Out of the Blue

We didn't watch the Emmy Awards here in the BlueTower, but, unlike the Oscars, we at least have seen many of the nominated shows. But in this age of impressive television there's always something new to learn. There were a couple of nominees we haven't seen yet. Most conspicuous seem to be Yellowjackets, What We Do in the Shadows, and Abbott Elementary. I'm disappointed Better Call Saul did not receive more recognition, but the whole competitive art thing is so weird it's hard to take it that seriously.

Obituary: Jean-Luc Godard, Enfant Terrible of Modern French Cinema, Dies at 91.
Obituary: Ramsey Lewis, the pop chart's favorite jazz pianist, dies at 87. Thanks Neutronbeam.

Emmy Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Play

Story

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: Award-worthy
Sep 14, 2022, 19:17
Re: OotB: Award-worthy Sep 14, 2022, 19:17
Sep 14, 2022, 19:17

Beamer wrote on Sep 13, 2022, 15:28:
I'm with RedEye - didn't understand the love for Yellow jackets. It's a great first episode, but doesn't capitalize upon it at all. Every reveal was mundane. Every episode more dull than the one prior.

However, Hacks, Barry, Severance, Atlanta, Squid Game and Succession are all great. Wwdits has lost me a bit, but was two fantastic seasons at least. Maisal wasn't as good as earlier but was still good, Only Murders wasn't as good as season 1 but was still great.
Two episodes of Atlanta drop tomorrow. Color me happy.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4288182/episodes?season=4
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Sep 14, 2022, 17:24
Re: OotB: Award-worthy Sep 14, 2022, 17:24
Sep 14, 2022, 17:24

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 14, 2022, 17:07:
The Flying Penguin wrote on Sep 14, 2022, 15:55:
I know that belly is mostly the alcohol, ..
If I could drink one or two, I would.
But for me one is too many and 13 is not enough.

I bet you there’s not a soul around that would say you have a belly.
You sound fine.

(OK, now for my inner monologue. Please ignore it.)
Try not having any alcoholic beverages for a week or 10 days to see how you feel. That stuff is poison, even in tiny amounts.

Agreed. Have stopped for a week, and yes I do feel better. I am/was a heavy drinker (4 a night minimum). Never got drunk, never get nasty, wife never complains about it (only shit I get is from my 99 year old Dad who has never drunk a drop in his life). Unbreakable rule has always been I don't drink before 3pm, and I never have more than one drink outside the house. I have jokingly (well maybe not jokingly) called my self a functioning alcoholic.

Not quite ready to give it up entirely at this stage in my life, but reducing it to 3 nights a week feels better (those are my game nights online with the boyz). Minor cravings in between, but I just drink a lot more coffee, tea and Pelegrino now.
- “So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." - Abraham Erskine, 'Captain America: The First Avenger'

Sep 14, 2022, 17:07
Re: OotB: Award-worthy Sep 14, 2022, 17:07
Sep 14, 2022, 17:07

The Flying Penguin wrote on Sep 14, 2022, 15:55:
I know that belly is mostly the alcohol, ..
If I could drink one or two, I would.
But for me one is too many and 13 is not enough.

I bet you there’s not a soul around that would say you have a belly.
You sound fine.

(OK, now for my inner monologue. Please ignore it.)
Try not having any alcoholic beverages for a week or 10 days to see how you feel. That stuff is poison, even in tiny amounts.
Burrito of Peace

Sep 14, 2022, 15:55
Re: OotB: Award-worthy Sep 14, 2022, 15:55
Sep 14, 2022, 15:55

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 14, 2022, 15:46:
The Flying Penguin wrote on Sep 14, 2022, 12:42:
I've been doing all that for years, but the big change in the last few months is to cut down alcohol.
Yep. Rule #1 for weight loss -- Drink no calories. 6'4" and 240, I suspect most people wouldn't even consider you overweight or only slightly so. Although it would put you just under obese in the glorious BMI. (I consider BMI at best a vague guideline)

Ya. I go more for how my body feels. I'm 62, in good health overall, only chronic issue is some sciatica due to a collapsed vertebrae, which I have built up my core strength so much over the past 10 years, hardly bothers me until I do something stupid like I did day before yesterday, and dig a 140 foot trench

Losing the 10 pounds is quite noticeable. My knees feel better about it, I have more energy, walking in this August sweltering heat doesn't feel as bad as last year.

