of the sky?

I get tired of typing this kind of thing in every thread but I'll still commend it when someone else does.

Maybe it's just because I too am tired and broken down, but it annoys me when every single topic in every single thread turns into an argument.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 16, 2022, 23:31
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 16, 2022, 23:31
Sep 16, 2022, 23:31

"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Sep 16, 2022, 23:23
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 16, 2022, 23:23
Sep 16, 2022, 23:23

Kxmode wrote on Sep 16, 2022, 22:04:
I like how you're telling me my experience of hearing a loud card that ran hot is pure imagination. Is there anything else I should know about my experience with NVIDIA's products?

Don't know, I don't live in fantasyland where a dual/triple axial cooler can have worse temps and noise than a blower when every single review ever made in the last 10 years without exceptions says the exact opposite. LOL

You made an extraordinary claim, back it up with extraordinary evidence or be laughed out of the room.

Your choice mate.

Note: I won't be waiting for that evidence, because you and I and everyone else here knows for an irrefutable fact it doesn't exist.

So have a nice day and cya in another thread! *shrugs*

Sep 16, 2022, 22:04
Kxmode

Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 16, 2022, 22:04
Sep 16, 2022, 22:04
 Kxmode

Simon Says wrote on Sep 16, 2022, 20:09:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 16, 2022, 19:56:
Between NVIDIA or EVGA... I go NVIDIA. I owned an EVGA card once and hated it because they ran hot, and the noise was unbearable. All of the NVIDIAs I've held (e.g., 960, 970, 1080 Ti, and 2080 Ti) have been relatively quiet and cool.

That's very strange because practically every single review of GPUs has better thermals and noise with AIBs, including even most of EVGA's lowest tiers.

And Nvidia had BLOWER cards before the 2000 series.
Don't tell me they were "cool and quiet".
I ain't buying that, not for one second.
I like how you're telling me my experience of hearing a loud card that ran hot is pure imagination. Is there anything else I should know about my experience with NVIDIA's products?
"I used to fence at Bel-Air Academy." "Oh, really? How much do you think we get for that stereo?"

Sep 16, 2022, 21:50
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 16, 2022, 21:50
Sep 16, 2022, 21:50

RogueSix wrote on Sep 16, 2022, 21:08:
And, no, the EVGA reviews were not unanimously good.

That's a nice strawman you got there, reminder of what was actually said:

"That's very strange because practically every single review of GPUs has better thermals and noise with AIBs, including even most of EVGA's lowest tiers."

Implied is that it's VS Nvidia's FE models, NOT other AIBs ( there's no way you can construe that statement this way other than with a pure strawman ) and I could link you a few hundred reviews showing it's 100% true.

It's also true they didn't have the best AIB GPUs out there, but credit where credit is due, their service is unparalleled in NA.

TL&DR:

EVGA > FE as far as thermals and noise is concerned
EVGA = #1 service by far in NA
EVGA were rarely if ever #1 VS other AIBs when noise and thermals are concerned

Sep 16, 2022, 21:08
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 16, 2022, 21:08
Sep 16, 2022, 21:08

EVGA has produced nothing but garbage quality the last few generations. There has been one negative headline after another from cards going up in flames because of crappy cooling to cards exploding because they could not handle the unlimited fps of New World when it was in beta and when it had no frame limiter or VSync yet.

And, no, the EVGA reviews were not unanimously good. EVGA was never anywhere near the top when it came to thermals or noise. Gainward and Palit were the undisputed kings during the GTX 1000 days (except for the 1080Ti). And the best RTX 2000 and 3000 models came from a broad variety of AIBs. They were all very similar and EVGA only managed to stand out with the above mentioned issues.

I'm very happy with my EVGA PSU (Superflower OEM) but I have never seen a reason to buy an EVGA graphics card. They never excelled at anything and were always relatively expensive here in Europe.
The cards were certainly great for the DIY watercooling crowd because of the generous warranty that allowed you to take off the original heatsink without voiding warranty but I do not belong in that camp so that advantage was lost on me.

Anyway, I won't miss them in the gfx card sector but I hope they keep trucking with OEM PSUs and other peripherals.

Sep 16, 2022, 20:09
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 16, 2022, 20:09
Sep 16, 2022, 20:09

Kxmode wrote on Sep 16, 2022, 19:56:
Between NVIDIA or EVGA... I go NVIDIA. I owned an EVGA card once and hated it because they ran hot, and the noise was unbearable. All of the NVIDIAs I've held (e.g., 960, 970, 1080 Ti, and 2080 Ti) have been relatively quiet and cool.

That's very strange because practically every single review of GPUs has better thermals and noise with AIBs, including even most of EVGA's lowest tiers.

And Nvidia had BLOWER cards before the 2000 series.
Don't tell me they were "cool and quiet".
I ain't buying that, not for one second.

As for the actual subject, it's a giant loss for NA region, their service there was second to none. You had trouble with an EVGA card in NA? You could sleep easy knowing you would have top notch service, not a single care in the world. I can't say the same for any other AIB or even Nvidia/AMD themselves.

Sep 16, 2022, 19:56
Kxmode

Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 16, 2022, 19:56
Sep 16, 2022, 19:56
 Kxmode

"I used to fence at Bel-Air Academy." "Oh, really? How much do you think we get for that stereo?"

Sep 16, 2022, 19:31
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 16, 2022, 19:31
Sep 16, 2022, 19:31

Buh by.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older