11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Aug 6, 2022, 15:32
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2022, 15:32
Aug 6, 2022, 15:32

jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2022, 15:24:
Apple at least used to operate that way. It took weeks and weeks for them to approve our real estate search app for the app store several years ago. It had to meet strict requirements before we submitted it. Then they did extensive testing on it.
Yeah, not so much these days. There have been multiple reports of the piles of applications which are scams which have been reported as scams repeatedly but have yet to be removed from the Apple store.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Aug 6, 2022, 15:24
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2022, 15:24
Aug 6, 2022, 15:24

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 6, 2022, 07:09:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2022, 04:44:
I hate crypto, but doesn't Google bear some responsibility here?
I am conflicted. Basically Google is acting as a third party distributor/vendor here. And while I would appreciate it if Google (and Apple and any other general application stores) would/could act responsibly and verify the applications in their stores are at least not straight up theft devices. However, I suspect the reality is the cost which would be required for them to do so would simply mean the number of applications available would be reduced to a very small sliver of what is currently available. And this is from someone who as literally only ever downloaded 2 or 3 mobile applications in over a decade of having a smart phone.

In this particular case, I don't have much sympathy for the guy. Crypto is known for being filled with scams and theft. If you are going to download a wallet you better be doing a bunch of research/surfing trying to get some kind of consensus from other users on what is and isn't valid, known, and believably safe. Even then, in the crypto world you aren't guaranteed to be safe.
Apple at least used to operate that way. It took weeks and weeks for them to approve our real estate search app for the app store several years ago. It had to meet strict requirements before we submitted it. Then they did extensive testing on it.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Aug 6, 2022, 14:42
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2022, 14:42
Aug 6, 2022, 14:42

I'm sorry, but if you have $800k in crypto, your wallet should be on a thumb drive in a safe, and you shouldn't be linking it to ANY app that requires you to divulge your private key. If you want play around with a wallet or crypto investment app, then setup a second wallet and transfer a small amount into it that you're willing to risk.

These stories always involve people that don't understand the technology, and have no business using crypto as an investment strategy.

The guy is an idiot, and Google should call him that in court.
- “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.” -George Carlin

Aug 6, 2022, 09:56
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2022, 09:56
Aug 6, 2022, 09:56

fujiJuice wrote on Aug 6, 2022, 09:01:
Seriously. $800,000 and you just download the first app you see? Consider it a down payment on your stupidity and move on.
It does make you wonder how he managed to get $800,000. I mean with quality thinking like that it seems unlikely he was an early investor who turned $10,000 into $800,000 -- he would have lost it one way or another long before now....

Aug 6, 2022, 09:01
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2022, 09:01
Aug 6, 2022, 09:01

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 6, 2022, 07:09:
In this particular case, I don't have much sympathy for the guy. Crypto is known for being filled with scams and theft. If you are going to download a wallet you better be doing a bunch of research/surfing trying to get some kind of consensus from other users on what is and isn't valid, known, and believably safe. Even then, in the crypto world you aren't guaranteed to be safe.

Seriously. $800,000 and you just download the first app you see? Consider it a down payment on your stupidity and move on.

Aug 6, 2022, 07:09
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2022, 07:09
Aug 6, 2022, 07:09

I hate crypto, but doesn't Google bear some responsibility here?
I am conflicted. Basically Google is acting as a third party distributor/vendor here. And while I would appreciate it if Google (and Apple and any other general application stores) would/could act responsibly and verify the applications in their stores are at least not straight up theft devices. However, I suspect the reality is the cost which would be required for them to do so would simply mean the number of applications available would be reduced to a very small sliver of what is currently available. And this is from someone who as literally only ever downloaded 2 or 3 mobile applications in over a decade of having a smart phone.

Aug 6, 2022, 05:32
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2022, 05:32
Aug 6, 2022, 05:32

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 5, 2022, 20:10:
I'm no fan of Google but I hope that moron has to pay Alphabet's legal fees.
I hate crypto, but doesn't Google bear some responsibility here? When you buy a Porsche from the dealer,, you're expecting a model of German engineering, not a cheap Chinese knockoff.
Heh, current Spiegel 23/2022 article: (free translation) "Majority of the 6000 parts in an Audi E-tron are made in China"

Just thought that is funny you should mention this

Aug 6, 2022, 04:44
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2022, 04:44
Aug 6, 2022, 04:44

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 5, 2022, 20:10:
I hate crypto, but doesn't Google bear some responsibility here? When you buy a Porsche from the dealer,, you're expecting a model of German engineering, not a cheap Chinese knockoff.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Aug 5, 2022, 20:10
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 5, 2022, 20:10
Aug 5, 2022, 20:10

- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Aug 5, 2022, 19:56
Kxmode

Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 5, 2022, 19:56
Aug 5, 2022, 19:56
 Kxmode

Reading these crypto articles made me...

............................................________........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:,........
.....................,?......................................................\,.....
.................../...........................................................,}....
................./......................................................,:`^`..}....
.............../...................................................,:”........./.....
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............

...for different reasons.
"What does Ramen mean? It means Japanese spaghetti."

Aug 5, 2022, 16:55
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 5, 2022, 16:55
Aug 5, 2022, 16:55

Nasty Fraud Technology it is
Obligatory: Web3IsGoingGreat
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older