I do have a bit of a belly so I've adopted the middle age tactic of not tucking in shirts unless I'm in a suit, although, to be honest, compared to my peers, it's not THAT much of a belly. I know that belly is mostly the alcohol, because everything else I'm doing right, and that belly has come down a bit in the past 3 months.I can wear tight shirts again and not feel self conscious. Having spent most of my life looking like a bean pole, the belly is more noticeable to me than others, probably.

- “So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." - Abraham Erskine, 'Captain America: The First Avenger'

Sep 14, 2022, 15:46
Re: OotB: Award-worthy Sep 14, 2022, 15:46
Sep 14, 2022, 15:46

The Flying Penguin wrote on Sep 14, 2022, 12:42:
I've been doing all that for years, but the big change in the last few months is to cut down alcohol.
Yep. Rule #1 for weight loss -- Drink no calories. 6'4" and 240, I suspect most people wouldn't even consider you overweight or only slightly so. Although it would put you just under obese in the glorious BMI. (I consider BMI at best a vague guideline)
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 14, 2022, 12:42
Re: OotB: Award-worthy Sep 14, 2022, 12:42
Sep 14, 2022, 12:42

That Lunar Lander hack is genius!

I lost 10 pounds in the last 3 months and kept it off so far, but my method may not work for you. Mileage may vary.

I have never been a breakfast eater, and I finally stopped it except for special occasions. I don't eat until I feel hungry and that's usually around 2pm nowadays. Then I eat a light lunch, usually salad or a sandwich. If I get occupied and 4pm rolls around then I skip lunch and just have dinner.

Dinner is sometimes soup, sometimes salad again (but a big one with some meat), occasionally a good gourmet meal. I love my Sushi and the occasional steak.

I avoid processed foods entirely. When I snack , I eat raw (not roasted, not salted) nuts, a kind bar, or granola bar, or some carrots and Greek yogurt dip.

I've been doing all that for years, but the big change in the last few months is to cut down alcohol. I limit it now to 3 nights a week, and try to stay under 3 drinks. I do like me a good craft beer, but I try to limit them now and alternate with Guiness Draught which is only 120 cals and I like the taste. Occasional whiskey, sometimes white wine if dining out.

I avoid processed food. That is your worst enemy.

I'm 6ft 4inch, used to weight 240, but been keeping it at 230 for last 3 months,and feel much better about it. I'm tall so the weight is not obvious, but 240 was weighing on me.

Exercise of course. Easier now that I have a home gym setup in the garage. Alternate days between Cardio on the stationary bike, and free weights. I try to get in 3 or 4 workouts a week. I get bored easy so I either watch TV or listen to an audio book while I work out.

Mountain bike when I can, but right now it's too hot and humid for that.

Re: Does a Big Breakfast Actually Help Weight Loss?
Sep 14, 2022, 09:47
Verno

Re: Does a Big Breakfast Actually Help Weight Loss? Sep 14, 2022, 09:47
Sep 14, 2022, 09:47
 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Sep 13, 2022, 17:56:
Food... real food... which includes sugar and fat and the whole spectrum of nutrients.
Clearly aspartame is unnatural, but it's tested both in thousands of studies and just by the time it's been on the market.
People get real crazy about this stuff.

If you intake an appropriate amount of calories and variety of foods... you'll be fine.
No need to obsess over what an individual egg does, or two pieces of bacon... etc. etc.

