Gone Gold - Gotham Knights

Showing off its bilingual acumen, WB Games Montréal tweets that Gotham Knights is officially gold. Word is the superhero game is on track to arrive in October. Pardon our French:

Toute l'équipe de Gotham Knights est fière de vous annoncer que nous sommes officiellement GOLD!

On se retrouve en Octobre!

The whole Gotham Knights team is proud to announce that we're officially GOLD!
See you in October!
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights
Aug 18, 2022, 16:34
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 18, 2022, 16:34
Aug 18, 2022, 16:34

Darks wrote on Aug 18, 2022, 13:34:
As for those barriers he mentioned, yes, those are there for a specific reason of keeping those who play Coop together so someone like you Roque that wants to run off and do your own thing cant. If all your going to do is run off playing Solo in a Coop group, then way are you even playing Coop to begin with?

Huh? I don't want to play coop. I'm in the single player camp, remember? Yes, I do want to "run off and do my own thing" in single player. And guess what... I fucking CAN'T in games designed with coop in mind because the devs put those choke point barriers for coop into the game (another very obvious example here would be the annoying one million elevators and gates in Marvel's Avengers).

That's why I'm wary of games with coop support. As I said before, it always requires a myriad of shitty design decision, it requires dumbing down (barely any player agency or choices & consequences because it would be unfair and unbalancing for a group of players) and a less open/free level design and... and... and...

A game like TW3 never would have been even a fraction as good as it was if it would have been made with coop support. That is simply a natural fact.
The only genre where coop doesn't (completely) ruin the single player is something like Original Sin, i.e. turn-based RPGs because you can always be sure that all players are on the same page thanks to the turns. It still limits c&c somewhat but Larian have done a pretty good job to make it fair for everyone involved.

Aug 18, 2022, 13:34
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 18, 2022, 13:34
Aug 18, 2022, 13:34

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 18, 2022, 13:24:
The COOP changes to Dead Space 3 essentially ruined single player with reminders you couldn't access certain areas because you made the mistake of playing single player.
I'm sure there're other games that have done the same with shitty coop implementation.

No dude, those Coop areas were added as a bonus for those who did play Coop. I played though those areas and not one of them had anything to do with the main story, it was just added extra areas to play in.

As for those barriers he mentioned, yes, those are there for a specific reason of keeping those who play Coop together so someone like you Roque that wants to run off and do your own thing cant. If all your going to do is run off playing Solo in a Coop group, then way are you even playing Coop to begin with?

And BTW, no one says you have to play the game Coop. You can always elect to go it alone like any other SP game.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Aug 18, 2022, 13:24
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 18, 2022, 13:24
Aug 18, 2022, 13:24

The COOP changes to Dead Space 3 essentially ruined single player with reminders you couldn't access certain areas because you made the mistake of playing single player.
I'm sure there're other games that have done the same with shitty coop implementation.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Aug 18, 2022, 13:16
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 18, 2022, 13:16
Aug 18, 2022, 13:16

Quinn wrote on Aug 18, 2022, 13:00:
I know you're a big fan of coop, Darks! But does this affect your judgement? You don't honestly believe coops games played solo have a similar depth as purely sp games, right?

Vince you of all people should know better. And yes, I firmly believe that. I have seen it first hand in many Coop games. This is like saying the new Skyrim Together mod now makes Skyrim a shit game all because someone add Coop to it. Again, it does not change the context of the base game or story if its written from the start of development.

Seriously!!!!

Aug 18, 2022, 13:00
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 18, 2022, 13:00
Aug 18, 2022, 13:00

I know you're a big fan of coop, Darks! But does this affect your judgement? You don't honestly believe coops games played solo have a similar depth as purely sp games, right?
Currently playing: Spider-man, Sea of Thieves, Horizon Zero Dawn

Aug 18, 2022, 12:15
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 18, 2022, 12:15
Aug 18, 2022, 12:15

Darks wrote on Aug 18, 2022, 11:06:
RogueSix wrote on Aug 18, 2022, 10:29:
I really hope this will be as good or better (which will be very hard) as Batman AK. Will definitely wait until there is a GOTY. Some people here seem to be expecting a great multiplayer experience. This is a very bad sign for me cuz zero fucks given about multiplayer but if it is true that this game does focus on multiplayer/coop then it is guaranteed to suck in single player so I'm hoping against all odds that the single player will not be the afterthought that it most likely will be. Fingers crossed.

Just becasue it has Coop does not make a game suck. I don't know where you get your information from, but your assumptions are all wrong. Games that have Coop are also able to be played Solo. Makes no difference if the story has Coop. it does not change the context of the game play or story.

