Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews
Aug 12, 2022, 19:31
Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 12, 2022, 19:31
Aug 12, 2022, 19:31

Quinn wrote on Aug 12, 2022, 02:49:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2022, 20:55:
Batman Arkham Knight
"The PC version was pulled from stores on June 24, 2015 due to being released in a poor state, reworked and re-released on October 28, 2015, and continued to see additional development through early 2016 which brought various performance and stability improvements as well as bugfixes."
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Batman:_Arkham_Knight

Yeah I'm sure that's right! I couldn't really test it myself because by then I had a sick rig upgrade anyway. During the initial release I just disabled all NVIDIA settings and it ran perfectly fine, too. I wonder if that release would've been such a dumpster fire if those settings just weren't there to be enabled in the first place lol.

If the fix would have been as easy as just disabling all nVidia special effects then the game would have never been pulled from stores for over four full months. As I said, I'm sure that the nVidia stuff exacerbated the issues with the lazy, sloppy, piss-poor PC port but it surely was not the root cause, let alone the sole root cause. The game obviously had massive issues with gfx memory and the streaming technology. It could not load/stream the game world into VRAM fast enough and it needed more VRAM than most of the cards at that time provided (the very popular GTX 970 had only 3.5GB and the consensus later on in 2016 was that you ideally needed a Pascal gfx card with 8GB VRAM for a quality AK experience, i.e. a GTX 1070/1080/1080Ti was highly recommended) . I played it on Pascal and never had an issue worth mentioning.

Aug 12, 2022, 02:49
Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 12, 2022, 02:49
Aug 12, 2022, 02:49

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2022, 20:55:
Batman Arkham Knight
"The PC version was pulled from stores on June 24, 2015 due to being released in a poor state, reworked and re-released on October 28, 2015, and continued to see additional development through early 2016 which brought various performance and stability improvements as well as bugfixes."

Yeah I'm sure that's right! I couldn't really test it myself because by then I had a sick rig upgrade anyway. During the initial release I just disabled all NVIDIA settings and it ran perfectly fine, too. I wonder if that release would've been such a dumpster fire if those settings just weren't there to be enabled in the first place lol.
Currently playing: Spider-man, Sea of Thieves, Horizon Zero Dawn

Aug 11, 2022, 20:55
Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 11, 2022, 20:55
Aug 11, 2022, 20:55

Batman Arkham Knight
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Aug 11, 2022, 17:57
Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 11, 2022, 17:57
Aug 11, 2022, 17:57

Quinn wrote on Aug 11, 2022, 12:24:
RogueSix wrote on Aug 11, 2022, 11:09:
heroin wrote on Aug 10, 2022, 15:04:
Quinn wrote on Aug 10, 2022, 14:31:
If you mean it took all the good things from the Arkham games and put it into this one, that's definitely not a bad thing. Something about reinventing the wheel yada yada

I was playing Batman Arkham Knight for the first time a couple of months ago and it still holds up well against most games these days. I honestly liked the tank/batmobile which was a big complaint for a lot of people.

It's a really silly complaint since the Batmobile is completely optional with the exception of one single very easy main quest. Other than that, you only need the Batmobile for optional side content.

I only played the GOTY of Arkham Knight after all the release drama had long subsided and it is one of my most favorite games of all time. I almost only used the Batmobile when it was required (races, Riddler stuff etc.). Flying around the city was way more fun to me. I only used the Batmobile to speed up and to eject into the air for the flight to the next objective. Arkham Knight had a great story, awesome characters and a very unique, dense atmosphere.

I will definitely get Spidey one fine day when it is on sale. If it matches Arkham Knight's quality or at least the quality of one of the previous Batman games (I liked them all in ascending order) then I'll be a happy camper.

I have the unorthodox opinion that NVIDIA is at fault for Arkham Knights initial PC debacle. That game was promoted for NVIDIAs new technologies like mad -- the soft shadows, physx stuff, the low hanging fog reacting to movement, the rain, etc. Everyone had that stuff enabled. It destroyed performance. Utterly destroyed it. Disabling all NVIDIA graphical settings made it a very stable and fine running game on a proper rig.

When I played the game (fully patched GOTY), I played it with all the (nVidia) bells and whistles enabled and it ran like a charm on my GTX 1080 (IIRC) with merely a very rare microstutter when you were going at 200mph in the Batmobile right through the city. The game looked absolutely spectacular and I'm sure it's still holding up today, even though it is only Unreal Engine 3.