Somebody on my social media has started a whole crusade (company? dunno if they make money from it) around cutting out oils from their foods.
One of their big targets is sesame oil... yes, that same sesame oil that has been consumed by humans for 5000 years now.
Apparently it causes a whole list of issues! Pretty much all your problems in life are from eating sesame oil.

Well said. The only thing every fad diet has in common is a caloric deficit. That's because the methodology is largely unimportant and the deficit is what matters, the diet just provides structure for people who are unaccustomed to it. The whole "eat clean!" thing bothers me a bit - wars on sweeteners, MSG and "processed foods" are misguided and frankly distracting for people who need to lose weight. There is no definitive answer to what eating clean entails and many "natural" foods can have negative effects on the body. A body builder friend is obsessed with this nonsense yet doesn't think twice about downing heavily processed whey protein shakes every day or about how he's vilified the humble plain potato that has fed humanity for thousands of years. The best diet is the one that works for you and lets you lead a healthy life style. Our bodies are wonderfully adaptable machines, good and bad food thinking is outdated.
Playing: Total War: Warhammer 3 Immortal Empires, Elden Ring replay, Into The Breach Advanced Edition
Watching: The Old Man, Arcane, House of the Dragon

Sep 13, 2022, 19:19
PHJF

Re: Does a Big Breakfast Actually Help Weight Loss? Sep 13, 2022, 19:19
Sep 13, 2022, 19:19
 PHJF

Somebody on my social media has started a whole crusade (company? dunno if they make money from it) around cutting out oils from their foods.
One of their big targets is sesame oil... yes, that same sesame oil that has been consumed by humans for 5000 years now.
Apparently it causes a whole list of issues! Pretty much all your problems in life are from eating sesame oil.

I was curious what was in baby formula following the whole hooplah shortage of it and and one of the top ingredients in the one I looked at was fucking corn syrup. Bitch, whose motherfucking breasts pump out corn syrup??? No wonder this country is so fucked.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Re: Sydney cockatoos are still opening kerb-side bins, despite our best efforts to stop them.
Sep 13, 2022, 18:28
Kxmode

Re: Sydney cockatoos are still opening kerb-side bins, despite our best efforts to stop them. Sep 13, 2022, 18:28
Sep 13, 2022, 18:28
 Kxmode

> Reads headline
"Well, I would expect Australian cockroaches to be able to do anything."
> clicks link
> sees bird
> am disappointed 🙂
"I used to fence at Bel-Air Academy." "Oh, really? How much do you think we could get for that stereo?"

Sep 13, 2022, 17:56
Re: Does a Big Breakfast Actually Help Weight Loss? Sep 13, 2022, 17:56
Sep 13, 2022, 17:56

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 13, 2022, 17:50:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 13, 2022, 17:21:
I didn't ask for a list...

You didn't and I apologize. That came off dick-ish on a second reading and I did not intend it to.

So, if you consume aspartame, and have a normal diet, it will not effect weight gain.

Aspartame, as RedEye's NYT link shows, does have some metabolic effects that are disconcerting. Both my doc and the nutritionist I visited to get this party started were both adamant about cutting out aspartame, among other artificial chemicals frequently found in food, to help me burn fat more efficiently. Also, what do you consider a "normal" diet? Because I can almost guarantee that it is not what is the average for the US.

Food... real food... which includes sugar and fat and the whole spectrum of nutrients.
Clearly aspartame is unnatural, but it's tested both in thousands of studies and just by the time it's been on the market.
People get real crazy about this stuff.

If you intake an appropriate amount of calories and variety of foods... you'll be fine.
No need to obsess over what an individual egg does, or two pieces of bacon... etc. etc.

Sep 13, 2022, 17:50
Re: Does a Big Breakfast Actually Help Weight Loss? Sep 13, 2022, 17:50
Sep 13, 2022, 17:50

I didn't ask for a list...

You didn't and I apologize. That came off dick-ish on a second reading and I did not intend it to.