You must be incredibly naive if you seriously believe that. I don't even know what to say as I'm in awe at such ignorance .

Entire essays and books as thick as the Holy Bible have been written about the challenges of narrative design as soon as multiplayer enters the stage. Things start to become incredibly complex as soon as you need to present a good story to several players. How do you make sure that every player experiences the story in the same way? How do you make sure when one player interacts with a character that the other player has a chance to interact as well? How do you integrate choices & consequences in a fair way into a multiplayer game? Whose choices supersede and apply? How do you include cool dynamic events in the world in a way so that all players are able to experience and participate on the same level?

I could continue this list ad infinitum. It should be very clear that you have to compromise and adapt your design in massive ways as soon as you target more than a single player. A single player is relatively easy to handle. There are still challenges like how do you make sure the player looks in the right direction to experience your epic content at the right moment but the challenges are infinitely easier to overcome than when you are dealing with a bunch of players. Many games "solve" this by putting choke points in the world where players need to congregate in order to progress the story but that is a really lame mechanic that constricts the flow of gameplay and forces artificial barriers to be put in the game world.

If you think about it (really THINK instead of knee-jerking) then it should be extremely obvious that a narrative experience for a coop/multiplayer action game must by its very nature make many, many compromises that a single player game does not have to make. The game must be designed very differently from the ground up. It's a natural law.

I have no problem if you prefer multiplayer coop for the beat-up some baddies lulz with buddies and beer. It is way more likely that you will get your way with Gotham Knight than me. I'm fully prepared for a huge disappointment that will never reach the heights of Arkham Asylum/City/Origins/Knight (they were all awesome in ascending order, with Knight being the best imo).
Only few players really care about a decent story or well written characters. Way more players care about multiplayer. That's why GK will have online coop. Sad for me, good for you. As I said, I will buy the GOTY on discount to tamper the disappointment.

Aug 18, 2022, 11:06
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 18, 2022, 11:06
Aug 18, 2022, 11:06

RogueSix wrote on Aug 18, 2022, 10:29:
I really hope this will be as good or better (which will be very hard) as Batman AK. Will definitely wait until there is a GOTY. Some people here seem to be expecting a great multiplayer experience. This is a very bad sign for me cuz zero fucks given about multiplayer but if it is true that this game does focus on multiplayer/coop then it is guaranteed to suck in single player so I'm hoping against all odds that the single player will not be the afterthought that it most likely will be. Fingers crossed.

Just becasue it has Coop does not make a game suck. I don't know where you get your information from, but your assumptions are all wrong. Games that have Coop are also able to be played Solo. Makes no difference if the story has Coop. it does not change the context of the game play or story.

Aug 18, 2022, 10:29
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 18, 2022, 10:29
Aug 18, 2022, 10:29

Aug 18, 2022, 10:08
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 18, 2022, 10:08
Aug 18, 2022, 10:08

Mullenkamp wrote on Aug 17, 2022, 21:10:
Laughing Man wrote on Aug 17, 2022, 17:19:
Remember when gone gold meant that it will be on store shelves within 2 weeks...now they no longer press them, and it still won't be out for 2 months. Not that I care, I'll be avoiding this game. Just odd that a game ready to be released won't be because of scheduled dates and events. I really miss the days of when it's done it's done and will be released shortly thereafter.

We simple PC folks might not be worthy of a physical release anymore but those darn console people still get one; and as it is of course beneath the mighty publisher to release something for the lowly PC users before the consoles... well, you know

(for me, in general, one of the reasons not to buy a "new" release anymore, b/c eff them publishers )
NGL it's been so long since I've even saw a console, I forgot they exist. I've never even seen a ps5 or XBX and most stores that sold games around here, now just sell a voucher with a code to download it. Haven't seen a hard copy of a game since being in a gamestop before the pandemic.

Aug 17, 2022, 23:07
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 17, 2022, 23:07
Aug 17, 2022, 23:07

Mullenkamp wrote on Aug 17, 2022, 21:10:
Remember when gone gold meant that it will be on store shelves within 2 weeks...now they no longer press them, and it still won't be out for 2 months. Not that I care, I'll be avoiding this game. Just odd that a game ready to be released won't be because of scheduled dates and events. I really miss the days of when it's done it's done and will be released shortly thereafter.

We simple PC folks might not be worthy of a physical release anymore but those darn console people still get one; and as it is of course beneath the mighty publisher to release something for the lowly PC users before the consoles... well, you know

(for me, in general, one of the reasons not to buy a "new" release anymore, b/c eff them publishers )

Starting to think that the month between now and "launch" is for a large day one patch.