As far as I can remember, the game ran mostly fine from the start as long as you had a graphics card with at least 8GB VRAM (only the Titan had 12GB back when the game was initially released). I don't think that the nVidia effects per se were to blame but simply poor, sloppy optimization of the PC port (as always with 98% of AAA games). The nVidia special effects certainly exacerbated the problem, however.

I'm definitely glad I waited for all the DLC and the patches. Arkham Knight GOTY is way up there on my list of all time favs and for me it is luckily completely untainted by the whole release drama. What an awesome (looking) game all around. It will be very tough for Spidey to match or even surpass that experience. As far as I am concerned, Arkham Knight is the benchmark for superhero games. You'd have to pull off something very special to even begin to dethrone AK.

Aug 11, 2022, 13:29
El Pit

Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 11, 2022, 13:29
Aug 11, 2022, 13:29
 El Pit

Quinn wrote on Aug 11, 2022, 13:18:
That's a principle about 10 bucks too expensive to give a shit about 😅 Especially for full-priced ports/remasters from behemoth companies. All my indie games I don't buy on the gray market though. Just bough Mortuary Assistant on Steam for example. My god that game is scary and good.
As long a as it is good for you, alright. I lost a Steam key for Fallout 4 that I had bought at G2A and that got revoked. Never again. I got my money back but only after sending a screenshot of my Steam library. This taught me a lesson about who I am dealing with when it comes to key resellers. No, thank you.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Aug 11, 2022, 13:18
Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 11, 2022, 13:18
Aug 11, 2022, 13:18

El Pit wrote on Aug 11, 2022, 13:04:
Quinn wrote on Aug 11, 2022, 08:44:
El Pit wrote on Aug 11, 2022, 06:43:
Beamer wrote on Aug 11, 2022, 05:30:
El Pit wrote on Aug 11, 2022, 05:06:
I should not have but did... *sigh* I am weak. I never wanted to preorder anything ever again but did now. Green Man Gaming's price was just too good.
If they do not fix the tech problems, I will be throwing temper tantrums for months.

I'm currently in Europe, and GMG shows the same price.

I also preordered. I'm on a 10 flight tomorrow, and this could be a fun way to spend it.
I am in the EU and my price was (logged in to GMG and with a small VIP percentage) 50.39 Euro instead of the usual 59.99 Eurobucks. For a preorder of a complete game (with DLC and bells and whistles), this is a fair price IMO.

I bought it for 41 euros on Kinguin yesterday.
I don't use key resellers like G2A/Kinguin - gray market!

That's a principle about 10 bucks too expensive to give a shit about 😅 Especially for full-priced ports/remasters from behemoth companies. All my indie games I don't buy on the gray market though. Just bough Mortuary Assistant on Steam for example. My god that game is scary and good.

Aug 11, 2022, 13:04
El Pit

Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 11, 2022, 13:04
Aug 11, 2022, 13:04
 El Pit

Quinn wrote on Aug 11, 2022, 08:44:
I should not have but did... *sigh* I am weak. I never wanted to preorder anything ever again but did now. Green Man Gaming's price was just too good.
If they do not fix the tech problems, I will be throwing temper tantrums for months.

I also preordered. I'm on a 10 flight tomorrow, and this could be a fun way to spend it.
I am in the EU and my price was (logged in to GMG and with a small VIP percentage) 50.39 Euro instead of the usual 59.99 Eurobucks. For a preorder of a complete game (with DLC and bells and whistles), this is a fair price IMO.

I don't use key resellers like G2A/Kinguin - gray market!

Aug 11, 2022, 12:24
Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 11, 2022, 12:24
Aug 11, 2022, 12:24

RogueSix wrote on Aug 11, 2022, 11:09:
If you mean it took all the good things from the Arkham games and put it into this one, that's definitely not a bad thing. Something about reinventing the wheel yada yada

I was playing Batman Arkham Knight for the first time a couple of months ago and it still holds up well against most games these days. I honestly liked the tank/batmobile which was a big complaint for a lot of people.

It's a really silly complaint since the Batmobile is completely optional with the exception of one single very easy main quest. Other than that, you only need the Batmobile for optional side content.