So, if you consume aspartame, and have a normal diet, it will not effect weight gain.

Aspartame, as RedEye's NYT link shows, does have some metabolic effects that are disconcerting. Both my doc and the nutritionist I visited to get this party started were both adamant about cutting out aspartame, among other artificial chemicals frequently found in food, to help me burn fat more efficiently. Also, what do you consider a "normal" diet? Because I can almost guarantee that it is not what is the average for the US.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Sep 13, 2022, 17:34
Re: OotB: Award-worthy Sep 13, 2022, 17:34
Sep 13, 2022, 17:34

PHJF wrote on Sep 13, 2022, 17:28:
The secret to weight loss is to... not eat/order out. 99% of the menu at any given American restaurant is horrible for you. I happen to like cooking and as a result do it a lot, but most people I encounter are (inexplicably) terrified by grocery shopping and/or cooking.

I lost my weight by no longer shopping actually.
No snacks at home, no snacking.

I eat two meals a day, typically one large one out of home at about ~1,000 calories, and then I have a meal service at home that is usually about ~500 calories. So ~1,500 a day.

Sep 13, 2022, 17:28
PHJF

Re: OotB: Award-worthy Sep 13, 2022, 17:28
Sep 13, 2022, 17:28
 PHJF

The secret to weight loss is to... not eat/order out. 99% of the menu at any given American restaurant is horrible for you. I happen to like cooking and as a result do it a lot, but most people I encounter are (inexplicably) terrified by grocery shopping and/or cooking.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Sep 13, 2022, 17:21
Re: Does a Big Breakfast Actually Help Weight Loss? Sep 13, 2022, 17:21
Sep 13, 2022, 17:21

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 13, 2022, 17:09:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 13, 2022, 17:03:
Aspartame is literally the only thing you identify by name out of "junk calories and chemicals"...
I'll bite, how does limiting aspartame help weight loss?

It was an example in reference to the "chemicals" portion of that. However, here is an article explaining it.

I wasn't aware that an exhaustive list was required.

I didn't ask for a list, I just thought it funny that the one thing you mentioned by name was that...

"However, the aspartame did not seem to make a difference for the mice on the normal diet: There was no difference in weight gain between the group given aspartame water and the group given regular water."

I've been waiting some 25 years now for the bad effects to of aspartame to kick in.
It used to be that it was poison, cancerous, that I would get migraines.
Now I'm supposed to get fatter! But that's not happening either.

Sep 13, 2022, 17:10
Re: OotB: Award-worthy Sep 13, 2022, 17:10
Sep 13, 2022, 17:10

Any chemical we put in our body has metabolic consequences, many that we are just now finding out about.
Sugar substitutes may help stave off weight gain, but they have metabolic effects that some experts find concerning

My secret to maintaining a morbidly obese weight is to eat only donut holes because everyone knows the calories are scared into the ring when they cut the hole out.
Burrito of Peace

Sep 13, 2022, 17:09
Re: Does a Big Breakfast Actually Help Weight Loss? Sep 13, 2022, 17:09
Sep 13, 2022, 17:09

Sepharo wrote on Sep 13, 2022, 17:03:
Aspartame is literally the only thing you identify by name out of "junk calories and chemicals"...

It was an example in reference to the "chemicals" portion of that. However, here is an article explaining it.

I wasn't aware that an exhaustive list was required.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Sep 13, 2022, 17:03
Re: Does a Big Breakfast Actually Help Weight Loss? Sep 13, 2022, 17:03
Sep 13, 2022, 17:03

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 13, 2022, 15:26:
No, not in the slightest.

Limiting calories, especially junk calories and chemicals like aspartame, however does. I eat once a day and that's whenever I happen to get hungry. It's rarely the same time each day. I soak up about 1800 calories which is 600 short of what my at rest metabolic rest rate really wants. Add in light exercise (walking the dog on the trails of my local state park) and daily motion and I am running a "severe" deficit. However, it's also helped me ditch quite a bit of weight in ten months. Never feel starved and my A1C has dropped 3.2 points in the same ten months.

