7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Aug 16, 2022, 18:22
Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 16, 2022, 18:22
Aug 16, 2022, 18:22

Argonius the 3rd wrote on Aug 16, 2022, 14:07:
*AMD will announce its next generation Ryzen processors on August 29.
*NVIDIA & AMD GPU Prices Expected To Fall Further By End of August.

I am looking to upgrade my 8 year old desktop, is this a good time, or it's better to wait for the next graphics cards/AMD cpu's ?

This depends on many factors. Do you want to upgrade and be "safe" for the next eight years again? Or would three/four years do as well?

The current situation really isn't as ideal as it could be:

- DDR5 is expensive af compared to DDR4 RAM. The purported "sweet spot" for AMD Zen4 is DDR5-6000 (faster RAM would actually slow down the system, same as with previous Zen generations). Needless to say that you are going to want a quality kit with low timings. The problem is that those kits are not really on the market yet. There are some announcements but nothing tangible yet and it will probably take a while until prices come down. We will have to wait for faster clocks like DDR5-7200, DDR5-8400 etc. before the lower end stuff (which is currently high end) will get more affordable. This is nothing new. It's the usual cycle as new DDR RAM hits the market. It will take a while for the really good price/performance kits with high clocks, low latency and affordable prices to materialize.

- PCIe 5.0: Nice in theory, almost no use in practice (yet). It is unlikely that the new GPUs from AMD/nVidia will really max out PCIe 5.0 bandwidth. AFAIK, it remains unconfirmed if they will even ship with PCIe 5.0 interface or if they will use PCIe 4.0. And the situation is similar with SSDs. There aren't really any PCIe 5.0 SSDs yet, just some announcements. New PCIe 5.0 SSDs will most likely be expensive and require extra decent cooling. The real world performance gain compared to PCIe 4.0 SSDs will be measurable but not perceptible unless you are copying GBs of data all day or editing videos like no tomorrow. Whether DirectStorage will benefit from anything faster than PCIe 3.0 remains to be seen.

- ATX 3.0: We are on the verge of the introduction of ATX 3.0. In simplified terms, it is a new specification that demands PSUs to deliver at least 2x their nominal power for a few microseconds, i.e. a 1000W needs to be able to sustain 2000W peaks for a short amount of time. Modern GPUs can cause such spikes and PSUs are getting upgraded so the GPU does not hit the power limit causing it to throttle down. New ATX 3.0 PSUs are also expected to ship with the new 16-pin (12VHPWR) connector which is not a requirement of ATX 3.0 per se but most modern PSUs should have it. The 16-pin connector can supply 600W of power to a GPU which might be needed for upcoming high end GPUs from AMD and nVidia. You can also use three/four 8-pin cables and plug them into an adapter for 12VHPWR but eeewwww.... messy, messy...

So, on a whole we're really in a phase of transition. Lots of new stuff, high prices for the new shinies, lots of announcements with no products brought to market yet. That's why buying a Zen4 rig may not be such a bad idea as a previous poster said. You will pay only a fraction of the price of a new AM5, DDR5-6000, PCIe 5.0 rig and if you go for a CPU like the Ryzen 5800X3D you should be good for a few years to come (maybe not eight though). This would be even more true if you plan on upgrading to a 4K screen as well since you will be GPU limited almost all of the time.

Or, if you can wait another generation then, yeah, that might be a really good idea, too, because DDR5 availability, clocks, latency and pricing will only get better with time and socket AM5 mainboards will also improve quite a bit from chipset generation to chipset generation. If you want to buy AM5 as soon as possible, I would still wait at least for the 3D cache variants. AMD will most likely only announce the 7950X, 7900X, 7700X and 7600X at first. Note how the 7800X is absent. The 5800X was probably the most popular Zen3 so this is a clear sign of special plans. It could be that AMD is only planning on a 3D cache variant, i.e. no regular 7800X but only a 7800X3D. Whatever it may be... waiting for the full lineup would certainly make a lot of sense.

Aug 16, 2022, 18:05
Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 16, 2022, 18:05
Aug 16, 2022, 18:05

I am looking to upgrade my 8 year old desktop, is this a good time, or it's better to wait for the next graphics cards/AMD cpu's ?

Wait until the end of the month at least. It all depends on your budget, what screen res you run at etc.. The low end graphics cards I doubt will drop below $200 for the entry level but things be crazy yo. Best deals as it were will be on the fire sale high tier gpu's once the new stuff is announced. The current gen cpu's are a great deal that could go cheaper and at best you'll see the new stuff just bring back the release prices for the previous generations. Namely, the new cpus will be $300 for a top end 6 core, $400-450 for an 8 core and so on. That is the best case scenario in my view. The new stuff will be kept up price wise to move out the old products so the prices don't completely crash.

Aug 16, 2022, 18:02
Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 16, 2022, 18:02
Aug 16, 2022, 18:02

phinn wrote on Aug 16, 2022, 16:35:

Obviously wait a couple months. Current pricing will fall or get better new stuff. RTX 4000, Zen 4, and Raptor Lake all coming soon.

RDNA3 too.

Aug 16, 2022, 16:35
Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 16, 2022, 16:35
Aug 16, 2022, 16:35

Obviously wait a couple months. Current pricing will fall or get better new stuff. RTX 4000, Zen 4, and Raptor Lake all coming soon.

Aug 16, 2022, 16:03
Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 16, 2022, 16:03
Aug 16, 2022, 16:03

theglaze wrote on Aug 16, 2022, 14:49:
There are some smokin' hot deals out there for 'current gen' parts. Next-gen is hyped to be +30% faster, but with scalpers probably scooping up all the launch AMD cpus and Nvidia gpus, I think it will take months for MSRP of next-gen to be viable because there are enough crazy mofos to buy inflated prices. Also, I'd be hesitant to buy first generation of AM4 socket and chipsets from AMD.

But hey, if you got the budget for next-gen, don't let me hold you back Wiseguy

The reliable sources say 80%+ on GPUs and much less than that, but still substantial on CPUs.

To upgrade now when in a mere few months you'll get new Intel/AMD CPUs ( release is end of September ) and new Nvidia/AMD GPUs ( October to December ) is a VERY BAD IDEA. Unless you get a stupidly good deal on the current gen stuff, don't do that, just don't.

And no scalping won't nearly be as big an issue as it was during the pandemic when demand was sky high. Demand has CRATERED and were on the brink of a recession with heavy inflation. Scalping will not be a problem beyond perhaps the first month after release.

Aug 16, 2022, 14:49
Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 16, 2022, 14:49
Aug 16, 2022, 14:49

There are some smokin' hot deals out there for 'current gen' parts. Next-gen is hyped to be +30% faster, but with scalpers probably scooping up all the launch AMD cpus and Nvidia gpus, I think it will take months for MSRP of next-gen to be viable because there are enough crazy mofos to buy inflated prices. Also, I'd be hesitant to buy first generation of AM4 socket and chipsets from AMD.

But hey, if you got the budget for next-gen, don't let me hold you back Wiseguy

Aug 16, 2022, 14:07
Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 16, 2022, 14:07
Aug 16, 2022, 14:07

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older