Aug 12, 2022, 17:23
Jivaro

Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 12, 2022, 17:23
Aug 12, 2022, 17:23
 Jivaro

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 12, 2022, 04:29:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 12, 2022, 02:41:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 12, 2022, 01:28:
I don't understand how being able to match or slightly beat a card that has been out for some time is an accomplishment?

Think of it this way:

The Douglas Aircraft Company suddenly comes out of nowhere (after rising from the grave) with a new jet aircraft. It's every bit as capable as the F-16s, F-18s, and F-15s. Jets that are still in active service. It can't compete with the F-22s...yet. But it has the capability to do so in the future with more development if the current version can find a market.

I find that somewhat impressive. If anything I would prefer to encourage Intel so that hopefully we can break the stranglehold that the current duopoly has on the GPU market.

But I'm going to stretch this in to the future and speculate a bit. Imagine having a system that has an APU that can do everything you want to do with it, gaming wise. That means smaller, cooler, lighter, and hopefully more power efficient systems. That's pretty awesome to me.

The AMD 5700G is a good example of one of the first steps forward in that direction.

Also, we need to remember that everyone here is an outlier. We're the 1% of gamers.

The only problem is that there is no "Duopoly" - Nvidia is 76% of the market vs AMD with 14% vs Intel (with pseudo GPUs) with 9%

But yeah, the moment we can go full APU I would guess most people would instantly yeet their feet heater out of the system. Competing against AMD is like already admitting defeat.
And Intel would be well served to not market their first prototype gadget to gamers. We are 1% yeah, but we have 99% of the media reach. ^^

And what does it even matter when AMD/Nvidia have DECADES of driver optimizations that INTEL does not have? Intel won't catch up to serve the thousands of back-catalogue games.

Thank you both of you. Some perspectives there I had not thought of.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Aug 12, 2022, 04:29
Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 12, 2022, 04:29
Aug 12, 2022, 04:29

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 12, 2022, 02:41:
I don't understand how being able to match or slightly beat a card that has been out for some time is an accomplishment?

Think of it this way:

The Douglas Aircraft Company suddenly comes out of nowhere (after rising from the grave) with a new jet aircraft. It's every bit as capable as the F-16s, F-18s, and F-15s. Jets that are still in active service. It can't compete with the F-22s...yet. But it has the capability to do so in the future with more development if the current version can find a market.

I find that somewhat impressive. If anything I would prefer to encourage Intel so that hopefully we can break the stranglehold that the current duopoly has on the GPU market.

But I'm going to stretch this in to the future and speculate a bit. Imagine having a system that has an APU that can do everything you want to do with it, gaming wise. That means smaller, cooler, lighter, and hopefully more power efficient systems. That's pretty awesome to me.

The AMD 5700G is a good example of one of the first steps forward in that direction.

Also, we need to remember that everyone here is an outlier. We're the 1% of gamers.

The only problem is that there is no "Duopoly" - Nvidia is 76% of the market vs AMD with 14% vs Intel (with pseudo GPUs) with 9%

But yeah, the moment we can go full APU I would guess most people would instantly yeet their feet heater out of the system. Competing against AMD is like already admitting defeat.
And Intel would be well served to not market their first prototype gadget to gamers. We are 1% yeah, but we have 99% of the media reach. ^^

And what does it even matter when AMD/Nvidia have DECADES of driver optimizations that INTEL does not have? Intel won't catch up to serve the thousands of back-catalogue games.

Aug 12, 2022, 02:41
Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 12, 2022, 02:41
Aug 12, 2022, 02:41

Think of it this way:

"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Aug 12, 2022, 01:28
Jivaro

Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 12, 2022, 01:28
Aug 12, 2022, 01:28
 Jivaro

I don't understand how being able to match or slightly beat a card that has been out for some time is an accomplishment? I mean, not without a price drop that makes it worth looking at.

Aug 11, 2022, 19:04
Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 11, 2022, 19:04
Aug 11, 2022, 19:04

Wake me in three years when they are considered serious contenders and not simply curiosities for web content maker enthusiasts.

Aug 11, 2022, 18:43
Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 11, 2022, 18:43
Aug 11, 2022, 18:43

A graphics card is not very good without good drivers. It seems that Intel has the hardware working, but the software drivers need far more attention. Probably going to have to really discount the cards until they get some decent drivers.

Aug 11, 2022, 13:04
Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 11, 2022, 13:04
Aug 11, 2022, 13:04

And when you try to run a DX11 game you get 5 fps
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older