I only played the GOTY of Arkham Knight after all the release drama had long subsided and it is one of my most favorite games of all time. I almost only used the Batmobile when it was required (races, Riddler stuff etc.). Flying around the city was way more fun to me. I only used the Batmobile to speed up and to eject into the air for the flight to the next objective. Arkham Knight had a great story, awesome characters and a very unique, dense atmosphere.

I will definitely get Spidey one fine day when it is on sale. If it matches Arkham Knight's quality or at least the quality of one of the previous Batman games (I liked them all in ascending order) then I'll be a happy camper.

I have the unorthodox opinion that NVIDIA is at fault for Arkham Knights initial PC debacle. That game was promoted for NVIDIAs new technologies like mad -- the soft shadows, physx stuff, the low hanging fog reacting to movement, the rain, etc. Everyone had that stuff enabled. It destroyed performance. Utterly destroyed it. Disabling all NVIDIA graphical settings made it a very stable and fine running game on a proper rig.

Aug 11, 2022, 12:03
Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 11, 2022, 12:03
Aug 11, 2022, 12:03

Reviews are favorable on the Steam Deck. Enjoy!
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Aug 11, 2022, 11:52
Kxmode

Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 11, 2022, 11:52
Aug 11, 2022, 11:52
 Kxmode

Come on, gamers! I thought we all agreed never to preorder. Launch day could be terrible. Remember? Don't get all hype-imental on me now. Smart
"I used to fence at Bel-Air Academy." "Oh, really? How much do you think we could get for that stereo?"

Aug 11, 2022, 11:09
Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 11, 2022, 11:09
Aug 11, 2022, 11:09

Aug 11, 2022, 08:44
Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 11, 2022, 08:44
Aug 11, 2022, 08:44

Aug 11, 2022, 06:43
El Pit

Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 11, 2022, 06:43
Aug 11, 2022, 06:43
 El Pit

Aug 11, 2022, 05:30
Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 11, 2022, 05:30
Aug 11, 2022, 05:30

Aug 11, 2022, 05:06
El Pit

Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 11, 2022, 05:06
Aug 11, 2022, 05:06
 El Pit

Aug 11, 2022, 01:04
Kxmode

Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 11, 2022, 01:04
Aug 11, 2022, 01:04
 Kxmode

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Aug 10, 2022, 23:45:
Darks wrote on Aug 10, 2022, 19:23:
People who are not really qualified to do that job or are not fans of the game.

A fan seems like the very last person you would want reviewing something.
FACTS
"I used to fence at Bel-Air Academy." "Oh, really? How much do you think we could get for that stereo?"

Aug 10, 2022, 23:45
Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 10, 2022, 23:45
Aug 10, 2022, 23:45

People who are not really qualified to do that job or are not fans of the game.

A fan seems like the very last person you would want reviewing something.

Aug 10, 2022, 23:08
Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 10, 2022, 23:08
Aug 10, 2022, 23:08

Lets just put it this way (at least on PS4), this is a system selling game. As well as Miles Morales (and the only other game on the console I would say is Horizon Zero Dawn).

PCG's review goes into no stealth options (which are totally there if you want to use them), but they are like in the Batman series (not including Origins which I have yet to finish and about to restart a playthrough of the entire series), in that you can go in fists blazing, or with gadet's or stealth. I never got tired to climbing up on high points, searching for collectibles, going for the bonus objectives during combat etc (which I typically fucking HATE). They also talk about the pacing of the game which is fine as shit ramps up at the end (think of it like Avenger's Endgame), and I didn't even mind playing as Mary Jane. The DLC is VERY solid. Also it's not a reskinned Batman game, as the combat is way more enviromental and vertical then Batman (and personally more fun and easier to really flow between fists, webs and gadets in combat).

Aug 10, 2022, 21:53
Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 10, 2022, 21:53
Aug 10, 2022, 21:53

I really enjoyed the tank/batmobile too. They made the driving and transforming so fluid, very hard to get caught on stuff in the city, you just destroy anything that would clip you.

Aug 10, 2022, 21:24
Kxmode

Re: Spider-Man Remastered Reviews Aug 10, 2022, 21:24
Aug 10, 2022, 21:24
 Kxmode

Quboid wrote on Aug 10, 2022, 13:18:
Darks wrote on Aug 10, 2022, 12:35:
PCG is utter trash anymore when it comes to reviewing games. a 75? Really?
Is that too low? Too high? What's wrong with their view?
Anyone know what PCG reviewed the Console ver at?
PC Gamer doesn't review console games.
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older