Aug 17, 2022, 21:10
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 17, 2022, 21:10
Aug 17, 2022, 21:10

Aug 17, 2022, 19:28
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 17, 2022, 19:28
Aug 17, 2022, 19:28

Darks wrote on Aug 17, 2022, 18:45:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 17, 2022, 17:40:
Darks wrote on Aug 17, 2022, 15:00:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 17, 2022, 14:52:
I had really high hopes for this game but the whole "everyone has a gimmick" to move thing, and lots of lack of details in the world make it look meh.
Why can't I just zip line around as Robin like Batman in the previous games?

What are you talking about?

You can, each char has their own way of travel, being the grapple, or some other fast traveling they all can do. Have you even watch any of the char combat videos? Seems like you haven't!!

You mean Robin's using of the Justic League transporter system? or Demonic powers of Red Hood or the Glider Nightwing uses? Please don't ASSUME what I have and haven't watched. I've been following this game very closely.
Also not a fall of the Doom popping rainbow loot system either.

You do know that is not some made up shit of him teleporting right? Hes utilizing the Justice League’s teleportation technology to beam himself short distances during combat. This is not some made up BS in the game.

As for the loot system, It does not bother me one bit. There's a transmog system in place so its not like you will lose your costume or look.

Dark I don't know who pissed you off, but I have followed the game and for you to make personal attacks to me on Steam is typically very much beneath you. I have the right to my opinion, I have followed the game since it was announced as I have been wanting a co-op game since Arkham 2.

As for Robin tapping into the teleporting system to move 30 yard, it's stupid. Same as Nightwing's glider, or Red Hood's new demonic powers. It's taken everything Rockstar built apon and turned it into trash. Batman and Robin and Nightwing and Batgirl and Red Hood zipline and grapple their way across the city.
It's like their test group was a bunch of 12 year old Fortnite players. "hey kids doesn't this look cool?!?"

Aug 17, 2022, 18:45
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 17, 2022, 18:45
Aug 17, 2022, 18:45

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 17, 2022, 17:40:
I had really high hopes for this game but the whole "everyone has a gimmick" to move thing, and lots of lack of details in the world make it look meh.

You can, each char has their own way of travel, being the grapple, or some other fast traveling they all can do. Have you even watch any of the char combat videos? Seems like you haven't!!

You mean Robin's using of the Justic League transporter system? or Demonic powers of Red Hood or the Glider Nightwing uses? Please don't ASSUME what I have and haven't watched. I've been following this game very closely.

You do know that is not some made up shit of him teleporting right? Hes utilizing the Justice League’s teleportation technology to beam himself short distances during combat. This is not some made up BS in the game.

As for the loot system, It does not bother me one bit. There's a transmog system in place so its not like you will lose your costume or look.

Aug 17, 2022, 17:40
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 17, 2022, 17:40
Aug 17, 2022, 17:40

Aug 17, 2022, 17:19
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 17, 2022, 17:19
Aug 17, 2022, 17:19

Aug 17, 2022, 15:00
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 17, 2022, 15:00
Aug 17, 2022, 15:00

Aug 17, 2022, 14:52
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 17, 2022, 14:52
Aug 17, 2022, 14:52

Aug 17, 2022, 13:51
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 17, 2022, 13:51
Aug 17, 2022, 13:51

Xero wrote on Aug 17, 2022, 13:26:
That's awesome. I hope you can do this game entirely solo just fine because that's my kind of jam at this stage of my life. I enjoyed Batman Origins way more than I thought I would so I trust this team of developers. Just once again, another game I will not try out until I upgrade my PC, lol.

You can, play it Solo or Coop. its only 2 players Coop, which surprised me.

Hope you get a new pc upgrade soon. To many good games coming out soon.

Aug 17, 2022, 13:26
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 17, 2022, 13:26
Aug 17, 2022, 13:26

That's awesome. I hope you can do this game entirely solo just fine because that's my kind of jam at this stage of my life. I enjoyed Batman Origins way more than I thought I would so I trust this team of developers. Just once again, another game I will not try out until I upgrade my PC, lol.

Aug 17, 2022, 13:10
Re: Gone Gold - Gotham Knights Aug 17, 2022, 13:10
Aug 17, 2022, 13:10

Seems a bit sudden to be gold since the game does not release until Oct 25th.

But, I am looking forward to this game. Open world Batman game that's Coop.

Many of the new game play videos looked really good. plus the video on how they build the world from the ground up and the ground down looks really good. If you all haven't seen it, check it out. its pretty good.

https://youtu.be/cs1_zOX2FqQ

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older