Weight loss is easy if you can break the sugar and carb addiction that the American diet has spoon fed to us since birth and you understand that it is a gradual process that will takes months before you see visible results. You really don't have to do much for your body to start actively burning the excess fat to power itself. You'll hit a plateau and then you need to up your light exercise to moderate exercise (which may mean just a longer walk or a walk over variegated terrain with some uphill sections) but that will kick your body back in to fat burning mode. You'll lose on average anywhere from .5 to 1 pound a day but at least 50% of that will be natural water weight loss which you'll naturally replenish (or should be) the following day.

That's it. That's weight loss. No medicines, surgeries, or extreme methods required. Just be mindful of what you take in and move. Your body is the product of millions of years of evolution to find the most efficient biological machine to schlep your brain around.

Sep 13, 2022, 15:28
Re: OotB: Award-worthy Sep 13, 2022, 15:28
Sep 13, 2022, 15:28

I'm with RedEye - didn't understand the love for Yellow jackets. It's a great first episode, but doesn't capitalize upon it at all. Every reveal was mundane. Every episode more dull than the one prior.

However, Hacks, Barry, Severance, Atlanta, Squid Game and Succession are all great. Wwdits has lost me a bit, but was two fantastic seasons at least. Maisal wasn't as good as earlier but was still good, Only Murders wasn't as good as season 1 but was still great.

Does a Big Breakfast Actually Help Weight Loss?
Sep 13, 2022, 15:26
Does a Big Breakfast Actually Help Weight Loss? Sep 13, 2022, 15:26
Sep 13, 2022, 15:26

No, not in the slightest.

Limiting calories, especially junk calories and chemicals like aspartame, however does. I eat once a day and that's whenever I happen to get hungry. It's rarely the same time each day. I soak up about 1800 calories which is 600 short of what my at rest metabolic rest rate really wants. Add in light exercise (walking the dog on the trails of my local state park) and daily motion and I am running a "severe" deficit. However, it's also helped me ditch quite a bit of weight in ten months. Never feel starved and my A1C has dropped 3.2 points in the same ten months.

Weight loss is easy if you can break the sugar and carb addiction that the American diet has spoon fed to us since birth and you understand that it is a gradual process that will takes months before you see visible results. You really don't have to do much for your body to start actively burning the excess fat to power itself. You'll hit a plateau and then you need to up your light exercise to moderate exercise (which may mean just a longer walk or a walk over variegated terrain with some uphill sections) but that will kick your body back in to fat burning mode. You'll lose on average anywhere from .5 to 1 pound a day but at least 50% of that will be natural water weight loss which you'll naturally replenish (or should be) the following day.

That's it. That's weight loss. No medicines, surgeries, or extreme methods required. Just be mindful of what you take in and move. Your body is the product of millions of years of evolution to find the most efficient biological machine to schlep your brain around.

Sep 13, 2022, 14:56
mch
Re: OotB: Award-worthy Sep 13, 2022, 14:56
Sep 13, 2022, 14:56
mch

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 13, 2022, 14:24:
If I was you I'd skip Yellowjackets. It came across to me as: spoiler the men and boys could do no wrong and everything was the girl's fault, I'm surprised it was even up for nomination.
mch wrote on Sep 13, 2022, 14:10:
I was pretty annoyed when I saw that BCS didn't win anything, but then I learned that the last season (or half season) of Better Call Saul is actually eligible/qualifies for next year's Emmy's.

I'm hoping that Bob, Rhea and/or the show will get the respect they deserve next year.
it's up against stiff competition. It may be one that never gets an award.

I'm sure it will be, but...already? If I'm not mistaken, the start of the eligibility period for the 2023 Emmy's was the beginning of June.

So, off the top of my head, for drama series... potentially House of the Dragon and possibly Rings of Power? I can't think of anything else yet.
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older